Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I've heard the model they are buying operates up to 35mph wind. I'm assuming there is a factor of safety above that and at 35mph isn't catastrophic, but is the point at which you start pulling people off.

Lightning shouldn't be an issue, as the Gondalas will essentially be a Faraday cage and protect those inside.

Our thunderstorms can have gusts up to 50mph. I see many problem afternoons with the current system. Lots of buses will be needed between 2 and 5pm.

Is any else one concerned about the additional pressure Skyliner will put on the I ternational Gateway entrance at Epcot? This will go from serving 3 resorts (depending on how you count them) to serving 8 (or 9 with the Star Wars). Are there plans to expand the IG entrance to accommodate more than double the number of people who currently use it? Those who stay at Boardwalk and Beach/Yacht are essentially losing the perk of the quiet back entrance to Epcot.

Is any else one concerned about the additional pressure Skyliner will put on the I ternational Gateway entrance at Epcot? This will go from serving 3 resorts (depending on how you count them) to serving 8 (or 9 with the Star Wars). Are there plans to expand the IG entrance to accommodate more than double the number of people who currently use it? Those who stay at Boardwalk and Beach/Yacht are essentially losing the perk of the quiet back entrance to Epcot.

There are actually 7 resorts in the Epcot area, including the YC, BC, BWI, the vacation clubs at BW & BC, Swan & Dolphin. Can't count them as 3 as they are all separate resorts, even if they are connected a bit. Many people have commented on both the amount of people that will be added to the gates as well as the effect of changing the atmosphere of the whole area. There is plenty of room for the entrance to be expanded. Some folks have said that the constant motion of the gondolas will keep the flow even going thru the gates. Unlike a monorail dropping hundreds off at the same time. Opening might be busier. Or not, who knows. If they still run buses to the front of Epcot from those resorts, maybe lots will take a bus, rather than walk all the way thru Epcot. Remains to be seen.

Actually, I am more concerned with the atmosphere of the area. Seeing gondolas over the BW area and right next to the BC will certainly take some getting used to. Right now, the YC is our absolute favorite resort. We love the quiet beauty of the whole area. We vacation there up to 3 times a year. Don't know how the atmosphere will change after the gondolas are up & running but nothing we can do about it. We used to always stay at POR. I can see us dropping back to stay there or FQ if things are too crazy in the Epcot area. So personally, I'm more worried about losing the serene beauty of the whole area than a few minute wait at the IG.

Last edited:
Our thunderstorms can have gusts up to 50mph. I see many problem afternoons with the current system. Lots of buses will be needed between 2 and 5pm.

And here in FL those storms pop up so quickly. Almost out of the blue.

So I can see these gondolas shutting down at a moments notice.

People should have alternative plans in summer months when they plan to use the gondolas.

I think it's being overthought at this point(the storms). Mostly because this is add on transportation. The hope is this will reduce other transport needs, and it will. However, they have the luxury of getting it running, and living with it for a while, and to see how it works in a practical manner. Reducing bus traffic as they deem in necessary. It's not like it's serving a new location, and it's the only transportation available.
Run it and see what burdens it lifts. All but the IG gateway station have a bus station in close proximity.
Heck if they are smart, they park the minnievans at the stations in bulk, when they shut it down for weather and let people skip the hassle by breaking out their wallet.

Yes, but they're also gaining the ability to have a gondola station by their resort.

Videos posted by the manufacturer show wheelchairs and strollers being loaded into a cabin while moving at loading speed. The seat on one end of the cabin folds up.

London's Emirates Airlines website says they can accommodate scooters up to a certain size.

Disney may offer complimentary van service or alternate bus service to ecv users who are uncomfortable driving into the moving cabin or who have a large ecv.

That's called the bus since I doubt that Disney will stop bus service to these resorts for Epcot and Hollywood.

I'm picturing a typical summer day in central Florida.... won't this transportation be down an awful lot due to inclement weather? I can't imagine "hanging" around when the sunny skies can change so quickly. What am I missing???

Rain will be fine. Wind and lightening may or may not be an issue, depending on exactly what system they go with.

So looking at the map, people from POP and AoA will have to go through 2 stations and a turning station. Depending on how they handle the stations this could end up being more annoying than buses, and have a longer on/off time (although probably less wait time).

If the Gondolas from POP and AoA pass through the CBR and DRR stations, you are going to increase the wait times a lot at those more expensive resorts. If the cars don't pass through, guests from POP and AoA will have get off and back on 2 times and CBR 1 time. Those extra people in the line will also add to the wait times.

If they used 10 person gondolas, they could leave empty space at the beginning of line and fill in people as it went down the line. I think this is how Breckenridge does it, but I've never been on that system when it is operating at capacity.

At the of the day, the gondolas end up being more annoying than taking a bus and they massively cut bus service, I don't see them being able to get the premiums people are talking about.

Ski resorts use Gondolas quite a bit. They handle blizzard conditions fairly well. I can't imagine a little rain or a normal ( non hurricane ) Florida wind will have much effect on them.

On a side note Gondolas in ski resorts are commonly known as Ganjalas... I've never been in one that didn't absolutely reak of marijuana.

Ski resorts use Gondolas quite a bit. They handle blizzard conditions fairly well. I can't imagine a little rain or a normal ( non hurricane ) Florida wind will have much effect on them.

On a side note Gondolas in ski resorts are commonly known as Ganjalas... I've never been in one that didn't absolutely reak of marijuana.

Ikr? How do people get down the mountain after that?

Wasn't saying the wind couldn't wouldn't gust over 35mph, just that the average thunderstorm probably wouldn't shut it down, severe ones are different, I'm sure they will be monitoring weather stations in real time and probably put up some new weather stations on property to monitor wind speeds across property. They will have metrics in place to uses science to make the decision and take the human element out of it.

As it's an enclosed structure and it's in Orlando where lighten is common place, I am sure they will close it down in extreme weather; and the cabs will act like a faraday cage (much like cars and Planes) if someone happens to be in them when the weather strikes.

So looking at the map, people from POP and AoA will have to go through 2 stations and a turning station. Depending on how they handle the stations this could end up being more annoying than buses, and have a longer on/off time (although probably less wait time).

If the Gondolas from POP and AoA pass through the CBR and DRR stations, you are going to increase the wait times a lot at those more expensive resorts. If the cars don't pass through, guests from POP and AoA will have get off and back on 2 times and CBR 1 time. Those extra people in the line will also add to the wait times.

If they used 10 person gondolas, they could leave empty space at the beginning of line and fill in people as it went down the line. I think this is how Breckenridge does it, but I've never been on that system when it is operating at capacity.

At the of the day, the gondolas end up being more annoying than taking a bus and they massively cut bus service, I don't see them being able to get the premiums people are talking about.

I agree that it will be interesting to see exactly how they operate - especially with the different branches, etc. like you have outlined - either the people from POP / AoA have to get off a couple of times or they go right through and those at CBR would be a bit annoyed potentially at waiting while those at a "cheaper" resort pass them

I wonder if the system can handle like a zipper merging technique at the station between CBR and POP - where those sent out from DHS, every other one goes to POP and then CBR and then POP and then CBR and then going the other way they would alternate going on the path to DHS. Then the station at CBR become a bit of a hub and those coming from the "south" would have to get off there and change for a dedicated line to EPCOT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter