Disney school trip prank

wdwmom3

DIS Veteran
I just read an article about grade 8 students in Windsor were led to believe that they were going to Disney for a year end trip when it was really just a prank. Apparently a teacher left out a brochure for students to find and then the kids were shown a video about the trip. After it was over and the kids were super excited they told them they weren't going. The year end trip planned was one to a bowling ally. I can't believe the teachers did this. Those poor kids.

I think it was a terrible thing to do but I don't think it was bullying, the teachers involved should be reprimanded but there has been talk of firing them which I think is a bit extreme - they shouldn't lose their jobs over it

I think it was a terrible thing to do but I don't think it was bullying, the teachers involved should be reprimanded but there has been talk of firing them which I think is a bit extreme - they shouldn't lose their jobs over it

There has been no talk of firing, except from random posters on the Internet.

They would never be fired for this type of thing. Our teacher unions are very powerful, and they get child predators put back into classrooms, so these teachers wouldn't be fired.

They were privately disciplined today, and the climate at the school is very, very tense...

Very bad judgment on the part of these teachers. :eek: As a teacher, the whole situtation makes me very uneasy.

Tiger

If the "prank" was targeted against the one(s) who snooped, it would not be so bad...but I think it is cruel to do it to the whole grade 8 population. That being said, this certainly does not meet my definition of bullying.

Bullying? No. Totally inappropriate and unprofessional? Yes!!!! The term bullying is too loosely used nowadays. Yes it's a serious hot topic right now and with that people need to get educated on what the clear definition of bullying really is.

That being said, I do feel sorry for those students and as a parent I would be none to happy. The staff involved need to be reprimanded.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

This IMO was no way bullying. However it was unprofessional, cruel and deceiving.

It is also very hypocritical- can you imagine how much trouble a student/ students would get into if they carried out a similar scale joke on a teacher? The teachers should be punished, but not fired.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Sorry, we will have to disagree as to whether it's bullying.

They hyped the kids up with fake props, and then showed the recording of their despair and dejection to another class.

You don't call this bullying? I do, and I am a teacher, Tiger

Bullying? No. Totally inappropriate and unprofessional? Yes!!!! The term bullying is too loosely used nowadays. Yes it's a serious hot topic right now and with that people need to get educated on what the clear definition of bullying really is.

Agree.

My DS had his orbital broken by another student during lunch break last May, with the physical assault coming on the heels of months of torment via social media. THAT is bullying. And sadly, that kind of an attack is so common it doesn't even make the radar of the community.

I think teachers need to lead by example, and these particular educators are guilty of excessively bad judgement. But "bullying"? Not in my opinion. The whole thing has just been blown up by the media because its pretty uncommon for teachers to act more childishly than their students. (To all those awesome teachers out there.....and there are many of you.....thanks for all you do :thumbsup2).

I do hope that this school and these teachers use this whole matter as a learning experience for everyone, and apologize to the student body for their poor choices. When you do wrong, admit your error and apologize to those affected. Now THAT is an educational experience that our youth could really benefit from.

I think the teachers involved should have to send 1 family to wdw. Do a draw of all the students names who were tricked.

I'm actually surprised this happened at this point. I mean, with all the ontario teachers refusing to partake in extra curriculars and voluntary work as part of their work to rule campaign...but this they can do? I can't even get my sons teacher to provide a monthly class calendar like she use to!

I hope these teachers are punished appropriately.

I also agree this is a case of bullying - in a passive/aggressive way. The definition of "bullying" is not a one size fit all word.

I would be very interested in knowing whether these teachers were actually disciplined or not although I know we will never find out.

Ontario kids and students and parents have been jerked around since the beginning of the school year and now this.

As I mentioned in the original thread discussing this, teachers were privately disciplined yesterday.

Tiger

LSmith said:
I know you said that but I'd love to know what "disciplined" means in this particular case.

It is being kept very under wraps at this point.

We are all wondering...

Tiger

I hope the discipline will become public and if the community doesn't feel the discipline was proper, they force the school board to act accordingly.

The adults that are supposed to be teaching our children should be held accountable for their poor decisions.

I would not be very happy with my kid's teacher, school, or school board if this happened in his class.

This behaviour by the teachers is subversive...and it sounds like they have too much time on their hands to be wasting taxpayer money by spending time on a hurtful prank...put energies on positive outcomes for your students, not concocting revenge on a few.

Get back to your real jobs that you are being paid for.

On the other side, this is not representative of even a minority of hard working teachers!

Inga

I also agree this is a case of bullying - in a passive/aggressive way. The definition of "bullying" is not a one size fit all word.

I would be very interested in knowing whether these teachers were actually disciplined or not although I know we will never find out.

Ontario kids and students and parents have been jerked around since the beginning of the school year and now this.

ITA with the above. If this was my child's school - I would be raising bloody heck over this!!! I also don't agree with the "private discipline" they received. The students and parents of this school have a right to know what action is being taken against the teachers.

Shouldn't the teachers involved make public amends to the students?

What happened in private would not be relevant but would also not limit the magnitude of public amends.

I really wonder what sort of discipline would be deemed appropriate in private. They humiliated kids in front of others. I believe their discipline should be made known to those involved.
This would be one group of teachers who will not see respect from their students, and rightfully so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter