Disney with a family of 6

TBGOES2DISNEY

DIS Veteran
The price of Disney keeps going up for us as my kids move into different price brackets. In the past, we've been lucky enough to stay for 6-9 nights, which was great! However, while I could still afford to stay on sight, I don't know if I really want to pour so much money into a vacation.

When we were too large to fit in a value, we moved up to moderate at Alligator Bayou. Now that we're too large to fit there, we would have to get two value rooms. I'm really not willing to pay for the cost of a suite.

So, the rumor mill is saying that there may be no free dining for values. It was already a bummer that it was quick service only. So anyway, I'm considering staying off site. Of course, we'd lose some on site perks. We'd have to pay for meals OOP (probably wouldn't do any table service). We'd have to pay to park at the parks.

So I'm just curious what other larger families do? Do you find it a better value to stay on sight? Is it only a better value with free dining? What if there is no free dining? Do you find it's still a better value to stay off site?

Love to hear opinions either way! Thanks!

During my dozens and dozens of hours of research, I learned that free dining isn't what it's cracked up to be, resort discounts are often a better value. We're staying off-site, doing one TS and one QS OOP every day, and we will still be coming in under what we would pay staying on-site. (parking fees included) It's just a matter of finding a really great off-site resort property. We are also a family of 6.

Hi, fellow big family!
You can see by my times-up ticker, that we are camping onsite, in a matter of days. We don't have an RV, (yet). That's one way to stay onsite.

We will be driving down and renting a furnished pop up. Staying 2 weeks, parks half the time, visiting resorts, downtown disney, canoeing, archery, ponyrides, biking, swiming at Fort Wilderness on off Park days. :hippie:We have decided to stay onsite at the values only with free dining deals and short trips. This will be a long one.
We will also be doing a split stay, with a Windsor Hills condo visit at the tail end, renting from a lovely family and 'resting up and cooling down' from Disney.

If camping isn't your thing, try BC or WH. I've discovered that, in the case of a big fam, off site can be wonderful. :cool1: The pros, despite what 'everybody' says, can out weigh the cons, hands down, happily. Just choose your route and enjoy!:banana:

Maybe do one of the off-site hotels near Downtown DIsney so you can take advantage of the transportation. You can just walk over.

I'm not a disney veteran as i've only been 2 times. But we are planning on a visit in sept and i found a 2 bedroom condo thru vacation strategies for basicly the same price as a value room. Bonnet creek is surrounded by disney and it has a full kitchen and laundry, so we can cook our meals which saves money and pack less clothes since we are flying. I think they have 3+ bedroom units avaliable so check them out online.

I was thinking about staying onsite in a value hoping for dining because we have never done the DDP but decided staying in such a small space wasn't a good idea for us.

Price out your vacation options both ways, and include $14 a day for disney parking and see which option works for your budget

Our story is the same as yours. We did the value, French Quarter, then moved to the alligator @ POR and this year we book AOA. It is expensive but we were able to get a bounce back offer last year so we will get free qucik service. It's a sore subject since we paid less @ POR and were able to get regular dining plan included. I think this may be our last trip for a few years.

We do cut back in other areas like bring to the parks snacks and drink by ordering from Garden Grocer. We pack breakfast items in our luggage while home. We also do a photpass share. Work a few extra shifts a month.

It's hard to decide 2 value vs suite BUT for our family size and ages of the kids, on site works best. We didn't mind being cramed ina POR room since we basically just slept there. Wish we could still fit. Being able to use Magical Express, Disney busses, no vehicle rental, EMH is a relief. We did decide to splurge on a AOA suite, we work hard for our money but have a lot of stress with medical problems. It's nice to think and plan our Disney trip.

We're a family of 6 and I can honestly say once we stayed off-site the first time we wondered why we didn't do it sooner. We rent a vacation home with a private pool. Something like this: http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/...lorida-vacation-rental-villa-proID-61533.html or this: http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/32411.html?promoType=none.

There's plenty of room for all of us to spread out and having a private pool is wonderful. We typically have a big breakfast, hit the parks and bring our own waters and snacks. Depending on the time of year and park hours we'll either eat a late lunch/early dinner in the parks and stay until close (if they close early) or go back to the house around 1 pm for a swim/rest and lunch/dinner and go back to the parks at night (if they're open until 9 pm +).

We are a family of 6 and we stay off-site at Windsor Hills. I don't feel like we're missing out on anything.

We can make it from our townhouse to the TTC center in about 5 minutes.

And we have a 3 bedroom townhouse with a full kitchen, a washer & dryer, and a private splash pool for $100 a night.

Can't beat it.

Another family of 6 and another vote for Windsor Hills. Last year we stayed at a 2 BR condo for $575 for the whole week. Can't beat it. Other advantages are being able to save money on food by eating breakfast and some other meals at the condo. A full kitchen, washer and dryer, and extra living space makes a huge difference with a large family.

We are a family of 6 going for the first time...a few things I have been mulling over while waiting on announcement of fall specials..

1) Renting DVC points --- if you are patient and keep a vigil you can often times get them for about $10/point. OKW is 181 points in Sept. for 6 nights (Su-Sa). For tickets looking at option of doing the YES program. It ends up saving us about $400 on tickets. Then purchasing DDP out of pocket (going 1 q/t/s a night).

2) Anticipating a 30% off stay (ie what the current promotion is)...pricing out the vacation using the same type of stay (Su-Sa), with tickets, and DDP (again 1 q/t/s).

3) Pricing out options at full rack rate with tickets and playing on Free DDP.

4) Pricing out the various off property place.

Another option to consider is Wilderness Lodge Cabins. They are slightly more than the Family Suites, but sleep 6). Also, Club level of AKL 1 bedroom suit sleeps 6.

We are a family of 9. Soon to be 10. We are staying on site for the first and last time as a family. I had originally planned a kid free trip but due to babysitting issues kids have to come. We are doing two value rooms (baby is 2) and at this point due to food expenses not sure how many park days we will get. We are only staying for a weekend. Hoping to take advantage of the FL 3 day discover disney tickets. We usually stay off site and eat CS only. We have only eaten once at crystal palace as a family of 7. I am planning a mother daughter trip for NOJ and we will stay onsite. Its a special treat. And any other onsite trips will be special or tent camping since that will fit us all and is cheaper than value. Plus we can cook at our site too.

And, Missy13d69, have been reading and enjoyed your pre TR! The dark side isn't so bad!;)

Yay! I'm glad I have a reader! I'm actually looking forward to the Dark Side. Being able to make waffles at 3 AM, or go for a swim before breakfast...PRICELESS! :rotfl:

We're just a family of 4, but we have traveled with extended family (so 8 of us total) and have stayed offsite at Windsor Hills twice. We didn't feel like we were missing out on anything and enjoyed having a kitchen and a private pool.

We ended up joining DVC in 2011, mostly because we knew we'd want a 2bdrm villa in Hawaii (going this fall and taking FIL with us). But if we hadn't, we wouldn't have hesitated to stay at WH again.

Price it out compared to AoA or the FW cabins, and I bet you'll find that even with parking fees, you're saving enough to have a couple of TS meals.

The price of Disney keeps going up for us as my kids move into different price brackets. In the past, we've been lucky enough to stay for 6-9 nights, which was great! However, while I could still afford to stay on sight, I don't know if I really want to pour so much money into a vacation.

When we were too large to fit in a value, we moved up to moderate at Alligator Bayou. Now that we're too large to fit there, we would have to get two value rooms. I'm really not willing to pay for the cost of a suite.

So, the rumor mill is saying that there may be no free dining for values. It was already a bummer that it was quick service only. So anyway, I'm considering staying off site. Of course, we'd lose some on site perks. We'd have to pay for meals OOP (probably wouldn't do any table service). We'd have to pay to park at the parks.

So I'm just curious what other larger families do? Do you find it a better value to stay on sight? Is it only a better value with free dining? What if there is no free dining? Do you find it's still a better value to stay off site?

Love to hear opinions either way! Thanks!

Only a family of 4, but have friends and family in your situation. Here are the 3 suggestions from them:

1) Rent DVC points. It is less expensive and you basically get deluxe resort amenities. There are several on line sites if you do a search.

2) Stay off-site in a condo/home. You lose the EMH benefits, but get a lot more room and save $$.

3) They have camped at Fort Wilderness. Not sure if this is an option, but they said it is fun as a change of pace.

The only other option is two rooms. More $$, but you do get the two bathrooms. Good luck!

We will be traveling to WDW in December as a family of 6 for the first time. The twist: #6 is my 68 yo mom. Staying off-site would've definitely saved us $$$$ and given more space. But my mom doesn't have the stamina to do marathon days at the parks, and I didn't want the family to all have to pack it in 'cause Grandma was tired. So we booked 2 rooms at POFQ with a room rate discount. Then we don't have to rent a car, and Grandma can easily go back to the room on her own without DH or I having to leave the park and drive her to an off-site condo. We stayed on site 6 years ago at the Poly when the kids were babies and preschoolers, and it was the best move we ever did. Very convenient to whisk baby back for a nap midday. So, yes, we're having to dig deeper $$$$, but the convenience and perks are worth it for a large group of varying ages and stamina. (and we're crossing fingers for free dining for our stay!) ;)

I have stayed both off and on site as part of a family of 6 or 8, depending on who all goes. You can save money by staying off site IF #1 you don't have to rent a car, #2 you don't plan on splitting up at all.

In my endless researching of trips and hotels and cars, you can save money by staying off site. However, I would never do so without having a car, as most off site resorts have horrible shuttle schedules. Or charge you for using the shuttle. Plus you then lose the flexibility of splitting up (without having to pay for a taxi) if some people want to go back to the resort for a nap, and others want to say in the park.

OP--Keep in mind that you can usually get an All Star Family suite for what 2 preferred rooms at a value resort costs. We have done that before too! You can then use the kitchenette for quick meals, which is a huge money saver with a larger family. Breakfast for 6 would cost around $50 or more if you ate it at the food court. Do cereal in the room, or microwave bacon, or bagels, or fruit and granola, and save that money.

We are a family of 6 (7 now that DD23 is married and we gained another son:goodvibes). We have stayed at all levels of resorts over the years as our family has grown. Its tough to get a good deal on property after you outgrow the one room scenario.
Our last trip (this past Oct) was a great one. It was our first off site trip (since one we took in 1999) and we stayed at BC. It was great as we had so much space to spread out. We rented a 2BR and loved having a kitchen, dining room, washer and dryer, and 2 bedrooms! We saved so much money by doing this. We got a week for $837:cool1: It is right beside the Caribbean Beach...so on WDW roadways (although technically not on their property). We loved it so much that we are booking 2 weeks for our next trip and are considering Windsor Hills as well since it may be a bit cheaper.
We also found that it was nicer to go off property to eat midday when we took a break. The CS meals were getting expensive for us, and the servings arent as big as they used to be (we used to share)....and we would go off property and spend a fraction of the cost and get more variety.
We bought breakfast stuff to keep at the condo and some sandwich stuff as well.
Getting a deal with a big family on a WDW trip can be done, but you have to make some changes from what you are used to. Off site is not the end of the world....we even enjoy it:goodvibes

We have stayed on and off property as well and each time, we had fun. I guess it all depends on your budget. This year the kids are getting older and my husband and I decided to just enjoy the resorts. So many times we stay at the parks all day and don't really use the wonderful resorts. The only concern I had was the airfare, 5 of us and the 'cheap airfare' was at $1,550.00 ouch:eek:.. until yesterday. I found out that Spirit Airlines had a member airfare from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale, yes I know not Orlando but my brother and his family lives in Ft. Lauderdale, so we decided to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and we can all drive up to Orlando, a short 3 hour ride. Then it was cheaper for us to keep the rental van for us and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale after our Disney trip. The cost for 5 people round trip from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale on Spirit Airlines is $749.00...:banana::cool1:.... less than half of what the original price was. Now we have a van to buy our groceries in Orlando before the Villas that we will be staying at on Disney property and I don't need to have Garden Grocer deliver any food at another expense and we saved money on airfare and food expense. The only thing left to buy is our park tickets and our vacation is 100% paid for. :yay:

I have stayed both off and on site as part of a family of 6 or 8, depending on who all goes. You can save money by staying off site IF #1 you don't have to rent a car, #2 you don't plan on splitting up at all.

In my endless researching of trips and hotels and cars, you can save money by staying off site. However, I would never do so without having a car, as most off site resorts have horrible shuttle schedules. Or charge you for using the shuttle. Plus you then lose the flexibility of splitting up (without having to pay for a taxi) if some people want to go back to the resort for a nap, and others want to say in the park.

OP--Keep in mind that you can usually get an All Star Family suite for what 2 preferred rooms at a value resort costs. We have done that before too! You can then use the kitchenette for quick meals, which is a huge money saver with a larger family. Breakfast for 6 would cost around $50 or more if you ate it at the food court. Do cereal in the room, or microwave bacon, or bagels, or fruit and granola, and save that money.

We have only stayed on property without kids, so I can't comment on that. We have however, stayed in the same 5 BR 5 BA WH house twice, and will be staying there a third time in June. We have no desire to stay on property. We pay under 200 per night, and it has worked out so wonderfully for us. We now have 3 kids, and it is nice to be able to spread out. We have been there with a little one who needs a nap on both trips (and with this upcoming trip) and it is nice to let them crash in the afternoon. The kids love the private pool. I love being able to easily eat breakfast in our house, just like at home. I hit the Super Target down the road and stock up on breakfast and snacks. THis trip we are going to do even more eating at home or out in town, just to see if we like that, the kids would rather ride more rides than sit in a TS restaurant for a long time. "Our house" as the kids call it, is fully decorated in Disney Decor, so we feel the magic even when we are there. I L-O-V-E having a full size washer and dryer in the house on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter