• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Stock News & Earnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor DeSantis has signed the bill as of this afternoon 4/22/2022.

One thing I'm curious about. With this new law, I wonder how injuries or deaths will now be handled. I know it the past, if someone died on property, they were never actually 'dead on property' according to rumors. I know anytime there's an accident, the yellow tape and investigations go on and on around here. Will be interesting to see the county or state show up with their detectives and yellow tape on property if something goes wrong again.

That was before. I think once Epic Universe opens it will change a lot of things. I know it's anecdotal but there are already a lot of Disney loyalists that have opted for Universal recently.
I think if anything it drives more to Universal and Disney, they’re going after the same audience

My wife and I purchased Disney stock back in the mid 90s and still hold it to this day. In that time we have seen it as low as the mid teens and as high as I think around 200 dollars. To this day we are still ahead however the stock has lost a huge amount of value to us. This was never meant for us to retire on however there are many people who depend on the value of the stock and dividend as part of their retirement.

I met a gentleman who at one time had enough Disney stock when it was around $200.00 dollars a share that his investment was just under $1,000,000 now it would be worth just over $400,000 dollars. For him that would have been a significant loss.
Disney also has not paid a dividend in almost 2 years and once again some people depend on that money as part of their retirement income.

To me this is a big problem when public corporations forget one of their biggest responsibility is to the share holders.

I was watching an interview with the past CEO of Mc Donalds and he was once told that, and I am going to paraphrase this, that " corporations need to stay out of politics and social engineering and concentrate on making money for their share holders and let the share holders spend their money on what ever they want"

In the end, in my opinion, if corporate CEOs would just stay neutral on these types of subject mater they would not have some of the problems we are now talking about and it is not just Disney.
A whole lot of wisdom packed into this post!

My wife and I purchased Disney stock back in the mid 90s and still hold it to this day. In that time we have seen it as low as the mid teens and as high as I think around 200 dollars. To this day we are still ahead however the stock has lost a huge amount of value to us. This was never meant for us to retire on however there are many people who depend on the value of the stock and dividend as part of their retirement.

I met a gentleman who at one time had enough Disney stock when it was around $200.00 dollars a share that his investment was just under $1,000,000 now it would be worth just over $400,000 dollars. For him that would have been a significant loss.
Disney also has not paid a dividend in almost 2 years and once again some people depend on that money as part of their retirement income.

To me this is a big problem when public corporations forget one of their biggest responsibility is to the share holders.

I was watching an interview with the past CEO of Mc Donalds and he was once told that, and I am going to paraphrase this, that " corporations need to stay out of politics and social engineering and concentrate on making money for their share holders and let the share holders spend their money on what ever they want"

In the end, in my opinion, if corporate CEOs would just stay neutral on these types of subject mater they would not have some of the problems we are now talking about and it is not just Disney.
As shareholders, weren't we all just asked to vote about whether Disney political contributions should always be made public or am I dreaming?

The reality is almost all major corporations & industries make political donations...many to both major parties, sometimes specific parties in specific years for specific reasons.

It's legal. A recent visit to Open Secrets dot Org revealed McDonald's info with one click.

I'm no expert. I just really want Disney in FLA to thrive, not only bc I'm a shareholder but bc it's the largest employer in FLA & bc I'm a lifelong believer in the need for WDW magic in this crazy world.

I've heard about revenge travel for over a year now, a lot of people seem to grind their axe to it. I agree it is more packed now then normal, but there is nothing that would even remotely point in the negative direction once the "high" demand starts to come back to earth. I believe they'll settle back to attendance of 2019 after this baring a recession. I also think that the state of Europe will keep more Americans from travelling internationally in the short term, which could also benefit Disney for the foreseeable future
I would be very careful to not judge impact on park attendance yet. Most people won’t go through the trouble to cancel existing reservations and flights, and time off from work, and disappoint the kids, etc, etc. Any impact will be felt later on down the line if things continue to deteriorate. People who aren’t happy with Disney for one reason or another, or can’t afford it anymore, will simply decide to book something else for vacation next time. That’s where Disney could lose out. But they may not feel it for awhile.

I would be very careful to not judge impact on park attendance yet. Most people won’t go through the trouble to cancel existing reservations and flights, and time off from work, and disappoint the kids, etc, etc. Any impact will be felt later on down the line if things continue to deteriorate. People who aren’t happy with Disney for one reason or another, or can’t afford it anymore, will simply decide to book something else for vacation next time. That’s where Disney could lose out. But they may not feel it for awhile.
I’m not saying it can’t happen, I just think the gen pop doesn’t look at the same things the hardo Disney fans look at. I think casual guests wouldn’t know things have deteriorated bc they just aren’t as invested, the cost is the cost, you either can or can’t afford to go, that’s been the same since opening day.

The argument so many on here have been making have lasted about a year already, and whenever pressed on that matter they move the goalposts. In my opinion it’s people trying to will it into existence, not actually having any evidence to back up their assertions

Yes they are going after the same audience but I think once Epic Universe opens it makes Universal a longer stay and will take away from Disney. I think it's a good thing that Universal is growing.
We can agree that competition is good, how much competition this delivers is entirely a different case. All I’m saying is people make epic universe to be the most successful theme park on the planet years prior to opening. It is Epic only on paper currently

We can agree that competition is good, how much competition this delivers is entirely a different case. All I’m saying is people make epic universe to be the most successful theme park on the planet years prior to opening. It is Epic only on paper currently
While true the case can be said for everyone that keeps saying Disney is ok.

All I would say is that Disney was put into a tough situation, companies are expected more than ever to weigh in on social situations. Disney risks upsetting customers and employees alike if they don’t answer the call, which could also cause a tumble in stock prices. Note what happened when Disney didn’t take a stand initially.

Things are very different these days then they were even ten years ago

As shareholders, weren't we all just asked to vote about whether Disney political contributions should always be made public or am I dreaming?

The reality is almost all major corporations & industries make political donations...many to both major parties, sometimes specific parties in specific years for specific reasons.

It's legal. A recent visit to Open Secrets dot Org revealed McDonald's info with one click.

I'm no expert. I just really want Disney in FLA to thrive, not only bc I'm a shareholder but bc it's the largest employer in FLA & bc I'm a lifelong believer in the need for WDW magic in this crazy world.

As far as political donations needing to be public information to the stock holders by Disney that I am not sure of, but that would be nice.

In my opinion publicly traded companies should not be making political contributions. They never asked me what I wanted to do with my money and this goes for both party's.
I also want Disney to thrive ,I am a stock holder for over 25 years. As management changes over the years so do corporate ideals. I invest in company's long term and when these ideals change over time we see profits rise and drop, getting involved with social issues and politics never ends well for one side or the other.
The best bet for most company's in my opinion is to stay neutral.

I to also think the world especially now needs as much magic as we can get. It is sad when these thing happen because one side of the argument is not going to be happy and this causes people to change their vacation plans.

By the way Publix I think has more employees in Florida than Disney, not that it is a big deal😉.

As far as political donations needing to be public information to the stock holders by Disney that I am not sure of, but that would be nice.

In my opinion publicly traded companies should not be making political contributions. They never asked me what I wanted to do with my money and this goes for both party's.
I also want Disney to thrive ,I am a stock holder for over 25 years. As management changes over the years so do corporate ideals. I invest in company's long term and when these ideals change over time we see profits rise and drop, getting involved with social issues and politics never ends well for one side or the other.
The best bet for most company's in my opinion is to stay neutral.

I to also think the world especially now needs as much magic as we can get. It is sad when these thing happen because one side of the argument is not going to be happy and this causes people to change their vacation plans.

By the way Publix I think has more employees in Florida than Disney, not that it is a big deal😉.
You're right! I meant Central FLA but my fingers didn't catch up in time LOL!

As to companies remaining neutral politically, as long as they're legally allowed to make political donations, they will. And they all do as that site shows.

All I would say is that Disney was put into a tough situation, companies are expected more than ever to weigh in on social situations. Disney risks upsetting customers and employees alike if they don’t answer the call, which could also cause a tumble in stock prices. Note what happened when Disney didn’t take a stand initially.

Things are very different these days then they were even ten years ago
In my opinion if Disney had just stayed neutral this whole thing would have blown over by now.
They may have taken some heat from the small vocal minority of cast who were complaining but look at how this has just all blown up.

I am going to say this and it might not be a popular statement but Disney owes nothing to its employees other than a safe work environment, benefits promised under contract and to be paid for their work, That's it. If the employees are that upset that the company should have stayed neutral they can find a job with a company whose beliefs match theirs.

In my opinion Disney needs to be more worried about their guest/customers and stock holders.

The idea is to make money for their stock holders and let them do whatever they want with their money.
Part of that is not alienating your guest. If you alienate your guest they will look elsewhere to spend there vacation money.
I have read on several non Disney forums about people cancellation their up coming vacations and streaming services because of all the things that have gone on.
Is this going to be a significant amount of money who knows but it is happening.

You're right! I meant Central FLA but my fingers didn't catch up in time LOL!

As to companies remaining neutral politically, as long as they're legally allowed to make political donations, they will. And they all do as that site shows.
Thanks for the information.
I am going to have to look some of the companies I invest in to find out where my money is going.

If you bought Disney stock 5 years ago, your total return would be 2%. If you bought McDonald’s stock 5 years ago, your total return would be 79%.
I know there are a lot of others factors; but sounds like there’s some merit to what he said.

In my opinion if Disney had just stayed neutral this whole thing would have blown over by now.
They may have taken some heat from the small vocal minority of cast who were complaining but look at how this has just all blown up.

I am going to say this and it might not be a popular statement but Disney owes nothing to its employees other than a safe work environment, benefits promised under contract and to be paid for their work, That's it. If the employees are that upset that the company should have stayed neutral they can find a job with a company whose beliefs match theirs.

In my opinion Disney needs to be more worried about their guest/customers and stock holders.

The idea is to make money for their stock holders and let them do whatever they want with their money.
Part of that is not alienating your guest. If you alienate your guest they will look elsewhere to spend there vacation money.
I have read on several non Disney forums about people cancellation their up coming vacations and streaming services because of all the things that have gone on.
Is this going to be a significant amount of money who knows but it is happening.
I agree with your assertion about employment. Politics like it or not is center stage across the globe right now, and numerous companies have been reacting. I cannot imagine they would enter the breach without first weighing consequences. It isn’t unprecedented to take a stand politically, it has happened throughout the course of time. Disney did it back during WWII, and the more supercharged the politics of the day, the more companies enter into the arena

I disagree. I don't think they are going to close or go bankrupt but I think it will be awhile before things get turned around. Right now the parks are packed due to revenge travel going on. Once that's over I think the parks will be in for a down turn for a few years.

Correct. There are many that have been turned off by Disney that either have trips planned and/or are DVC members and are not yet willing to let politics rob them of money that they cannot get refunded. But rest assured once this round of packed parks is done...and once those turned off start selling off their DVCs for lower values (and we'll see a lot of ROFR from Disney taking over) then it will become clear to Disney brass what exactly the consequences are.

Without this post crossing the boundary of too political I would like to just mention that the great Michael Jordan once said about why he kept his mouth shut about politics, "Republicans buy sneakers too".

Disney should've stayed in their lane and now look at this mess.

July 24, 2015...if you bought Disney stock then you are officially in the red today.
Amazon? same time frame? you're up $2400 a share

I can do this with any large cap but feel free to do it yourself. And yes I am down on the stock and yes, I should've known better than to purchase a stock based on emotion.

Without this post crossing the boundary of too political I would like to just mention that the great Michael Jordan once said about why he kept his mouth shut about politics, "Republicans buy sneakers too".

Disney should've stayed in their lane and now look at this mess.
Exactly.
Right now the country is split about 50/50 so no matter what side you pick the other will be upset and some will cancel their vacations costing the company money in not only the short run but in the long run. Investors do not like turmoil in a company. This means they won't invest and this means the company will have less money to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter