Disney vs. RCCL

tchrmom

Mickey's Neighbor
We have taken 9 Disney cruises........so that should let you know HOW much we love sailing with The Mouse! However, If we were going to take a Disney cruise this summer......it was going to cost us $6700, w/o plane fare if we were going to do a 7 day. So, with a VERY heavy heart, I booked a 7 day on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. I was expecting this to NOT be as good as a Disney cruise.........after all....who KNOWS customer service like Disney? There are positives to both cruise lines. RCCL could learn a few things from Disney, as could Disney from RCCL.
Embarkation: Both cruise lines do a great job of quickly getting you on the ship. We were eating lunch by 11:30.
Topsiders/Windjammers: Personally, I liked Windjammers better. Better food, and the "flow" of people was better. Their breakfast before disembarking was 100% better than a Topsiders breakfast.
Wait staff: I have been on Disney cruises where I had top notch service.....and I've had cruises where it was so-so. For this cruise on RCCL, I had better than any service that I've had on Disney. That is not to say I could cruise next week, and get so-so service on RCCL. I think it is a gamble on both.
Food: I think RCCL has the upper hand on this one. We never even tried their specialty dining, since the food in the regular dining room was SO good. One night they had a warm chocolate dessert, that I LOVED. (GASP!.....Dare I say it was better than chocolate souffle???) Our waiter noticed that I ate two of them, and raved about them. He made a mental note of this, then talked to his supervisor, the head waiter. Two nights later, when there was nothing "chocolate" on the dessert menu, our waiter brought out 6 of these for us! What agreat surprise......HOWEVER.....on Disney, I've also eaten a Palo souffle in the dining room too as a nice surprise!
Cruise Directors hands down to RCCL here! Allen was EVERYWHERE....in regular clothes, not a stiff officer's uniform. He was on deck, actually participating in the games. He also has a GREAT sense of humor, and makes some pretty funny comments along the way! I can't say enough GOOD things about the RCCL cruise director! Brent and Rachel (Disney) are good.......I just liked Allen better!
Private Island: Hands down......DISNEY! We went to Labadee, Haiti. While they try and make it very nice. Disney CREATED their island. RCCL, just rents this. The bar-b-que isn't nearly as good as Cookies. Also, getting all those people back on the ship was a nightmare! However, the water is just as pretty.
Rooms: Disney has bigger rooms, for sure. However, with the lower price we were able to have 2 adjoining rooms, and that worked out nice. The rooms on The Liberty had enough storage/cubbie holes, that we never needed the over the door shoe holder that I brought. The closets also had lots of shelf room. While we were not in our rooms much, the flat screen tv was nice....and it is easy to check you onboard spending through your tv.
Hallways: Disney does a better job of keeping the halls clear. Room service trays and vacuums are a common sight in the halls, but that didn't impact the trip enough for me to discount RCCL again.
Staying in Touch: RCCL has these "dec" phones. They are like cell phones that you rent from them $25.00 a week for each one. You can call rooms or each other with them. No interferance from others, like walkies! Good Job, RCCL!
Activites: My children are teenagers.....so having the flowrider and rock wall and ice rink were big pluses for us. While they LOVE a Disney cruise, they are not into the characters anymore. The H2O zone and the pools are, in my opinion, better on The Liberty. The adult pool is VERY nice, and Disney should maybe take note of how elegant it is for their next ship. Little kids seemed to never tire of playing in that H2O zone. The family pool was also very nice, and very large.....but then again, it is a larger ship. Until now, we were very satisfied with The Magic.
Adult areas: RCCL should take a lesson from Disney on this one. Disney is VERY good at keeping the adult areas off limits to kids. I think RCCL is too afraid to make someone mad. While it was never bad.....I think they should patrol it more.
Entertainment: Disney has GREAT shows, and so did The Liberty. I saw a wonderful cirque de solie (sp?) show that was fantastic! It was nice to see different comedians than on Disney. (I think if I had to see that talking tennis ball again, I would scream!) Adult shows DO mean adult. There were "f bombs" flying at the 12:15am comedy show. So really, I think both lines have good things to offer here. You just have to decide what is better for you and your family. If you have little ones....you probably wouldn't be at a 12:00 show anyways. By the way.......this ship is jumping 24 hours a day! When my husband and I went to bed at 2:30 the party was just starting!
Coffee: DH and I LOVE our coffee. And, I think Disney has the worst! RCCL offers Seattle's Best, and it is free.
Snack Food: Food on the Grand Promanade is outstanding! Pizza, sandwiches, pasta, salads...WONDERFUL! (Personally...the pizza in Serrentos way beats out Pluto's pizza!) The bakery in Cafe Promanade has some of the best cookies, cakes, brownies that I've ever had. All free! The snacks available all day in Windjammers also was very good. Nachos, fruit, lemonade, tea.......very good.
Childrens Clubs: I'm sorry I can't give you more on this. They do have clubs for different ages....and my kids enjoyed the teen clubs at night. I saw clubs for younger kids. However, I don't THINK they have anything for kids under 3 to do. They have a parent/tot class that you can take young babies to, but parents stay with them. I never saw anything for hourly babysitting....but that was because maybe I wasn't in need of it.
Disembarking: Getting off the ship was a mess.......but that was not RCCL's fault, I think. Customs was VERY busy in Miami. I wonder if it will be easier on The Freedom of The Seas next summer when we take her out of Port Canaveral.
All in all...........both are GREAT cruise lines. If my children were very young....Disney would be the better choice, if I could afford it. However, if your kids are older, and at least 52 inches (to do flowrider).....you will find your money well spent on The Liberty of the Seas. I still love Disney, and look forward to seeing what is on their new ships. However,we rebooked a 7 day western caribbean cruise on RCCL for next June. We got 2 adjoining cabins for 4 people for $5100. I came home and priced the same cruise on The Magic. I tried a cat 10 for 4 people (1 room) and they quoted me $7,061.00. As much as I love Disney, I can't justify the price.
No flames please........I was so sad not to be able to take the Magic this summer. I SO wanted someone's HONEST opinion of The Liberty before I booked. I hope this helps.

UPDATE: Since my original post, RCCL has dropped the price of my cruise several times. I now have 2 interior, adjoining rooms(2 people per room).....deck 7.... each room with a $100.00 onboard credit.....each room was $2,021.00. (7 day/western caribbean with trip insurance) We sail 6/21/09! On 6/7/09....I checked the DCL website. I could get a 7 day western cruise on the Magic, departing 6/27/09, for 4 people, in a cat 10. (one room) for $6,631.60....with trip insurance.

NEW UPDATE: We rebooked while on our 6/09 Freedom cruise. Origianlly, we booked The Oasis. But.....after thinking it over......we decided that we needed to wait for those prices to come down. We switched to The Freedom (coming out of drydock 4/10). We got 2 connecting interior rooms.....each room with $100.00 OBC.....total price for the 4 of us for 7 days.....$4,125.00. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have looked and looked for a good websight to find honest info about this and cant seem to find one i like.

We plan to Cruise NON DISNEY next year and use points in 2010 for another Disney Cruise.

THIS HELPS TREMEDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!

dizzi.........
glad I could help. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

We've done them both too. My kids are 15 and 18 and still like Disney best but we took RCCL Liberty last summer and we are spending a week on the Mexican Riveria in August on RCCL. Cost does make a difference.

Having said that, I talked my sisters with their kids in tow to take a Disney cruise over Christmas 08. None of the three of them have ever cruised and they have kids from 4-16. For a big group with lots of kids - especially for first timers - Disney is best.

Thanks for the honest review! I am trying to talk my brother and his partner to cruise... they want to... but his DH is not a huge Disney fan, plus the cost. I told them I thought Royal would be a great choice for them with 2 teen boys. It sure sounds like it!! I'll let him know. Good service is a must for them... plus good free food with 2 growing boys! :rotfl: They're looking at January 09.

Thanks! I've been considering a cruise as a Christmas gift for the family but can't afford Disney again. I'll definitely look into RCCL.

Well done on an excellent post!
Very well written and fair. The best I have seen for some time on this type of subject :surfweb:
Thanks. I'm sure this info will be very helpful for many of us.

Please can I ask an honest question for an honest answer.
I loved my cruise in May on the Magic and have rebooked for next May. Great price for 7 days...and we ok with that based on our fab trip this year..
My concerns and niggles are re the continuing trends amonst the threads on 2 issues...namely the dress codes (or lack of) and the policing of adult only areas (also in decline....Deck 9 was hard work for us:mad: ) ...both of which are of importance to a Adult Only couple with NO children...........and we like dressing up. Don't get me wrong.we love the Mouse. Always.

But between the 2 cruises. No kids. 50+ adults that love to dress up......not overly into alcohol or gambling..........what do you think!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2
Lyn

Thanks for the review. When I was comparing prices, it was suggested to be sre to compare room size and to take into consideration of Disney bathroom set-up.

I know my oldest (11 1/2) would really enjoy something like you experienced more than the Disney cruise. He would love the florider and rock wall...he has far outgrown the character thing and never even wanted to see any of the show at night. But we have dd who is 4 and SO INTO the whole Disney thing. The characters & princesses...she is the reason we will cruise Disney again. Maybe by the time she's 7 or 8 and out of that make believe/everything is magical phase, I would book for another ship. It is WAY cheaper cruising a non Disney ship, that's for sure.

But between the 2 cruises. No kids. 50+ adults that love to dress up......not overly into alcohol or gambling..........what do you think!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2
Lyn

Hands down......Disney does a better job at keeping adult areas as just that........FOR ADULTS! DH and I did our 20th anniversary cruise last year without the kids on The Wonder, and enjoyed that very much for the same reason you are looking for. I don't want a 5 year old splashing me by the pool! On this trip, I did see a couple of "tweens" trying to jump into the adult pool, but never did get in because I think they FELT all eyes on themselves. No one from RCCL came over......but on Disney, they would have never got close to the pool. Another ADULT couple wheeled their baby in a stroller up to the pool, and again, I think they "felt all eyes on them"......and then they moved on. It was never a problem, really.....but RCCL should, in my opinion, be more proactive.

As for dressing for dinner.........I think more people dress up on RCCL, than on Disney. I saw many more long dresses and tuxes! However, the couple next to us...a twenty something couple came to dinner once in jeans and once IN SHORTS! However, I've seen the same on Disney. If I had to call it....I'd say RCCL is a little more "formal".
Hope this helps!

:worship: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :worship:

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We have been tossing the idea of DCL vs RCCL and your honest views really help. I'm sure that my ds (12) will absolutely love RCCL. Where were LOVE DCL; my ds never liked the kids clubs and there is only so much basketball, shuffle board and ping pong you can play before you are wandering what else is there fun to do...Hhhmmmm...

I'm really excited and cannot wait to share this with my family!

I have a few questions if you dont mind.

1. Do you rotate restaurants?
2. How many formal nights are there? Semi Formal?
3. What is a Florider?
4. Is there a place to get pictures like shutters? And how many picture opportunities are there?
5. What kind of a room did you get? Did you see a verandah room at all?

Dizzi....

You do not rotate for dining. You have the same table and wait staff all week.
There are 2 formal nights....for us, Sunday and Wednesday.
The flowrider is a water surfing machine......sort of. Here is a picture my son took. If you would like a video clip, click below.

http://s308.photobucket.com/albums/kk334/RCCL_Cruzer/?action=view&current=0622081533-1.jpg

They take pictures CONSTANTLY, and you can purchase in the photo gallery.

Our room was a "Q".......but it adjoined to our kids room, also a "Q". They were inside.....but we like to have a dark room. If you go to rccl'S website, look at The Liberty....we were 8499 and 8497. Hope I helped answer everything.
Here is my son on the flowrider!

Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc2DesogV1w

Fran:

Thanks for the objective comparison of DCL v RCCL. Just this afternoon I was checking out the Liberty of the Seas for our 25th anniversary in September 09. There was about a $500-$900 lower price difference on the Liberty when comparing staterooms with DCL. I, too, will be on DCL cruises #9 and 10 in a few months, but I can't justify DCL price hikes for 2009. We wanted to cruise next summer on one of the Torola cruises. A cat. 11 for 2 persons came out to $4000!!! yikes!

All comparisons aside, my heart is with the Wonder and Magic, and we do plan to cruise the Wonder again in 2010 with kids and grandkids.

Thanks, again, Fran.

Jan

We sailed the Caribbean Princess in April 2007 and we just returned from the June 15 Mexican Riviera on DCL. We had sailed DCL in December 2005 and thought it was awesome, this time we realized that the Magic is 10 years old and that the pools are small! The newer ships have so much more to offer, although my family loves Disney and the service. My husband and I both agree that you really can't find that family atmosphere on other cruiselines. We will probably not sail Disney again until the new ships are built. We can almost take 2 cruises for the cost of 1 DCL. My question - does RCCL offer anytime dining? That was one of our favorite things about Princess.

My question - does RCCL offer anytime dining? That was one of our favorite things about Princess.

I don't know about other ships:confused3 .........but on ours there was only early and late seating. I heard someone speculate about RCCL going to that......but I don't know any facts. We had the late seating and prefer that. Since our kids are older, it isn't hard to start dinner at 8:30. It makes the most of your afternoons at sea!

Thank you again for such an insightful report. I'm with you, we love late dining! So much more time to play. I think that we will be trying the Liberty in the very near future.

Fran:

Thanks for the objective comparison of DCL v RCCL. Just this afternoon I was checking out the Liberty of the Seas for our 25th anniversary in September 09. There was about a $500-$900 lower price difference on the Liberty when comparing staterooms with DCL. I, too, will be on DCL cruises #9 and 10 in a few months, but I can't justify DCL price hikes for 2009. We wanted to cruise next summer on one of the Torola cruises. A cat. 11 for 2 persons came out to $4000!!! yikes!

All comparisons aside, my heart is with the Wonder and Magic, and we do plan to cruise the Wonder again in 2010 with kids and grandkids.

Thanks, again, Fran.

Jan

I don't know if you are members of AAA, but they have some good prices for the July 2009 Tortola cruise. For a Cat. 10 = $3255 for 2 adults - no ins or transfers, but includes the tips, $75 stateroom credit , and no fuel surcharge. Just a thought in case you wanted to DCL.

Thanks to the OP for posting this -- we loved our Disney cruises, but we wanted to cruise to other places than the ones Disney usually goes, so we booked the Radiance of the Seas for a 14-night trip in November that goes through the Panama Canal and then down to Chile in South America. This trip will accomplish both crossing the canal and "crossing the line" (Equator) that I want to do. We also want to take an Alaska cruise, and a European river cruise, and a trans-Atlantic cruise, and want to sail on an actual sailboat -- basically, we want to cruise a lot. LOL! While Disney is fabulous, Disney doesn't really offer a lot of itineraries, and when they do have a special one (like through the Panama Canal, or to Europe) they charge SO much more than other lines for the same itinerary that I can't justify paying it. Of course, now it's just DH and I since our youngest just turned 18, so we don't have little ones. I know if mine were still little, I'd choose Disney more and put off the other cruises until they were older, but now that I am older, I'm a'sailing other lines. LOL! Anyway, great thread!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Thank you for posting a very informative and fair review. I was wondering
about a lot of these things. We did rebook on Disney and were planning to
move the trip once the 2010 dates open up. But I keep second guessing
myself because I would really rather go once school is out rather than take
the kids out of school for a week in May and the prices are MUCH more
affordable on RC during summer months. Also, my kids are at the age
I'm sure they would enjoy the flo-rider, rock wall, etc. I'm just not sure.
Now I have to show this to everyone else .... we'll all have something to
think about now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter