Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I might be a little biased since I'll be there this week but...I really don't see any need for a large scale test with CM's.
It will be a similar load as a Omnimover "people mover" and I'm not sure they want to pay a bunch of CM's to make a large crowd for testing.
I'm sure it has been signed off for safety so just load us up and we'll see how it works..:)

I might be a little biased since I'll be there this week but...I really don't see any need for a large scale test with CM's.
It will be a similar load as a Omnimover "people mover" and I'm not sure they want to pay a bunch of CM's to make a large crowd for testing.
I'm sure it has been signed off for safety so just load us up and we'll see how it works..:)

Well, I would think they would need to do some training with CMs for how to load and how to do whatever needs to be done related to the second loop loading and safety testing, etc. No idea how long that will take but some training with actual people and on site will be needed

Well, I would think they would need to do some training with CMs for how to load and how to do whatever needs to be done related to the second loop loading and safety testing, etc. No idea how long that will take but some training with actual people and on site will be needed
Industry standard is a single 8 hour day for training. So a couple weeks for Disney.

You would think a full weight load on the cables would have to be safety tested before they'd open to the public.

You would think a full weight load on the cables would have to be safety tested before they'd open to the public.
As others have mentioned, you don't load test with humans.

The first flight full of people on a new airplane, is when customers have paid for the seats. Up until that point they fly pretty empty.

I really don't see Disney paying hundreds of extras to come out to do a full scale operational test. That's what soft openings are for.

Is there an “extra” loop area at each station to load scooters and wheel chairs, etc?

Feeding those stopped gondolas back in will probably take some training time and require a bunch of CMs to get the real flow of the loading/unloading of the gondolas.

I’m def hoping for large scale CM testing this week. But I’d be surprised if they starting letting visitors on before mid Sept.

Here’s hoping!!

Maybe they could post a CM to have waiver forms to sign if you want to ride at your our risk. I know I’d sign one.

Is there an “extra” loop area at each station to load scooters and wheel chairs, etc?

Feeding those stopped gondolas back in will probably take some training time and require a bunch of CMs to get the real flow of the loading/unloading of the gondolas.

I’m def hoping for large scale CM testing this week. But I’d be surprised if they starting letting visitors on before mid Sept.

Here’s hoping!!

Maybe they could post a CM to have waiver forms to sign if you want to ride at your our risk. I know I’d sign one.
All except Riviera.

Yeah, and why I think a lot of us are super interested to see how it works for Riviera - in general (how empty gondolas get there) and specifically for scooters, etc. I think we can sort of picture possibilities but seeing in practice will be interesting

I can't wait to experience the gondolas next year! We never use the buses because my friend is in a scooter (Well, my son and I jumped on one last trip while waiting for my friend to get ready, just to try it out. We were literally the only ones on the bus at that time of day. It was pretty cool) and always drive to the parks. I'm excited to have another option for two parks.

I'm pretty confident that'll all be handled by the computers. The cm probably just pushes a button to tell the computer that the cabin is ready to go.
I’m guessing it is pre-programmed into the computer that every ‘x’ number of gondolas, 1 goes into the secondary loading area. This makes the most sense as those gondolas could have one of the benches up to save raising and lowering. The same gondolas would go in at each station so no need to manually track which ones have ECVs, etc.

We have seen in videos how 3 gondolas can be in the secondary location at one time. As one goes in to be unloaded and reloaded, another one leaves and fills the gap that it left.

My personal belief is that some of these may fly empty if they are not needed to transport guests when it is time for one to fill the gap of one that just entered a station.

I’m guessing it is pre-programmed into the computer that every ‘x’ number of gondolas, 1 goes into the secondary loading area. This makes the most sense as those gondolas could have one of the benches up to save raising and lowering. The same gondolas would go in at each station so no need to manually track which ones have ECVs, etc.

We have seen in videos how 3 gondolas can be in the secondary location at one time. As one goes in to be unloaded and reloaded, another one leaves and fills the gap that it left.

My personal belief is that some of these may fly empty if they are not needed to transport guests when it is time for one to fill the gap of one that just entered a station.
That sounds reasonable in theory but my concern would be, if it’s totally automated, a guest could be in the middle of loading and the automatic gondola dispatch would send the gondola out prematurely, which could cause injuries. I also wonder if lines would be created if only a few gondolas could take mobility devices instead of having the ability to use any gondola. It would be interesting to watch some testing of the second loop in action to get an idea of how it will be done. Anything is possible right now.

That sounds reasonable in theory but my concern would be, if it’s totally automated, a guest could be in the middle of loading and the automatic gondola dispatch would send the gondola out prematurely, which could cause injuries. I also wonder if lines would be created if only a few gondolas could take mobility devices instead of having the ability to use any gondola. It would be interesting to watch some testing of the second loop in action to get an idea of how it will be done. Anything is possible right now.
Agree. “Restocking” the secondary loop may be somewhat automated - the system sends an empty cabin there as needed. But I’m thinking, human intervention - a button or whatever is the only way to dispatch a secondary loop cabin, and only after the CM is confident it is ready.

There would be no need for that if the unoccupied cabins could be dispatched from the platform with the doors open, as they pass thru the main boarding area after leaving the secondary boarding area, and could be loaded there from the regular queue.

I envision 2 buttons at the wc loading area: 1 that the the cm pushes when they start loading, to hold the cabin in place, and a 2nd to release the cabin when loading is complete. If the load button is never pushed for a cabin, it could proceed to the main loading area with doors open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter