Disney Visa for onboard charges

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
How are onboard charges processed with the Disney Visa? I know you get the 10% discount on merch, but does it get processed as travel and you get the 0% interest for 6 months also?

Also, the terms state:

10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more.

In order to receive special Disney Cruise Line perks, valid Disney Visa Card must be designated for all onboard purchases at time of purchase for sailings through 12/31/20.

Since everything is charged onto the onboard account, although I have seen them accept gcs in the shops, I'm guessing you can't use a credit card at point of sale, right? Does that mean you HAVE to leave the card on file to get the discount, or can you just use it at Guest Services to pay off your onboard account without leaving it on file, and still get the discount?

You can add money to your onboard account before sailing, up to 3 days before embarkation, and it will given the 6 months @ 0%. Do your best to estimate how much you’ll spend. If you add more than needed, the difference is refunded post cruise. They won’t add money to your onboard account within 3 days of your sailing, and anything spent on board is not given the 0%

As rere101399 said, purchases made onboard do not count for the 0% no interest for 6 months offer, but money put on your account in advance does qualify for that offer.

Yes, in order to get a Disney Visa discount for onboard purchases, you must have the card on file at check-in as your method of payment. You can, however, go to Guest Services and make payments toward your account with another method, such as a gift card.

Just to add, there is some kind of notation on your Room key/card that lets cashiers know to give you the discount (only on purchases over $50) but I would still bring it up when purchasing. I think it’s a little DV (maybe just V) in the corner but I could be misremembering.

Just to add, there is some kind of notation on your Room key/card that lets cashiers know to give you the discount (only on purchases over $50) but I would still bring it up when purchasing. I think it’s a little DV (maybe just V) in the corner but I could be misremembering.
This! They will know in the stores to process your total (if over $50) with a discount even though it is technically being charged to your onboard account because of the "DV" notation in the bottom right corner of your card.

You can also have the gift shop hold a purchase - I did this last time till I reached a $50 charge or more, then waited as late as I could to be sure we had all the items we wanted to maximize the savings.

Yes, a DV in the lower right corner of the KTTW card notates that the Disney Visa is associated with the onboard account.

You can use the DV on the shipboard account and get the 10% discount on shop purchases that reach the designated minimum. If you pre-purchase stateroom credit charged to the card, you can then use the 0% interest program. That does not preclude you receiving the 10% purchase discount, since the discount is applied at the point of sale. The shop cast members have no access to how you ultimately settle your account, so all that’s needed for the 10% discount is to have the card as the designated means of payment. We usually have OBC and a pre-purchased stateroom credit for our account so we might end the cruise with a near zero balance. Any excess balance would then get credited back to the original form of payment.

You can add money to your onboard account before sailing, up to 3 days before embarkation, and it will given the 6 months @ 0%. Do your best to estimate how much you’ll spend. If you add more than needed, the difference is refunded post cruise. They won’t add money to your onboard account within 3 days of your sailing, and anything spent on board is not given the 0%

I'm guessing any unused funds gets refunded? I'll have some onboard credit, will they use those first before any amount I add to my account?

I wondered how they knew. Last time, the CMs in the stores asked me if I was a cardholder, but I didn't have the card on file...I had it with me, but not on file, so I didn't get the discount.

You can also have the gift shop hold a purchase - I did this last time till I reached a $50 charge or more, then waited as late as I could to be sure we had all the items we wanted to maximize the savings.

That is BRILLIANT! Thank you for that. I had no idea!

I'm guessing any unused funds gets refunded? I'll have some onboard credit, will they use those first before any amount I add to my account?
Non-refundable credits (such as those received for onboard bookings made before the policy changed) are used first. Then refundable credits are applied, I think in the order in which they were received. If you're making payments toward your account while onboard, you can check your account and add only what you know you have spent or will spend. If you do end up with more on your account than you spend, refunds will be made to the original payment method. This means that if you pay with gift cards, you need to keep those cards until you're sure the money is spent, and if you use more than one card, you should keep track of the order in which they were used so you know which one was used last. (That's why many people recommend consolidating gift cards if possible.)

Last edited:
Did I understand correctly from other threads:
  • Have Disney Visa on file
  • Get 10% anywhere applicable while on board
  • Pay off with Disney Gift Cards before last night of cruise
  • If the stateroom account hits $500 the credit card on file will be charged

This can work that way correct?

Did I understand correctly from other threads:
  • Have Disney Visa on file
  • Get 10% anywhere applicable while on board
  • Pay off with Disney Gift Cards before last night of cruise
  • If the stateroom account hits $500 the credit card on file will be charged

This can work that way correct?
Yes; however, I'm not 100% sure of what the limit is for getting charged. (i.e. will they ever charge a card a little early.) Last time I knew what my port visit charges were going to be, my Palo brunch, bingo plans, etc. so the first day I put that estimate down in gift cards and ran a credit balance for most of the cruise. Then after my wife spent more than planned, I payed the rest off on the last day with more gift cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter