Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

According to the above video, the doorway is 800mm, which is just about 31.5".
The door opening is 820mm, which is 32.28". 800mm was the width of the pallet they used to demonstrate the door width.

This makes it ADA compliant, as the minimum ADA door opening is 32". Most scooters are less than 26" wide.
upload_2019-2-27_12-45-18.png

Also want to point out that we're expecting the cabins to be fully stopped for loading ecv's, which would give the occupant the time they need to maneuver in and out, with the assistance of a cm.

Last edited:
Also want to point out that we're expecting the cabins to be fully stopped for loading ecv's, which would give the occupant the time they need to maneuver in and out, with the assistance of a cm.
So how will the cabin spacing be consistent if you pull some cabins off the line?

So how will the cabin spacing be consistent if you pull some cabins off the line?
This is purely a guess but I would think as they introduce one of the pulled off cabins back into the line, those behind it are released at the normal interval. It should only make a difference of seconds.

OK, now those in the know...please tell us how it will really work. :D

I believe that is unknown at this time, as there is no existing gondola lift anywhere that uses this arrangement.

One possibility is that, when a cabin is ready to depart from the special loading area, an arriving cabin will be switched into the area to make a hole. That would require tracking which arriving cabins need to go into the area for unloading. If a cabin that needs to unload in the special area is within a few minutes of arriving, they might hold a cabin ready to leave the area until the incoming cabin arrives.

Another possibility is that cabins will be routed into the secondary area at a set interval, with the interval set high enough to allow time for unloading and loading, For example, every 20th cabin goes into the area whether it's needed there or not, and a cabin from the area goes back online at the same time. In this scenario, certain cabins would be designated to always go into the area, so there would be no need to track which cabins have scooters to unload.

This is purely a guess but I would think as they introduce one of the pulled off cabins back into the line, those behind it are released at the normal interval. It should only make a difference of seconds.

OK, now those in the know...please tell us how it will really work. :D
I just watched a video posted yesterday of the cabins coming into the station. They come in fast then slow way down. The next cabin comes in fast then slows down and comes within a foot or so of the previous cabin. All the cabins are close together while they are in the station. Also, I didn't see anywhere they could pull a cabin off the line.

I just watched a video posted yesterday of the cabins coming into the station. They come in fast then slow way down. The next cabin comes in fast then slows down and comes within a foot or so of the previous cabin. All the cabins are close together while they are in the station. Also, I didn't see anywhere they could pull a cabin off the line.
They wouldn't be pulled off at DHS only at CBR. Each station has a second load for slow loading such as ECVs and wheelchairs.

If the person taking the video had panned a bit further to the left when looking at the cabins in the station, you would have seen the secondary area for ecv loading.

They wouldn't be pulled off at DHS only at CBR. Each station has a second load for slow loading such as ECVs and wheelchairs.
Are you saying that ECV's and wheelchairs will be getting out of the cabins at DHS when the cabins are moving?

Are you saying that ECV's and wheelchairs will be getting out of the cabins at DHS when the cabins are moving?
There is a second load and unload for ECVs. There are several photos and videos that show this.

My apologies, I'm new to potentially staying onsite (we've done 1 trip to WDW and stayed offsite) I was just looking at a booking for mid-may, and it lists the skyliner as one of the modes of transportation available to Pop, however, reading on here, it isn't scheduled to actually start running till fall still, correct?

Good article and construction photos here. In most of the video so far the cabins are reversing in the “first” turnaround. Current thinking is the second turnaround will be for stationary load/unload.
This is what you are referring to? The second curve on the right end of the system? For that to work, there needs to be a curved "slot" or void in the floor so the cabin can be flush with the floor as it makes its way around to the end curve. Not sure how all this will work. That also means people have to get in and out of the cabins on the straight sections of the station
DcY4S9XU8AESnB3.jpg

This image (taken from this blogmickey.com video:
) shows the 2 areas inside the DHS station.

Gondolas in DHS station.jpg

I believe the gondola furthest to the left is on the track that will allow gondolas to come to a complete stop to allow easier entrance/exit for those on ECVs.

This is what you are referring to? The second curve on the right end of the system? For that to work, there needs to be a curved "slot" or void in the floor so the cabin can be flush with the floor as it makes its way around to the end curve. Not sure how all this will work. That also means people have to get in and out of the cabins on the straight sections of the station
DcY4S9XU8AESnB3.jpg
Yes that second curve is a second unload/load. They will be flush.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter