Disney Rep Lied About Dining Plan

akruszyna

Earning My Ears
Yesterday my family returned from our first trip in many years, and we were suckered into buying the Deluxe Dining Plan. We had wanted the smaller dining plan, but when booking over the phone the rep had told us she highly recommended the Deluxe plan. She informed us that any meals we didn't use could be redeemed for souvenirs at the end of our trip. Sadly, this was not the case when we had asked about redeeming these leftover meals once we were in the park. I'm not sure whether she was simply misinformed or out-and-out lied to us to improve her numbers, but BEWARE! Meals can only be redeemed for meals. Anything left will be forfeit. This is the last time we will be on the dining plan, and as new Disney Vacation Club members, we should be returning often.

Yesterday my family returned from our first trip in many years, and we were suckered into buying the Deluxe Dining Plan. We had wanted the smaller dining plan, but when booking over the phone the rep had told us she highly recommended the Deluxe plan. She informed us that any meals we didn't use could be redeemed for souvenirs at the end of our trip. Sadly, this was not the case when we had asked about redeeming these leftover meals once we were in the park. I'm not sure whether she was simply misinformed or out-and-out lied to us to improve her numbers, but BEWARE! Meals can only be redeemed for meals. Anything left will be forfeit. This is the last time we will be on the dining plan, and as new Disney Vacation Club members, we should be returning often.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Is there any chance you misunderstood what she was saying? When the QSDP included two snacks per day, we would always have extra snack credits left at the end of our stay. We used them to bring home boxes of cookies and bags of candy as "souvenirs". At no time has anything other than food been able to be purchased with meal credits, so I have a hard time believing a CM would state that. Somehow, there was a major breakdown in communication between you and the CM. Sorry that happened, and I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful. :goodvibes

Also, :welcome: to the Disboards!

I would have hoped that was the case, but both me and my husband were on the phone and he heard the same thing I did. I even mentioned specifically that perhaps we could get a hat with the points and she confirmed it.

I would have hoped that was the case, but both me and my husband were on the phone and he heard the same thing I did. I even mentioned specifically that perhaps we could get a hat with the points and she confirmed it.

That makes even less sense. Dining plans don't use "points". Do you have a Disney Visa card by chance?

Not sure it was a lie, but it is absolutely incorrect. The phone agents are incorrect about a great many things. There is no way to trade dining credits for merchandise. They are redeemable for food or beverage items only.

Some years ago, when the free dining promotion first started, during the free dining period it was permitted to trade a table service credit for a counter service meal plus one of a few designated items of merchandise. Since then, no merchandise. This was done in an attempt to alleviate crowding in the table service restaurants. That could be what this cast member is remembering, although it happened long before there was even any such thing as a deluxe dining plan. But it doesn't excuse that they should know far more than the track record of Disney phone agents shows.

it's also become rather obvious that phone agents are instructed to hard sell the dining plans to guests who call to make reservations.

The term used by Disney for the dining plan allotments is "credits" but many posters use the word "points." I tend not to use "points" because my mind confuses it with DVC points.

Not sure it was a lie, but it is absolutely incorrect. The phone agents are incorrect about a great many things. There is no way to trade dining credits for merchandise. They are redeemable for food or beverage items only.

Some years ago, when the free dining promotion first started, during the free dining period it was permitted to trade a table service credit for a counter service meal plus one of a few designated items of merchandise. Since then, no merchandise. This was done in an attempt to alleviate crowding in the table service restaurants. That could be what this cast member is remembering, although it happened long before there was even any such thing as a deluxe dining plan. But it doesn't excuse that they should know far more than the track record of Disney phone agents shows.

it's also become rather obvious that phone agents are instructed to hard sell the dining plans to guests who call to make reservations.

The term used by Disney for the dining plan allotments is "credits" but many posters use the word "points." I tend not to use "points" because my mind confuses it with DVC points.

I totally forgot about that conversion/merchandise thing! That was so long ago! Thanks for the reminder. :goodvibes I've seen a lot of misinformation from CMs, but this has to be one of the oddest. :confused3

OP, did you ask for a manager when you were denied, and share with them the info you were given over the phone?

Hi again! No, I never asked for a manager. I know I probably should have, but as I was juggling a toddler and other things, I just told the woman at the front desk of the hotel what I was told. I didn't think I would get anywhere quickly, and didn't have the time to argue about it. And yes, I did mean credits, not points. Sorry I used the wrong lingo! Overall, I was very happy with our trip. This was the only "hiccup" and I'll be happy to return. Just not with the dining plan! ;)

off topic sort of:

I know travel agents can make some really big mistakes when talking about the DDPs. Several years ago, a nurse on another unit at the hospital I work at, found out I go to WDW alot. One night she called me on the unit and just wanted some tips for her first trip. She then told me they were leaving in about three weeks and had just booked through our local small town travel agent. I told her the first thing she might want to do was call down there and see what dining reservations she could get since it was so late (this was before you could book them online). She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't need to book anything ahead of time, because the travel agent had got them a dining plan that allowed them to go into any restaurant they wanted, cut to the front of the line just by showing their dining card, and they could eat all they wanted all day long.:rolleyes::scared: I proceeded to explain the DDPs to her as well as the need to make ADRs. At first she argued, but then said she would call the travel agent to check on it. I then asked her few more questions and she told me that he thought Disney offered some sort of transportation from the airport to the parks and she could check on it at the airport. When I told her she had to be booked for DME and should receive yellow luggage tags so she wouldn't have to claim their bags at the airport she was shocked, but said she'd ask him about that too. The more she talked the more apparent it was that this travel agent didn't know anything about WDW. We talked for a long time and I told her I'd see what I could come up with for her. The next night she called me again to tell me she had went to the TA's office to talk to him and he admitted he'd never been to WDW and did not really know anything about it. He did call Disney, while she was in the office, and got the correct info about the DDPs and DME. Come to find out he'd booked them the basic DDP with one CS, one TS, and one snack. Not sure where he got that was 'all inclusive' and they'd have unlimited all day dining and wouldn't have to wait in any lines to get into the restaurants. I guess he must have read something about priority reservations and thought that was the purchased DDP.:rotfl:.:confused3 She said she thought $32.99 was awfully cheap for all day all you can eat at any kind of restaurant.

I remember an REALLY old plan that included dining or merchandise too! I think it was called silver or gold and you got 3 "magical wishes" a day that could be food, tours, or specific merchandise. We had 3 small kids the year we used it and ended up our last trip day picking up like 13 of those statue things 7 clear glass Mickey Mouse sitting on a pile of film canisters figurines and 6 Sorcerer Mickey standing by the castles. Guess what my whole family got for Christmas that year :wizard:

off topic sort of:

I know travel agents can make some really big mistakes when talking about the DDPs. Several years ago, a nurse on another unit at the hospital I work at, found out I go to WDW alot. One night she called me on the unit and just wanted some tips for her first trip. She then told me they were leaving in about three weeks and had just booked through our local small town travel agent. I told her the first thing she might want to do was call down there and see what dining reservations she could get since it was so late (this was before you could book them online). She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't need to book anything ahead of time, because the travel agent had got them a dining plan that allowed them to go into any restaurant they wanted, cut to the front of the line just by showing their dining card, and they could eat all they wanted all day long.:rolleyes::scared: I proceeded to explain the DDPs to her as well as the need to make ADRs. At first she argued, but then said she would call the travel agent to check on it. I then asked her few more questions and she told me that he thought Disney offered some sort of transportation from the airport to the parks and she could check on it at the airport. When I told her she had to be booked for DME and should receive yellow luggage tags so she wouldn't have to claim their bags at the airport she was shocked, but said she'd ask him about that too. The more she talked the more apparent it was that this travel agent didn't know anything about WDW. We talked for a long time and I told her I'd see what I could come up with for her. The next night she called me again to tell me she had went to the TA's office to talk to him and he admitted he'd never been to WDW and did not really know anything about it. He did call Disney, while she was in the office, and got the correct info about the DDPs and DME. Come to find out he'd booked them the basic DDP with one CS, one TS, and one snack. Not sure where he got that was 'all inclusive' and they'd have unlimited all day dining and wouldn't have to wait in any lines to get into the restaurants. I guess he must have read something about priority reservations and thought that was the purchased DDP.:rotfl:.:confused3 She said she thought $32.99 was awfully cheap for all day all you can eat at any kind of restaurant.

Wow....just....Wow!

I booked our trip with our local AAA. I booked it back in August with 1 travel agent and I kept stressing to her that walking distance from our hotel room to the monorail was a HUGE concern for me bc I have a 7yr old thats a constant complainer and an infant, and after spending all day in the parks walking I wanted to be close to our hotel room. So I chose the Contemporary because the Monorail goes straight through it. I kept stressing to the Travel Agent that I wanted to be in the main building with the monorail. She kept tell me I was and not to worry about it. Fast forward to January the travel agent I originally booked the trip with relocated to another AAA, so I got a new travel agent. I ended up having to move my dates back a month. When I went in to meet with the new travel agent and move my dates back I explained to her I wanted everything the same and again I questioned the main building. She looked at me and told me that I was originally booked in the garden wing which was an outer building and that I wasn't booked in the Tower which is the main building. I was shocked! I couldn't believe after stressing to the first travel agent about the location that I still wasn't booked in the building I wanted to be booked in. Anyways I rebooked my package with the new dates and in the Tower this time with a theme park view and it was like $500 cheaper! I couldn't believe it. If I didn't have to change my dates I would of been very surprised when I showed up at Disney thinking I was going to be in the main building. Anyways enough ranting! Just goes to show you that not all travel agents know what they are talking about.

with the deluxe dining plan can a table service be traded and used as a counter service?

with the deluxe dining plan can a table service be traded and used as a counter service?

Any TS credit can be used for a CS meal. On the regular DDP, you will have to use up all of your CS credits before they will begin pulling from your TS credits.

With the deluxe plan, you get 3 credits per night that can be used for ts or cs. There is no distinction between the two on the dxddp. Obviously, you only get your moneys worth by using the credits for ts. If you use many of the credits for cs you are wasting money.

Yep, in fact I wonder if they get performance bonuses or raises based on how much upselling they do. Also check your entire reservation after you make any modification. A couple of years ago I called to apply a room discount to a package, no change to the dinning was even discussed, and when I looked at the confirmation I noticed my deluxe dinning was now deluxe dinning w/ wine or something like that - not exactly a plan that two non drinkers would want.

LOL unless you know them personally.

All the information anyone needs to know is right here on these DISboards. Things constatly change at WDW especially the Dining Plan. for example the many times i have gone it started out as the Gold Key Card in the 80's then it was Food and Fun and then it was Discovery Magic then Magic your way + Dining

I mean you really have to check sources and do research before you take any trip especiallly to WDW.

To the OP, I would e-mail guest services. It should be easy enough to find out who booked your package. That way, the person can be retrained (or reprimanded).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter