Disney pulls the plug on new Disneyland hotel

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/...lk-away-from-a-100-million-business-windfall/

This article in the local newspaper recaps the sequence of events and provides some numbers to expected tax revenue to the city. Yes, even in the first twenty years the city would benefit. The article explains with some history of the tax break, developed by the city council to spur the development they wanted to add, and not due to any initial request by TWDC. However, Disney saw an opportunity and took advantage. Now the city apparently has sunk the project (at least for now) with the reversal of the permitting process. The city was projected to average $5 million a year in net taxes during the tax rebate program.

Does anyone here believe Rainforest Cafe or Earl of Sandwich, even combined, brings anywhere near $5 million a year in tax revenue? Because I do not.

...Basically, Anaheim had agreed to a large, long-term tax incentive package to help Disney finance the project, but after the LA Times wrote (what Disney described as a hit piece) an article calling out the project, public uproar ensued and a new city council used a quirk to cancel the incentive package...

No. A “hit piece” has ZERO to do with why the project was cancelled. Disney applied for a permit for one location, the city did the studies and approved the tax break and then Disney MOVED the location of the hotel. The city studies did not account for 1/3 of DtD being shutdown. While the move is “minimal” in terms of feet it was huge in terms of economic impact. Disney could have had 100% of their tax break if they built where they applied for but they chose to move the project to smack dab in the middle of DtD. Jokes on Disney for thinking this City of Anaheim council (already known to not play ball with them) would roll over and approve such a move. They are apparently welcome to apply for a permit for the new location but Disney has chosen not to. Imho Disney deserves the diserted disaster they have in DtD DLR 100%. They should have applied to move the location of the agreement prior to kicking everyone out. Instead they assumed they could do it. As my father has always told me, what are the first three letters in assumed?!

I hope when the project is rebooted it will be rebooted in a different location.
Welp. You and me both! If only they’d put it where the tax agreement said they intended to put it.

I’m also glad we won’t have to see this hotel that looks like it belongs in the 1970s every time we ride the monorail!

Does anyone here believe Rainforest Cafe or Earl of Sandwich, even combined, brings anywhere near $5 million a year in tax revenue? Because I do not.
But it wasn’t an either or situation. The city was supposed to get tax revenue from both DtD operations & the new hotel...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter