Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GihXaT0.gif

Because once SWL opens, Disney won't have the hotel capacity.
That's not for over a year still though. So it doesn't make sense to do this for 2018. The perks are only confirmed through the end of this year.

My parents stayed at the Beach Club for 10 days and said they will never go back. My father has a bad back (8 operations) and his bed was really sunk in. He asked if he could change rooms and was told no because all the mattresses were the same.
Not to get OT, but didn't BC just finish room renovations? I thought they included new mattresses. I can't do sunken mattresses either...

I'm not sure I agree with you. First off, it's not that public. Unless you're a WDW forum reader or a local you probably don't even know about the parking fee. AAMOF, I'll go so far as to say there is probably an order of magnitude+ more people who are considering WDW this year who don't know the fee exists.

I get what you're saying but I disagree it's been so public and if that's not accurate then the rest of your post falls apart.

My 2¢ FWIW.

Mike

Everyone booking a hotel after the 21st will know. I'm sure the agents will be trained to tell potential guests, and the online booking tool will disclose. That's how they really get in front of the people who would be upset by this.

yes, i know all about this process - go to the UK trip planning board and you'll see tons of discussion..
as if i'm going to take time out of a holiday to go and deal with american bureaucracy (i'm an american so don't get me started on american bureaucracy)...
are you completely out of your mind??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
that makes sense?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
to have to go to the tax collector's office or the DMV in the middle of an EXTREMELY expensive disney holiday?????????????????????????

right...makes perfect sense...not..

Of course it makes no sense, LOL. they don't want you to actually do it, they just want to say we are here to help you if you are visiting from another country.
However, the $ 15 dollar fee looks pretty attractive next to a per night parking charge that may exceed that amount depending on where you are staying. I can't say for sure that I would do it in your circumstance, knowing that I would be wasting a couple of hours of my holiday, but then again..I'm spiteful enough to consider it:D

Yeah hard to believe any hotel in Boston has free parking. Maybe outside of the city itself.
My daughter lives in Boston so we visit often. You're right, hotels within Boston proper do charge for parking but those is the surrounding area usually don't. The closer you get to downtown the more likely you'll pay for parking. The hotels we usually stay at in the Dorchester area don't charge.

Mike

Everyone booking a hotel after the 21st will know. I'm sure the agents will be trained to tell potential guests, and the online booking tool will disclose. That's how they really get in front of the people who would be upset by this.
That's when most will find out and I doubt that those starting the booking process will stop because of that one fee. I don't know about getting in front anything but I kinda think it will be the repeat customers who will not go or at least not as often. Those going for the first time, if they get past the sticker shock, will probably just think that's the way it's always been.

Mike

Of course it makes no sense, LOL. they don't want you to actually do it, they just want to say we are here to help you if you are visiting from another country.
However, the $ 15 dollar fee looks pretty attractive next to a per night parking charge that may exceed that amount depending on where you are staying. I can't say for sure that I would do it in your circumstance, knowing that I would be wasting a couple of hours of my holiday, but then again..I'm spiteful enough to consider it:D

you're clearly an optimist if you think it would be just a couple of hours....while i've never been to a florida DMV, i've been at the equivalent in michigan - where every time you cross the threshold you run the risk of dying of old age before you manage to get out....and they don't even have air conditioning half of the time...

in any case, it's all academic....i'm not going back any time soon....i'm cancelling our august reservation and i'm done until they change their tune (apparently i'm an optimist too if i believe they're going to backtrack this and other decreasing quality/service issues)..

FWIW a lot of people complain about parking fees. however, the majority of people will still go. Just like people complained about the increase in ticket prices. Disney is a business and businesses do and will increase prices as they see fit.Do I like it? No. Will I complain about it? Yeah. Will it stop me from going? Maybe or maybe not. I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with me.

All I know is that when we go to places like Gatlinburg, most of them charge for parking. They also charge resort fees. Do I like it? No, but I pay it because ultimately going on a weekend getaway is what it's all about for me....

I understand many many places charge a parking fee..and a resort fee for that matter, but with Disney charging practically double of a normal hotel without any reason to be charging as much as they do, I, for one, pretty much thought the inflated rate was because they included the parking and resort fee (and were still high priced). If I will now be charged in addition to the inflated room rate, I feel they are just stealing from me.

Do I have $$ to pay for parking..sure. We all probably do, but I feel like there is absolutely no value for me in the extra $288 I will need to give them to park my car. Typically we stay 11 - 12 nights. Ive been asked why I dont stay 2 full week, or just one week and my answer is always re: the tickets. The best ticket VALUE is the 10 day. Assuming I wont go to a park my first or last day, 11 - 12 nights is our best value. Yes, we pay for more nights at the hotel, but that way we can go to parks for 1/2 days, still see it all and be able to relax a bit during our stay. Years ago I went for only a week and needed a vacation after I returned from a Disney trip.

I can easily spend our money on what we prefer, but I would always buy the mansion one block from the ocean opposed to the same priced 1 bedroom ocean front condo which will charge me condo fees every month. When I feel like Im being ripped off, I wll walk away. Yes, over $5, $288 or $2,000,000.

Yeah hard to believe any hotel in Boston has free parking. Maybe outside of the city itself.

I agree if you are in a big city you would expect to pay for parking. If I were to go downtown in my area, I couldn't even get out of my car without paying to park. So I rarely go there. I rarely need to. If I have to go for an event or show, then I will pay to park at the venue because I have to. I expect to pay to park at places like shows, theme parks, cruises- and if I have to I will. But for these shows, cruises, parks, etc., I have stayed in hotels with free parking.

I agree that the difference is that my hotels are in more suburban areas rather than downtown. But, WDW isn't in downtown Orlando. It's in a suburban area, isn't it? It's not urban, it's not rural, it's sub-urban.

Right now I have a choice. I can find WDW area accomodations with free parking. If that is no longer the case in the future, and I want to go to WDW, I will pay for parking at the hotel of my choice. For years I would not even consider staying off-site. The less-expensive, nicer options that I was aware of charged extra fees and Disney didn't, so I stuck with on-site. Disney is basically introducing me to new options now. So we'll see. I might like them better, I might not. I used to be loyal to Disney, I'm not now. I know they don't care. That's fine, they are a business. Their choice.

you're clearly an optimist if you think it would be just a couple of hours....while i've never been to a florida DMV, i've been at the equivalent in michigan - where every time you cross the threshold you run the risk of dying of old age before you manage to get out....and they don't even have air conditioning half of the time...

in any case, it's all academic....i'm not going back any time soon....i'm cancelling our august reservation and i'm done until they change their tune (apparently i'm an optimist too if i believe they're going to backtrack this and other decreasing quality/service issues)..

Indeed an optimist, but was also thinking the tax offices are only busy twice a year when the tax bills come out. The DMV in any state is horrendous whenever you go, and you really need to pack for a full day

I understand many many places charge a parking fee..and a resort fee for that matter, but with Disney charging practically double of a normal hotel without any reason to be charging as much as they do, I, for one, pretty much thought the inflated rate was because they included the parking and resort fee (and were still high priced). If I will now be charged in addition to the inflated room rate, I feel they are just stealing from me.

Do I have $$ to pay for parking..sure. We all probably do, but I feel like there is absolutely no value for me in the extra $288 I will need to give them to park my car. Typically we stay 11 - 12 nights. Ive been asked why I dont stay 2 full week, or just one week and my answer is always re: the tickets. The best ticket VALUE is the 10 day. Assuming I wont go to a park my first or last day, 11 - 12 nights is our best value. Yes, we pay for more nights at the hotel, but that way we can go to parks for 1/2 days, still see it all and be able to relax a bit during our stay. Years ago I went for only a week and needed a vacation after I returned from a Disney trip.

I can easily spend our money on what we prefer, but I would always buy the mansion one block from the ocean opposed to the same priced 1 bedroom ocean front condo which will charge me condo fees every month. When I feel like Im being ripped off, I wll walk away. Yes, over $5, $288 or $2,000,000.

YES!!!!!...this!

Indeed an optimist, but was also thinking the tax offices are only busy twice a year when the tax bills come out. The DMV in any state is horrendous whenever you go, and you really need to pack for a full day

i looked it up...apparently in florida, the tax collector's office is the DMV....or at least in orange county (where WDW is)...
you get your drivers license there, tags, etc.
so have we gone off topic? :)

As I was reading all the previous posts, yes, all of them, lol, it occurred to me that Disney might have another more subtle reason to announce this parking fee at this time. Maybe Disney was looking at lower than expected resort capacity for the summer and wanted a way to sell a bunch of rooms without offering any kind of discount or incentive? Quite a few posters here have suggested that they were going to hurry and book before the parking fees came online. So if Disney fills up a bunch of rooms during the summer and starts raking in the parking fees on top of it, they may not need to offer any kind of discount for the summer at all. I guess we'll see if/when the summer offers are announced, or not.

I have a travel agent license and graduated DCoK, which allows me to book Disney. If I go into their site, there is no mention of the new fee. I only know because of this board. It will be interesting to look at come the 21st.

I've really been thinking about this over the last couple of days. My knee jerk reaction was to cancel all my current reservations and take my money elsewhere. My husband, bless his heart, talked me off the ledge once we discovered our existing reservations would still receive free parking. However, this decision has been the push I needed to heavily consider the non-Disney owned resorts like Swan & Dolphin, Four Seasons, and Waldorf where I get a corporate discount. I've looked at them in the past but always ended up at a Disney resort due to the perceived value of being near the parks. The more I think about it, the happier I think I'll be at truly high end resorts instead of Disney's idea of "deluxe". I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying $400+/night PLUS $24/night for parking and not being able to book a king bed :confused3 Nope, you can request it, but no guarantees! Unless there is just a phenomenal deal, I doubt Disney resorts will see any more of my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter