• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Disney Rash" - I only get it at one park. Anyone else?

One thing the original poster knows for sure...MK is the culprit.

The whole " only in MK" thing is really a mystery, truly. I doubt it is golfer's vasculitis. But hey, I'm not a doctor.

No, the OP 'does not' know for sure MK is the culprit - because it is not!!!!!!! We spend more time at Epcot than any other park and every visit to WDW, like clockwork, we get it. My dr. says it 'is' golfer's vasculitis. It's the only vacation we take (and most others) where you walk for miles during a week's time in the heat (even have gotten it in cooler weather, but not as bad).

Unless you have other underlying conditions, it goes away promptly and is harmless.

I wonder if it is from sitting on the benches in the monorail or the ferry to get to MK. Maybe Disney cleans the benches overnight and the chemical residue is still on the seats?

Later,
Dan

I was also thinking this or perhaps at MK they also use some sort of cleaner on the pavement for the horses. Wonder if it happens at MK more because it is usually the first park people visit on the vacation?

It seems people say they dot not get the rash anywhere else they walk all day. However I think Disney is very different..you walk a great deal with frequent standing in line and then sitting briefly on a ride and then continued walking. On normal vacations you may walk a great deal but this sort of walking and standing and short amount of sitting perhaps makes it happen.

It seems people say they dot not get the rash anywhere else they walk all day. However I think Disney is very different..you walk a great deal with frequent standing in line and then sitting briefly on a ride and then continued walking. On normal vacations you may walk a great deal but this sort of walking and standing and short amount of sitting perhaps makes it happen.

I don't get my rash at Universal (we went when it was hotter than when we usually do WDW) nor do I get it in Vegas (hotter and drier than when we go to MK) or at DL (granted when we last went to DL it was cooler than FL). Our "behavior" at Universal was identical to when we are at WDW: Lots of walking in the heat. Vegas is more times indoors vs WDW and DL was cooler. Universal Orlando in Sept should have been worse if it was the ambient weather/sun than at WDW but I got no rash at Universal.

For me, I don't think my rash is something systemic like golfer's vasculitis because I should have gotten it after 5 days at Universal and I didn't. I also didn't get it at Disneyland although when we went it was cooler in CA than it usually is in FL. I was fully prepared to get it at Universal and DL but didn't.

If it were systemic, like golfer's vasculitis, I certainly should have gotten it in Sept 2014 at Universal but didn't.

It's a nuisance, it looks ugly, and mine hurts but I only get it at WDW.

Last edited:

Other than simply not going to WDW any longer, there is The Simple Solution:

Jerry: He's a bubble boy
George: A bubble boy?
Jerry: Yes, a bubble boy
Susan: What's a bubble boy?
Jerry: He lives in a bubble
George: Boy

Other than simply not going to WDW any longer, there is The Simple Solution:

Jerry: He's a bubble boy
George: A bubble boy?
Jerry: Yes, a bubble boy
Susan: What's a bubble boy?
Jerry: He lives in a bubble
George: Boy

or cool off with a nice glass of wine in a cool bar! :flower:

Last edited:
I don't get my rash at Universal (we went when it was hotter than when we usually do WDW) nor do I get it in Vegas (hotter and drier than when we go to MK) or at DL (granted when we last went to DL it was cooler than FL). Our "behavior" at Universal was identical to when we are at WDW: Lots of walking in the heat. Vegas is more times indoors vs WDW and DL was cooler. Universal Orlando in Sept should have been worse if it was the ambient weather/sun than at WDW but I got no rash at Universal.

For me, I don't think my rash is something systemic like golfer's vasculitis because I should have gotten it after 5 days at Universal and I didn't. I also didn't get it at Disneyland although when we went it was cooler in CA than it usually is in FL. I was fully prepared to get it at Universal and DL but didn't.

If it were systemic, like golfer's vasculitis, I certainly should have gotten it in Sept 2014 at Universal but didn't.

It's a nuisance, it looks ugly, and mine hurts but I only get it at WDW.
Well, there are some other factors to the development of exercise induced vasculitis in most patients, but the most recent research study that was comprehensive was in 2005. Exercise induced vasculitis is not systemic, and it is possible to repeat the same activity of prolonged walking in high temperatures one time and have the response and another time and not have it. It is known that it is an inflammatory process, and there is histamine activity in fully 1/3 of sufferers. I find the whole thing totally fascinating even though I am a sufferer and have nothing that consistently treats, prevents or helps it (except not going during warm months).

I got it in AK when I'm was wearing jeans because it was a cool day. Never got it in any other park. Nov. 2010.

I get it every time we go to Disney. This trip in Sept. it was really bad after the first day. Checked in and went to MK around 11 left to have dinner in Epcot and then went back to the room around 8. It was really awful looking the next day. I put baby powder on my legs so they didn't look so bad. Spent the next day on my feet (of course) started at HS rope drop and ended at Epcot for dinner. Went back to room and put feet up and cold compresses on my legs. The next morning they didn't look as bad but still put baby powder on them to hide the redness. For some reason after spending 2 nights with cold compresses on my legs they weren't as bad the rest of the trip (6more days). Of course it didn't really go completely away until a few days after we got home.

I get it every time ... goes away on its own within a few days of getting back to Kentucky. sometimes it itches, but mostly it's just gross looking. LOL ... I used medicated powder on it at night in July, which felt lovely.

We visit MK, Epcot, and the Studios. All are culprits for me. It's not park specific. Just the reflection of the sun off the pavement.

No, the OP 'does not' know for sure MK is the culprit - because it is not!!!!!!! We spend more time at Epcot than any other park and every visit to WDW, like clockwork, we get it. My dr. says it 'is' golfer's vasculitis. It's the only vacation we take (and most others) where you walk for miles during a week's time in the heat (even have gotten it in cooler weather, but not as bad).

Unless you have other underlying conditions, it goes away promptly and is harmless.

Yes, the OP does know that MK is the only park this happens in, so yes, MK needs some investigating in relation to the OP's symptoms. OP made it perfectly clear that this does not happen anywhere else.

Yes, the OP does know that MK is the only park this happens in, so yes, MK needs some investigating in relation to the OP's symptoms. OP made it perfectly clear that this does not happen anywhere else.

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree as I (and sometimes dh) get it 'before' going to MK! So, no, MK is 'not' the only park it happens in!

I got this in 2011, 2013, and this trip too. I am sensitive to everything, allergies etc, so it is not unusual for me to break out. I got this for the first time in 2011 and I've actually got it a couple times at home since. At home we walk a lot in the evenings for exercise, and it does occasionally happen with a few spots popping up. Nothing like at Disney, where my legs go crazy with it. This trip it exploded with the worse I'd ever had, and my Mother who never has rashes also got it. But we do not normally go in September, so I think the heat definitely played into this being worse than usual. I noticed a lot of red broke out legs this trip. On my fitbit, we averaged 14 miles a day!

I like cold compresses to help in the evening, and truthfully the only thing that really helps I've found is calmoseptine ointment, it is a godsend!!!! Think calamine lotion meets Vaseline, and it really stays on. But the pink gets on everything. It is soothing and really helps clear it up faster I think. You can get it at the pharmacy, non prescription, you just have to ask for a tube of it. It comes in a huge one, not too expensive either.

When I've had it here at home, I saw my doctor and they never could figure it out. Called it just atypical dermatitis and told me to take an allergy pill before we walked. That did not help lol! As I was already on allergy pills anyways for my other stuff. I have not noticed any benefit from the steroid cream they gave me one time at the doctor, I think the calmoseptine works better at clearing it up.

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree as I (and sometimes dh) get it 'before' going to MK! So, no, MK is 'not' the only park it happens in!
Well, MK is the only park the OP gets it in. She was talking about her rash, not yours. People may be getting different rashes caused by different things. It is silly to try to insist that the OP's experience is wrong.

No one says OP wrong.
I personally was glad to read this. Looking at OP pictures, it is identical to what I had on my legs. But as I said, I was at Epcot. I thought it was sun poisoning, which it still could be with the reflection from the pavement. I wore small wedge sandals, so if it is the golfer thing, for me, maybe it was from not wearing good walking shoes. Going in 34 days. I'll check back in after this trip. :) (Hoping I don't get it again, because even though it didn't itch or hurt, it did look nasty.)

Clinically, there is no way a single location can cause vasculitis. Vasculitis is an inflammatory response to heat, humidity and walking/standing. Research shows there may be some aggravating factors like fluid retention, BMI>25, age over 30, etc. These do not seem to have any consistency. More research must be done. However, there are no physical conditions of the peripheral vascular system that only occur at the Magic Kingdom. I encourage all sufferers to consult a physician.

I didn't state that the OP had vasculitis. Of course you can't have vasculitis at just one park. That's why I stated that, in my opinion, it must be some type of allergic reaction to something just in the Magic Kingdom, as the original poster stated that it only occurred in MK.

I know that this thread is 2 years old but thought I'd comment with my experience.

I have never had the rash until this last trip in August. We had hopper passes and as soon as I got to MK I could feel the rash getting worse. It took over a month at home before it went away. I still can see it slightly. Dr said its because the red blood vessels swelled and are stained from the iron in the blood. She did say it's "golfers rash". My rash started out mild but got pretty bad. I was quite painful when I tried to sit on the ground or squat. I think it was because of the swelling.

disney rash 2.jpg

This is what it looked like when it first started

disney rash early week.jpg

This what it looked like a few days later.

disney rash bus.jpg

This is what it looked like on the bus to the airport about 3 days after the picture above

disney rash 2 weeks after home.jpg

This is what it looked like about 2 weeks after being home.

At first I didn't have any under the straps of my shoe. I thought that my shoes might be too tight so I loosened them. I then got the rash under the strap.

The doctor said that it is from the heat on the pavement. It causes the blood vessels to swell. The only way to prevent it, is to wear tight compression socks (like they give you in the hospital).

It makes sense the MK is worse than the other parks because it has more blacktop verses concrete. The blacktop holds the heat more.

I saw a few other people with it. All of us only had the rash on the tops of our feet and the inner part of each calf. For some reason, my left leg was much worse than the right.

Dr said it's usually people over 50 and I was 50 at the time of the trip. So, I guess I have this lovely rash to look forward to on my next trip. We always go in Aug so there's no way I'll be walking around with compression socks on.

Just thought I'd share my experience

'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.

2epsmz8.jpg

I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.

This happens to me as well, but ONLY at Epcot; I've never experienced it anywhere else. I'm allergic to the sun, and the pavement at Epcot has particles added to it to make it reflect more light, so anyone who is photosensitive may experience this. I'm SO sorry this happened to you-it itches a GAZILLION times worse than fire ant bites!

A couple of trips ago, I saw an extremely pale young woman in Liberty Inn at American Adventure with big red splotches on her legs, but she seemed fine otherwise. I can only deduce that the itching hadn't started yet, or she'd have been miserable. I wear jeans at WDW now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter