• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I saw this in several videos online. If not for ADA, then why was this happening? Not a big deal, just curious...
I think we need to keep in mind this is still previews - could still be part of testing, etc.. Let's see how often (if at all) it stops once fully open
Could just be as simple as still doing OTJ training for every circumstance with all the CM"s. I am sure what was taught before is a little different when people are involved.

As TheMaxRebo said, this is still the Preview window. If I remember correctly, any cast member located on the loading platform in any station has direct ability to stop the line at any point, for any reason. I see this as being overly cautious in order to maintain maximum guest safety while they work through functionality and process kinks. Maybe there's a "safe entry window" for guests to enter a cabin and CMs were instructed to stop the line if anybody gets within 10 ft of the fail safe point, instead of letting it run right up to the boundary. Or maybe something mechanical needs fine tuning as they are finally dealing with "real world" scenarios like weight (im)balance issues due to seating arrangements instead of weight test dummies optimally located for testing. Please note, I'm just just spitballing here, I have no inside knowledge, its all speculation.

As TheMaxRebo said, this is still the Preview window. If I remember correctly, any cast member located on the loading platform in any station has direct ability to stop the line at any point, for any reason. I see this as being overly cautious in order to maintain maximum guest safety while they work through functionality and process kinks. Maybe there's a "safe entry window" for guests to enter a cabin and CMs were instructed to stop the line if anybody gets within 10 ft of the fail safe point, instead of letting it run right up to the boundary. Or maybe something mechanical needs fine tuning as they are finally dealing with "real world" scenarios like weight (im)balance issues due to seating arrangements instead of weight test dummies optimally located for testing. Please note, I'm just just spitballing here, I have no inside knowledge, its all speculation.
Or just normal training. See that big red button? Yeah go ahead, push it. Know where it is, know how it works.

The Skyliner ROCKS.

We had the chance to ride it this past Tuesday on the opening cast preview day and LOVED every second of it.

The units are breezy, super quiet, and allow for a more intimate experience than the buses. We took our daughter on in her stroller and walked right onto the unit with no issues. The gondolas line up exactly to the edge, so there is zero gap and no need for worry getting on. The CM's do have control over the units, and can slow them down to a near stop if needed.

We rode from HS > POP (5 minutes), POP >Epcot/Epcot > POP (18 minutes each leg, with transfer) and walked right to our room (Building 4, rooms 4626 - perfect location for access to the Skyliner!). The units moved super quickly and are basically a ride in of itself. In retrospect, I could have only taken my 5-year-old on them and she would declare it was the best ride there.

The only issue we saw right now is kids wanting to hold out for a specific character decal as they are all different and there is no way to choose (we got the cart IN FRONT of Elsa, so it was a long 18 minutes! hahah). The non-character ones actually offer a better view because they aren't coated in vinyl and offer clear glass.

Here's a few videos, too!

Last edited:
Or just normal training. See that big red button? Yeah go ahead, push it. Know where it is, know how it works.
Probably a few staged incidents by some CMs parading around and standing in line and getting on board the gondolas to ride back and forth repeatedly while other CMs working the stations are supposed to observe and be attentive and yet others take videos. Then at the end of the day everyone gets together and they discuss whether the system stop button was pressed appropriately.

Sometimes the system stop should occur automatically. If too many gondolas clump together at some location because one gondola was stopped unexpectedly long somewhere in the station, the main cable loop of the system has to stop before gondolas collide.

Speaking of clumps, at least one video shows several gondolas in a clump moving slowly through a station. If a clump is maintained at intermediate station Riviera, each gondola in the clump imposes an additional 10 second delay to all riders coming through on the way to Epcot or on the way to Caribbean Beach. But the advantage of a clump before the boarding area is that, if a gondola is stopped in an alighting area behind for someone needing more time to get off then the clump can continue to release gondolas at 10 second intervals (until the clump is depleted). Whereas with no clump, if a gondola is stopped then the main cable will run empty possibly for more than 30 seconds before the stopped gondola comes forward and departs. A clump could be re-formed by CMs adjusting the departure headway of subsequent gondolas to prevent too-close spacing on the main cable.

Last edited:
The Skyliner ROCKS.

We had the chance to ride it this past Tuesday on the opening cast preview day and LOVED every second of it.

The units are breezy, super quiet, and allow for a more intimate experience than the buses. We took our daughter on in her stroller and walked right onto the unit with no issues. The gondolas line up exactly to the edge, so there is zero gap and no need for worry getting on. The CM's do have control over the units, and can slow them down to a near stop if needed.

We rode from HS > POP (5 minutes), POP > CB>Epcot/Epcot > CB>POP (18 minutes each leg, with transfer) and walked right to our room (Building 4, rooms 4626 - highly highly recommended for access to the Skyliner!). The units moved super quickly and are basically a ride in of itself. In retrospect, I could have only taken my 5-year-old on them and she would declare it was the best ride there.

The only issue we saw right now is kids wanting to hold out for a specific character decal as they are all different and there is no way to choose (we got the cart IN FRONT of Elsa, so it was a long 18 minutes! hahah). The non-character ones actually offer a better view because they aren't coated in vinyl and offer clear glass.

Here's a few videos, too!

Pop to Epcot is one of the longest routes, right? That and DHS to Epcot? 18 minutes with transfer is awesome!

2 Quick Questions
1. Does the skylift drop you off outside the entrance gate or inside the park?
2. If I chicken out half way through, is their a bus from Caribbean to the parks?

2 Quick Questions
2. If I chicken out half way through, is their a bus from Caribbean to the parks?
Blimey. Just watched Craig’s video. Forget the mode of transport if I have to listen to that announcement every couple of minutes I’ll jump out!

2 Quick Questions
1. Outside the park. You will go through security and tap your band after exiting the Skyliner.
2. There is a bus stop outside the Skyliner station. I'm unsure if it will offer buses to the parks or, if it's an internal CB bus where you may need to take a bus to a main station within the resort and transfer.

We'll know more in just 3 days!!! :D

2 Quick Questions

Outside of the entrance gate at HS, at the International Gateway in Epcot.

You could unload at CB and head to the bus stop.

Blimey. Just watched Craig’s video. Forget the mode of transport if I have to listen to that announcement every couple of minutes I’ll jump out!
Just from watching the videos the announcement were irritating. The womens voice was tolerable for some reason the chime was the worst. I hope they take the chime out. LOL I decided from watching the the video I wouldn't take the skyliner to Epcot. I don't think I could take another 4-5 minutes of it.

Just from watching the videos the announcement were irritating. The womens voice was tolerable for some reason the chime was the worst. I hope they take the chime out. LOL I decided from watching the the video I wouldn't take the skyliner to Epcot. I don't think I could take another 4-5 minutes of it.
Yeah, not my favorite bit but if it's the chime/voice or an extra half hour waiting for and then being crammed into a bus I expect I'll get used to it.

I would expect the following bus service at Caribbean Beach resort during normal Skyliner operation:

CBR all stops - Magic Kingdom
CBR all stops, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach
CBR internal -- All stops (including Skyliner)
CBR Port Royale only, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Riviera, Epcot -- shared bus
CBR Port Royale only, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Riviera, Hollywood Studios -- shared bus
CBR all stops, Disney Springs, Typhoon Lagoon

Last edited:
To be honest pretty much Lyft (no pun intended) everywhere these days. No point hanging around (Doh...again no pun intended). Around $10 anywhere on property. Same price as one beer. But that’s a whole new topic....cost!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter