Disney VS Universal

Tymeece

Memphis Mouse
Currently on a Disney/Universal trip. Usually I am only a Disney guy. At least 2 visits a year. I go to Universal every few years. This year I went there mostly because my daughters’ desires. Just wanted to share what I miss at Disney after spending time at Universal. The ease of planning and not using my phone all day. It was such an amazing feeling and I enjoyed more time with my family. Going to Disney one day and then Universal I realized this almost instantly. At Disney, I was always on my phone: lightning lanes, mobile order, checking times, Genie+, etc… My day was ruled by my phone. At Universal, I hardly used my phone and spent more time talking and interacting with my family. I did have express pass which helped that out but I didn’t have to worry about anything. It was so freeing. I am still a crazy Disney fan but it made me sad that I feel like that at the place I love. I will say cast members, service levels(especially food service), and magical moments at Disney completely trump Universal but man I miss having my phone in my pocket or backpack. When I was back at Disney I just stepped back and watched crowds and so many had their eyes into a phone. I’m pretty sure that is not what Walt would have wanted.
Just wanted to rant for a moment…thanks

Thanks for sharing your experience. Based on feedback here, I don't think you are the only one who feels this way. We have yet to take the kids to Universal, but I am looking forward to going in the near future.

Our family was 90-10 WDW, now it's 60-40 US. I totally agree about the phone and I will add another big issue and that is now I need to get up early to be able to even use G+ to it's full extent. I read a post a couple of weeks back where they said that they are only on their phone for a few seconds at a time, what total hogwash and misinformation. In regards to CM's vs TM's, I no longer find WDW being that much better, and a few times actually worse. I have had some GREAT TMs on our last couple of US trips, reminded me of the older days at WDW. I also wish a lot of QS restaurants were like the Leaky Cauldron where you order and then they find a table for you. Sooooo much better than walking around looking for an empty table and trying to beat someone else to get it. Our DDs wanted to do another Thanksgiving back at WDW, so hopefully I will have a good review:)

I just did my first trip to Orlando. 4 park days at Disney and 4 park at universal. I agree universal was far less stressful. In universal I had express pass for the first 2 days (stayed 1 night at a deluxe) then moved to cabana bay for a hurricane. The day before the hurricane in the rain was brilliant my family did volicoster 7 times as a walk on and haggards motor cycle 3 times.

However I liked Disney a lot better. The theming was better (except Harry Potter that was on par with Disney) I liked the rides better. I did not get motion sick on a single Disney ride but got so motion sick at universal I threw up on the bus. The food was better at Disney. I have an allergy and did not get sick in Disney because it was so clear what food had allergens. However I was triggered in universal and had a day with a migraine.

Disney had more magic and universal had more thrill.

I am looking forward going to Disney again. I don’t see my self going to universal. Of course my thrill seeking daughter my request to return.

Universal does a few things better for sure. But after a recent 4 day trip to Universal Orlando, staying at the Portofino(did not care for it), we quickly came to the realization that Disney does almost everything better.

Universal is better at....

1. Value resorts
2. Refillable drinks
3. Express pass
4. Harry Potter is THE BEST LAND in the US right now
5. Water parks

...in IMO Disney crushes them everywhere else. But we'll see in 2025!!!

Universal does a few things better for sure. But after a recent 4 day trip to Universal Orlando, staying at the Portofino(did not care for it), we quickly came to the realization that Disney does almost everything better.

Universal is better at....

1. Value resorts
2. Refillable drinks
3. Express pass
4. Harry Potter is THE BEST LAND in the US right now
5. Water parks

...in IMO Disney crushes them everywhere else. But we'll see in 2025!!!
I prefer Batuu, Pandora, World Showcase, Africa, and Asia over Hogsmeade. It's great but those lands provide more robust experiences that hold up to multiple visits better. Diagon Alley otoh is way overrated, and I'd put half of the island of adventure lands ahead of it, and even some sea world and busch gardens Williamsburg lands ahead of it - though it's obviously the best land in that park.

I agree with every other point you make though, with Volcano Bay blowing anything else out of the, uh, water?

I'm going to add one more though: proximity of resorts. Everything at Universal is so close together. Very little planning was needed to get around. If all else fails walking is almost always an option.

There nothing more immersive and themed on point as the Potterverse anywhere.
Park to park , with fewer really TS choice UO loses food but the close proximity of Citywalk about makes up for it.
Disney has more characters but UO's are more accessible.
UO does have more value potential but it's tricky to navigate too.
Epcot festivals are unmatched anywhere.
For young kids Disney is hands down, adolescents and young adults likely will prefer UO. Adults are probably about split.

There nothing more immersive and themed on point as the Potterverse anywhere.
Park to park , with fewer really TS choice UO loses food but the close proximity of Citywalk about makes up for it.
Disney has more characters but UO's are more accessible.
UO does have more value potential but it's tricky to navigate too.
Epcot festivals are unmatched anywhere.
For young kids Disney is hands down, adolescents and young adults likely will prefer UO. Adults are probably about split.
WWOHP, Diagon Alley in particular, outshines any land at WDW.

Galaxy’s Edge is the next best themed land in Orlando.

Africa at DAK is pretty good too, as is Pandora.

Other lands at WDW and UO are as good or better than most lands at other theme parks outside of Orlando.

But WWOHP, Galaxy’s Edge, Africa, and Pandora are so good that they make some lands at WDW and UO look just ordinary.

I'm not gong to put down the theming of diagon alley, but there's simply not enough to do there. One ride, and it's a screen ride, not as good as the screen ride on Hogsmeade. One restaurant. Several shops but they're over crowded and sell about 15 distinct products on average. Going one time it amazes, but multiple visits?

I'm not gong to put down the theming of diagon alley, but there's simply not enough to do there. One ride, and it's a screen ride, not as good as the screen ride on Hogsmeade. One restaurant. Several shops but they're over crowded and sell about 15 distinct products on average. Going one time it amazes, but multiple visits?
I don’t disagree but you could similarly pick apart other lands.

For example…

Pandora? One quick service restaurant, a screen ride, and It’s a Small World meets blue aliens.

The point is, how immersive is the land?

WWOHP, Pandora, GE, and Africa are all visually immersive. WWOHP, GE, and Africa have stores that are well-themed and add to the experience.

All offer some form of live entertainment, whether as simple as characters or as complex as a full show.

All have food options that all appropriate to the story.

But of these, WWOHP does the best job of pulling elements out of the books and films, and making them real for you to experience first-hand.

OP, I get what you are saying. We have left disney behind, sadly, because we were a BIG disney family for years. Now we are going to Universal and to Sea World andother places in Florida. I love the ease of getting around Universal, no stress for us. We go where we want and do what we want when we want. Imagine that? We are confirmed Universal people now, but disney doesn't care.

Great to hear your perspective. Formerly Disney repeat Annual Passholders; taking a year off and become Uni Annual Passholders. I have a 16 and 20 year old; older kiddo LOVED everything Harry Potter for years.

We did a SeaWorld parks/Discovery Cove trip this summer, and staked out Universal before buying our passes. We also did a resort/Disney Springs walkabout. We found the Cast Member quality at Uni to be surprisingly good; and the proximity to the parks of the Universal Resorts is super exciting- we won't need buses at all!!! We are getting free Express Passes for our Spring Break trip due to our resort; but doing Cabana Bay for a short Christmas trip. Since there is less to do, we aren't worried about seeing everything. We also appreciate the proximity of the dining options at City Walk; our dining experiences at Disney lately have been decidedly average.

I love the memories and "magic" we've experienced over the years at Disney, but the "charge more for less", the overcrowding, the CRAZY prices, and the arrogance of management decisions led to our decision to "vote with our feet" and try something else. I hope Disney figures out again what made them special. Until then, we're trying something new!

Last edited:
I don’t disagree but you could similarly pick apart other lands.

For example…

Pandora? One quick service restaurant, a screen ride, and It’s a Small World meets blue aliens.

The point is, how immersive is the land?

WWOHP, Pandora, GE, and Africa are all visually immersive. WWOHP, GE, and Africa have stores that are well-themed and add to the experience.

All offer some form of live entertainment, whether as simple as characters or as complex as a full show.

All have food options that all appropriate to the story.

But of these, WWOHP does the best job of pulling elements out of the books and films, and making them real for you to experience first-hand.
For me I just know we've been to diagon alley three times and each subsequent time has been a diminishing experience. I have not felt that at all about Hogsmeade, Batuu or Pandora, and certainly not Africa, Asia and World Showcase where the experience is always a little different - and I've been to all of those a lot more times than DA. Of them I suppose Pandora is almost as static, especially since most days of the year don't allow guests to experience it at night, but if and when we return to consistent evening hours at AK that alone puts it ahead of DA in terms of repeated experience. Just my opinion.

I prefer Batuu, Pandora, World Showcase, Africa, and Asia over Hogsmeade. It's great but those lands provide more robust experiences that hold up to multiple visits better. Diagon Alley otoh is way overrated, and I'd put half of the island of adventure lands ahead of it, and even some sea world and busch gardens Williamsburg lands ahead of it - though it's obviously the best land in that park.
I have to completely agree here. But I would also put some other lands at WDW over the Wizarding World at US/IOA. Sure it's the best themed area at USO (not so difficult)...

That's one of the major reasons. But there is also one important other. At WDW there are a lot of areas I always discover a new detail there, I didn't notice before, although I've been there many times before. And I'm not only talking about Hidden Mickeys.

For example: I'm a huge Muppets-Fan and at my first visit 2015 I've been there at least three hours and took pictures of every detail. But also three visits and several hours later there were minor details (i.e. the Constantine poster) I've overlooked before.

I'm also a "Potter-Head" but guess what, after my second visit there (Note the first was not long) there were no details I've overlooked. After my 3rd visit, I've even watched some videos and read some reviews, but no I didnt't overlooked anything - there simply was no more.

This love for small details is what Disney is doing better than everyone else...

Last edited:
I have completely agree here. But I was also put some other lands at WDW over the Wizarding World at US/IOA. Sure it's the best themed area at USO (not so difficult)...

That's one of the major reasons. But there is also one important other. At WDW there a lot of areas I discover a new detail, I didn't notice before, although I've been there many times before. And I'm not only talking about Hidden Mickeys.

For example: I'm a huge Muppets-Fan and at my first visit 2015 I've been there at least three hours and took pictures of every detail. But also three visits and several hours later there were minor details (i.e. the Constantine poster).

I'm also a "Potter-Head" but guess what, after my second visit there (Note the first was not long) there were no details I've overlooked. After my 3rd visit, I've even watched some videos and read some reviews, but no I didnt't overlooked anything - there simply was no more.

This love for small details is what Disney is doing better than everyone else...
So true! And now that you point that out it speaks to another reason why Pandora holds up better on repeat visits: the areas "flora" is so detailed and so diverse it feels new every single time. I can sit in the garden they have on a stone bench and just let my eyes wander around and discover something new and interesting.

Our family feelings about Pandora area are like posts about Diagon Alley. The first couple of times it's ooh and awe, but since then it's just ok. We find so much more detail in Diagon Alley with the store fronts signs, interactive windows etc. then we do with Pandora. The big advantage for WDW is they have 4 parks vs 2 and US will not be able to match up equally there. As for resorts, we love WDW themes but as far as bang for your buck, US resorts are by far better than WDW resorts, IMO.

Our family feelings about Pandora area are like posts about Diagon Alley. The first couple of times it's ooh and awe, but since then it's just ok. We find so much more detail in Diagon Alley with the store fronts signs, interactive windows etc. then we do with Pandora. The big advantage for WDW is they have 4 parks vs 2 and US will not be able to match up equally there. As for resorts, we love WDW themes but as far as bang for your buck, US resorts are by far better than WDW resorts, IMO.
Pandora is visually appealing but Diagon Alley has so much more to experience.

Besides, the last time we were at Diagon Alley, we closed down the Leaky Caldron since they were closing the park early for Hollywood Horror Nights!

1668479467166.png

1668479135477.png

1668479193887.png

Pandora is visually appealing but Diagon Alley has so much more to experience.

Besides, the last time we were at Diagon Alley, we closed down the Leaky Caldron since they were closing the park early for Hollywood Horror Nights!

View attachment 718816

View attachment 718814

View attachment 718815
I forgot about the Leaky Caldron, they by far have the best procedure from ordering to sitting at a table. You order and then instead of wandering around looking for a table, you stand by a TM and they have staff throughout the restaurant letting them know where the next open table is. I wish all CS restaurants were like this.

Pandora at night after dinner @ Tiffins is worth a walkthrough with or without riding anything. The warm spicy food in our winter with early sunsets is pretty spectacular. During the summer you don't get the full effect as it's light til close pretty much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter