Disney, reactivate my stainless steel refillable mug please.

We had a refillable mug for Typhoon Lagoon many years ago. We got it for free when my daughter was picked as the Big Kahuna. We took it back every year we went to TL and just had to buy the sticker for the refills. One year the mugs changed and we would have had to buy a new mug which we didn't because they were smaller and we didn't see the need for it. But they still had the sticker you could buy for future refills for the new mug. I don't know why they can't do that with the rest of the refillable mugs. Would make so much more sense.
Yup. I have one of those old Typhoon Lagoon mugs and we just had to buy a new barcode sticker to reuse it back then. Since the new mugs use RFID that is programmed at check-out for 2 weeks or whatever, surely they could reactivate one by entering the new expiration date? I'd be willing to pay full price I guess to keep from having mugs up to my ears, but really they ought to offer a small discount for reactivating an old mug.

I found a use for all of ours... my son's Scout troop tells them to bring a mug on all campouts so they can have hot chocolate, lemonade, stuff you don't put in your canteen. Good old Disney mugs to the rescue!

Now that I hear how well they keep drinks insulated and that they hold more I'm totally sold. I was on the fence before because they look so nice.

I got mine at Goods to Go at OKW.

I wouldn’t trust it. I carried mine in my cross body purse, but the top sticks out of the bag and I could see it and stabilize it with my hand.
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense and I should bring my crossbody too.

I speculate that one reason they don't offer reactivation (even if they wanted to) is that the RFID chips aren't all that sturdy. I believe they're just a thin plastic sticker that they build into the base of the cups, and a number of hot water washings over time just kill the electronics at a high enough percentage.

Do these cups leak? I am wondering if I can put it in my backpack or if it has to be held.
I wouldn’t trust it. I carried mine in my cross body purse, but the top sticks out of the bag and I could see it and stabilize it with my hand.

That's too bad... I'd love to be able to throw it into a backpack or gym bag if it had a proper lid that kept the contents from dripping out. And, yes, I would totally bring this back to WDW to have it reactivated again and again if they could offer that option.

I speculate that one reason they don't offer reactivation (even if they wanted to) is that the RFID chips aren't all that sturdy. I believe they're just a thin plastic sticker that they build into the base of the cups, and a number of hot water washings over time just kill the electronics at a high enough percentage.

Universal's freestyle mugs don't seem to have a problem with it.

Ours are about 5 years old...and reactivate every trip.

oohhh I LOVE those stainless ones! And I have a freaking closet full of the plastic mugs- this is after I donate them every few years! I agree- you would think that reactivation would be an easy fix - AND they could use the environment as a publicity thing! come on Disney!!

I’d pay the price of a plastic mug to have it reactivated.
... There is NO need for that many mugs, Disney PLEASE find a way to reactivate them, it really can't be that hard!!!!

I'd never really thought much about the refillable mugs. We get them on most of our family trips but rarely use them.

The matter of reactivating an old mug would not a big deal, except that the system WDW has implemented makes adding that feature problematic. I went through the patent filings and FCC disclosures for the company that makes the system, Vendfill. It uses a passive UHF ISM band RFID tag (902Mhz) and the tag is re-writable. But... what it seems like is happening is that the tag is pre-written with it's identification number and the device used at the POS simply reads that ID and activates it in the back-end system for whatever number of days. After that time, the system stops honoring that ID number as a valid code at the fountain machine. As a housekeeping measure, to keep the same code from being activated twice, I suspect the system invalidates that ID code for the future.

It's possible to write a system that can activate, deactivate, and reactivate the same ID code but it makes the whole thing a lot more complex and it increases the traffic sent back and forth on the network.

To reactivate an old mug, the POS machine would have to have access to a database of unused ID numbers, provision one of those, and write that number over the one on the existing tag.

Hardware wise, that's a cinch. I did it just now in a manner of speaking. I swapped the ID number from one refillable mug to another. So, in theory, I should be able to get a new mug, activate it, then copy that ID number over the one stored on my old mug.

The hardware is something I had anyway but at about $200 it's not something people are going to grab for the added convenience of reusing drink mugs. And ... it doesn't eliminate the step of getting that new mug activated. You could transfer the code to your old mug but you still have a new, now worthless, mug to throw away.

If the system used MiTag rfid like the magicband and most hotel keys, you could do this with a cellphone.

There *have* been signs up in the past eBay you CAN reactivate mugs.

I didn’t notice them on this trip, but I only went to a counter service twice, and wasn’t looking at all for it.

I just don’t know about it for the new metal mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter