Disney Wish inaugural sailing.

I was on the maiden voyage--for the public--for the Dream. ( My family is platinum) I am not sure I would do it again. The staff was out of sorts, discombobulated and stressed. Nothing really flowed, like the other cruises I had been on and there was a sense of "sweat and distress" in a lot of the procedures..i.e., serving food, serving wine/water, getting the passengers on the ship, getting them off the ship. It was higher priced than the cruises that came afterward. I have been on the Dream five times since that maiden voyage and those other voyages were much more pleasant and relaxing. I did, however, get some awesome memoribilia from the maiden voyage and lots of memories from being with family and bragging rights to say...I was on that voyage.

I just got off the Dream last week and our Palo server as well as our server in the main dining told us the new ship--the ship name wasn't announced at that point--would take over the Dream itinerary of 3, 4 and 5 night cruises. and these particular staff members were going to the new ship, so the new ship had on seasoned employees.

I thought the current rumors were that the Wish would take over the Fantasy’s 7 night itineraries and the Fantasy would take over the Dream’s 3 and 4 nighters as the Fantasy needs to be shifted to th shorter routes due to its propulsion system issues.

And that the Dream was likely going to start being rotated to the Wonder’s Alaskan routes.
I would love to see the Dream come to the West Coast!

I was on the maiden voyage--for the public--for the Dream. ( My family is platinum) I am not sure I would do it again. The staff was out of sorts, discombobulated and stressed. Nothing really flowed, like the other cruises I had been on and there was a sense of "sweat and distress" in a lot of the procedures..i.e., serving food, serving wine/water, getting the passengers on the ship, getting them off the ship. It was higher priced than the cruises that came afterward. I have been on the Dream five times since that maiden voyage and those other voyages were much more pleasant and relaxing. I did, however, get some awesome memoribilia from the maiden voyage and lots of memories from being with family and bragging rights to say...I was on that voyage.

I just got off the Dream last week and our Palo server as well as our server in the main dining told us the new ship--the ship name wasn't announced at that point--would take over the Dream itinerary of 3, 4 and 5 night cruises. and these particular staff members were going to the new ship, so the new ship had on seasoned employees.
Wooohoo! I love the shorter cruises because you can combine them with a longer WDW stay, but we've been on the dream twice and I am probably the only person here who has zero interest in seeing BATB again (too scary for my kids with the wolves and the angry yelling beast, which meant I was too stressed out to enjoy it much). I would love more short cruises but with a different ship.

About 20 months ago DCL was relooking at their Castaway Club program with changes allegedly forthcoming. Then, nothing happened! I would suspect when we get closer to being able to book sailings on the Disney Wish, they will move forward with changes. I speculate they will add a “number of nights” sailed to the program, without changing the basic structure. Think of this as Platinum Plus, which will better recognize guests who are significantly beyond the 10 cruises required for Platinum (there was a couple with greater than 100 on our cruise this summer). The current program has many more Platinums than can be managed for new sailings, inaugural sailings and the like. That will make booking the inaugural sailing on the Wish a nightmare. DCL would not take away any current Platinum benefits, they will just add a new layer on top. The airlines have made similar changes to their reward programs.

This rumor was started by a Cruise Director! Like all rumors, take it with a grain of salt. But, this one makes some sense given forthcoming new ships. We would like to sail on the Wish during its inaugural year, not sure about inaugural sailing based on what I am reading here.

I was on the maiden voyage--for the public--for the Dream. ( My family is platinum) I am not sure I would do it again. The staff was out of sorts, discombobulated and stressed. Nothing really flowed, like the other cruises I had been on and there was a sense of "sweat and distress" in a lot of the procedures..i.e., serving food, serving wine/water, getting the passengers on the ship, getting them off the ship.

When DIS Unplugged did a podcast about the Dream launch, Pete & Co. reported experiences very similar to yours.

I'm not sure I'd want to be on the first few sailings for this very reason. I'd rather wait for all the kinks and bugs to be worked out.

think it replaces the fantasy imo. most cruise lines put the newest ships on the week long money routes.
DCL makes more money from the Dream cruises than the Fantasy cruises. They cost more per night, and tend to have higher occupancy, as more families will do a shorter cruise, particularly as an add-on to a WDW trip.

I was on the maiden voyage--for the public--for the Dream... I am not sure I would do it again. The staff was out of sorts, discombobulated and stressed. Nothing really flowed, like the other cruises I had been on and there was a sense of "sweat and distress" in a lot of the procedures...
I also imagine that at this point in DCL history with so many veteran cruisers, the inaugural & other initial sailings would be overrun with the "gotta get the new DCL experience" crowd madly running around trying to sample everything, & that the cruise would be less relaxing for that reason.

I won't mind waiting several months after the inaugural sailing to sail on the Wish.

We were on the 4th Fantasy sailing open to the public. It was billed as the Inauguaral Eastern Caribbean, which it was as the ship hadn’t been to those ports yet. The only differences were the ports had some special welcome Fantasy signs and there was some Inaugural merchandise in the gift shops. Pretty sure the Inaugural merchandise was there for the whole first year though. I am pretty sure we were still silver and didn’t have any trouble booking. There wasn’t any special pricing other than it was a little more expensive because it was a new and bigger ship. I think we used an OBB, but we may have only gotten the credit, not the 10% off. The ship ran smoothly, no issues at all. I think they pull a lot of staff from the other ships so not everyone is new. Also, the kinks are pretty much worked out by the time the public sails what with the sea trials, the transatlantic crossing, and the media/special guest cruise. Just my experience though. Having said all of that, we are planning to be on the Inaugural Wish if possible🤞

Pretty sure the Inaugural merchandise was there for the whole first year though.

It was. We were on the Fantasy later in her inaugural year and there was still stuff available. I'm pretty sure I recall reading that there was special Maiden Voyage merchandise available for that specific sailing.

I was on the maiden voyage on the Fantasy and booked that trip when I was sailing on the Wonder which was much later than opening booking day. If I recall the booking came with certain restrictions... no discount, you had to pay a penalty if you made any changes almost anything like your stateroom, number of guests, etc. regardless if you reached the PIF date. I have to admit the cruise was really pricey but well worth it. I would love to do it again with the new ships but I'm guessing it's probably two or maybe even three times as much as I paid. I will definitely take a look when the booking window opens.

Last edited:
Is it broken?

Many people seem to think so based on the frequent reports people make here. We've never experienced any unusual vibration on the Fantasy. The post I was replying to spoke of a known issue although I don't recall ever seeing any official confirmation. So if there is, in fact, an identified problem then fixing it seems the proper thing to do. Granted it can be easier said than done on equipment of that scale.

We sailed B2B on the Dream’s 2nd and 3rd public sailings. You could definitely tell the crew was still getting used to this new class of ship. We also sailed the Fantasy in the fall of it’s inaugural year. I think the process was smoother on the Fantasy because they learned from their mistakes from the launch of the Dream.

Thanks for helping me decide about the inaugural. I pretty much had my heart set on it but reading about issues etc I’m tempted not too and just sail on her within the first 6 months.

Personally wouldn’t buy any inaugural merchandise though as I wouldn’t have been on the inaugural. I know it’s silly but things like that matter to me.

I thought the current rumors were that the Wish would take over the Fantasy’s 7 night itineraries and the Fantasy would take over the Dream’s 3 and 4 nighters as the Fantasy needs to be shifted to th shorter routes due to its propulsion system issues.

And that the Dream was likely going to start being rotated to the Wonder’s Alaskan routes.

The Dream is several feet too tall to fit under the Bridge of the Americas, which crosses the Panama Canal, so it will absolutely not be taking over Alaska routes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter