Disney Studios working on sequel to 2007's Enchanted

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
By Adam Chitwood, Collider.com

When Enchanted hit theaters in 2007, it was a sizable hit. Disney’s live-action twist on its own classic animated film formula grossed over $340 million worldwide and landed a trio of Best Original Song Oscar nominations for some seriously catchy tunes (penned by Disney stalwart Alan Menken no less). So given the film’s success, it wasn’t a huge surprise that Disney began developing a sequel. Actually getting that sequel off the ground, however, has proven more difficult.

We’ve heard rumblings over the years of minimal movement on Enchanted 2, but now sources tell us that the project is seriously heating up over at the Mouse House. Anne Fletcher (The Proposal)remains attached to direct, and the studio is now in the process of punching up the script with the hopes that it will be in greenlight-ready shape very soon. What’s more, we know the current working title: Disenchanted

Story details remain under wraps, and it’s still unclear exactly which cast members will return. Amy Adams led a cast that included James Marsden, Patrick Dempsey, and Susan Sarandon in the first film and shehas been enthusiastic about reprising her lead role over the years. Enchanted was a wonderful showcase of her talents, as she was able to bring the traditionally naïve “Disney princess” archetype to reality with shades of dimension and show off her formidable singing pipes in the process.

This development comes at an interesting time for Disney, as the studio recently put a second Tron sequel into motion with cast and director in place before abruptly pulling the plug. An Enchanted sequel is much less expensive—and a much safer bet—than another Tron movie, but it does signal that the studio isn’t content to simply rely on mining its animated IP for live-action reboots or sit back and count that Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar money. They’re continuing to develop homegrown franchises. Even if some of those take nearly a decade to come to fruition.

Interesting. Enchanted is one of my favorite movies. However, I have never had confidence in sequels. If it happens, I hope it adds to Enchanted's greatness and doesn't detract from an already great thing.

Really they announced this like a year ago - the fact that it's nearing being green-lit is I supposed news, but since it's not ACTUALLY green-lit it really doesn't tell us much other than that work is still moving forward.

I liked the movie and would be up for a sequel. I could see some interesting places they could take the characters - though might be hard to not retread something that's already been done by "Once Upon a Time".

The film was fantastic...I really loved it. It was only a moderate hit at the box office, though. With 8 years passed, it is nearly forgotten by the general public. Strange that Disney is doing this at this point in time.

The film was fantastic...I really loved it. It was only a moderate hit at the box office, though. With 8 years passed, it is nearly forgotten by the general public. Strange that Disney is doing this at this point in time.
It's been in the works for some time but Amy Adams hasn't really been on board.

I wonder if they plan to use 2D or 3D animation for the animated sequences. 2D animation is pretty much extinct at Disney. They don't have much equipment nor experts in 2D in order to pull that off. Maybe they could hire a different studio.

Bumping this back up as Amy Adams was on GMA this morning to promote her new series and said the Enchanted sequel -- called "Disenchanted" -- is "in production" now. Seems like it may finally be happening!

If anything, I think this concept could work better today - seems like the Princess scene in Wreck It Ralph 2 was the most talked about aspect, and just Disney being more "self aware" today

Plus, I think Disney needs to do more movies like this that don't cost $200m to make

If anything, I think this concept could work better today - seems like the Princess scene in Wreck It Ralph 2 was the most talked about aspect, and just Disney being more "self aware" today

Plus, I think Disney needs to do more movies like this that don't cost $200m to make

I always wanted Enchanted 2 to be like a Disney Princess Avengers, where some new villain sends all the fairy tale princesses to NYC and Giselle has to help them get home. I don't think that's what their intention with Disenchanted is (the synopsis floating around is Giselle questions the reality of "happily ever after" when she has marriage trouble with Robert), but I'm excited no matter what because I loved Enchanted. It was probably what resparked my love of Disney.

I always wanted Enchanted 2 to be like a Disney Princess Avengers, where some new villain sends all the fairy tale princesses to NYC and Giselle has to help them get home. I don't think that's what their intention with Disenchanted is (the synopsis floating around is Giselle questions the reality of "happily ever after" when she has marriage trouble with Robert), but I'm excited no matter what because I loved Enchanted. It was probably what resparked my love of Disney.

My initial thought is she questions her view point and becomes all Emo and stuff and dresses in black, etc - and then everyone else has to remind her of what "happily Ever After" really means or something

But that doesn't sound that fun to me - so hopefully not exactly that

My initial thought is she questions her view point and becomes all Emo and stuff and dresses in black, etc - and then everyone else has to remind her of what "happily Ever After" really means or something

But that doesn't sound that fun to me - so hopefully not exactly that

Hahaha - Hot Topic Giselle would probably be right on target for a portion of their audience!

I feel like it will probably be more along the lines of Into The Woods or Once Upon a Time, where things like "Happily Ever After" and true loves kiss are indeed real, but never the end of the story and come with consequences.

Hahaha - Hot Topic Giselle would probably be right on target for a portion of their audience!

I feel like it will probably be more along the lines of Into The Woods or Once Upon a Time, where things like "Happily Ever After" and true loves kiss are indeed real, but never the end of the story and come with consequences.

That could be an interesting angle ... or like she got her "true love's kiss" and thinks now she is set for the rest of her life, but things keep happening and she has to continue to work for her Happily Every After

Would sort of fit the mold of the storyline from the fireworks show Happily Ever After in that you can have a dream, but it is up to you make your Happily Ever After a reality

That could be an interesting angle ... or like she got her "true love's kiss" and thinks now she is set for the rest of her life, but things keep happening and she has to continue to work for her Happily Every After

Would sort of fit the mold of the storyline from the fireworks show Happily Ever After in that you can have a dream, but it is up to you make your Happily Ever After a reality

I think that would be a very important story to tell - that there's a whole story after the Ever After wedding, and that people sometimes don't realize that because of the stories we hear.

This thread was confusing me. Then I realized I was thinking of the movie Tangled.... But now that I mention it, I'd rather see a Tangled 2 lol

This thread was confusing me. Then I realized I was thinking of the movie Tangled.... But now that I mention it, I'd rather see a Tangled 2 lol

Weirdly, the plot of Tangled was originally the reverse of Enchanted! A real world girl is sucked into fairy tale land and trapped in the tower by a witch, with the real Rapunzel turned into her squirrel side kick. Some test footage of this movie leaked years ago and it looked beautiful, but I'm pretty happy Glen Keane refocused it to be a straightforward fairy tale (though not really close to "Rapunzel" at all).

If you are looking for a Tangled sequel and haven't checked out "Tangled: The Series" or now "Rapunzel's Tangled Adventures," I recommend it. It's a wonderful show that really builds nicely upon the events of the movie.

There is a Tangled 2... well, sorta. The tv show currently running on The Disney Channel starts up right where the movie left off. It’s really good, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter