Disney School Trip-Sick Child-School Policies ??

In most instances, they know who the parent is. Or I hope they do. They knew her parent was on property. They allowed her to be with her mother all day. This isn’t a “not with chaperone” situation she wasn’t with an actual chaperone all day

As for the coach-I may have assumed wrong but here none of the part time coaches would have been allowed to take the students on a trip like this. Our small school only has one or two part time and usually they will be for a brand new sport or team. Any team that goes away to a competition is required to have a full time coach.

I guess what's confusing to me about the transportation is that the OP is still there w/ her DD, & I think they're still at SoG.

They were at the parks earlier today. How are they getting back to their resort right now?

She was staying SoG while her DD was staying w/ her team at one of the All Stars resorts. How did the OP get back to SoG the night her DD was sick after they met the team at 7:00 pm?

I've never been in a taxi or Uber or Lyft before in my life. In our area, there is no mass-transit available, & everyone drives personal cars.

However, I'm familiar enough w/ Disney that, I think, if I were there & my daughter were sick & we needed to go back to my resort, I could go to the front of the park & ask for assistance from Customer Relations. And I'm sure a castmember could help me with contacting some kind of taxi service.

The issue was traveling between SOG and All Star Movies using Disney transit.

You realize not every coach does so full time? Sometimes they have a second (primary) job. One of DS' former coaches is a nurse. Granted that was club, not school, but some school coaches around here work another job and coach after hours.

I think the OP wasn't thinking straight on the day in question (I believe she's admitted as such). It's not out of the realm of possibilities that she misunderstood something the coach told her. I also don't think it's beyond crazy that the school (represented by the coach) wasn't allowed to let one of the students leave the park on their own, that they had to be accompanied by a chaperone. If the OP isn't a chaperone, that can change how much the school can allow.

I'm not saying the OP was in the wrong, and I'm not saying the coach was.

The coaches are full time. Late 20s. If they had a medical degree and an education degree by this time in their lives, bravo. However, I know for a fact that these particular coaches do not.

DD's gymnastics team coach is a DHS investigator as well. I realize some people have dual roles, along with pasts.

Not much misunderstanding from coach as it's all text and email and saved. But yes, not thinking straight.

There were no chaperones. Just the two coaches. On the day in question, kids were supppsed to be in groups of 4 or with an adult. That was all the information shared.

I simply want to know the policy on sick students on an overnight school trip. Once I know dd's school's policy, I can decide if she's allowed to be on that team.

Plus, the coaches and school's admin knew my dd was staying longer than the team. I'm really not that dense to 'cough, cough' play sick when it's well known my dd was going to be separating from the group as they were leaving DW. Fortunately, I know the truth and don't need to justify what I did. I'm not entirely happy with my actions or my decisions and I will definitely look at this as a learning experience.

Were there other school personnel there? I am confused on how there were only the two coaches and all the kids were supposed to be with an adult.

She is 16. Not sure what first aid could have done.
Provide a quiet place to lay down, away from other guests so as to minimize exposure.
DS came down with a stomach bug midday after we'd checked out once. Our flight wasn't until nearly midnight. He spent several hours resting in First Aid at the studios. Quite a few other people were in with what seemed to be the same bug.

Which brings up assuming the OP's child was part of a group of four, if the child leaves to rest, what happens to the other three kids? Do they need to stay with an adult?

Ok I misread, but I would think it would be a group of four or more and those 3 could join another group.

I would find it very odd if the group couldn’t be larger than four.

Op, honestly if it had been me, I would have texted the coach or called and just said “dd is sick and will be staying with me. Is there something I need to meet with you and sign so you are covered?” I would not have left it up to the coach at all. Just as I would do on any given school day.

If the principal or whoever can’t give you the policy, I am not sure what they could have done. If they tried to put her off the team, I would take it to administration.

I don’t think you did anything wrong. I seriously doubt you were the only person in all of the parks that thought your sick child was ok and took them to the park. It happens. How many parents make their child go to school and then an hour later discover they really are that sick? It happens.

Sounds like more of a power struggle than an actual policy worry. I understand that policy during the actual competition as it is sometimes the policy of the competition but it was over wasn’t it?

Op, honestly if it had been me, I would have texted the coach or called and just said “dd is sick and will be staying with me. Is there something I need to meet with you and sign so you are covered?” I would not have left it up to the coach at all. Just as I would do on any given school day.

If the principal or whoever can’t give you the policy, I am not sure what they could have done. If they tried to put her off the team, I would take it to administration.

I don’t think you did anything wrong. I seriously doubt you were the only person in all of the parks that thought your sick child was ok and took them to the park. It happens. How many parents make their child go to school and then an hour later discover they really are that sick? It happens.

Sounds like more of a power struggle than an actual policy worry. I understand that policy during the actual competition as it is sometimes the policy of the competition but it was over wasn’t it?

Over, yes. We think a lot alike. Should it happen again, I will do just as you mentioned.

I'm sorry, the school told you that you couldn't keep your daughter with you? My reply would have been "Well, my parenting/custody policy overrides your school policy, so she's staying with her mom".

Schools do not have the right to tell you what to do with your own child.

This says it all for me. No way will anyone keep me from getting my sick child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter