• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Visa - 0% APR for booking Disney Vacation

berlykim22

Mouseketeer
So I booked my trip through Liberty Travel and have been on phone and emails with Travel Agent and Disney chase visa, rewards, etc
Apparently my trip doesn't qualify for 0 APR,
Ugh I could scream, I really didn't think too much of it weeks back, but till I talked to a Rewards agent who told me I should get it I am spending a lot of money and thats a good savings.

Any suggestions please..... we are definitely spending more then we can at the moment so any savings is helpful, I literally had worst day ever Friday, day I booked my fast passes, spent full day off on phone or waiting for my travel agent and there costumer services to call me back, and guess what I had to call me back.

Liberty solution - I could cancel my trip and get full refund and then book directly with Disney.

I have free dining, booked fast passes and dining,
so really cancel and rebook, they knew there was no way I was doing that,
not very magical start to my Disney Vacation!!!!

thanks for any thoughts

If you got free dining, then it had to be a package. Doesn't make sense to me. The 0% financing would come straight from VISA, not the agent or Disney. Have you tried calling them direct? I would also run my numbers again using Disney's website with a room-only discount and tickets separately either from Disney or from Undercovertourist. Depending on the makeup of your group, FREE DINING, could actually cost you more than paying for food out of pocket especially if kids can split a meal.

hmm seems really weird to me.
since you mention you got free dining that would mean you booked a vacation package at least i would assume.
so i really am not sure why you didn't get 0% apr for 6 months.

did either the TA or disney visa give you an exact reason as to why you're not eligible?
personally i would force the issue with at least disney visa because it could just be a simple mistake that no one will look into.
i know that they told me that i was not eligible to downgrade from the premier card to the regular card back in january but could not give me a reason.
suddenly i get a new card in the mail and i'm downgraded.
i call to ask how this was possible and they said that someone missed that fact that i've been a member for more than 11 months so i could downgrade after all.
i had been telling them that i was a member of nearly 3 years before but they just kept saying i couldn't downgrade.

i'd make a stink about it until the matter is resolved.

You paid TA and TA then paid Disney. What am I missing? You don't get a visa deal paying someone else to book it with their funds do you?

Your situation happened to us last year when we booked the Poly through a TA. Here is our story:
I have to chime in: this past summer when we stayed at the Polynesian, we booked with a TA and before we used this agency, I called Visa to make sure we would get the 0% if we used an agency (and not booking Disney direct). All parties said yes. Fast forward. Visa sent us a letter saying our vacation didn't qualify. I spoke to several people at Visa and Disney. Different answer Depending who you got on the phone. They had no clue what was going on. I remained forceful and finally, while a Visa manager disagreed that we should have received the deal (saying you could only get it direct through Disney reservations) he relented due to the hassle and misinformation we received. So read the fine print, get confirmation in writing and make sure your TAs know what is applicable or not as well.

Regardless of whether it's with a TA or not, it should be interest free. This wording is directly from the website...

As an ongoing card perk, you get special vacation financing (a promotional APR of 0% for 6 months) on select Disney vacation packages, Disney cruises, Adventures by Disney®packages and Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai'i vacation packages purchased with your Disney Visa® Card through the Walt Disney Travel Company, your travel agent or online at Disney sites. For new accounts, the standard purchase APR is 16.24% variable. Please refer to the applicable Pricing and Terms for details: Disney Premier Visa® Card pricing; Disney Rewards Visa® Card pricing. For existing accounts, please see your Cardmember Agreement.

It specifically notes travel agent...

Thanks everyone.
Basically since TA looked my credit card and Liberty was paid with my Disney Visa then sends a check to Disney,
I am going to keep fighting this though.
And when I called another agent, not one I am using, she said that she can book straight through Disney,
but my agent says No!! so frustrating.
Kallanach - did Disney Visa give you the 0% APR eventually?
I have been given a lot miss information too!!!

PS yes we booked a package,
and I checked pricing all ways, but it was best deal around, and will cost me a lot more to cancel and book again and also I can't because of Fastpasses booked and dining.

Thanks everyone.
Basically since TA looked my credit card and Liberty was paid with my Disney Visa then sends a check to Disney,
I am going to keep fighting this though.
And when I called another agent, not one I am using, she said that she can book straight through Disney,
but my agent says No!! so frustrating.
Kallanach - did Disney Visa give you the 0% APR eventually?
I have been given a lot miss information too!!!
After weeks of calls to Disney, the TA and Visa, Visa finally credited the interest to our account but NEVER admitted they were wrong and stuck by the position that we were not supposed to get the 0% on our package (which Disney reservations and TA thought we should qualify for). They gave in due to the "misunderstanding" of the situation (never the mind that every other person at Visa I spoke with said we qualified for the 0%).
We're going again in a few days and just don't rely on that promo anymore. Not worth the stress.

You paid TA and TA then paid Disney. What am I missing? You don't get a visa deal paying someone else to book it with their funds do you?

This is what I was thinking. Since you paid the travel agency and not WDTC direct, it might not qualify for 0% interest. If the agency charged your cc for payment to them and then they sent their money/payment to Disney, that agency (technically) paid WDTC, which could be the reason why the purchase doesn't qualify for no interest.

thanks again guys,
It just frustrating, bc I told my travel agent about Disney Visa and she wasn't helpful,
and then I was on phone with Disney Visa Rewards and agent helping me said I am paying a lot of money for my vacation and I should get the 0 apr and I should get that savings its a lot of money.
I called other Liberty travels agents who said that they can use my disney visa and pay disney direct.
I still had final big payment, so just wish my TA could have made that payment direct to Disney, in end lots of calls and frustration.
Upset with Liberty and with Disney Visa!! but will keep trying to see if I can get something. thanks again

thanks again guys,
It just frustrating, bc I told my travel agent about Disney Visa and she wasn't helpful,
and then I was on phone with Disney Visa Rewards and agent helping me said I am paying a lot of money for my vacation and I should get the 0 apr and I should get that savings its a lot of money.
I called other Liberty travels agents who said that they can use my disney visa and pay disney direct.
I still had final big payment, so just wish my TA could have made that payment direct to Disney, in end lots of calls and frustration.
Upset with Liberty and with Disney Visa!! but will keep trying to see if I can get something. thanks again

So actually, I emailed my agent about this, and she said that the 0% interest does not apply. With the bigger agents, they actually make the payment to themselves and then pay Disney, so "technically" YOU are not making the payment.

Thanks! I still think its BS!
its a lot of money! and part of reason to have card!!!
I will let you know outcome, night!

VISA sees Liberty Travel as the merchant and not Disney, that's where the problem is. Most agencies do have Disney charge your card directly so this is not a problem. Seems like large nationwide agencies like Liberty process your card then pay Disney by check, not an uncommon practice with large agencies or wholesalers, since they are allowed to take their commission up front this way and the resort (in this case Disney) does not have to spend time and resources processing a commission payment after your stay. Also the agency can consolidate payment for many clients into one weekly check.

It's a VISA problem, actually a credit card problem in general. Credit cards will look at the merchant of record, not at what you purchased, for any bonuses or promotions. I've run into this with vacation packages (booking an air/land package and not getting my bonus miles or points with my airline credit card for the flight portion of the purchase since the airline is not the merchant) and even my gas purchases now and then when the station classifies itself as "retail" or "repair" and not as "gas station".

The upshot is that yes, you can get the 0% interest with a TA booking, but Disney must be the merchant of record. Every TA I know, esp. the Disney savvy ones, know to have Disney directly charge your card for you to get this bonus feature. Some larger agencies will process vendor payments by check and charge your card as the merchant as that is their office policy. You did your homework before booking, but did not get the real answer that you needed. Hope you can clear this up. Now any other DISers will know to ask this question.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter