• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney will post Alligator warning signs and fences

Of course they are, as they should have done long ago. And yes, I too will roll my eyes as all the mouth breathers tell us that everyone should just know that alligators are coming up to the beach at these resorts where Disney knows and encourages literally thousands of kids a day to collect buckets of water at the edge of the beach to build their sand castles.

Of course they are, as they should have done long ago. And yes, I too will roll my eyes as all the mouth breathers tell us that everyone should just know that alligators are coming up to the beach at these resorts where Disney knows and encourages literally thousands of kids a day to collect buckets of water at the edge of the beach to build their sand castles.
Where does Disney encourage kids to collect buckets of water?

In my experience, it's what kids do on a beach. By encouraging kids to be on the beach, and by selling and giving buckets, that's what's going to happen. I've never seen a kid swim on that or any other Disney beach, but I've seen many many kids play at the edge, including during movie nights. I've never let my kids do it, but I have been on that beach for movie night and in a million years and it wouldn't have occurred to me to consider alligators coming up there. Glad they're doing the right thing now.

In my experience, it's what kids do on a beach. By encouraging kids to be on the beach, and by selling and giving buckets, that's what's going to happen. I've never seen a kid swim on that or any other Disney beach, but I've seen many many kids play at the edge, including during movie nights. I've never let my kids do it, but I have been on that beach for movie night and in a million years and it wouldn't have occurred to me to consider alligators coming up there. Glad they're doing the right thing now.
There is a beach with no swimming signs. I don't see signs that say come kids play on the beach. So I don't think Disney is encouraging kids to play on a beach. Disney did no more than provide the beach. It's likely the kids themselves or the parents that want to go to the beach.

You're right. Not encouraging kids to play there at all by hosting movie night there and watching as kids play there by the hundreds every day. At least Disney has sense enough to realize they should be doing better and will now start to do better. If I put an ice cream truck on my lawn, hang a "No walking on the grass" sign, and then watch as kids come on to my lawn for ice cream every single day, you better believe that's an invitation no matter what my sign says. Sorry you don't see it that way. Opinions vary, but again glad to see that the only opinion that matters here has predictably and quickly decided they need better signage.

Am I the only one who sees the parallels between this situation and the novel Jaws? When I read that book I stupidly thought , in my youthful innocence , that even in a work of fiction how absurd it was that greed would be put above public safety. Who would do that? I guess now I know....DISNEY! I will say it again, we were lulled into a false sense of security thinking nothing bad happens at Disney and that was the feeling that the big corporation wanted to achieve. YEAH I know that greed before public safety is a theme which has been repeated over and over in history but somehow it is just so much more sickening in this situation. I do not care if they put a million signs up and electrified fences all around the property, reports surfaced today that they KNEW there were alligators in the lagoon and failed to at the very least put up signs as a warning. NO magic is going to bring back that baby or ever help that family to forget.

You're right. Not encouraging kids to play there at all by hosting movie night there and watching as kids play there by the hundreds every day. At least Disney has sense enough to realize they should be doing better and will now start to do better. If I put an ice cream truck on my lawn, hang a "No walking on the grass" sign, and then watch as kids come on to my lawn for ice cream every single day, you better believe that's an invitation no matter what my sign says. Sorry you don't see it that way. Opinions vary, but again glad to see that the only opinion that matters here has predictably and quickly decided they need better signage.
Disney hosts movies at all of the resorts. This has never been a problem before. Unfortunately it takes events like this to change things.

I doubt that Disney for one second thought that anyone would be attacked in this manner. I'm a very vocal critic of the company but I think that assuming that they knew this could happen and didn't care is a bit over the top. Even if they didn't care for moral reasons they would have to know that the publicity would be awful.

Am I the only one who sees the parallels between this situation and the novel Jaws? When I read that book I stupidly thought , in my youthful innocence , that even in a work of fiction how absurd it was that greed would be put above public safety. Who would do that? I guess now I know....DISNEY! I will say it again, we were lulled into a false sense of security thinking nothing bad happens at Disney and that was the feeling that the big corporation wanted to achieve. YEAH I know that greed before public safety is a theme which has been repeated over and over in history but somehow it is just so much more sickening in this situation. I do not care if they put a million signs up and electrified fences all around the property, reports surfaced today that they KNEW there were alligators in the lagoon and failed to at the very least put up signs as a warning. NO magic is going to bring back that baby or ever help that family to forget.
Yes there is a false sense of security at Disney but what can Disney do about that now? It's Florida there are alligators in large bodies of water. Disney does have a team of people that monitors the gators and removes them pretty routinely from the lakes. Unfortunately you can't get rid of them all. Even if they put up signs that there are alligators that doesn't prevent this attack necessarily.

There is a beach with no swimming signs. I don't see signs that say come kids play on the beach. So I don't think Disney is encouraging kids to play on a beach. Disney did no more than provide the beach. It's likely the kids themselves or the parents that want to go to the beach.
Do you not have children? It really is hard to miss the beach at the GF. You don't need signs of encouragement-the youngest kids can't read-they see water, sand, bucket, and that's what they do. Sand boxes are the same thing-kids going to fill up water and build stuff.

Do you not have children? It really is hard to miss the beach at the GF. You don't need signs of encouragement-the youngest kids can't read-they see water, sand, bucket, and that's what they do. Sand boxes are the same thing-kids going to fill up water and build stuff.
No I don't have kids. I'm 18 I understand being a kid as I was once one. I liked playing in sand myself as a kid. However my point is putting up a alligator warning sign along the water like the no swimming sign is that going to prevent kids from playing on the beach? No I don't think so.

I think the sign gives notice to the parents. (which they probably already have now) But, 10 years from now, will parents remember? Everyone has selective memory.

I think maybe that is the crux of this whole debate and argument everywhere-those with kids, those without, and people from the area and not. If I didn't have kids I might think "why was a kid playing in alligator infested water). I have 2 little boys and they play differently then I did. I can envision how my 2 year old approaches things and just know what I'd need to be pulling him away from. In order to do a castle the sand needs to be wet. At our local sandbox, there's a water fountain. Once a bucket arrives some kids is getting water.

That being said, I really am happy about the signs. I'd definitely be pulling my kids away or encouraging other play if I know there are alligators there. I now know lots about alligators that I didn't know before.

Most kids play on the beaches in open during the day, but this kid was in the water at night. It would have still have been dangerous even if the gator hadn't attack or if there wasn't any gators. Drowning at night or something else could have happened.
My understanding is the parents were right there. The water was up to his ankles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter