• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue, though, is that a person who is STAYING at the resort is already PAYING. A person who is VISITING the resort is getting to park there for free. It should be the other way around. A person who is just visiting should be paying a separate parking fee and the person who is paying to stay overnight at the resort should not since they are already paying to stay there.

I agree. Resort guests should park for free and Day guests (with ADR's) should be charged if they exceed their allotted three hours of parking at the resort. That day guest fee should be far more than the theme park parking fee, thereby cracking down on non-resort guests simply parking there all day long to go to the parks.

Sure there is - you get to walk into a deluxe resort. :) And, deluxe resorts are more premium locations (often with less parking) for those who choose to park at the resorts for the purposes of visiting the parks. Thus, by making deluxe $2 more than general parking at the parks, it discourages that even further.

Day guests don't pay for parking so adding an overnight parking fee for resort guests will not discourage day guests from continuing to park all day long at the resorts.

What’s bad is they could have easily raised the rates of all rooms $15-$45 per night (value-deluxe) and nobody would have noticed or probably cared as much. Disney would have made more money, getting this amount from all guests, not just those who drive, and would not be facing the negative feedback. I tend to keep up with cost of tickets, but for hotel costs, I always just use the reservation system to get a quote for the room, and it is what it is. If the goal is to get less traffic on the roads with the same amount of guests, I’m sure there is a better option.

You forget that if this was embedded in the cost of the room, Disney would have to pay commission on that room rate to TA's, wholesalers, etc. Room commission for TA's is 10% and then you have to have a bunch of people in accounting and billing making sure those commissions are calculated and paid. I'm sure one of the reason they chose a stand-along fee is so they do not have to pay commission on it to anyone.

Just for a comparison. We are staying at The District by Hilton Club timeshare in November. Parking fee is $50 a day.

This would deter people from patronizing resort restaurants, bars, stores, and just visiting resorts to browse around perhaps in anticipation of a future stay. Sure, people could take Disney buses to get to the various resorts from the theme parks at no cost, but that would be very inconvenient for off-site guests and locals who might want to visit a resort for legitimate reason. I think a better approach would be to charge an hourly parking rate for all with a daily max for overnight guests, and allow restaurants and stores to validate the parking so its free for day guests, so as not to deter people from visiting there. While I don't agree with the parking charges, they won't stop me from staying there as an overnight guest. But I likely wouldn't go out of my way to visit a resort restaurant if I had to pay to park or use Disney transportation just to get there.
Actually, those folks get to park for free since they are not staying the night

BTW, has anyone be able to verify if we book a room now, then modify it for a promo rate, will that still grandfather us in? Or will the new rate automatically convert us to the new parking fees?
Ive read one report of someone speaking with Disney after emailing them and being assured that a modification would be fine. But who really knows? I have emailed them about it as well.

Disney is losing its magic.

Last year my family and I visited Universal. I hated paying the Parking Fees! During our Universal trip, we were constantly comparing it to Disney. Disney has more magic and a lot of that magic comes from the way Disney takes care of their guest. I will usually pass on a hotel that charges parking for a more expensive hotel, just on principle. I can not understand why if you pay to sleep in hotel, why is your car not included for FREE! Disney, I am disappointed and will be looking off property next trip. Disney is losing its magic.

This is long, sorry. I’m not usually this long...

I just calculated what our cost would’ve been to park last year with just one vehicle, not counting my nephew’s car when staying with us a few nights here and there. We took 4 trips for a total of 31 days with 6 nights excluded for DVC. $510 + tax. Then add gas for 11 hrs one way. That’s an airline ticket or two..or three.

Here’s my .02. We have stayed at several hotels within the past year on business and remember only paying a fee at one - Marriott downtown Chattanooga ($15 valet / $11 parking per night). Again, downtown. Stayed at a nice resort in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago, no parking fees. The only other time I remember paying a fee was in 2016 at a Crystal City high rise hotel right next to Washington, DC and the Pentagon. Talk about extremely scarce parking. We didn’t drive anywhere. We couldn’t. And were thankful to even have a spot at the hotel. However, the hotel offered a fully staffed valet and secure parking garage.

So, criteria - location (usually downtown), limited parking, attached garages, and valet (some even mandatory) - those are the common denominators that trigger this fee. That is what sets the industry standard. Not every Hilton branded hotel charges this fee; it’s not across the board. Again, it’s usually based on criteria.

Therefore, Disney using the industry standard to justify this is absolutely pathetic. No comparison. I can see perhaps a parking fee at certain resorts during certain holidays - but all year? And tiered by resort type? Values don’t even offer valet services. AKL in the middle of nowhere with bus-only transportation on par with values is just as much as Poly. Perhaps Boardwalk parking is tight right now, but what does that have to do with Pop or CB? It makes no sense.

Considering that we take multiple trips per year (4 booked this year), THIS has definitely woken us up and slapped us in the face...
Send them a letter telling them this

Ive read one report of someone speaking with Disney after emailing them and being assured that a modification would be fine. But who really knows? I have emailed them about it as well.

I would take any reservation confirmation paperwork you have stating the original date of the booking with you on your trip so you have it to show to the front desk if they try to charge you a fee. I don't trust anything a phone or guest services CM tells us at this point. These parking fees will be charged at the resort and are out of the hands of the other departments.

I truly love this conversation! I'm a financial professional and I have, for years, wondered what would stir up passions to drive a breaking point for disney patrons. I have had to include myself in this little experiment, as my heart has said 'Disney no matter what!' for years. However, last night I began researching alternative vacation ideas and I felt okay about it.

You just can't keep raising the prices with such predictable fervor and not eventually get backlash, actual backlash.

(and I have had to consider they are truly doing this on purpose as a way to decrease the insane crowds that just keep coming and coming, and yet not take a hit on their bottom line. Reduce the people but up the prices so net/net.) Good for the well to do, not good for the middle class.)

We were long time yearly visitors to WDW from the 90's to the start of FP+, staying at WDW resorts. We finally decided to start looking at returning, and now this charge for parking. However, I just discovered some great deals buy joining a certain membership. The deal includes staying a non Disney hotels that include parking, transportation to each park, and hopper tickets. While I will lose the 60 day window, it now looks VERY appealing. It could be BYE BYE to staying onsite.
And that 60 day window means very little anymore. When the rides were new and people wanted to ride them, that was one thing. We always FP Splash Mountain, 7DMT, The Haunted House, and Soarin' and Test Track at Epcot, and have never had a problem getting them even 20 days out. And with DtD becoming more like an overpriced outdoor mall, some of the Disney Magic seems to have become lost. What I like about staying on-site is walking around CBR Lake, spending time with my wife and just relaxing when we don't want to go to the parks, eating at some of the restaurants in Epcot and Magic Kingdom to get some of the WDW experience, and for the cost of the food, the portion seems to be getting smaller...and while the parking fees will not kill us, it is the overall costs that are getting outrageous. Raising prices but lowering expectations/service to your guests is getting old.

They say day guests don’t have to pay, but some people are being turned away from resort parking unless they have a reservation.

They have to control capacity. If they let anyone park, there will not be enough spaces for those staying there and dining. I would be so ticked off if I was paying and couldn't find a space. It's happened to me at BWV, I had to valet but that was before DVC members paid for valet.

They say day guests don’t have to pay, but some people are being turned away from resort parking unless they have a reservation.

Which stinks. We eat at Territory Lounge all the time. Every single time we visit Orlando. I have a conference coming up in May, which we planned on making a drive over to WL in the evening for our usual TL dinner. Guess that will not be happening now. :(

I truly love this conversation! I'm a financial professional and I have, for years, wondered what would stir up passions to drive a breaking point for disney patrons. I have had to include myself in this little experiment, as my heart has said 'Disney no matter what!' for years. However, last night I began researching alternative vacation ideas and I felt okay about it.

You just can't keep raising the prices with such predictable fervor and not eventually get backlash, actual backlash.

(and I have had to consider they are truly doing this on purpose as a way to decrease the insane crowds that just keep coming and coming, and yet not take a hit on their bottom line. Reduce the people but up the prices so net/net.) Good for the well to do, not good for the middle class.)
Went to the Florida Panhandle last July to visit my son in the Navy, then took some time and drove to Key West. Was actually cheaper than a 6 day stay at WDW for the 2 of us. I hate to say it...I didn't miss WDW. And I love WDW. My wife always teases me and says I am like a little kid when we go...packed usually 3-4 weeks ahead of time, and weeks worth of Disney attire. She asked when we are going this year, and I really can't justify the cost for just the two of us. Looking at a condo with some friends in Myrtle Beach or that area.

Right now it is just words. They have to put thier money where thier mouth os for it to be effective.

Wow,

I don't know what is worst, That they are charging us for parking at the resort or the really pathetic excuse they have for doing so? Really, that's what everyone does it?!!? The reason other resorts/hotels charge parking fee is the scarcity of spaces available, last I checked there is no scarcity of spaces at WDW. There has to be a factor for this, and the only one I think is that they anticipate the rush of guests when star wars land is completed and this is to quell the crowds. It will be interesting if it has an adverse effect.

One think is for sure, the off-site hotels got to be jumping for joy after hearing this news!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Not really. These drivers only stay a couple of hours. It's the off-site park-goers taking up the spaces.

It's illegal.

Placards include the holder's photograph. Plates, well, how many up HP plate holders are going to loan their entire vehicle to a vacationer?

In Florida, no photograph, but they do have your ID/DL Number on it. If a 22 yo man name John Smith shows up with a placard with an ID # K208-369-42-863-0, that might set off red flags.

I think the idea is they will pay more and those who stay at moderates will pay less before they lose customers. It’s just a Machiavellian money grab. No more or less.

Travel companies have learned that ancillary fees are very profitable. People will pay $375 plus $25 in parking more readily than they will pay $400. The key is getting the initial number as artificially low looking as possible. Whether it is resort fees at hotels, carry on baggage fees at airlines or the whole smorgasbord of ancillary fees when cruising, this is the way of the world now because it works. I guess it works for the same reason that $19.99 is more attractive than $20.00. So much more attractive that it’s worth it for retailers to forgo all those extra pennies to get the sale for the person who is put off by $20.00 but not $19.99. It’s weird, but it works, and Disney probably knows that after the initial shockwave it will settle down.

Except, Disney isn't lowering their prices, so it doesn't appear "cheap." Other places do this, but their base rates are low for what they offer. For example, I decided to try the Swan last year for a base rate of $156 and it ended up costing $236 with the taxes, resort fee, and parking. Now, that is still a great deal compared to YCR/BCR, but $156 looks a lot better than $236.

$130 for an average Motel Room (All-Stars) doesn't look "cheap". If they dropped rack rate to $99/night and then added $31 in fees, I could see this strategy working. The final price is the same, but looks cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter