Disney reducing food portion sizes, then added “which is probably good for some people’s waistlines.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleting - inadvertent duplicate post. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, fat shamiing, reamrks, and fat jokes are still considred pretty much acceptable by society today, at least from what I've experienced as a Pooh-shaped individual. And thoughtless remarks like this hurt, even though I do have extra padding.

And to use "being good for people's waistlines" as a cover for cutting down, and back, on portions (and probably quality, although they defiantly deny that!) is cowardly, and unacceptable. Man up, if ya wanna cut down - just OWN it! I'd have MUCH more respect if you did that, instead of conjecturing on what's good for your guest's waistlines!

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2021/11/10/disney-cfo-waistline-comment-controversy/amp/
not a good look for the CFO to make comments out of place like this I read that and immediately thought of what would Pete say
More shrinkflation.

And that comment is certainly tone deaf and really misses the mark.
Yep. They're rich. They don't care.
Yeah, fat shamiing, reamrks, and fat jokes are still considred OK" by society today, at least from what I've experienced as a Pooh-shaped individual. And thoughtless remarks like this hurt, even though I do have extra padding.

And to use "being good for people's waistlines" as a cover for cutting down, and back, on portions (and probably quality, although they defiantly deny that!) is cowardly, and unacceptable. Man up, if ya wanna cut down - just OWN it! I'd have MUCH more respect if you did that, instead of conjecturing on what's good for your guest's waistlines!
I encourage everyone to listen to the comments and not just read the transcript. It was a silly throwaway joke, like "wouldn't it be good for all of us if portions were a little bit smaller?" It was not mean-spirited.

Food portions in this country are way too big and one of many factors contributing to the obesity epidemic. Cutting down on those portions while not reducing prices isn't Disney trying to help with that problem, it is just an excuse.

Calling it "fat shaming" is hyperbolic at best.

I encourage everyone to listen to the comments and not just read the transcript. It was a silly throwaway joke, like "wouldn't it be good for all of us if portions were a little bit smaller?" It was not mean-spirited.
I hear ya, and we can agree to disagree, for sure - not trying to be combative, but
INTENT does not excuse, or cancel out, EFFECT.
It can still cut, and hurt, no matter HOW it's meant. And, at the very least, be more thoughtfully phrased? "Silly throwaway" jokes, and remarks, are SUPPOSED to be things of the past, and have, happily, become the case with a LOT of things. Not here, apparently, and sadly, IMHO.

Last edited:
Food portions in this country are way too big and one of many factors contributing to the obesity epidemic. Cutting down on those portions while not reducing costs isn't Disney trying to help with that problem, it is just an excuse.

Calling it "fat shaming" is hyperbolic at best.
I agree on most portions, and I wasn't saying this particular remark was fat shaming. What I was trying to say (perhaps not clearly?) is that the attitude surrounding "big body type acceptance" is still skewed in a negative direction, and I see too many still posting, and laughing at fat jokes. But also - I am an adult - let ME be the judge of what/how much I could/should eat at a sitting. You should NOT be making that call, or hiding cutting back as "knowing what's best for me".

And actually - besides all that - my MAIN point (again - maybe not made sharply enough) is that they should NOT use being the judge of what's good for anybody's waistline, and "being concerned about he size of their guests waistlines" as a cover for cost, and portion-cutting. Own the fact you're doing it to boost your profits, or lower your overhead. Just own it. Covid cover, and now health concern cover should NOT be "a thing". Just be honest.

If she had said it might be good for 'everyone's' waistline it might be a joke. It was the "some people's" waistline.

Perception is key not Intention.

Either way it was in poor taste and not an appropriate venue to be a comedian.

It can still cut, and hurt, no matter HOW it's meant. And, at the very least, be more thoughtfully phrased?
This was during a question-and-answer portion of the call when she was asked about inflation. The point she was working towards is that there are things they can do in response to rising food costs beyond just raising prices for guests. "Cutting portion sizes" doesn't sound very good, so it was an attempt to put a positive perspective on it.

It's kind of like saying "we're going to wash towels less frequently in the hotels to save housekeeping labor costs" and then adding at the end "...and wouldn't that be good for the environment?"

This was during a question-and-answer portion of the call when she was asked about inflation. The point she was working towards is that there are things they can do in response to rising food costs beyond just raising prices for guests. "Cutting portion sizes" doesn't sound very good, so it was an attempt to put a positive perspective on it.

It's kind of like saying "we're going to wash towels less frequently in the hotels to save housekeeping labor costs" and then adding at the end "...and wouldn't that be good for the environment?"

Yeah, and that also would have been a bad example to use, and another reason that you pick and choose who you have do QandAs.

You don't throw out a bad take on a situation, then make fun of something that really isn't funny, to justify the initial bad choice.

Don't they have PR people to do prep before these things.

Yeah, and that also would have been a bad example to use, and another reason that you pick and choose who you have do QandAs.

You don't throw out a bad take on a situation, then make fun of something that really isn't funny, to justify the initial bad choice.

Don't they have PR people to do prep before these things.
The Q&A wasn't random people out of a crowd. It was the same slate of Wall Street analysts who ask questions on every call. The comment was completely innocuous, but there's nothing Disney fans like more than overreacting to everything on the Internet.

[QUOTE="CaptainAmerica, post: 63531126, member: 632680" "Cutting portion sizes" doesn't sound very good, so it was an attempt to put a positive perspective on it.
[/QUOTE]

Again - trying to garner what you think are better publicity optics on an action you're taking at the cost of someone else's feelings should not even be a thing. Do what ya gotta do, if ya feel ya gottta do it, and OWN it. Period.

And I get your "good for the environment" analogy, but the environment ain't got no feelings. Just sayin'.

I also have to say I've learned to self-censor this type of off-the-cuff remark because it's not the right thing to do, and it's insensitive at the very least - about MANY different types of people, regardless of what I personally might think. And I've tried hard to change my acceptance of a LOT of different types of people in this world, over the years. Again - because I know it's the right thing to do, and I want that acceptance also, and treasure being empathetic and accepting. It has been a struggle, but one that's SO worth it. And I know a LOT of society has, on a LOT of topics. But if this lady can't do that based on her OWN sense of empathy, I'm daggone sure she's making VERY fair monetary compensation for knowing better, and doing better. She should know better, and not be caught "out there" with an off-hand remark like this. If not, time to head back to the classroom, to learn better, and be better. Bravo to @bookgirl for wisely bringing up PR prep, didn't even think of that! Apologize, and take it as a teachable moment. I'm down with that.
And again (and again, and again) just say you're cutting portions to cut costs. Stop ducking and covering, and you wouldn't HAVE to worry about offhand, potentially offensive remarks!

Last edited:
The Q&A wasn't random people out of a crowd. It was the same slate of Wall Street analysts who ask questions on every call. The comment was completely innocuous, but there's nothing Disney fans like more than overreacting to everything on the Internet.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Enjoy your lawn, buddy.

I'm going to go pack for my trip so I can overreact when I get to WDW Monday.

I really wish people wouldn't take offense at things like this. Portion sizes in many American restaurants are definitely much bigger than what the average adult should be consuming at one sitting. I was once morbidly obese and one of those people that cleaned my plate every time. I've worked hard to lose weight and am now just overweight with a bit more to go to get to a normal BMI. Now when I go out to eat, I take home at least half or more of what I order. On vacation, I don't have a way to properly store or reheat leftovers and so the enormous portion results in a lot of food waste. I'm not fat shaming here but I think smaller portion sizes is a good idea. Of course I also think that should result in lowering the cost as well but that is not going to happen. I'd love it if more restaurants including those at Disney would offer half portions for a reduced price, even if not quite half.

I really wish people wouldn't take offense at things like this. Portion sizes in many American restaurants are definitely much bigger than what the average adult should be consuming at one sitting. I was once morbidly obese and one of those people that cleaned my plate every time. I've worked hard to lose weight and am now just overweight with a bit more to go to get to a normal BMI. Now when I go out to eat, I take home at least half or more of what I order. On vacation, I don't have a way to properly store or reheat leftovers and so the enormous portion results in a lot of food waste. I'm not fat shaming here but I think smaller portion sizes is a good idea. Of course I also think that should result in lowering the cost as well but that is not going to happen. I'd love it if more restaurants including those at Disney would offer half portions for a reduced price, even if not quite half.

reduced price is the key there was no talk of that then we wouldn’t be upset. I’m not sure what your weight loss journey had to do with out of touch comments by a Disney executive you’re on vacation for a reason

reduced price is the key there was no talk of that then we wouldn’t be upset. I’m not sure what your weight loss journey had to do with out of touch comments by a Disney executive you’re on vacation for a reason

My weight loss journey is relevant because it affected my attitude towards comments like this. I used to think I was offended with comments like this. When I finally got my act together and started to lose the excess weight, I realized that I was just being defensive for a personal problem that I hadn't addressed. IMHO the Disney exec wasn't trying to insult anyone but just point out a possible benefit to the reduced portions under consideration. Some people here didn't say they were upset because prices weren't being reduced along with the portion sizes. They were upset with the comment about how reduced portion sizes would help some people.

My weight loss journey is relevant because it affected my attitude towards comments like this. I used to think I was offended with comments like this. When I finally got my act together and started to lose the excess weight, I realized that I was just being defensive for a personal problem that I hadn't addressed. IMHO the Disney exec wasn't trying to insult anyone but just point out a possible benefit to the reduced portions under consideration. Some people here didn't say they were upset because prices weren't being reduced along with the portion sizes. They were upset with the comment about how reduced portion sizes would help some people.
BTW - huge congrats on your weight loss journey, and continued success - it is NOT easy!

And for me, and only me, lower prices for lower portion sizes is fine, fair, and would make perfect sense. Unfortunately - that aint' what's been happening, and they're trying to mask cost-cutting with professed health consciousness, and I ain't fooled. I WOUDL be the one to tell the Emperor he's nekkid!!! What she did with that unnecessary remark was cowardice, and showed lack of both preparation and backbone to be able to withstand questioning and property defend what is a business decision that you should have been aware may not be received popularly by all.

As with everything lately, It's pay more, get less. With a LOT of things. But don't try to convince me this is :for my own good". Or - as we used to say at work ' "Don't pee on me and try to tell me it's raining". And what could be perceived by some to perhaps be offensive judging of their waistline should NOT be part of Corporate Business and Publicity 101 either. I shudder to think a person like this would have taught other business leaders at the Disney Institute, or on their corporate training junkets years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter