• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I really wonder if Disney just over claims costs to help justify their prices. If they include a ton of burden on their cost estimates that others wouldn't include. Or if they really do massively over pay for everything.

I'm guessing it is a lot of the second one and also cost numbers always go up as they are verbally told to new people. I seen many times were the cost number you hear all the time at work are 3-5x the real number.

It's probably a lot of things but Disney does do a lot of research and sending people to the field and I would suspect they have a high "corporate cost charge" that gets applied to everything

You'd also need to factor in the cost saving from not having to run all the buses. Of course, I have no idea what the cost of running a bus is for Disney. But, I'm certain Disney's bean counters calculated that amount into the overall cost of the gondolas.
Disney reportedly has an internal carbon tax that they charge all their divisions. Besides removing the cost of physically running some buses, this could also help whatever division Disney transportation falls under to cut their carbon tax bill.

It's probably a lot of things but Disney does do a lot of research and sending people to the field and I would suspect they have a high "corporate cost charge" that gets applied to everything
Yeah, that is what I thinking with the burden comment. Basically everyone internal to Disney charges their time to and that gets rolled into the cost. I have a feeling they also include a cost of the land, etc. But then everyone says the number like that is how much they paid for just the equipment.

It's like my company claims they subsidize every cafeteria at the company (of which there are many), when in reality they actually get a decent return from the cafeterias. But the company says every square foot of building space is worth $X/yr and after you calculate the cost of space and the time of the employees managing the contract food vendors they "lose" money.

Yeah, that is what I thinking with the burden comment. Basically everyone internal to Disney charges their time to and that gets rolled into the cost. I have a feeling they also include a cost of the land, etc. But then everyone says the number like that is how much they paid for just the equipment.

It's like my company claims they subsidize every cafeteria at the company (of which there are many), when in reality they actually get a decent return from the cafeterias. But the company says every square foot of building space is worth $X/yr and after you calculate the cost of space and the time of the employees managing the contract food vendors they "lose" money.
The number is for the entire project. There’s no way they paid that much for just equipment. Part of the reason it’s so much larger than the Big Sky numbers I cited is due to those already having the land prepped for a lift (they were both lift replacements). The other big factor being that Disney is putting in 5 segments, instead of 1. But even factoring in the entire project, it’s still far above what most ski resorts pay, most can barely afford a few million.

Yes, this is why the original plan was to completely eliminate buses on these routes, it was part of the cost justification for the system.

I didn't know the original plan was to completely eliminate the buses on these routes. This makes me wonder how they would have handled the guest transportation when the gondolas would be closed due to inclement weather, etc.

I didn't know the original plan was to completely eliminate the buses on these routes. This makes me wonder how they would have handled the guest transportation when the gondolas would be closed due to inclement weather, etc.
Probably the same way they do for other routes that don’t have regular bus service.

Probably the same way they do for other routes that don’t have regular bus service.
I think the biggest problem with that is inclement weather would not only effect the current resorts but then it will add on 3 very large resorts plus the Rivera when it's done..that's a huge amount of buses needed at basically the same time.

I think the biggest problem with that is inclement weather would not only effect the current resorts but then it will add on 3 very large resorts plus the Rivera when it's done..that's a huge amount of buses needed at basically the same time.

That is a really good point.

This is now leading me into a resource limitation question/concern. Will/does WDW have additional buses "on standby", with the drivers, during projected days where inclement weather is predicted? If so, is that really a large cost savings (I know it would for some of the times they aren't running)?

Perhaps they merely shift the running bus fleet towards those resorts effected by the gondolas being down.

That is a really good point.

This is now leading me into a resource limitation question/concern. Will/does WDW have additional buses "on standby", with the drivers, during projected days where inclement weather is predicted? If so, is that really a large cost savings (I know it would for some of the times they aren't running)?

Perhaps they merely shift the running bus fleet towards those resorts effected by the gondolas being down.

There was an explanation of this somewhere up thread. WDW doesn't have bus drivers sitting around waiting just in case. Off shift drivers can make themselves available for a "call in" if needed and provided they haven't driven their limit. However, the time lag between a supervisor calling them in and getting them rolling in a bus is usually at least an hour, possibly more. So for the typical afternoon showers it becomes a re-allocation of buses from other routes to routes that are served by shut down transport, not an influx of new drivers coming on shift. That's why the bus lines generally get longer. Now if the storm lasts, or a few drivers do get called in and join on, that delay gets knocked down by having more hands available, but the lag is significant.

It’s a big increase that’s why I’m concerned for the International Gateway as well. They’re going from the ~4400 rooms around the Boardwalk and adding nearly 7000 from all the Skyliner resorts. But I’m sure they have a plan in place for it, Disney doesn’t want you stuck somewhere that you can’t spend money.

Their current system has worked great for inclement weather for the Boardwalk area. I believe that it’s mostly rerouting buses from elsewhere. It could be part of why buses may only be reduced and not eliminated entirely for those routes.

I still have my mickey bar bet that there will be no change in the frequency and numbers of buses they have now...on a normal day :). Yes mid day has fewer buses, but the rest should stay as is.
So far there has been nothing but rumors and speculation about reducing buses ..nothing official from WDW except adding the Skyliner to the modes of transportation on MDE along with the buses.
When the Skyliner starts running it will take a lot of the load demand off the buses. They will load and unload a lot quicker and not be packed in like they do which takes extra time as they wait for more people to walk up, so they leave quicker and the time for the route will be a lot quicker.
At peak times they normally call extra buses from wherever to get the crowds to or from the parks/resorts. The Skyliner will reduce the passengers for the buses and make them way more efficient where they won't need more buses "at peak times" ....except during the storms.

Last edited:
I still have my mickey bar bet that there will be no change in the frequency and numbers of buses they have now...on a normal day :). Yes mid day has fewer buses, but the rest should stay as is.
So far there has been nothing but rumors and speculation about reducing buses ..nothing official from WDW except adding the Skyliner to the modes of transportation on MDE along with the buses.
When the Skyliner starts running it will take a lot of the load demand off the buses. They will load and unload a lot quicker and not be packed in like they do which takes extra time as they wait for more people to walk up, so they leave quicker and the time for the route will be a lot quicker.
At peak times they normally call extra buses from wherever to get the crowds to or from the parks/resorts. The Skyliner will reduce the passengers for the buses and make them way more efficient where they won't need more buses "at peak times" ....except during the storms.
I seriously doubt Disney will ever officially anounce a reduction in bus service, unless it is to say routes are being combined.

One would think the logical route would be run the buses as normal. When the skyliner is operational, evaluate it's effect on bus needs and adjust accordingly. That will lead to a reduction in bus traffic overall, but perhaps not during all times of the day. For the initial operating period you will have a few other things that will increase transportation demand(star wars for one).
No doubt, the hope is to reduce bus traffic, but it will not replace it entirely.

Any idea if this will be open for the first week of August or is that wishful thinking?

I'm hoping for Skyliner to start by 8/2, but there are only rumors and speculation as far as I know. One of my colleagues just got back from a WDW vacation last week and said that he talked to CMs about the Skyliner and they said it would be running for guests within a few weeks. He thought I'd be able to ride when I'm there on 8/2. I'm doubtful, but it would be very cool.

I seriously doubt Disney will ever officially anounce a reduction in bus service, unless it is to say routes are being combined.
I guess we can agree to disagree but...this is their official policy for buses from MDE
Walt Disney World® Bus Service

Relax and enjoy the ride with complimentary, air-conditioned bus service throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

Let Us Do the Driving
Save time, money and the hassle of driving and parking. Almost anywhere you want to go at Walt Disney World Resort is conveniently accessible by our buses, which operate at approximately 20-minute intervals.

I guess we can agree to disagree but...this is there official policy for buses from MDE

Relax and enjoy the ride with complimentary, air-conditioned bus service throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

Let Us Do the Driving
Save time, money and the hassle of driving and parking. Almost anywhere you want to go at Walt Disney World Resort is conveniently accessible by our buses, which operate at approximately 20-minute intervals.
Except, the MK area resorts and MK, Monorail resorts and EP, IG area resorts with EP and DHS... Do they run buses between DS and the resorts that have boat access? Until very recently you also couldn't take a bus directly to the water parks, either.

Was there an official announcement when they killed bus service to the water parks?

I guess we can agree to disagree but...this is their official policy for buses from MDE

Let Us Do the Driving

That doesn’t really say anything. Almost anywhere means not everywhere, there are plenty of routes with no transportation, and many with something other than a bus. And most people will tell you, they’ve waited more than 20 minutes for a bus (approximately gives them a nice big window). It’s nothing more than a marketing statement.

Let Us Do the Driving
You forgot to bold the approximately part. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter