Disney Stock News & Earnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suspect the RCID cost is pretty lean given that there was that recent dispute with the RC fire fighters around adequate staffing and pay (don't recall all the details so I may have that wrong).

I think one thing is for sure - it will cost more under county control, especially given that there will be forced redundancies with the two counties doing the same things.

Which is why your "New RCID" suggestion might happen.

I would suspect the RCID cost is pretty lean given that there was that recent dispute with the RC fire fighters around adequate staffing and pay (don't recall all the details so I may have that wrong).

I think one thing is for sure - it will cost more under county control, especially given that there will be forced redundancies with the two counties doing the same things.
I am not even going to pretend to be well versed in this, but it seems like RCID was/ is beneficial to both parties. Disney gets special privileges on their property to help avoid all the red tape, and Floridians avoid the costs associated with the infrastructure Disney is covering. So i agree that a compromise looking pretty similar to what is in place is on the table

I am not even going to pretend to be well versed in this, but it seems like RCID was/ is beneficial to both parties. Disney gets special privileges on their property to help avoid all the red tape, and Floridians avoid the costs associated with the infrastructure Disney is covering. So i agree that a compromise looking pretty similar to what is in place is on the table

Even now Disney has to do permitting through the State Environmental Agency, as well as each of the local building departments.

But would Orange County approved the roadway changes that Disney made at MK Entrance and Osceola Pkwy?

Disney has followed the Joe Potter plan to control water flow around the resort... and thus keep down the mosquito population. Would Orange county follow those guidelines going forward? My local county would rather spray for mosquito than to actually plan to prevent them.

I don't know what DVC members pay for Water and Sewage right now... but if that runs through a government agency???

By then it might be too late.

It's unfortunate what's happening to Disney but there is many other parks out there.
That's the thing...Right there.
I grew up watching the Mouseketeers in B & W. The magic of Disney came alive with DL but we could not go to that other coast $$$). Then watching WDW being built on Sunday nites & every film & all of that magic...Well, it's never been about going to a park for us. Boardwalk & GA 15 min away...Kings Dominion & Busch Gardens....meh....
It's all about the Mouse for us & especially ME.

Even now Disney has to do permitting through the State Environmental Agency, as well as each of the local building departments.

But would Orange County approved the roadway changes that Disney made at MK Entrance and Osceola Pkwy?

Disney has followed the Joe Potter plan to control water flow around the resort... and thus keep down the mosquito population. Would Orange county follow those guidelines going forward? My local county would rather spray for mosquito than to actually plan to prevent them.

I don't know what DVC members pay for Water and Sewage right now... but if that runs through a government agency???
those could be potential issues, but I can't see local governments going toe to toe with a heavyweight like Disney, Disney has great lawyers who I'm sure could litigate very well on their behalf. it wouldn't be like Harry homeowner trying to add an addition to his house

I just read somewhere that the threat to dissolve RCID is just political theater and there will be no impact (The Street magazine?) -- according to the street article, disney will save $150m a year that it doesn't have to pay RCID, and the country will have to cover that, plus take on the $1-2 billion in debt.

Here is the quote:
"If Florida really wanted to hurt Disney, it would keep the RCID and instead strip the $500 million+ in tax breaks that it is providing the company to move 2,000+ Disney Parks management and Imagineering jobs from California to Florida. There's not been a word from DeSantis or any of his allies about doing that, which, to me, is the tell here," Niles wrote."

I do not mean to be critical of you, but these issues can be discussed without advocating a political side. It takes personal restraint on the part of the speaker to avoid "advocating" or "voting" and personal restraint on the part of the listener to not see everything that might be controversial as "political."

However, the OP of this thread has posted his view and I respect his right to see is as he will since he is the OP. I apologize to those of you who reacted with a "like" prior to editing. What appears now is a very different post.

I will see myself out.

Oh I agree with you Ms Bibbidi! I just feel it is so hard for people to do that these days that it just sets things up. However, I think this one is going strong with no issues now!

I just read somewhere that the threat to dissolve RCID is just political theater and there will be no impact (The Street magazine?) -- according to the street article, disney will save $150m a year that it doesn't have to pay RCID, and the country will have to cover that, plus take on the $1-2 billion in debt.

Here is the quote:
"If Florida really wanted to hurt Disney, it would keep the RCID and instead strip the $500 million+ in tax breaks that it is providing the company to move 2,000+ Disney Parks management and Imagineering jobs from California to Florida. There's not been a word from DeSantis or any of his allies about doing that, which, to me, is the tell here," Niles wrote."
i mean it kinda felt that way from the beginning

all i would say is if you're not looking at peers that directly correlate to Disney, i would have started with CMCSA. SONY, WBD, & PARA. Neflix, and Amazon would have a direct comp with their streaming services, but it is hard to quantify that part of their business against Disney, at least pertaining to stock price, which is why i don't consider them a comp
Listen I'm not here to bash Disney or the stock without taking the bigger picture into consideration. And sure we can compare Dis to those stocks but look what's happened...I first mentioned tech and streaming peers and a few including you said that's not fair to do. Ok fine. Now I did Blue Chip peers like someone else had mentioned. Now you mention the other entertainment companies. Can we just agree that Disney in general has been a BIT of a laggard as compared to MANY other similar or even dissimilar investment choices? I really don't see why this would be controversial. It really has lagged. And all I'm trying to say is that the CURRENT CHOICES of THIS REGIME are not and will not help anything especially considering how bad the macro environment has gotten and getting worse.

Like I said I own Disney, I'm down on it, I love the product and the company for many years, however I am extremely unhappy with the current course the company has decided to take in respect to a few things.
I can go into the politics of it all but I KNOW I KNOW LETS KEEP POLITICS OUT OF IT. Hard to do when politics are a huge part of things now. But that's also why I'm approaching it solely from the stock performance point of view so I can avoid the politics as much as possible. We'll see where the market takes this in the coming months and years.

Maybe Elon Musk will buy TWDC? He seems to be in the buying mood...at least from what I've read.
The man is an absolute beast! I never used to like the guy but lately more and more I've started to admire him and his gumption. HE puts his money where his mouth is...literally! And that's a rare trait these days where everyone talks out their you know whats, including mostly politicians and CEOs of companies!

according to the street article, disney will save $150m a year that it doesn't have to pay RCID, and the country will have to cover that, plus take on the $1-2 billion in debt.

If true, why hasn't Disney pushed for this annually? Certainly was a follow up question in the article I presume.

Listen I'm not here to bash Disney or the stock without taking the bigger picture into consideration. And sure we can compare Dis to those stocks but look what's happened...I first mentioned tech and streaming peers and a few including you said that's not fair to do. Ok fine. Now I did Blue Chip peers like someone else had mentioned. Now you mention the other entertainment companies. Can we just agree that Disney in general has been a BIT of a laggard as compared to MANY other similar or even dissimilar investment choices? I really don't see why this would be controversial. It really has lagged. And all I'm trying to say is that the CURRENT CHOICES of THIS REGIME are not and will not help anything especially considering how bad the macro environment has gotten and getting worse.

Like I said I own Disney, I'm down on it, I love the product and the company for many years, however I am extremely unhappy with the current course the company has decided to take in respect to a few things.
I can go into the politics of it all but I KNOW I KNOW LETS KEEP POLITICS OUT OF IT. Hard to do when politics are a huge part of things now. But that's also why I'm approaching it solely from the stock performance point of view so I can avoid the politics as much as possible. We'll see where the market takes this in the coming months and years.
I think you just need to compare their closest peers in the market when you are talking about the company on a whole. Tech companies, and blue chips work when you are debating if Dis is a good buy, but don't align close enough. Blue chip stocks i believe was an example of the type of company Dis is, again in the market, and again not apples to apples when you are speaking on a business level. When you compare peers that more closely align to Dis you can see that the segment of stocks is doing poorly. For instance you wouldn't compare Royal Caribbean to McDonalds. You are saying that the regime has made bad choices, but this has yet to be shown in their financials, or on the market when comparing more accurate peers. What i'm saying is you appear to be making your own metrics, but on paper there is nothing to see YET, maybe someday there will be, but not today.

I would speak to the business as a whole rather than stock prices, stock prices can reflect public sentiment, on top of a myriad of other things, and can't always be trusted. You can speak to a companies bottom line without drawing in politics

If true, why hasn't Disney pushed for this annually? Certainly was a follow up question in the article I presume.
Because they would end up paying more taxes to the counties than they currently do, net effect would be close to zero - they stop paying RCID directly and start paying the counties to provide those same services.

Because they would end up paying more taxes to the counties than they currently do, net effect would be close to zero - they stop paying RCID directly and start paying the counties to provide those same services.

So the complete opposite of what "Niles" said.

Somebody is way off.

Here is the quote:
Well then someone needs to tell the Governor, because today he reiterated the current RCID is being dissolved and Disney will not run its own government, they should not be exempt from other business regulations, they will not get tax cuts not available to other businesses, and under no circumstance will they not have to pay their own debts. That tax break for employee relocation is one that is offered to any business, it's not Disney exclusive.

Well then someone needs to tell the Governor, because today he reiterated the current RCID is being dissolved and Disney will not run its own government, they should not be exempt from other business regulations, they will not get tax cuts not available to other businesses, and under no circumstance will they not have to pay their own debts. That tax break for employee relocation is one that is offered to any business, it's not Disney exclusive.
I have no idea-- just whatever thestreet.com was writing. I'm sure there's more to the story than I understand.

What benefit has DIsney received from RCID that Universal hasn't enjoyed?
At least one benefit is RCID being a quasi-government entity, gave access to bond funds in the Municipal marketplace. The advantage is better loan terms and rates as well as broader appeal to buyers versus a standard corporate bonding offer. Consider any future expansion of Skyliner would fall into this category of project directly benefiting from optimal financing options through RCID. Without RCID, Disney would have to rely on more traditional (and expensive) corporate bond funds like Universal or Sea World would use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter