Disney preparing for a "very prolonged shutdown"?

I heard they were going to open in phases. First to locals, second to the US AND third to the rest of the world. No idea when this is all happening but it seems to make sense. And that all 3 theme parks, Disney, universal and sea world are all opening at the same time.
I hope it’s open to the US in October cause my boyfriend and I are a comin’! (hopeful thinking!)🤞

I have a friend from work who's supposed to go down on June 1st and she's insisting everything will be open by then and to stay positive. I'm trying to have hope for her but the way things are working out so far and the rumor that the parks may not even open until next year, there's not much to be hopeful for.

I have a friend from work who's supposed to go down on June 1st and she's insisting everything will be open by then and to stay positive. I'm trying to have hope for her but the way things are working out so far and the rumor that the parks may not even open until next year, there's not much to be hopeful for.
While none of us knows, the friend might want to think in reality. I hope it’s open and she gets to go. But they can’t re open over night. The shut down time is probably not going to move up. Once things are open I would expect a few weeks until theme parks can get up and running. Just my opinion.

While none of us knows, the friend might want to think in reality. I hope it’s open and she gets to go. But they can’t re open over night. The shut down time is probably not going to move up. Once things are open I would expect a few weeks until theme parks can get up and running. Just my opinion.

You only have to look at those photos of Shanghai Disney that someone posted....and see how they are setting up the park with areas taped off on the ground for social distancing, to understand that the Disney experience is going to be very different whenever it does open.

You only have to look at those photos of Shanghai Disney that someone posted....and see how they are setting up the park with areas taped off on the ground for social distancing, to understand that the Disney experience is going to be very different whenever it does open.
Definitely! question is if you want to go anyway or pay for restrictions. I will,,,but thats me.

That’s right. And many won’t have the money to go. Myself won’t go due to what you are talking about.

Not to mention there are some serious supply chain issues with getting the stuff you need to do this sort of testing. It's not like the US is the ONLY country that wants to get it's hands on these supplies. It's going to take quite a bit of time before we get beyond testing health care workers and first responders for antibodies.

In Minnesota, the U and the Mayo clinic created their OWN antibody testing which DOES NOT depend on chemicals or equipment with known supply chain issues. I thought that was particularly smart. Even so, they are talking about testing capabilities of 10-15 K per day for each. Since we have roughly 6 million people, that still is a long *** time (200 days or so) just to get through every person in this state one time...and of course, subsequent testing for antibodies is going to be required if you test negative the first time, etc. None of this is quick. But, at least we've got something and are getting started.

So thankful to be living in Minnesota right now! I think our Governor has been sensible and very transparent about what we need to do, and now that the testing can be ramped up, we'll all know the true extent of the virus as more and more people are tested. We Got This!

Florida unemployment is $275 maximum. Not all of the them will get the maximum amount, probably very few actually. It’s a percentage of what they made while working. So while the extra 600 is great, it’s not exactly what you are saying.

And anyone getting unemployment can choose to have taxes held out so that’s is up to them. They ask you about it when you apply.
You are correct, I did not take into consideration what a specific claim for FL would be. Here in PA it is half of your weekly wage to $573 maximum per week. With the federal $600 the break even point is $29.33. If you make less than $29.33, then you are making more than you made working. That's a pretty dang high amount.

As for taxes, because people don't understand taxes, you have to pay taxes whether you have it withdrawn or pay next year in April, or it reduces your refund. Any way, you still pay taxes on it. Most people it seems think it's not taxed because generally taxes aren't taken out of unemployment (things could have changed, been a long time since I was collecting) and most people seem to think if it's not withheld, its not being taxed.

If they arent even opening a wide open outdoor park like Yellowstone in a partial capacity until mid-June, its very hard for me to see how WDW does

While I see your point, I will say that the last time I was at Yellowstone, certain areas were as busy as WDW.

I agree with this. It’s a popular park.

However, I have done trails at National Parks, where I saw maybe one or two people over the course of an entire day. It really depends.

If they arent even opening a wide open outdoor park like Yellowstone in a partial capacity until mid-June, its very hard for me to see how WDW does

After watching last night's "briefing" (none of them are brief...we need a new word for them).......about how the virus behaves under different temperatures and humidity.

One of the findings was that the virus lives for up to 2 hours on surfaces in an environment with a temperature of 95 degrees and 80% humidity, with no "solar"....so on a cloudy day. So then I took the 95 degrees and 80% humidity levels and ran it through a heat index calculator. And that's 134 degrees. And so, ok. Good to know. It's not even completely safe to outside on a cloudy day that is not compatible with human life. The virus will live 2 hours longer than I will. Awesome.

LOL! I mean...what on earth are they doing? It can still live for 2 hours on surfaces under those conditions, and that's supposed to make me feel *better*!!??!! I'm waiting for them to bring a microwave up on the dais so we can see if the virus does better on the "defrost" or "popcorn" settings.

So, if you do head to Disney this summer, if you happen to get a cloudy day for your MK day, and the heat index is lower than 134 degrees Fahrenheit, make sure to wear gloves, a mask and maybe just ride Dumbo.

Good grief.

I agree with this. It’s a popular park.

However, I have done trails at National Parks, where I saw maybe one or two people over the course of an entire day. It really depends.
Just about any national park, if you get 1/4 mile from a trailhead you are completely alone. That's true even in Great Smokys, the most heavily visited park in the system.

Just about any national park, if you get 1/4 mile from a trailhead you are completely alone. That's true even in Great Smokys, the most heavily visited park in the system.

It’s not true at Yosemite. However, they’re mostly Europeans. Check out the Mist Trail. Now you can avoid those crowds by taking the JMT that runs next to it. But it’s far less scenic to the falls.

Not to mention there are some serious supply chain issues with getting the stuff you need to do this sort of testing. It's not like the US is the ONLY country that wants to get it's hands on these supplies. It's going to take quite a bit of time before we get beyond testing health care workers and first responders for antibodies.

In Minnesota, the U and the Mayo clinic created their OWN antibody testing which DOES NOT depend on chemicals or equipment with known supply chain issues. I thought that was particularly smart. Even so, they are talking about testing capabilities of 10-15 K per day for each. Since we have roughly 6 million people, that still is a long *** time (200 days or so) just to get through every person in this state one time...and of course, subsequent testing for antibodies is going to be required if you test negative the first time, etc. None of this is quick. But, at least we've got something and are getting started.

Definitely not just about the US. This is a human problem that's threatening everyone on the planet. It's important that the particulars about how the virus is mastered will result in humanity as a whole being dominant over the virus and not the other way around.

$275 + $600 is $21/hour! The processing is a major problem, but why is everyone commenting on how little unemployment is going to pay and things like "$600 extra will help." That alone is $15/hour and most of the people aside from the problem with processing is going to make more on unemployment than they did working.

Not a single person at my work wants to come back. They are all making a LOT more on unemployment with $573 PA plus the $600. The $15/hour folk we have are now pulling in an equivalent $22/hour. Not only that, but most also don't realize taxes are not taken out, so it's more than doubling of their pay until they are crying next year when their $8000 tax refunds are smaller. At $15/hour, they clear $400/week. Now they are getting $900/week.

this is why, I specifically told my son to pull out 20% of his unemployment for taxes next year. That way it is already for him and he is not scrambling.

And also in regards to people saying that the after effects from having coved-19 can continue to give problems, they are probably right in that regard. A few years back when H1N1 came around I ended up getting it, and it was awful. The worse part is that I was still feeling the after effects of it for nearly a year. These diseases are dangerous and anyone can get them. This is why there are so many precautions in place.

Not a chance I'd say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter