Disney to start charging for bags

I bought Disney’s reusable bags when there in January and one has already ripped a hole. So they aren’t as thick as other reusable bags I have purchased. :confused3

I don’t mind buying a bag. But if it really was SOLEY about the environment, then why don’t they just charge the actual cost of the bag- a nickel maybe? And limit them available only with purchase.
If they were a nickel, no one would think twice about it and everyone would get the bag with the purchase. Probably this price is more psychological that you start to think bag or no bag.

Last edited:
Now everyone has a new use for the Castaway Club tote bag gift.

This was my first thought. Whenever I've made a purchase on CC, I ask for no bag and just place the item in our beach bag or carry it back to the ship. It would be a bigger issue for me when we shop in the stores onboard. At least once a cruise, we will pop in the gift shop and pick up a few souvenirs. One or two items would be easy enough without a bag, but more items than that and I'd have to purchase a reusable bag.

It's been this way in the UK for several years now. Thinner plastic bags are still available for roughly 15c, more heavy duty reusable bags are sold for approximately $1.50-$2. Yes, I do have an unhealthy collection of reusable bags in my kitchen cupboard because I go to the store for 1 thing and come out with a new bag full! Haha

This phenomenon fascinates me. What are the bags made of....paper? I thought we went through the stage of "don't cut down the trees!" Recycled plastic ...is still plastic, right? I don't get this at all and don't buy into the environmental advantage it's supposed to be. Just another money-making opportunity as I see it, so I won't be buying bags. My local Disney store tried to tell me that I needed to buy a bag so that I could take paid-for items from the store. I proved that I did not need a bag by carrying the items to my car...though I sure it looked like I was an unrepentant shoplifter. When people end up with less money for themselves and 150 of these bags....???? JMHO and not looking to be an agitator, I just don't subscribe to this.

Ack. Am I the only person who has noticed that the more “environmentally friendly” we get, the more trash we make? Also, we don’t reuse nearly as many things as we used to. Finally, has anyone ever given two thoughts about how things are recycled (hint: it takes electricity which is made by burning fossil fuels)? Or that plastic, when broken down creates noxious fumes?

The most biodegradable option (also highly reusable) are paper bags. Yet, companies don’t go back to using them, because they costs the companies more money than plastic does. Instead, they promote “reusable” bags and pass the costs on to consumers. The reusable bags don’t last forever so more and more will eventually fill the trash heaps and because they are coated in plastic will take much longer to break down than paper sacks (you know, the kind that used to come FREE from every store?).

So, customers are once again being charged more and given less. AND the companies have convinced consumers that it’s not about the money (which it IS—it is ALWAYS about the money).

My gripe is that we used to get food in glass, cardboard, foil and occasionally some waxed paper.

Now, we get plastic, plastic, plastic-coated paper, more plastic and styrofoam. Just look at the packaging the next time you shop. How many times do you have to take something out of plastic? Or what about those horrible clamshell plastic packages you have to cut open to get the product out? Even Hershey bars went to those weird foil colored plastic wrappers instead of the paper and foil they used to used to use. Yet, the uproar from environmental groups always seems to be about bags or straws — never about things like packaging that actually has a much larger impact.

Sorry about the rant, but these threads come up all the time with people congratulating themselves for being so environmentally conscious and defending the companies. The companies are NOT making these decisions for the environment. They are thinking about profit first and PR second. For them, a decision like this is win-win.

I would be more convinced if they’d go back to free paper sacks.

We love paper bags in grocery stores. We them use them to put our recyclables in to take to the dump. I would say at this point we generally take more recyclables to the dump than garbage.

Never understood the single use water bottle thing. We aren’t perfect by any means, but at least most of the things we buy come in recyclable packaging:)

Now if they would sell a fuel efficient truck with towing power, technology is there but not used, life would be great. Because we live in the country, sedans are not an option in the winter.

Also while yes I have a 16 foot fishing boat on my home waters I use less than 6 gallons of gas a summer and maybe 9 gallons of gas during a weeks vacation. I mainly use the electric trolling motor to fish and move spot to spot. Only reason vacation is a bit more gas is it is a bit of a run to get to the different spots from the cabin we rent. I can’t imagine the amount of gas the wake boats and ski boats go through, but a lot of the people that fish really try to make sure we have good clean water to support all the different fish, minus the carp of course.

As to Disney charging for a shopping bag not really a big deal, as Dug said just carry it back to your room after you buy it. I did like on Celebrity, they had an average sized tote bag in the room for guests to use and keep. Perhaps in the future DCL could just leave one of these bags in each room and if you wanted or needed more you could buy them in the shops.

Last edited:
Unless you are buying a crap-ton of stuff, you can also just take it back to your cabin. The ships are not THAT big. I did that on the Wonder a couple of weeks ago - bought my 2 sweat shirts, 1 turvis wine cup, and rainbow Mickey pin and just took them back to my cabin. It did not take that long, and I would have been heading right back to my cabin to drop off the bag anyway.

This is exactly how I see it. If we buy something in the stores on the ship we can just run it back up to our cabin, no biggie. If we're on CC we already have a day bag with us so will just put the purchases in there (plus we always hit the shop on the way back to the ship).

Maybe I'm just not finding this a big deal because our grocery stores have been charging for plastic bags here for YEARS and our local Disney store has eliminated plastic bags altogether so you are forced to buy their reusable bag or bring your own (which is why I currently have two reuseable Disney store bags at the moment because while I can remember to bring them to the grocery store, I never remember for the Disney store lol). Will I bring them on vacation? Nope haha

We cut out plastic bags 8 years ago so I know I’m not as sensitive to this, but the ships seem like the easiest place to go without a bag. I’m usually juggling 4 or 5 things when I leave a retail store now and don’t bother to grab the canvas bags, so the short trip to the cabin doesn’t seem overwhelming. Considering it’s usually a shirt or toy they’re easy to carry and not wet/sticky/cold like some of our grocery store purchases.

I think this is cool. We always forget tote bags and end up with plastic. Although I do take some to recycle back at the store, I always feel bad. Now I'll have cute Disney bags to buy groceries with--as long as they last, LOL.

If this was just about the environment, they would switch to paper bags

Paper bags take more energy to produce than plastic bags so based on overall lifecycle production and disposal costs, they are no more environmentally friendly than a plastic bag. And it's not always down to a decision between doing something that is environmentally friendlier or something that's more cost-effective/revenue producing. It can be both and the fact that it is both may be more motivating than just the choice between one or the other.

I'm personally surprised that it took Disney this long to go this direction. Virtually no store around my area provides bags for free and some don't provide bags, period. You just get used to bringing a reusable bag, putting stuff in your purse/backpack/briefcase, etc., or just carrying it. It really isn't that difficult and it becomes normal after a while.

I wouldn’t mind to pay a $1 for a Disney reusable bag. I always come home with all these Disney plastic bags even when I most often refuse a bag if I already have one. Now I have a good reason to get one of those cute bags!

I feel exactly the same. We have some reusable bags that have been reused so much they are falling apart. I never mind picking up a new one here or there. And as you say - better to have a bag I can reuse when I get home than one that goes directly into the garbage.

I feel exactly the same. We have some reusable bags that have been reused so much they are falling apart. I never mind picking up a new one here or there. And as you say - better to have a bag I can reuse when I get home than one that goes directly into the garbage.
Now, see, not everyone tossed the old, plastic bags in the trash once home. I always reused them, for packing lunches, trash can liners, carrying my handwork projects, whatever. In fact I would make strips out of them to crochet stuff (water bottle holders, rugs, clothespin bags) Now people are using the bags that they have to pay for in that manner, something that should probably have been promoted all along.

Another thought, I always felt that part of the cost of shopping at any given store (that provided bags) had the cost of those bags already figured into their bottom line. Now it's pretty much double dipping, getting more money from the consumer for nothing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter