Disney & Religion

SamIAm21

Mickey's #1 Fan
I have to say your discussion totally caught my attention. I have to sometimes laugh at myself because I will read an 800 page biography on Walt Disney, then read another book recently penned by a Disney Legend, and then I participate on the boards and I am often pacing back and forth on a Tueday morning waiting for the podcast. You usually won't catch me pacing outside my church on Sunday morning waiting for services to start.

My interest level in all things Disney far exceeds my interest level in my Christian religion. It makes me wonder if this is how religions were "started". Was it this type of enamored feelings and keen interest that led to the rise of Christianity, Buddhism, etc. I'm not dismissing or downplaying the role of Jesus Christ, Buddah, etc., just that Disney is far more prevalent in my day to day life than reading the Bible, or heading off to Bible study group, or heading off to church to listen to sermons...

So, really what is my religion?

When I consider my DVC membership, Annual Pass, plane tickets and what I spend during my visits, I clearly tith the Mouse more then I do my parish. Now only if it were all tax deductable.

Also, Mickey does not slap my knuckles with a ruler like the nuns did. :rotfl2:

WOW, that's a pretty big can of worms you just cracked the lid on!

I'm a Christian man and try to walk that line as best I can in the world we are living in.

I also love all things Disney. When I asked myself why it is that I look so forward to our Disney family vacations and the new podcast each week and reading these boards more so than I do going to church or bible study, I think it might be because (although I know my salvation isn't in The Walt Disney Company), it is tangible. Disney is something that we can all see and feel and smell and hear! It is very real to all of our senses and as human being I believe this appeals to us on a more basic physical level than the spiritual realm of religion.

Pat Williams has written a book called 'How to be like Walt' be is also a Christian man and has also authored a book called 'How to be like Jesus'

This should tell us all (no matter what religion) that Disney is a very captivating and inspirational force that has changed the way we go about many areas of our lives, much in the same way religion has to those of us who practice.

In the end though it's all about priority and what we feel is most important to each of us.

As Walt once said "I Believe firmly in the efficacy of religion, in its powerful influence on a person's whole life. It helps immeasurably to meet the storms and stress of life and keep you attuned to the divine inspiration. Without inspiration, we would perish"

Though Walt's belief in God never wavered from childhood until death, his strict religious upbringing left him with a distaste for institutional religion and sanctimonious churchmen. Walt once said " Deeds rather than words express my concept of the part religion should play in everyday life"

I think that sums it up nice:)

WOW, that's a pretty big can of worms you just cracked the lid on!

I'm a Christian man and try to walk that line as best I can in the world we are living in.

I also love all things Disney. When I asked myself why it is that I look so forward to our Disney family vacations and the new podcast each week and reading these boards more so than I do going to church or bible study, I think it might be because (although I know my salvation isn't in The Walt Disney Company), it is tangible. Disney is something that we can all see and feel and smell and hear! It is very real to all of our senses and as human being I believe this appeals to us on a more basic physical level than the spiritual realm of religion.

Pat Williams has written a book called 'How to be like Walt' be is also a Christian man and has also authored a book called 'How to be like Jesus'

This should tell us all (no matter what religion) that Disney is a very captivating and inspirational force that has changed the way we go about many areas of our lives, much in the same way religion has to those of us who practice.

In the end though it's all about priority and what we feel is most important to each of us.

As Walt once said "I Believe firmly in the efficacy of religion, in its powerful influence on a person's whole life. It helps immeasurably to meet the storms and stress of life and keep you attuned to the divine inspiration. Without inspiration, we would perish"

Though Walt's belief in God never wavered from childhood until death, his strict religious upbringing left him with a distaste for institutional religion and sanctimonious churchmen. Walt once said " Deeds rather than words express my concept of the part religion should play in everyday life"
I think that sums it up nice:)

Thank you for this post, it touches on a big part of why I love all things Disney so much -- the tangible aspect and the fact that Walt's philosophies run very close to my own.

And don't blame me for cracking the lid, today's podcast cracked it open a little too. Believe me, I would never compare Walt Disney to Jesus Christ, especially not while sitting near this window, but my keen interest and my desire to learn so much about him, makes me wonder about myself sometimes... ha ha ha!!

I like what the posters above have to say...

As far as the religion and cult like aspect:

I think people might work up a 'religious ferver' for many things from Disney to Star Wars without it being their religion. I know I do.

As for being a Cult... Disney is far too main stream to be a cult or say it has a cult following. I think of things that have a "cult following" lose that status when it enters the main stream so much.

And since, when I was young many – MANY - years ago, I was in a cult (and kicked out for trying to take it over - cult leaders hate that) I think I am uniquely qualified to say it is definitely not a cult.

However, when I was in "the cult" I lost everything owned; now I am slowly giving every penny earned to Disney and drive my partner crazy with threats of moving 'out there'. So the Jury may still be out on that one...

Don't think so: They all pretty much adamantly refused to go on a fishing trip.

Now do *I* get the cruise?? :rotfl:

OMG! That is so funny. True, how can they be apostles if they don't fish!? :lmao:

You owe me a couple squirts of Windex and a paper towel for that one liner!!

:rotfl:

I just listened to the show and I found the segment about Disney & religion very interesting. I give Pete a lot of credit for the courage of bringing religion into the conversation. (hence, this is why I love listening to this podcast:goodvibes ).

As far as Walt Disney & religion, I never looked at Walt as a god fearing, preachy individual. As it was pointed out on the show, to me he was driven by a basic moral compass of good always defeating evil in the end.

On the other hand, if the "church lady" were to compare annual WDW vactions to a spiritual pilgirmage, I would probably agree.:goodvibes

take care,
Dave in NJ

I have not listened to the PODCAST! I have never istened but I WILL!
As soon as i figure out how to do that.

BUT i have often...OFTEN......quickly thought, "I wonder with SOOO MANY FOLLOWERS, if WALT DISNEY will be the one to coem back from the dead as the ANTI CHRIST!"

Dont take that wrong.........I love him...........But it will be someone we all love and admire!!!!!!! ( IF I UNDERSTAND it right.....dont claim to be as smart about the bible as i am about where the best nap spots and best restaurants are in Magic Kingdom!)

I have not listened to the PODCAST! I have never istened but I WILL!
As soon as i figure out how to do that.

BUT i have often...OFTEN......quickly thought, "I wonder with SOOO MANY FOLLOWERS, if WALT DISNEY will be the one to coem back from the dead as the ANTI CHRIST!"

Dont take that wrong.........I love him...........But it will be someone we all love and admire!!!!!!! ( IF I UNDERSTAND it right.....dont claim to be as smart about the bible as i am about where the best nap spots and best restaurants are in Magic Kingdom!)

I didn't think the anti-christ was supposed to come back from the dead, but that does add a whole new level of SCARY to that story! :scared1:

Well, if h-e-double hockey sticks is anything like the Magic Kingdom, sign me up!

Memorial University is in St. John's, Newfoundland -- the opposite end of the country from Vancouver, British Columbia.

Although you got your report from the Vancouver Sun, it seems like that was your only source? Did you at least go to the university website, or contact the professor? If not, it's kind of like taking a story about WDW verbatim from the LA Times - it may be correct, but it might be better to find some closer sources.

(the course is listed on the university website, although there is no description at the moment)

I didn't think the anti-christ was supposed to come back from the dead, but that does add a whole new level of SCARY to that story! :scared1:

Well, if h-e-double hockey sticks is anything like the Magic Kingdom, sign me up!

Well i dont know but that is what i thought.......guess i will have to go look it up!!!!!!!!!! Gosh i really wanted to read the Dis boards but i guess i will read the Bible instead!!!!!!!

If Walt isn't spinning from some MOTs taking over "his" company, then Walt was truly a good man! :thumbsup2

**first all respects to Christianity (i is one myself)**

Our Walter, who art in Heaven...
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom, Magic
Thy Lands and Countries be Epcot..
With Spaceship Earth,
as it is at Cindy's Castle.
Give us this year, our Year of Dreams,
Forgive us our Visa debts
As we run up the total
Trying to get those Dream Dollars.
And lead us not, over the white line
when the parade is about to start.
Deliver us from Ohana, Wolfgang Pucks and 18% gratuities.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Magic
and the Pixie Dust
Forever and Ever

AMEN

----------------------------

Edited to add: I do beg to differ with Pete, the Prof. does have an ulterior motive... all professors have to have a certain level of registered students per class to justify their jobs.. (and the more butts in seats, the greater validation the professor has for keeping his or herself employed.) I believe the professor did raise an interesting topic worthy of some thinking, but to me it's quite obvious the reason she picked "Religion and Disney" is that "Religion and Ice Fishing" wouldn't fill seats, and "Religion and Hockey" would only result in maimed or fatally wounded students.

If you're wanting some interesting reading about Disney and Management Theories try this book:
If Disney Ran Your Hospital

Well i dont know but that is what i thought.......guess i will have to go look it up!!!!!!!!!! Gosh i really wanted to read the Dis boards but i guess i will read the Bible instead!!!!!!!

I wasn't slamming you, your post just made me think of like a zombie or something coming back from the dead. Not sure I'd trust a Zombie. My bible learnin always told me that the anti-christ would be born like any other child (think The Omen) and grow to be a great leader who is very charismatic and wins over the hearts and minds of most of the worlds' population.

Funny enough, last night my DD (a 4th grader) was attempting to do her CCD homework for today and had questions to answer on salvation and things she has been blessed with. And before she could answer my husband shouts out "Don't say our annual trip to Disney".

She also had to write her own prayer. Too bad I hadn't read this thread yet, maybe I could have borrowed it from alysnwndrlnd.

Our Walter, who art in Heaven...
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom, Magic
Thy Lands and Countries be Epcot..
With Spaceship Earth,
as it is at Cindy's Castle.
Give us this year, our Year of Dreams,
Forgive us our Visa debts
As we run up the total
Trying to get those Dream Dollars.
And lead us not, over the white line
when the parade is about to start.
Deliver us from Ohana, Wolfgang Pucks and 18% gratuities.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Magic
and the Pixie Dust
Forever and Ever

AMEN

I wasn't slamming you, your post just made me think of like a zombie or something coming back from the dead. Not sure I'd trust a Zombie. My bible learnin always told me that the anti-christ would be born like any other child (think The Omen) and grow to be a great leader who is very charismatic and wins over the hearts and minds of most of the worlds' population.

oh, i know.i was just being silly...........
I did look it upthough and couldnt find what i was lookign for but did find a cool site , that had 21 reasons why PRINCE CHARLES coudl be the ANTI CHRIST!

oh, i know.i was just being silly...........
I did look it upthough and couldnt find what i was lookign for but did find a cool site , that had 21 reasons why PRINCE CHARLES coudl be the ANTI CHRIST!

HA!! :lmao: You sure it ain't Camilla??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter