Disney Skyliner (Gondola) Construction Updates

According to all the specifications sources that I've been able to find, the answer for now is no a/c. One of the things that makes gondola systems economical is that there is no electrical wiring to the gondola cars. Any lights are battery operated and pick up a charge each time the car rotates through a station, but you can't run an a/c system on a small battery. Doppelmayr says that the gondolas will have "passive cooling", which translates into slot vents near the roof and floor; the idea is that the movement of the car creates a breeze that comes through the vents. I think that works fine at high altitudes, but Disney World is only about 50 feet above sea level. Even with the height of the towers, they will not be tall enough to rise above the ground-layer humidity.
Very interesting! Now what happens on those winter days? Disney has been known to get quite chilly!

Darn, maybe I was just being overly optimistic about the time frame it would take because when I booked POP back in September 2017 I was hoping it would be operating by my December 2018 trip.

Darn, maybe I was just being overly optimistic about the time frame it would take because when I booked POP back in September 2017 I was hoping it would be operating by my December 2018 trip.
Anticipated opening is somewhere in 2019. I believe mid-2019. I'm hoping it will be running for our Sep 2019 trip but not counting on it.

Very interesting! Now what happens on those winter days? Disney has been known to get quite chilly!

The assumption is that you'll be wearing a jacket, I think. Actually, winter shouldn't be too bad, because the sun will probably warm the inside of the cars sufficiently to be comfortable if the vents are mostly closed. When these systems are used for ski resorts, they are normally unheated, though I've heard that some resorts are experimenting with battery-operated seat warmers.

Also, FWIW, observers think that the construction of the Skyliner infrastructure may be getting ahead of schedule. Doppelmayr famously insists that its own staff do the installations, so folks who follow this industry think that perhaps they need to get it done sooner in order to move their people to other scheduled projects. All just speculation, and even if the stations and towers go up quickly, they won't be able to get it going without extensive testing (during which phase I anticipate that they will have to bite the bullet and add a/c.)

I am hoping that once the gondolas arrive, that they will park some around the property so that guests can check them out on the ground.

Last edited:

I am hoping that once the gondolas arrive, that they will park some around the property so that guests can check them out on the ground.

Some static previews near the under-construction stations would be pretty cool!

The assumption is that you'll be wearing a jacket, I think. Actually, winter shouldn't be too bad, because the sun will probably warm the inside of the cars sufficiently to be comfortable if the vents are mostly closed. When these systems are used for ski resorts, they are normally unheated, though I've heard that some resorts are experimenting with battery-operated seat warmers.

Also, FWIW, observers think that the construction of the Skyliner infrastructure may be getting ahead of schedule. Doppelmayr famously insists that its own staff do the installations, so folks who follow this industry think that perhaps they need to get it done sooner in order to move their people to other scheduled projects. All just speculation, and even if the stations and towers go up quickly, they won't be able to get it going without extensive testing (during which phase I anticipate that they will have to bite the bullet and add a/c.)

I just got back from WDW and spoke with one of the bus drivers who was greeting guests. He said that there would in fact be no AC for the gondolas. He also gave some numbers on how many people the buses move vs the gondolas, and the buses transport way more (I forgot the exact numbers) so now I'm not how much this will help with traffic but then again I think every little bit helps. I do hope you're right though and if they can find a way to add AC it would be great.

I just got back from WDW and spoke with one of the bus drivers who was greeting guests. He said that there would in fact be no AC for the gondolas. He also gave some numbers on how many people the buses move vs the gondolas, and the buses transport way more (I forgot the exact numbers) so now I'm not how much this will help with traffic but then again I think every little bit helps. I do hope you're right though and if they can find a way to add AC it would be great.

There’s a very active thread re the gondola on the Rumors board, with very knowledgeable folks posting. The consensus there is that the gondolas will be able to carry 3,000 to 5,000 passengers per hour. That’s way more than the buses - the equivalent of 3 bus loads every 5 minutes. Unfortunately the consensus re AC does agree with the bus driver, that there won’t be any. ☹️

There’s a very active thread re the gondola on the Rumors board, with very knowledgeable folks posting. The consensus there is that the gondolas will be able to carry 3,000 to 5,000 passengers per hour. That’s way more than the buses - the equivalent of 3 bus loads every 5 minutes. Unfortunately the consensus re AC does agree with the bus driver, that there won’t be any. ☹️
I'll have to check it out!

Disney reps have been saying 8 passengers, while Dopplmayr has been saying 10; my guess is that that is the difference between the typical-sized American and the typical-sized Swiss. I do not know if they will also allow standing; I would think that the answer would normally be no.

The open floor space between the benches has been described as the size of a standard shipping pallet, which should be adequate for a double stroller or ECV to be parked there. They probably will not ask that strollers be folded, because the system depends on being able to quickly load/unload from the cabins without having to stop them (though I think with ECV's they will have to)

I've been both looking forward to and nervous about the Skyliner System because the Caribbean Beach is my favorite resort. I love that there will be an alternative method of transportation available aside from the buses, but I'm also nervous that it will cause the prices of Caribbean Beach to skyrocket once the construction is complete.

I've been both looking forward to and nervous about the Skyliner System because the Caribbean Beach is my favorite resort. I love that there will be an alternative method of transportation available aside from the buses, but I'm also nervous that it will cause the prices of Caribbean Beach to skyrocket once the construction is complete.
I'm feeling the same about Pop. Between the skyliner and the newly renovated rooms I'm concerned the prices will go up, up, up! So thankful the other value resorts are being renovated also!

Disney reps have been saying 8 passengers, while Dopplmayr has been saying 10; my guess is that that is the difference between the typical-sized American and the typical-sized Swiss. I do not know if they will also allow standing; I would think that the answer would normally be no.

The open floor space between the benches has been described as the size of a standard shipping pallet, which should be adequate for a double stroller or ECV to be parked there. They probably will not ask that strollers be folded, because the system depends on being able to quickly load/unload from the cabins without having to stop them (though I think with ECV's they will have to)

Part of me wishes they wouldn't allow strollers on these things. Spacing looks tight, and the size of strollers people use border on the edge of ludicrous.

Part of me wishes they wouldn't allow strollers on these things. Spacing looks tight, and the size of strollers people use border on the edge of ludicrous.
My guess is that if a family has a stroller they will be riding on their own. There is discussion already as to whether families will be riding on their own or if smaller groups will be encouraged to ride together. I have no idea what way they'll go but I can't see them forcing groups together but that's just my thoughts, nothing official.

The door opening is barely wide enough for the largest double strollers.

It's likely that seats will be able to be folded up if necessary. With both seats down, there wouldn't be enough knee room for anyone to sit beside a double stroller or wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter