Disney shuts down all future developments

It is also used to stop birds sitting on the ledges and pooping on you here :)

It is also used to stop birds sitting on the ledges and pooping on you here :)

yes, but look at those nets, next time, they're often under the structures, on the side facing down.
Maybe to stop bats from resting there ... :rotfl2:

There's no way those nets are for safety.

It wouldn't make sense as they're attached to the bits that are most likely to fall off :rotfl2:

It's almost certainly to stop birds pooping on it.

Either way, they're hideous and not very Disney.

oh its definately to stop birds and bats and any other flying creature that could get up there and do a whoopsy! :rotfl:

totally ignore the red circles on the picture that show the timbers severley rotting away. :rolleyes1
if you save the picture and zoom in you can see it quite clearly.

OK those are bird nets not safety nets.

I have searched the web for this 'no investment by TWDC' story and can't find a thing. Can someone point me to the TWDC press release or investor relations update by TWDC for this story as I can't find an offical source for it anywhere.

To me they do look like safety nets. It also looks like the bits in the red are actually missing rather than badly rotted? Did they maybe fall off??

I dont think these are a long term thing instead of maintenance, more likely they're emergency measures until proper repairs are done in next few weeks

All I'm going to say on this matter is watch this space and don't take that article as solid proof that there is nothing new coming to DLP.

DLP has lots of things planned in the next coming year.

Unlike others I've no "insider" information, and nor am I an expert.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I struggle to believe that TWDC would now consider closing DLP.

My reasoning is fairly simple (for me). 6 months ago (or so) TWDC could have easily play games with DLP with the consideration of aiming to have it winded down. It is after all the biggest shareholder, and I would assume a fairly big creditor (ignoring the debt payment - I just mean money owed for licensing etc).

In doing this TWDC, whilst damaging its reputation, could have fairly happy said that it had done everything that it could (was willing) within the structure of the French organisation to save/help it. As I say it would have taken the damage to it's reputation on the chin and a small financial loss (in comparison).

However now TWDC would lose it's €1.8 Billion "investment" (the money it paid to the banks) plus any other money that it was hope to "claim" from DLP (licensing, royalties etc) and damage it's reputation. I don't see why it would have paid off the banks if it felt that closing DLP was a potential option. After all TWDC has the best insight into the "business" behind DLP - it wouldn't have blinding provided the billions - and additionally its going to have to answer to it's own shareholders if that money was to go down the drain.

Whilst there are obvious assets at DLP, the majority TWDC wouldn't want to see fall into anyone else hands. It's really a TWDC asset strip and flatten the land if you were going to close DLP in order to make money from what was left - ie land..

Even with a asset strip - there is only so much that TWDC could really use at other parks.

Given this I think, on the basis that this "hold" is correct that:

a) TWDC wants time to review the operation of the park and how best to address the issues and any expansion - rather than the current DLP way of having to address one area at a time.

or

b) Bob Iger and his team are looking to ensure that DLP becomes his successors problem.

As I say, I'm no expert - I'm sure others will be able to pick this apart to address why this is wrong (that's not a complaint).

Iain

b) Bob Iger and his team are looking to ensure that DLP becomes his successors problem.

interesting

but this could be seen from 2 angles.

The negative angle : Iger does not want his track record to be tarnished and will let his successor take the decisions, however painful they might be.

The positive angle : Iger does not want to jeopardize DLP by starting reforms that might not be followed by his successor. As nothing is worse than a change of policy or leadership during a salvage operation.

I dont think these are a long term thing instead of maintenance, more likely they're emergency measures until proper repairs are done in next few weeks

They have been confirmed to be safety nettings installed after a piece of the roof fell off this building (which is a replica of Disneyland California's castle in case you didn't notice or know)

Are those long or short term things ... one answer, or rather 2 answers ... ToT and Indiana Jones ... both have such nettings, and have had them for months (years actually)

The elements on main street are really rotting away and let the water seep through.
Water seeping through is a huge problem. For those who remember, before the castle's rehab, the window (ovale shaped) at the top of the highest tower, was halfway full of water, you could see the water level when you looked at the castle.
Mainstreet is also constructed on rather unstable grounds, pumps are needed to keep it dry

Look at the ceilings in some shops (here's the baby shop on the right hand side of Mainstreet)

1078654_10201765978097371_106599123_o.jpg

558474_10201766240383928_676720305_n.jpg

Let me post this here to avoid creating a new thread.

DLP has been hit even more strongly on August 9th, when the landscaping department (Environnement et nature) has been robbed

gardening equipment has been stolen, for a total amount estimated to at least 100.000 euros (£85.000). But the total prejudice might be as high as 500.000 euros (£425.000)

robbers have cut a few bushes and fences to get to their loot

investigation is underway

Let me post this here to avoid creating a new thread.

DLP has been hit even more strongly on August 9th, when the landscaping department (Environnement et nature) has been robbed

gardening equipment has been stolen, for a total amount estimated to at least 100.000 euros (£85.000). But the total prejudice might be as high as 500.000 euros (£425.000)

robbers have cut a few bushes and fences to get to their loot

investigation is underway

Oh dear! :sad2:

Security must have had the night off!

our visit next march will be our last visit for quite a while unless i win the lottery. Its not a cheap holiday. and since our first trip in 2009, i think for us, its lost a bit of its value for money. Dreams aside, all that seems to have happened is shows disapearing, and the woodys round up area has gone, which on our first trip was one of the highlights of our stay as the character meet and greet was fantastic. I must be the only person who thinks toy story land was a wasted opportunity. i m not that impressed with it to be brutally honest. Anyway, thats a different discussion....

no new rides for goodness how many years, apart from ratatouille, isnt great news really. but im sure there will be an increase in shows/parades/meet and greets for the 25th anniversary! i hope so anyway!

imagine the logistics of keeping every disney park upto scratch and upto date with new rides and shows! it must be a nightmare keeping everyone happy. its an impossible task.

i really hope star wars land and marvel land and a few more shows, parades and whatever else can appear in the future so that i can again return to DLP one day in the 2020's! :thumbsup2

No new attractions until 2022 is a little disappointing, as I do feel the studios is still a little on the small side.

I must say I haven't signed the petition that's going around, as personally I don't agree with most things on there, however you have got to think, if there are no new attractions at all from 2014 till 2022, will visitor numbers go down? its an awfully long time to keep things exactly the same.

Hopefully they at least create some new shows, and maybe expand Disney Village if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter