Disney Vacation Club Question

nikjd68

Mouseketeer
I am 211 days away from my trip. If I open an account today for $10, and then right before my package payment is due put all the money in the account first, do I get the $20 gift cards for each $1000 I put in the account (2%) since 120 days will have elapsed since I created the account?

Also, how do you get the gift cards? Are they mailed to you?

First, this is the Disney Vacation Account, not the Disney Vacation Club (DVC is very different, it's effectively a timeshare program)

The $20 per 1000 is for money SPENT out of the DVA, not put into it. The gift cards are mailed about 4 weeks before your trip I believe, so you will need to pay the package by then (I'm not sure when the package payment deadline is).
And I think you understand this, but it's not a flat 2%, if you spend $1999 out of the DVA, you get $20. If you spend $2000 out of it, you get $40. The money spent includes payments to Disney World, Disneyland, etc for room, tickets, packages, and does not include any extra money you request on a gift card.

First, this is the Disney Vacation Account, not the Disney Vacation Club (DVC is very different, it's effectively a timeshare program).

Yes, I had a brain fart by using "club" instead of "account".

Are there any negatives to using the account that I should know about other than the timing you mention above if I want the gc's before my trip?

None that I know of, but I am also using it for the first time. Should be getting my GCs in a few weeks.

I used it for our trip this year. I bought the $50.00 gift cards from sam's club to load into the account since they're discounted. It worked great and I'll do it again next time.

I used it for our trip this year. I bought the $50.00 gift cards from sam's club to load into the account since they're discounted. It worked great and I'll do it again next time.

My plan, is to buy some Target GC's on Dec 4th when they are 10% off and use them to buy the Disney GC's. I know there is discussion all over WDW message boards about whether this will work, but my understanding is that Target has only put the kabash on using your redcard to get 5% off online with gc's you've loaded onto the site.

Yes, I had a brain fart by using "club" instead of "account".

Are there any negatives to using the account that I should know about other than the timing you mention above if I want the gc's before my trip?
Do a search on here and the TPAS. There have been problems with the DVA. You can minimize your exposure to the problems by making sure that you're aware what they are/were and by not putting your funds into it until you are immediately ready to use the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter