Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

From https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/applications/urban/
csm_Anwendungen-Urban-35TGD_BUGA_SeilbahnKoblenz-Doppelmayr_02_db8f18124c.jpg

Barrier-free loading and unloading make ropeways a positive experience for wheelchair users as well as passengers with strollers or bicycles. Environmentally friendly and efficient at the same time, ropeway systems provide an impressive answer to present and future traffic problems, and create added value for any city.

I think AoA and Pop are the two most popular Values, which hold quite a lot of people. CBR will have the DVC, so it makes sense. I think adding it to AoA will be a way to take on much more people between the buses and now the supposed gondolas. How many times have you gone to get on the bus only to find it's packed. I know this is a problem at a lot of resorts, but I don't see the value in adding it to the All-Stars (nor would it work as well). The AoA and Pop are definitely the top-tier Values and rival some moderates.
They could charge for an access card from the values. They're charging for the park to park option right now.

It will slow it down yes but loading will be similar to that of a monorail.
Agreed, but the estimate in the thread and the numbers behind it assume 15 second loads. Wheelchairs and ECVs will make that more like 1-2 minutes/load and lower the capacity of each car.

I find this to be an upcoming necessity for this side of the larger resort. Think about what has been announced that is coming in the next 3 to 5 years. We already know that DHS is getting potentially one of the most popular lands in Star Wars, along with Toy Story Land and a new Mickey Ride replacing the GMR. Now add to that the announcement Bob Chapek made, challenging the WDIs to dream big for ideas to overhaul Epcot. With so much planned, along with a new DVC resort, this side of the greater WDW resort will definitely benefit from something like this.

Bring it on!Hope it happens-LOVE it!:)

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportat...gondola-system-about-to-become-a-reality-.htm

Edited to add permit photos and more. Thanks to @DanBoris and others on WDWMagic

Possible Gondola line

View attachment 220395

New structures.

View attachment 220396
View attachment 220398

Area where work will take place at Caribbean Beach.

View attachment 220397

Possible look for a Gondola

View attachment 220399

or this dbl decker... I'll take the top deck....:teeth:
images

At the risk of bringing up old discussion points.... If this new transport system comes to fruition how does this fit with access to AoA and CBR assuming CBR is DVC? It negates the whole special park access for a CBR DVC. At least in this duck's mind.

At the risk of bringing up old discussion points.... If this new transport system comes to fruition how does this fit with access to AoA and CBR assuming CBR is DVC? It negates the whole special park access for a CBR DVC. At least in this duck's mind.
The campground has a boat to MK, just like WL

And, how much LONGER would THAT take?

Park Hop between Epcot IG and DHS in as little as 2 hours?

;)

Click HERE.

I ran the distance, its 3.66 KM on the gondola route, the London Emirates does its 1km route in 5 minutes during rush hour (when they speed it up so it isn't as much a viewing ride). So at that rate, it would take 17 mins ? Faster than a boat or bus probably (Plus the load station pauses of course)

High speed 3 cable gondola run at around 25 km/hr. So a 3.66 km trip would take 9 mins ?

If you were asking :)

Last edited:
Anybody who has been talking about the use of a Funicular isn't thinking logically. They can only have one car per line and they go back and forth on the same line. They aren't designed for high-volume installations like what's needed here. They have advantages for some places but was only one car per line would be very limited in this instance. They would be just as bad as the monorail system.

This is also the case with some types of gondola systems, the only have one car per side of the track system. Obviously whatever type of system Disney installs needs to support a much larger volume of people that they are capable of.

The campground has a boat to MK, just like WL
WL didn't start out as DVC. Removing the boat option from the campground would be a major sore point given the lack of efficient transportation options as it is.

First of all, I think the buses hold more than 40 people. Secondly, they run more frequently near park opening. Are you saying that Disney only transports 120 people to Epcot from CBR the hour for rope drop? Lastly, I think the frequency for the cable car will be longer than 30 seconds. We're talking about people with wheelchairs and strollers. No way will they be able to get in and get settled in only 30 seconds.

Walking down Main Street, it's easy to convince ourselves that ECVs are taking over WDW. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't believe they represent a significant amount of traffic. Using the Disney bus system, my best guess is that we only encounter a scooter MAYBE 15-20% of the time. Long queues of scooters waiting to board a single bus just isn't a common sight.

The FAQ for the London system claims that it only requires 15 seconds to load each cabin. Strollers will be very easy to drive straight on. ECVs may require some additional delay, but there will be long periods of smooth operations with no scooter loading. They may even build in a system to pre-load scooters and then have the car pop onto the track, similar to ride vehicles at Toy Story Mania.

I worry about the lines that will form early in the morning. I also think there will be a mental thing for people waiting for their turn. A 20 minute wait for the bus is more acceptable than a 20 minute wait in a queue watching other people be whisked away.

The London system runs 10-person cars every 15 seconds. That's a maximum hourly capacity of 2400 passengers. For the sake of argument, let's cut that in half and assume 1200 passengers per hour. (Could easily be higher if Disney installs cabins that accommodate more than 10.) 1200 people is about 20-24 bus loads. Even at rope drop, do your experiences suggest that Disney runs 20 buses per hour between a resort like CBR and Epcot/DHS? That would be a bus arriving every 3 minutes.

Even if running at a modest operating speed, I suspect the passenger throughput would be quite impressive. Much better than buses with the long waits between arrivals and stop-and-go pace along Disney roads. Plus all guests would likely be seated comfortably rather than 50% forced to stand.

And it sounds like buses would continue to run as an alternative.

I've always enjoyed skyride style rides and usually ride the one in Busch Gardens Tampa every time I visit,one thing to note is that it does go down pretty frequently due to weather,I wonder if Disney does go forward with this are the cars going to be larger and enclosed and less likely to close due to weather.One skyride that I immediately thought of when I heard this is the one in Ocean Park in Hong Kong,its gotta be one of the longest ones out there and going up those mountains is pretty impressive.I wonder if built could they extend it from AOA/DHS to AK.AK is so far away and you always have that long bus ride to get there,a trip down Osceola Pkwy to get to AK would be awesome.Here's a video of that skyride in Ocean Park Hong Kong.

They do sway in the wind.
Most US states that have several ski resorts have a tramway safety council. Just like any other conveyance, there will be somebody regulating the safety. It comes down to someone maintenance plan. Accidents do happen, but they happen more often in Cars, busses, and airplanes.

Let's make it a thrill ride....run it in a hurricane :joker:

Obviously per car the buses are far higher capacity but if you look at the actual number of riders moved per hour, a cable car may have far higher capacity. Assuming a bus can hold about 40 people? and using Disney's bus every 20 minutes that's about 120 people an hour (on one route). If one gondola can hold about 10 people and it's frequency is every 30 seconds then it's moving 300 people per hour.
A fully loaded Disney bus can hold upwards of 70 Guests.

The Roosevelt Island Aerial Tramway in NY holds up to 110 passengers per cab (according to Wikipedia). That's all standing, except for a few seats at the ends (similar to an airport people mover.) I think those cabins are permanently attached to the cables, and operate in a shuttle mode, which may be different from what Disney has in mind.

What if the spur that goes to AOA is just there as a service spur,, as in there will be a service shop at the spur, not meant for resort guests at all. just a thought.

I could see backlash if they made aoa and pop century cost more money a night bc of added transport option (and they so would) and next thing you know a room at pop costs the same or more than a room at a moderate.

The London system runs 10-person cars every 15 seconds. That's a maximum hourly capacity of 2400 passengers. For the sake of argument, let's cut that in half and assume 1200 passengers per hour. (Could easily be higher if Disney installs cabins that accommodate more than 10.) 1200 people is about 20-24 bus loads. Even at rope drop, do your experiences suggest that Disney runs 20 buses per hour between a resort like CBR and Epcot/DHS? That would be a bus arriving every 3 minutes.

Even if running at a modest operating speed, I suspect the passenger throughput would be quite impressive. Much better than buses with the long waits between arrivals and stop-and-go pace along Disney roads. Plus all guests would likely be seated comfortably rather than 50% forced to stand.
At 70 Guests per bus, 1200 would fit on about 17 buses.

I doubt Disney would design the cabins to seat everyone. They would probably seek to maximize capacity and loading efficiency by minimizing seating and increasing standee space, as they do with buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter