Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Remember that these aren't being built really for speedy transport - in my opinion, they're being provided for speedy loading, unloading.

The benefit of this system is the additional capacity it will provide for the transport system in general - freeing up more monorails, buses, minnievans, as an additional option is available.

Not an ECV expert, but I'm guessing one reason for strapping down an ECV in a bus is so, if the bus collides with something, a "loose" ECV doesn't strike or fall on other passengers.
Wasn't there a recent accident where an unsecured ECV caused some injuries?

Wasn't there a recent accident where an unsecured ECV caused some injuries?

I believe you may be thinking about the monorail incident when the monorail was stopped at the Grand Floridian. If I recall correctly, the issue was during the loading process and not while the monorail was in motion.

What I think... if the Skyliner is open at during the time that Galaxy’s Edge opens it will be faster (at least for awhile) because of the amount of traffic

I know, there better be zero lines waiting or transferring, or I will be VERY disappointed! And it should not take 5-10 minutes to tranfer, for heaven's sake. The gondola station at CBR isn't even that big based on videos on youtube. I should absolutely be able to jump out of one and jump into another one in under 30 seconds. My plan will be shot if there is a line.

During park opening/closing, however, they is more likelihood of having a line. Then the gondola just might take longer than the bus. It would still be very neat, though.
Not sure what videos you are watching but the station is pretty big. I also don’t see you going from one gondola to the next in under 30 seconds. Think of this like transferring monorails at the TTC but it is constantly loading.

I got to thinking. I believe Disney will not allow ECVs because they are too heavy and need to be strapped in inside a moving vehicle, for safety's sake.

Look at this inside:
View attachment 397649

There's nothing to strap in the ECV. Disney must be planning to ban ECV on the gondola this whole time.

I could be reading too much into this and Disney is considering ECVs to be wheelchairs and doesn't care if it isn't strapped in as long as it is in park.

If, however, ECVs are banned on the gondola, then Disney will have to continue to run buses.
You are incorrect in this thinking.

There's no way they don't allow ECVs.

I'm really excited to see this in use, even though I'm not sure I'll ever be staying at one of the Skyliner resorts in the future. But I think it's quite cool. And while I had OK luck at CBR with the buses, there were a few return times in the mid-afternoon at Epcot and DHS where we waited over 35 minutes for a bus, while we watched 4 or 5 come by for Pop and AoA. Would have been nice to just walk onto a gondola.

Not sure what videos you are watching but the station is pretty big. I also don’t see you going from one gondola to the next in under 30 seconds. Think of this like transferring monorails at the TTC but it is constantly loading.

Also, minus the long walk down a ramp and then back up a ramp - like at the TTC...

yeah, layout wise it is sort of like the TTC in changing lines, but should be a much shorter and easier walk from one line to the other as you don't have to go down and back up the long/winding ramps

I saw online this morning that Test and Adjust is about to begin on the Skyliner! I would guess that means they're close to doing test rides with the T&A team.

I check in on this thread every now and then and skimmed the last few pages to see if this was posted already, so apologies if this is old news. I'm a former CM so the info came from someone who is on the T&A team.

Yes. Definitely bus wait times can and do go up by a few minutes here and there quite frequently. I just see the potential for buses to be faster from Pop to Epcot, with the prediction of 17 minutes by gondola and roughly 12 or 13 minutes by bus, once the bus is moving.

Even so it depends on where in EP you want to be. In the Front or in WS? You got a ~15 minute walk to WS from the EP Pop stop. Heck you've likely got a 3 minute walk to security from the Pop's stop at EP.

I got to thinking. I believe Disney will not allow ECVs because they are too heavy and need to be strapped in inside a moving vehicle, for safety's sake.

There's nothing to strap in the ECV. Disney must be planning to ban ECV on the gondola this whole time.

I could be reading too much into this and Disney is considering ECVs to be wheelchairs and doesn't care if it isn't strapped in as long as it is in park.

If, however, ECVs are banned on the gondola, then Disney will have to continue to run buses.

To meet ADA on new construction banning them isn't going happen. There will be a separate loop where cabins detached from the haul rope will go to come to a complete stop for ECVs, wheelchair users, and other mobility limited guests.

I saw online this morning that Test and Adjust is about to begin on the Skyliner! I would guess that means they're close to doing test rides with the T&A team.

I check in on this thread every now and then and skimmed the last few pages to see if this was posted already, so apologies if this is old news. I'm a former CM so the info came from someone who is on the T&A team.

Thanks for sharing - I don't recall anything being mentioned specifically about T&A (um, feels like they should come up with a different name) testing going on ... though I believe last week or the one before there were reports of testing with people inside happening on the DHS line - not sure if that was the same thing as this or something else

Even so it depends on where in EP you want to be. In the Front or in WS? You got a ~15 minute walk to WS from the EP Pop stop. Heck you've likely got a 3 minute walk to security from the Pop's stop at EP.
Yep. As I mentioned earlier, lots of variables come into play. But if your timing is right and you’re heading to Spaceship Earth, the bus could be faster.

Remember that these aren't being built really for speedy transport - in my opinion, they're being provided for speedy loading, unloading.

And "speed" (of transport/loading/unloading) doesn't really show up on Disney's promotion of the Skyliner.

I'm more interested in the attraction part of this, than the speed, even though I think speed/efficiency will also be amazing.

"We believe that getting around the Disney resort should be a uniquely magical experience," Chapek said. "Riding the Disney Skyliner system will provide guests a whole new way to experience Walt Disney World, with unique vistas only available from the sky."

An Innovative Twist on Flight

Beginning in fall 2019, Guests can discover Disney Skyliner, an incredible new way to travel around Walt Disney World Resort!

Glide above the treetops and add an extra dash of pixie dust to your day. This grand, state-of-the-art gondola system will conveniently connect Disney’s Hollywood Studios and International Gateway at Epcot to the following Resort hotels: Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Riviera Resort.

Guests will be able to enjoy easy access to Disney’s BoardWalk entertainment district and a fun way to travel between Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Plus, the Disney Skyliner provides a relaxing trip to dining locations across Disney Resort hotels—including Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s BoardWalk Inn.

Some of the gondolas are adorned with iconic Disney Characters, figures from Disney attractions and film favorites, which makes getting around even more magical as Guests enjoy breathtaking vistas over and between each of these enchanting locations!

Plus the rest of the gondolas are not effected even if they did load as slow. So nobody else will be waiting, like in a bus.

Some people say that the ECVs require special gondola loading, but I don't see why. They can just be parked at a marked spot on the moving platform before general loading area, then drive on as soon as the gondola door opens, while everybody else can go in the gondolas before or after them. In that way, they load just like anybody else.

Same result in either case. Nobody is affected by an ECV load on the gondola, but they are on a bus.

However I have video on here showing that the secondary load will be almost as fast for someone waiting in a EVC. Why risk it.

Last edited:
ECVs will load in the gondolas just fine. The London gondola system, which is similar to Disney's and built by the same company, says this:

"The Emirates Air Line has step-free access, and is accessible to most wheelchairs including motorised wheelchairs
and mobility scooters." https://www.emiratesairline.co.uk/faqs/

If they can do it, so can Disney!

ECVs will load in the gondolas just fine. The London gondola system, which is similar to Disney's and built by the same company, says this:

"The Emirates Air Line has step-free access, and is accessible to most wheelchairs including motorised wheelchairs

Then why did you say earlier that Disney wouldn't have ECVs in them?

That doesn't appear to show the same "extra" loop that Disney installed.

The 2nd loop completely stops without slowing the rest down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter