Disney Villains After Dark --- I don't get it....

What makes it a great experience? Were the ride lines shorter? were any good rides open?

For me, I absolutely loved the stage show! It was fantastic and I wish I had seen it a couple of times while there. I spent time riding things, and while the lines weren't too long they weren't that short either. Still, the show made it worthwhile for me, and it looks like they are plussing some things for this year. I enjoyed it.

I much prefer the villains but I love villains so much that may be why

Same here. I’ve never done regular DAH but I went to the last VAH last summer and had a blast. Love Villain anything. Also being a giant cosplay nerd I love any opportunity to dress up at Disney as an adult! We are going again on our May trip, still thinking about it but I will probably be Calypso and gf will be Tamatoa.

Can someone kindly explain the disney villains after park admission? If i'm already in the park is it included or is this a COMPLETELY separate admission? Is it worth it to pay for just 3 hours? I don't get it...
It's a way for Disney to charge guests twice if they're wanting a full day. Full admission paying guests will be kicked out of the park early (unless they pay for the hard ticket event and a regular admission ticket,) while those who choose to pay for the hard ticket "event" will be allowed into the park in the evening (unless they choose to pay for the regular admission ticket too.)

It's a way for Disney to charge guests twice if they're wanting a full day. Full admission paying guests will be kicked out of the park early (unless they pay for the hard ticket event and a regular admission ticket,) while those who choose to pay for the hard ticket "event" will be allowed into the park in the evening (unless they choose to pay for the regular admission ticket too.)

That isn’t true for After Hours events. They don’t start until park close. If you want to argue that Disney is cutting back on evening EMH in favor of more of these upcharge events, that’s fair. But no one is being denied a full day in the park if they don’t have an event ticket. This is not the Halloween or Xmas parties where MK closes early.

Last edited:
The Villains event doesn’t have to be an add on that increases cost. We made the day a resort day and used the pool etc and only went at night for the event. That was the park ticket for the day. Obviously that doesn’t help if you are a passholder. You do get in early before the official start so you can book fast passes for that time. Once the event started most rides were walkons. Loved the event specific and free treats. Didn’t care for the stage show but YMMV.

The Villains event doesn’t have to be an add on that increases cost. We made the day a resort day and used the pool etc and only went at night for the event. That was the park ticket for the day. Obviously that doesn’t help if you are a passholder. You do get in early before the official start so you can book fast passes for that time. Once the event started most rides were walkons. Loved the event specific and free treats. Didn’t care for the stage show but YMMV.
We didn’t like the stage show either but we aren’t big show people. We love dah events because it’s nice to relax at the resort, eat an early dinner, and enjoy the night!

I just wish they would extend it by a couple of weeks. :( I loved doing it on my birthday trip last year!

Not so. DAH starts at either 9 or 10pm, after regular park close. It won't impede anyone else's enjoyment of the park. We plan to do a full day elsewhere and hop to MK for the event. I am not sure why event is in quotes. Have you ever been to one of these? IMO it is definitively an event and well worth the extra cash.

Last edited:
Here's my logic - our family has issues with the sun. If we're buying a one day park ticket it is $128 to $135. That gets us access to the park from 8am to 10pm, (14 hours), however, we're really likely to be there from the afternoon on (6 to 8 hours). The VAH is $145 (less than $20 more) and gets us 7pm to 1am - 6 hours, but with lower lines, free food/drink, and extra Villains options that we love so much. Heck for us it's worth it just to see the Dragon.

Villains EH appears twice on the Disney calendar for the week we're planning to be there 7/5-7/12, are Disney calendars (hours & events) reliable that far out?

Years ago I recall that hours were expanded for summer days as we approached the actual dates. I could be wrong...

For people like me, that prefer the parks at night, it's worth it. Plenty of youtube videos to see what it's all about. Check it out, maybe you'll like it?

I’ve always done the after hours events in place of a regular park day, not in addition to a regular ticketed park day. I would not attempt 6+ hours in the daytime in July, but the AH was much more tolerable. However, I would not pay for an after hours event with younger children.

I’ve always done the after hours events in place of a regular park day, not in addition to a regular ticketed park day. I would not attempt 6+ hours in the daytime in July, but the AH was much more tolerable. However, I would not pay for an after hours event with younger children.

I'll debate that one with you - we have always taken our kids, since they were little, to after hours events. You just have to manage accordingly, i.e. not expect them to go from park open to midnight, etc, or to get up for 6am open the next day. (however, we have done that...lol).

Our MK portion of our trips is frequently ONLY a party or after hours event. 4pm-midnight or 1am is a pretty good deal for the price, without the heat, and hopefully smaller crowds (not lately, though). We have done this since 2012, when our kids were 4, 2, and 0.

Our next trip will be only DAH and hopefully a MM if we can’t get tickets. The good thing being DVC is that the extra ticketed events are discounted.

so how do they monitor who has tickets specifically for the event? I'm assuming they are linked to the magic bands. I get if you weren't in the park, but for day guests, since they are allowing guests with tickets in at 7, how do they stop people with regular tickets from just staying? I know they check as you get on rides, but what if people just want to walk around and watch the show....how would they get those people out? I've been to the Halloween party and always heard people just stay to view the shows/parades/fireworks and just dont go on the rides.

so how do they monitor who has tickets specifically for the event? I'm assuming they are linked to the magic bands. I get if you weren't in the park, but for day guests, since they are allowing guests with tickets in at 7, how do they stop people with regular tickets from just staying? I know they check as you get on rides, but what if people just want to walk around and watch the show....how would they get those people out? I've been to the Halloween party and always heard people just stay to view the shows/parades/fireworks and just dont go on the rides.
Wristbands

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter