Disney shuts down Toon studios

Kinda sad about this - I mean, obviously that people are losing their jobs by also I think there is still space for lower end “straight to video” releases.

Maybe now it wouldn’t be straight to video but it could have been used for the streaming service

I know my kids still will watch the Tinkerbell movies if they come on TV or on Netflix or whatever

I’m totally fine about this. I don’t think it’s a massive loss. Hopefully those out of work can end up at Disney or Pixar Animation.

Find is crazy that Disney always waits for a Friday before mentioning bad news

I was never watched all the "straight to video" sequels they pumped out in the 90s and early 2000s. They just didn't appeal to me (didn't have kids yet). I have some of them via combo-packs and a lot are available on Netflix, but just haven't found the desire to watch them. Though my family has found the Tinker Bell series on Netflix really good and the Planes series of films, but that studio hasn't made anything for years I think.

Straight to video just isn't lucrative now, I guess and there isn't room in the theatrical release realm for smaller releases like Planes, I guess.

You'd think they would want a "B-team" animation studio to pump out content for the upcoming streaming service.

Kinda sad about this, but it doesn't come as a shock. I was thinking their days were numbered when the Fox merger was announced, since Disney would need so much money and would then have four studios making animated movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if this move was made as a budget cut to shore up some Fox funds. If they do want a kind of "B" movie animation studio, I'd bet they just make that Blue Sky once they own it, relegating it to Direct-to-Video or Direct-to-Streaming work.

That's actually kinda sad. Their work is actually underrated and under Lasseter they were doing good things. I know straight-to-video has dwindled, but with the streaming, I'd think they would have been been able to fill that space.

I'm always sad to see a studio close, but they may not be needed with the purchase of Blue Sky Studios.

If the direct-to-video releases are down, hopefully the animators will get moved to the TV side of things and create episodic content. They'll probably need new episodic content for whenever they release their digital subscription platform.

I was never watched all the "straight to video" sequels they pumped out in the 90s and early 2000s. They just didn't appeal to me (didn't have kids yet). I have some of them via combo-packs and a lot are available on Netflix, but just haven't found the desire to watch them. Though my family has found the Tinker Bell series on Netflix really good and the Planes series of films, but that studio hasn't made anything for years I think.

The Lion King 2 was pretty good, I'd say that one's worth a watch. Most of the other direct-to-video sequels were lackluster.

Wrapping up all the projects that Lasseter may have ever had input on... moving onto new projects...

this is pretty par for the course in animation history isn't it? ;)

The Lion King 2 was pretty good, I'd say that one's worth a watch. Most of the other direct-to-video sequels were lackluster.

I've been fascinated with watching some of those sequels, and they definitely are hit and miss, but I have been surprised that they are mostly not as bad as their reputation. Mostly I think the problem had to do with budget, as the ideas are solid.

Also, the precursor to DisneyToon made the greatest movie ever, A Goofy Movie, and they will always get credit for that!

I'm with the others here - you need MORE content, not less. It's not like this studio churned out mega hits but they were demanded to keep the costs down and content flowing which they did. A retooling to turn this into a creative incubator (anybody remember Raw Toonage on Saturday mornings?) would've been a great idea to try out ideas with little risk. Yes, I fell asleep in the theater watching Planes. But I do still like certain aspects of it. :)

I actually wonder if a new division will be announced soon that will be making content for the streaming station. Unless they just want to fill the station with old Disney afternoon cartoons and World of Colors. That's ok too.

I've been fascinated with watching some of those sequels, and they definitely are hit and miss, but I have been surprised that they are mostly not as bad as their reputation. Mostly I think the problem had to do with budget, as the ideas are solid.

Also, the precursor to DisneyToon made the greatest movie ever, A Goofy Movie, and they will always get credit for that!

Hmm let's think...

Pocahontas 2: terrible
Lion King 2: pretty good
Lion King 1.5: meh
Aladdin 2: ok, missed Robin Williams
Aladdin 3: approaching good
Brother Bears 2: never watched it
Lilo and Stitch 2: couldn't finish it

What am I missing?

I looked it up and it seems that Disneytoon and Disney Television Animation are both in Glenndale. I think they're actually right across the street from each other.

I actually wonder if a new division will be announced soon that will be making content for the streaming station. Unless they just want to fill the station with old Disney afternoon cartoons and World of Colors. That's ok too.

Hmm let's think...

Pocahontas 2: terrible
Lion King 2: pretty good
Lion King 1.5: meh
Aladdin 2: ok, missed Robin Williams
Aladdin 3: approaching good
Brother Bears 2: never watched it
Lilo and Stitch 2: couldn't finish it

What am I missing?

Oh, there are a bunch more. I haven't seen most of them. Mulan II isn't too bad. It retained the voice cast. They had recently moved away from the sequels and were working on originals, like the Tinkerbell movies and Planes franchises. They actually hadn't put anything out for a couple of years.

It’s only a shame as someone who sees how much DTV stuff Warner churns out and all I can think is “now that Disney restructured it’s animation department on how they deal with stories if they went back it could be great”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter