• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney reads DISboards - Fact!

Dear Mr. Eiger

DVC at Contemporary
DVC discounts on MYWY tickets
Disney Magic to NY harbor
Bring back Timekeeper
Unlimited fast passes for DVC members

That's a start.

Here I am starting to wonder where we are going to eat at Thanksgiving, so I can make some ADR's! Perhaps they could limit the number of ADR's for the DDP people and let some open for those who don't use it.

You too, huh? I don't like the idea of having to think what I want to eat on Turkey Day six months in advance, but I guess that is going to be reality this year. I have May 22nd marked on both my home and work calendar so that I can try to make an early evening ADR.

You too, huh? I don't like the idea of having to think what I want to eat on Turkey Day six months in advance, but I guess that is going to be reality this year. I have May 22nd marked on both my home and work calendar so that I can try to make an early evening ADR.

We only did our ADR's for last Thanksgiving at end of Sept-early Oct. We didn't do to bad with ADR's. We went to HDDR on Thanksgiving night! Ate Turkey at Tusker House for lunch.

It's just the whole trying to figure out where we are going to be, do we want CS or TS for lunch(I figure TS for lunch is easier to book). I'll go ahead and make ADR's and DH will say "we're not going to be at Epcot on Monday for lunch at the Rose & Crown.":headache:

I haven't made an ADR to eat inside the parks in I don't know how long. Disney does need to remove some restaurants from the dining plan so that they have something to offer people who choose not to use the plan.

I've been learning more and more about the quality of dining to be had outside the parks or over at Universal. I'm sure I'm not alone and this has to be counter to the purpose of the Magic Your Way passes.

I haven't made an ADR to eat inside the parks in I don't know how long. Disney does need to remove some restaurants from the dining plan so that they have something to offer people who choose not to use the plan.

I've been learning more and more about the quality of dining to be had outside the parks or over at Universal. I'm sure I'm not alone and this has to be counter to the purpose of the Magic Your Way passes.

So what are your favorite off-site establishments? Were getting a car for the Thanksgiving trip and would appreciate some first hand advice.

I guess I am in the minority. I LOVE the DDP and Love disney food. DDP is a fantastic perk IMO. I would hate for that to go away. We don't cook on vacation and we love going out to eat knowing we already paid for it. Just like DVC. We already paid for it.(Well the room anyways)

Walt Disney, union breaker, was certainly interested in the bottom line. Disney got where he did by running a very saavy business - including trying to break unions, including protecting his intellectual property, including charging what the market would bear and marketing his property as far as he could. He was innovative - and he recognized his market was middle class families - but he was no charitable saint.

You might have your history right but I ? your conclusions. Did he union break for pure profit or so he could keep control over his product, he had been stabbed in the back in his early career by friends and was feeling it happen all over again. He was alone in beleiving in his product, so he ultimately had to keep total control. He would risk it all on the next venture. Put his home up for collateral, his familys comfort at risk on every move. I guess I would be a little resentful if someone came in ( aka. union) and tried to control my business also. as far as business sence as you elude to. He didn't even think of the marketing angle b4 someone else paid him for the rights and he saw how much profit there was in it. Which by the way saved the company from a probably ending. THANK YOU Walt Disney for doing that. Was he not quoted to say " don't worry about the cost I have a building full of accountants to do that". Doing it right with the best availible was more of the directive than profit. He gambled that the profits would come, yes. But I really beleive that something this great could not come from a heart that was profit guilded. That the emotion and feeling thats been created at Disney is closer to something devine than something just for profit. Or at least originaly. I have read many books on W. E. Disney, from both sides of the fence Pro and Con. I have concluded without doult that Walt was as right as rain. A moral and honerable man. Ok not a saint, and had some very serious emotional problems at times. probably fought depression and anxioty. But now we all just take a pill for it and bang its over. OK i rambled a little, and got of point some but hey, Its WALT DISNEY he slammed.

Spring break and Easter have always been very popular times at WDW so the fact that they are crowded now isn't necessarily indicative of anything. And let's not forget that Disney is offering free or reduced rate food and free rides to/from the airport. All attractive incentives for a budget minded consumer. When the freebies are gone, that will be a more realistic indicator of how much loyalty actually exists within the general public.

I realize that most of us on these boards are hard-core Disney freaks and will in all likelihood plan and make trips to WDW on a regular basis. But the "real" world is not like us. There has to be more of a reason for them to spend beaucoup bucks at Mickey's place than just liking WDW. Financial incentives certainly don't hurt when they are deciding where to spend their vacation dollars.

Been away for the long easter weekend, so am catching up:

On the incentives...Disney's Magical Express, by all reports, is here to stay and there isn't likely going to be an additional charge anytime soon. Disney recognizes that it's keeping people on property, in their parks, in their restaurants, and in their shops.

As for free and reduced rate food, I can only assume you're talking about the dining plan. Free is CERTAINLY not being offered very often....and not during the busy times people mention, so I fail to see the relationship between THAT and being full at busy times of the year. Considering free dining is offered during a very specific, historically slow (and shorter this year, if reports are true) period....it looks like they're offering that in lieu of the deep room discounts/codes they've offered in the past. Remember, to get free dining, you have to pay rack rate and buy a MYW ticket of some sort. On "reduced rate food"...reduced rate to the consumer doesn't mean, necessarily, it's costing Disney much money. They gain some tangible benefits as well (increased patronage of their TS restaurants, for one....better efficiency of ordering food, etc for another). The DDP may be a huge tangible benefit to the consumer, but I wouldn't count on 1) Disney ending the program any time soon or 2) It being the main driving force behind the hotel occupancy rates.

Financial incentives don't hurt...tha't true. But your assumption is that Disney will, at some point, end those financial incentives because of their cost, and will fail to replace them with some combination of "new" incentives, and occupancy/attendance will go down. I don't see most of those incentives going anywhere because the cost is relatively minimal when compared to the benefits; some that you, yourself, outlined.

dianeschlicht, I'm totally with you on this one! I'd rather pay more for quality food than get "free" or reduced rate lowest common denominator offerings. (just while I'm on vacation, of course)

Disney is quite sly. You see they have me clamoring for higher prices. When they give me what I'm yapping for, their hands are clean. Very clever, they are!

They won't though. Because, quite frankly, you're in a vocal minority.

I'm right there with you. I normally choose to pay a bit more for a higher quality product, if the quality would make a real difference.

But the mass consumer has proven, in the market, they are not. The dollar has become the bottom line, as evidenced by Wal Marts domination of the market, as well as many other retail and business examples. And that's the market we all have to live in.

Now, Disney may cater to us (consumers like you and I) at some level, but they're going to tailor, I'd guess, the majority of their offerings at the largest consumer market......that's just the capitalistic system at work.

How about this for an idea - drop the DDP signature meal option. Certain restaurants simply ARE out of pocket and they WILL be more expensive. Maybe allow people to apply $15-20 worth of "DDP credit" to their California Grill meal. That would allow some restaurants at Disney continued freedom and ability to gage their own market with their own pricing. I miss good Disney food, too.

I like that idea, actually...though I'd leave out the "DDP credit" portion. I'd expand the pool of places a bit too, but not much.

We never use the DDP, and I really haven't taken notice of the menus the last time we were there, but I have noticed that it has been extremely difficult to eat at a WDW restaurant without a ressie of some sort. I do not know what I will be having for dinner this week let alone make plans 6 months from now as to where and wehn I will be eating. It has been very difficult to get anything PS by by calling when I am in the World. We end up eating on the go or in our DVC room. Would I like to go out, yes, but it seems my options are limited.

And that's one of the reasons you can bet the Disney will keep the DDP (or some form of it) for awhile. The increased capacity of their TS restaurants has been huge for them, I'd bet. I think DDP is the best example of "Walmartization" you could come up with at WDW: The Restaurants have lowered the selection/quality of their menus by removing higher cost items, and are now making their "profit" on volume.

As for having to make your ADR's far in advance....look, I feel your pain. But again, part of this is about perception. At home, we plan our meals about a week in advance (so we can do the grocery shopping). But for "special events" (ie: that trip into NYC to see a play or catch a Yanks game) we make those plans much further in advance...sometimes easily 6 months prior because good places in the city fill up VERY quickly. Now, granted many NYC places hold a certain number of tables for walk ups, but...well....we've got a show or game to catch so can't play at the mercy of availability. Same thing with WDW. The only difference is the duration of time you're at WDW varies greatly...You have to view it as "event dining" rather than "what you do when you're at home".

so, am i to understand that in the past, Disney used to offer a higher quality of food that many had become accustomed to and had become something to expect and, dare i say it, a reason for visits?
but now, the quality has declined to such a noticeable degree that some are disgruntled by the idea of paying the same or more for less?
of course, it's all a matter of opinion...;)

It IS a matter of opinion....and the problem is the number of people who feel the way you describe seems to be vastly outnumbered by those that are using the DDP.

And there's the rub: From a business standpoint, you have to look at it as which segment is going to fill your coffers more. I doubt, no matter how much people say they are willing to pay more, they are willing to pay ENOUGH "more" to offset what Disney is making, by pure DDP volume.

I'd love to hear suggestions, especially for Universal. The only 2 places that I thought were better than the typical, run of the mill, WDW places were Mythos and Emeril's. Almost everything else, in park or in Citywalk, reminds me of typical chain restaurant type food....

pilferk, you make some very good points and since what I know about running a business could fit on the head of a pin (with plenty of room left over I might add) I won't wade in much deeper than I already am.

A couple of question to mull over though: Has any program survived the test of time at WDW? Do some last forever? I don't know, but they probably don't. So it would be unusual and not the norm if Disney continued DME and subsidized dining for the long haul. But I'm certainly willing to let time be the the judge of that since we could yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/maybe? forever.

My point about freebies (and I think we're probably in agreement here) was that Disney has to offer them to fill bunks. Occupancy rates at WDW aren't high year round simply because people like to vacation there, but they also see a way to save some $$$. Dining plans make people think they are saving $$$. DME makes people think they are saving $$$. If (and grant me this 'if' just for the sake of argument) these illusory $$$ saving programs weren't in existence anymore, would it have an impact on occupancy rates? I will consult the head of a pin and get back to you!

pilferk, you make some very good points and since what I know about running a business could fit on the head of a pin (with plenty of room left over I might add) I won't wade in much deeper than I already am.

A couple of question to mull over though: Has any program survived the test of time at WDW? Do some last forever? I don't know, but they probably don't. So it would be unusual and not the norm if Disney continued DME and subsidized dining for the long haul. But I'm certainly willing to let time be the the judge of that since we could yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/maybe? forever.

My point about freebies (and I think we're probably in agreement here) was that Disney has to offer them to fill bunks. Occupancy rates at WDW aren't high year round simply because people like to vacation there, but they also see a way to save some $$$. Dining plans make people think they are saving $$$. DME makes people think they are saving $$$. If (and grant me this 'if' just for the sake of argument) these illusory $$$ saving programs weren't in existence anymore, would it have an impact on occupancy rates? I will consult the head of a pin and get back to you!

Some programs have survived the test of time...MANY are modified or removed, but usually replaced by something similar but with a different name, or a slightly different function. Heck, the DDP itself isn't a new concept for Disney...it's just been modified to provide greater value (and IMHO, actually be worthwhile) to the consumer. DME is here for the long haul if only because Disney has signed contracts that put them in it for the long haul. They certainly have the option of charging for it....but it seems that the decision has been made that, for now, it's at least a zero sum equation in cost/benefit dept (and maybe better than that). With gas prices doing what they are...who knows if that will change. And who knows what Disney "values" a guest who can't leave property at....but I'm guessing it's beyond the typical price charged by the shuttle services per guest.

Sure, I agree that discounts do drive bookings in a segment of the market. And, if those discounts completely disapeared, with nothing replacing them, it would have an effect on business. But there are 2 things to keep in mind: 1) Disney likely knows that too, as they have mountains more consumer/guest research than we do on the subject and 2) doing so would put Disney at a competitive disadvantage by ending ALL discounts...something I can't fathom they'd do willingly.

So, while I agree with the "what if" scenario, I don't see a reason the "what if" scenario would ever happen. Disney's offered discounts in the "off season" for as long as I can remember and have been planning trips (about 10 years, now). Their form has changed, over time, to be sure. I mean we've had things like codes in newspapers, personal pin codes for room discounts, reduced package rates, and now free dining. I'm guessing those changes come about as Disney has better ideas that both work better for the consumer and better for them.

I had heard it before and didn't believe it then, but DVCers really do think with their stomachs :rotfl: Just kidding!

I wouldn't mind them doing away with DDP either - Free Dining is what gets me though. I've never used DDP paid or free and probably never will as we just don't eat that much food and the biggest reason I love the villas: kitchens! When we do eat out it's for a special experience and/or great food, not just to fill our stomachs.

Now, back to the matter that's most pressing - that darn CLOWN! :scared: (Hello Disney... think Dumbo, think Goofy! They're well loved Disney characters, have great big ears to fill in the "look" the existing face has and would fit a carnival type atmophere perfectly if that's what you're going for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter