• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Visa - 5% Rewards at "most" Disney Locations...

miss0033

Mouseketeer
We recently returned from a trip, and put lots of charges on our Disney Visa card seeing as we activated the offer for 5% Rewards at "most" Disney locations.

All the gift shops, we had no issues with getting our 10% off $50+ purchase. And all those purchases look like their also Qualified for the 5% in Disney Rewards.
All The quick service locations also showing 5% rewards, the 2 days we did Genie+ are showing as 5% rewards...

NONE of the Table Service locations are showing up as such, all of them show 1% Rewards. What gives? Ale & Compass we even used their 10% off Disney Visa offer, needed a manager, but it ended up working out. But that one is also showing as 1% back. Every Table Service location was over $100, and we had 5 meals, so that should be over $25 in Disney Rewards Points, right? 3 were at resorts, 2 were in parks, and that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Even purchases at the ScreenDoor shop at Boardwalk are showing as 5% rewards.

Via Napoli - 1%
Trattoria al Forno - 1%
Toppolinos Terrace (Character Breakfast) - 1%
Ale & Compass - 1%
Hacienda de San Angel - 1%

Quick service - all 5% Rewards; Regal Eagle Smoke House, Woody's Lunchbox, etc. So what makes the Table Service different and not qualify for the 5% back? I wish I would've known better, because I would've at least used a 2% or 3% cash back card, instead of 1% rewards.

I'm confused, might need to call chase on this one.

EDIT: Also just saw 1 Quick Service; DOCKING BAY 7 showing up as 1% only. Now I am even more confused...

I don't know for sure, but quite possibly those locations are not "soley owned and operated by Disney" which is what differentiates 1% vs 2% on regular purchases. I'd assume that requirement extends to your 5% offer as well.

This reminds me of the AP discount situation. Have to look at the list reeeeal close and specific to see what’s included and what’s not. When I analyzed where we’d most likely eat and shop it wasn’t worth me getting the AP.

For what you’re talking about above, my guess is that the line is drawn based on the underlying ownership of each venue and not as simple as “all QS” for example. 🤷‍♀️

There might be a more detailed list somewhere? Or a way to search each place’s discount?

Every single one of those TS is NOT a Disney restaurant. They are third party. The one exception is Ale & Compass, but but that one is likely an exclusion for this specific offer. Disney does that a lot with these bonus offers.

Every single one of those TS is NOT a Disney restaurant. They are third party. The one exception is Ale & Compass, but but that one is likely an exclusion for this specific offer. Disney does that a lot with these bonus offers.

Interesting, I did not know that. How do you know which ones are owned and operated solely by Disney ahead of time vs which are a 3rd party?

The list for the Disney Visa 10% off dining discount is easy(ish) to find and use. Is that short list the only ones that are Owned and Operated by Disney? Is there a list somewhere else?

When this offer came out I was at Disney, so to test it I paid for myself at Crystal Palace with my card so I could report to the gift card thread about it. The rest of the stuff I put on my magic band. The total on the Magic Band got 5%, Crystal Palace got 1%. I knew that the Magic Band charges should come at 5%, but that it would be a risk with the Crystal Palace charge. But that one was less than $40 so I tested it out (I had enough other charges to max out the promo so it didn't really matter).

credit card statement has not closed yet but not expecting much from our trip last month: all mobile orders that I put on the Dis Visa listed as "food and drink", Genie+ fee and ILL listed as "entertainment". put a couple hundred dollars on my MB at the resort, maybe that will fall under the 5%.

dinner at Hollywood and Vine - bill was over $300, paid with DVisa rewards card and a Disney gift card and 10% was applied to the bill so saved over $30.

This reminds me of the AP discount situation. Have to look at the list reeeeal close and specific to see what’s included and what’s not. When I analyzed where we’d most likely eat and shop it wasn’t worth me getting the AP.

For what you’re talking about above, my guess is that the line is drawn based on the underlying ownership of each venue and not as simple as “all QS” for example. 🤷‍♀️

There might be a more detailed list somewhere? Or a way to search each place’s discount?
I took a few minutes on MDE recently to look at each menu for discounts for our trip in two weeks. It is only about six for us this trip. Most TS but not all have AP and DVisa, not so much DVC. Some have one or the other. It is easy to get confused as to which is which. In October we found few discounts.

I have a significant amount of gift cards bought at 10% cash back for dining. My best plan now is to show my DVC AP and pay with gift cards for TS. Disney Visa is #2 if they don't accept AP. With TS reserved, I can make a note in MDE about how to pay.

I almost always feel like I get screwed on cash back, like you, though I plan well and have done this about 40 times! I give everyone a Disney gift card (10% cash back) for snack purchases. I break my Disney gift cards in amounts I anticipate for TS for instance $500 Le Cellier. If there is anything left LOL it becomes a "snack" card. Motivation is saving $300-400 each trip in dining goes directly to DVC MF's to offset our villas for a couple nights.

Good luck!

credit card statement has not closed yet but not expecting much from our trip last month: all mobile orders that I put on the Dis Visa listed as "food and drink", Genie+ fee and ILL listed as "entertainment". put a couple hundred dollars on my MB at the resort, maybe that will fall under the 5%.

dinner at Hollywood and Vine - bill was over $300, paid with DVisa rewards card and a Disney gift card and 10% was applied to the bill so saved over $30.

Genie+ (individual days, not the whole trip), and ILL Fees both showed as 5% back, at least on mine. All gift shops also showed as 5% cash back, both above and below $50. Which is worth noting, because sometimes if you use one discount (IE Disney Visa 10% off over $50) you can be excluded from another (like 5% Cash Back at most Disney Locations) but in this instance I found them to stack.

The food is just the weird one. Where no table service qualified, and a handful of Quick Service did not as well.

Genie+ (individual days, not the whole trip), and ILL Fees both showed as 5% back, at least on mine. All gift shops also showed as 5% cash back, both above and below $50. Which is worth noting, because sometimes if you use one discount (IE Disney Visa 10% off over $50) you can be excluded from another (like 5% Cash Back at most Disney Locations) but in this instance I found them to stack.

The food is just the weird one. Where no table service qualified, and a handful of Quick Service did not as well.
There really seems to be a randomness to how Disney categorizes places. This happens a lot in Disneyland also. I have a Magic Key (annual pass) and Disneyland is great about giving passholder discounts practically EVERYWHERE on property, but there are some random QS locations and stores that DO NOT give a discount, even though they are very much Disney owned and operated. It's really weird. These also don't get the standard 2% on the Disney Visa as Disney locations. They code as restaurants, which for me is fine because I have the Premiere Visa which also gives 2% at restaurants, but it's interesting to see how these locations come up differently on the credit card statement and also don't offer passholder discounts.

I don't know the inner workings of how they determine any of these things. You just have to go with it.

Related question- would Disneyland Paris count for this? I need to pay off a vacation package balance, and I have the 5% back for “most” Disney purchases.

Related question- would Disneyland Paris count for this? I need to pay off a vacation package balance, and I have the 5% back for “most” Disney purchases.

I would honestly call someone and ask. Maybe at Chase and/or DLP. Because if not, you might only get 1% back. And I am guessing you likely have another card that would offer better rewards on that spending than 1%, if for some reason it does not qualify as 5%.

If your purchase is directly through Disney. I think it is highly likely it would apply. (A recent DCL Deposit, paid through a travel agent qualified for 5% back for us as well). But for a purchase that is (i am assuming) that large, I would call to confirm first.

I would just pay off a ridiculously small amount, and once it posts to your account in a couple days you will have the true answer. I feel like nobody you call would actually know the real answer and you'd possibly end up losing out on rewards.

Are you paying the US site for this or will it have a foreign transaction? I can't remember, since I have others cards with free ft but I don't think the disney cards have free ft. Something to keep in mind. I know it's not uncommon to book DLP on different countries sites to get a better deal.

Where do you find this information? At the top of your statement? I was a little disappointed I didn't seem to get as much back on my purchase in DLR for our last trip in April. I don't know how to tell what charges got what percentage, etc.

Where do you find this information? At the top of your statement? I was a little disappointed I didn't seem to get as much back on my purchase in DLR for our last trip in April. I don't know how to tell what charges got what percentage, etc.

You need to go online and view every transaction and click on them individually to see what percentage you got.

I took a few minutes on MDE recently to look at each menu for discounts for our trip in two weeks. It is only about six for us this trip. Most TS but not all have AP and DVisa, not so much DVC. Some have one or the other. It is easy to get confused as to which is which. In October we found few discounts.

I have a significant amount of gift cards bought at 10% cash back for dining. My best plan now is to show my DVC AP and pay with gift cards for TS. Disney Visa is #2 if they don't accept AP. With TS reserved, I can make a note in MDE about how to pay.

I almost always feel like I get screwed on cash back, like you, though I plan well and have done this about 40 times! I give everyone a Disney gift card (10% cash back) for snack purchases. I break my Disney gift cards in amounts I anticipate for TS for instance $500 Le Cellier. If there is anything left LOL it becomes a "snack" card. Motivation is saving $300-400 each trip in dining goes directly to DVC MF's to offset our villas for a couple nights.

Good luck!
I am just finding this thread and reading about this 10% here. How long is this promotion going on, and you mentioned you used it with gift cards. Can you buy Disney gift cards anywhere with the Disney Visa and get 10% back? Or, am I misunderstanding this whole thing? Thanks

I am just finding this thread and reading about this 10% here. How long is this promotion going on, and you mentioned you used it with gift cards. Can you buy Disney gift cards anywhere with the Disney Visa and get 10% back? Or, am I misunderstanding this whole thing? Thanks
I happened to have a 10% cash back credit card (not Disney Visa) with a supermarket category. I buy Disney GC's along with groceries and stash for trips. I then show my AP card, get a 10% discount and pay with my discounted gift card. I hope that clears it up!

I happened to have a 10% cash back credit card (not Disney Visa) with a supermarket category. I buy Disney GC's along with groceries and stash for trips. I then show my AP card, get a 10% discount and pay with my discounted gift card. I hope that clears it up!
Yes, it does. I have a few CCs to try to get the best rewards. Can I ask what CC was giving. you 10% on groceries? The best I have for that is 2% with some bonus for 5%. I actually never thought of adding gift cards to my grocery store purchase. Very smart!

Yes, it does. I have a few CCs to try to get the best rewards. Can I ask what CC was giving. you 10% on groceries? The best I have for that is 2% with some bonus for 5%. I actually never thought of adding gift cards to my grocery store purchase. Very smart!
yes, I'd like to know as well! Maybe a special cc through an employer, but I've never heard of 10% cash back on groceries. I do have the blue cash preferred and that gives 6% back, but not 10%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter