Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I was going to say that...
I1LOyLq.jpg

From https://www.disboards.com/threads/retro-photos.3520791/

Awesome picture!

I think they might be testing the how the cabins move over the sheaves in the towers. In the 1st 2 videos, there was a maintenance gondola parked by a tower, and in the DIS video, they ran the cable just long enough for the passenger gondola to clear the tower. It did seem to move over the sheaves quite smoothly and quietly compared to some YouTubes I've seen of other systems.

It did seem to move over the sheaves quite smoothly and quietly compared to some YouTubes I've seen of other systems.
Any gondola system I've ever seen is extremely smooth when going over the sheaves when they are unloaded which I'm assuming these are. They are actually quite smooth when fully loaded but I do have a slight jumping action at the crossover them. I wouldn't expect any rumblings generated by the sheaves to be very noticeable when the system is fully operational.

Any gondola system I've ever seen is extremely smooth when going over the sheaves when they are unloaded which I'm assuming these are. They are actually quite smooth when fully loaded but I do have a slight jumping action at the crossover them. I wouldn't expect any rumblings generated by the sheaves to be very noticeable when the system is fully operational.
I was thinking of something like this. But honestly I don't know whether all that clatter would be audible at the tower base. There seems to be noticeable shaking, too.

Curious if this has been discussed earlier in the thread: I love the gondola idea and cannot wait for it to open but I am alone in my Disney circle. Everyone in both my immediate and extended family (that goes to Disney) is already refusing to use the gondolas because of fear - especially fear of heights. "No way I am getting on one of those." Are they the statistical outlier or is this a common concern?
I'm terrified of heights, it's the #1phobia in the country. I won't be going near those things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter