"Disney trips are so complicated now that you need a class to plan one"

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily take a lot of time to set up rides first thing. But if you want to modify your ride times you have to keep checking for the times you want. Then there's mobile food ordering. And probably other uses I'm not remembering.

I agree that Genie+ offers advantages over running hither and yon collecting FastPasses. But I'm one of those people who'd rather not have to be using my phone a lot when I'm on vacation, except for occasional photos.
None of those are necessary for Genie+ tho. Don't mobile order, do the normal line. Don't modify/refresh, just use the first time you get. Don't check the waiting time and just go to the ride you want. All of those are choices and options that folks have but no one is forcing you to mobile order or even use those functions.

I think those of us who remember the paper fastpass look back with fondness. In reality, it was still a pain to rush to the machine of the ride-of-choice, only to stand behind a group feeding tickets, watching the time tick up and up... only to get a return time much later in the day.

I'm a planner, so I can't speak for most, but before I travel on any vacation, a do a bit of research, where to eat, what's in the area, special things to see. I just can't fathom attempting WDW without a minimal amount of research.

I think those of us who remember the paper fastpass look back with fondness. In reality, it was still a pain to rush to the machine of the ride-of-choice, only to stand behind a group feeding tickets, watching the time tick up and up... only to get a return time much later in the day.

I'm a planner, so I can't speak for most, but before I travel on any vacation, a do a bit of research, where to eat, what's in the area, special things to see. I just can't fathom attempting WDW without a minimal amount of research.

The one thing that I liekd about the paper FastPass system is that you didn't have to feel like you had to use it. Grab one if you want or if it's convenient, or don't if you don't want it. If you pulled it and can't use it, maybe pass it to someone else. The newer systems have always sort of pushed you to use them. I mean, how often did I get that The Seas with Nemo FP just to round out my three because I had already gotten my Tier 1 choice and what else am I gonna get? Certainly with Genie+ if I am paying for it, I want to be all over using it, but it feels a little daunting to not know how that is going to go on any given day.

Our first family trip was about 10 years ago. We've gone back mostly once a year after that. We didn't plan much for our first trip, but still had a great time. We bought the Birnbaum Guide and that gave us all the info we needed. Then for a few trips, we started OVER planning and getting exhausted. We finally found a nice balance.

Part of the problem may be that people see the commercials where there is a kid running along an empty walkway to hug Mickey Mouse and it's just not an accurate representation of reality. "What? I have to book a Lightning Lane or wait an hour to see Mickey? He's not just walking around like on the commercial. Oh, I could have done a character meal instead? Huh, I costs HOW much? I guess we can see him pass by in a parade. Phew, we need a course to figure this out."

It's not super complicated to meet Mickey Mouse, but he's not just out hugging every kid who walks in. I'm not sure that people are expecting that, but maybe that sets up other expectations.

We've given up on ever going back to Disney World. It's too complicated and stressful.

For now, we'll stick with Disney Cruise Lines. It's a LITTLE less complicated....for now.
Idk, I feel like it's more complicated because you need to know what excursions you want for the various cruise stops. The guests with advance booking privileges tend to book up the cabanas, reservations like Palo and Remy, the more popular excursions, etc.

I reject this idea that somehow vacation planning is unique to Walt Disney World. When I go on a cruise (with any cruise line), I research things, plan a rough itinerary, make some reservations and buy some tickets. When I go to Hawaii, I research things, plan a rough itinerary, make some reservations and buy some tickets. When I go to a new city, I research things, plan a rough itinerary, make some reservations and buy some tickets.
Completely agree. Most places require advanced booking nowadays.

We tried to go to a couple popular historical sites in the Northeast 10 years ago and found out that it wasn't possible at the "last minute." Every time slot was sold out for the weekend we were in the area. If we want to go to a concert, we have to figure out how to access the presales and be ready with our CC as soon as tickets go on sale. I felt bad that I didn't get passes to see the synchronous fireflies in TN last year until I found out that, "Over 20,000 people enter the lottery each year, and only 960 vehicle passes – 120 per night – are distributed."

Basically everywhere we've been in the last decade, we've had to make at least some advanced bookings for activities and dining we want (and family/friends have often missed out because they neglected to make reservations). Even if I want to just go to a semi-fancy restaurant in my own city, I have to make reservations a couple weeks in advance. And that's all after I've researched to even know what activities, etc, we want to attend. And all these places have different booking timeframes - at least WDW is fairly consistent and almost completely done on their app.

I recently booked a quick trip to NYC and spent an inordinate amount of time researching hotels. Same with an upcoming trip to Paris. Both are more expensive than most WDW hotels (even though WDW hotels are overpriced). If I book any Disney-owned hotel I can generally rely on the room being clean and safe, and if it isn't, they'll make things right. The same cannot be said for other brands. The Disney hotels also have included transportation to entertainment. But when I book hotels in cities, I have to do much more research on guest ratings, room sizes, amenities, locations, transportation (safe walking paths/distances, subway stops, drive times, parking,...).

I currently have multiple internet pages open on my phone because I'm trying to sift through the seemingly hundreds of options for visiting the sites we want to go to in Paris - self-guided vs tours, if tours then which ones,... It took me about 10 minutes to book Disneyland Paris including hotel, park tix, their skip the line service, and dining (we've never been before, and I even checked the Disneyland websites for multiple countries to compare prices).

Back in the "day" (up until mid 1990's or so) you could walk up to a character right after rope drop without a soul around! We enjoyed taking our time and ate where we wanted, when we wanted oh, those were the days. We woke up and decided which park to visit.

We've sold many DVC contracts over the past two years and just sold another over the weekend. We dropped our AP's last year. This is my 51st year and I'm pretty much over it as is DH and even our thirty-something son and DIL. They now go to Europe a couple times a year and we are content in our new home.

There is way too much planning involved and I cannot imagine a newbie being able to figure it out when we are overwhelmed though we've spent many hundreds of days in the parks! I helped plan trips for dozens of people (for free) just because I enjoyed it. You could watch every video and read every book and still not "get it". We approached our visits from a nostalgic point of view which is entirely different from these poor souls trying to see it all in a week.

I'm happy for folks that still enjoy their trips and don't discourage people from visiting, it's just that for us, the magic is pretty well gone. Perhaps one more trip in the next couple years and I'll hang up my ears...

For me, this is true, and one of the reasons I enjoy Disney. I actually ENJOY the research and the planning. I also know that many do not and that's fair. To me, creating the game plan and executing it is part of the fun.
I used to enjoy it. It just seem the complexity has gone up and I am still having a problem getting my head around it all after a 7 year hiatus.

I used to enjoy it. It just seem the complexity has gone up and I am still having a problem getting my head around it all after a 7 year hiatus.

After a 7 year break, I can see that because a lot has changed in that time. But I don't feel like it's necessarily more complicated. You just have to relearn it and once you do, it's not that bad.

I used to love planning too. We would time our rope drop and FP+ and lunch all around certain areas of the park. Not knowing what our LL return time will be or what the next attraction will be makes it harder to plan and forces us cross the park too much. That's my main complaint with G+. We can't really tackle sections of the park strategically, so a lot of planning is on the spot.

I used to love planning too. We would time our rope drop and FP+ and lunch all around certain areas of the park. Not knowing what our LL return time will be or what the next attraction will be makes it harder to plan and forces us cross the park too much. That's my main complaint with G+. We can't really tackle sections of the park strategically, so a lot of planning is on the spot.
Same here, I liked aligning FP+ with dining reservation. But back then many people complained about having to plan so far ahead or being locked out of FPs for big attractions if they didn't. Lack of spontaneity... It must be hard to please everyone

For me, this is true, and one of the reasons I enjoy Disney. I actually ENJOY the research and the planning. I also know that many do not and that's fair. To me, creating the game plan and executing it is part of the fun.
Couldn’t agree more. Planning IS the fun. I’m on here right now just in case I can pick up even a small crumb that will lead me to useful research about the next trip. Regardless of differing opinions, the MyDisneyApp and Genie+ are really good platforms to navigate your day. Extremely efficient.

I do agree, increase the price. That’s the only way to make it work. Universal’s fast pass is steep for our family of 4, but we value time over the money at least while on vacation. Disney would have to price their lane skipping passes even higher.

As others have said the paper fast passes were not all that great.
I can recall the running to Toy Storia mania and then getting behind someone with tickets for an entire tour group.
So although you may look back on it with fondness - it was not that great.
But, it was still better than the long lines previous to that.

I did like FP+ for the most part, but I did not like the planning months in advance - I have no idea what park I am going to be in on a specific day months from now. You also had to be up at a ridiculous time months before you vacation for get a FP+ for a popular ride.

People mention you have to plan for most vacations and Ill say - yeah somewhat.
I've been to almost every country in the EU as well as Croatia and Australia, I can get a simple top 10 list and show up and have a great time. You cant do that with Disney you really have to plan.

In the end its a theme park and people for the most part don't want to plan a theme park vacation. People understand planning is part of a vacation in Europe. Many people show up with no idea that there is all this planning.

Anyway - overall even though I am not a fan of G+ it worked for me.
I don't like the two hours between picking rides and that they are basically one LL at a time.
I also don't like that VQ and LL start at the same time.
Depending on what VQ I get I may or may not need G+. What VQ I get and what group may decide what I do for the entire day.
The 7AM thing is also aggravating for many.

Paying another $25 on top of what is already a pricey ticket is also frustrating, and unlike universal there is no way to get that for free. At least with Express pass a Family of 4 can get a room at a very nice hotel that includes express pass every day , plus check in and check out day. So for one night at a hotel that can be as low as $300-$400 that family of 4 can get 2 days of express pass. Not sure you can even get a deluxe hotel at Disney for $300-$400 other than the Swan\Dolphin.

Id like to see some changes to G+ - which they have promised.
There needs to be better perks for folks staying on property and also for folks staying deluxe.

Personally - it will be a long time before I go back to Disney, if ever, but I would still like to see them do better.

Last thing I will say - a Disney vacation is way harder on a person than any other vacation.
Its not unusual for me to do 35k steps a day on vacation.
But 35k steps on a Disney vacation really kills you at the end of the day.
35k steps in Europe = or even Universal during HHN does not kill me as much as a Disney one.
Not sure why - but its just tougher on the body IMO - maybe all that criss crossing back and fourth across the park for rides.

People mention you have to plan for most vacations and Ill say - yeah somewhat.
I've been to almost every country in the EU as well as Croatia and Australia, I can get a simple top 10 list and show up and have a great time. You cant do that with Disney you really have to plan.
The amount of planning depends on how much you want to accomplish from your vacation. You can also have a simple Disney trip if you want.

The amount of planning depends on how much you want to accomplish from your vacation. You can also have a simple Disney trip if you want.
Exactly. And it is not true that you can simply show up to most European cities and have access to all the top attractions. If you didn't get your ticket to see Rome's Coliseum's underground/arena in advance, you're not getting in. Same with the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. If you want to go to the top the Eiffel tower and you didn't plan in advance, you either may not get in or you'll wait in a line to get tickets if there are still any left (unlikely for the sunset views or during peak times). The leaning tower at Pisa books out months in advance for the summer travel season...

This is all akin to: if you don't plan ahead for WDW, you may not get into the VQ, or book the dining reservation you may have wanted, etc.

But just like in Paris and Rome, you can look up a top 10 list and show up at WDW and do those things over the course of your stay and have a great time. You may have to wait in line just like if you didn't pre-book your Eiffel tower tickets for Paris. You may have to buy the lightning lane access if you didn't get your VQ spot for the top rides. But you can do them.

And unlike going to a European city where you have to navigate many different websites to get tickets for the different attractions, you can book your VQ and ADRs from one website/app for a WDW vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter