Disney with the brakes on

officialkt

Earning My Ears
So I'm hoping to be back at WDW solo from 29th September...I've booked ten days so I can just relax and take in the pleasure of just been there...no rushing from ride to ride or fixed schedule.

Does anyone else do this.?

I sure would love to - but I've never done solo. I think I could do it but only for maybe 3-5 days.

Actually I have done solo - sort of. I remember I went down alone once and my husband (now ex) came 2 days later. I had one night and one day alone. It wasn't creepy or weird at all, but again it was only one full day. I felt safe and had a great time. I was at POR.

I have done this solo and with DW. Being local, DVC member, and having gone to WDW more times than I can count since '71 it is a place designed for commandos and relaxed traveling. You just have to figure out which you want to do and find your happy place within those extremes.
Some of the tings that you can do during down times away from the parks include (depending on what you like):
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As
Enjoy!

I did this for 2 partial days in March of this year. I had from park open until around 3-4pm free in the parks by myself while my girlfriend was at a conference. I took plenty of pictures around EPCOT & The Magic Kingdom & only did a few rides that were walk-ons instead of waiting 30+ minutes for a ride. It was way more relaxing than I imagined since I'm usually commando-style in the parks.

I'm envious! I've taken solo trips of 3 days max. For some inexplicable reason, Day 1 of arrival is when any doubts fade away and I am filled with excitement. The afternoon of day 2, I usually hit a wall and start wishing I had vacationed with someone with whom I could share my experiences. I usually wake up on day 3 rearing to go again. With so little time left, I really make the most of this day in both taking action and relaxation. By the end of day 3, I'm ready enough to go home to friends and family -- but obviously its hard to sufficiently vacation anywhere in such a short time (particularly not WDW) -- so there's also the absolute sense that I can't wait to come back.

I wish a longer trip worked for me as well. Nine days seems like enough to truly let go of daily worries and immerse myself in a vacation experience. But knowing me, I'd need someone there with me by the fifth day or I'd start getting lonely.

I travel solo-usually 7 days but I enjoy it all. I have traveled commando style in the past- but my last trip I was forced to take a slower pace...bad rains throughout the week. My next trip I plan to slow down again! Best part of going solo is you can do Disney how you want to!

I travel solo-usually 7 days but I enjoy it all. I have traveled commando style in the past- but my last trip I was forced to take a slower pace...bad rains throughout the week. My next trip I plan to slow down again! Best part of going solo is you can do Disney how you want to!
I total agree with this...my pre solo trip was with my grown up kids Christmas 2013..a busy time and I came away feeling I had missed so much...so was back the following year solo for F&W..nice and slow.

I am heading down for my third solo trip in October. This time, the plan is to relax a bit more, do my favourite things and just soak up the atmosphere (and warmth) before heading back to winter.

I hope you have a great time!

I am heading down for my third solo trip in October. This time, the plan is to relax a bit more, do my favourite things and just soak up the atmosphere (and warmth) before heading back to winter.

I hope you have a great time!
Yes...same for me, that pre winter sunshine break..thankyou and hope you have a good time aswell.

So I'm hoping to be back at WDW solo from 29th September...I've booked ten days so I can just relax and take in the pleasure of just been there...no rushing from ride to ride or fixed schedule.

Does anyone else do this.?

Partly, but only for 4 days. No fixed schedule and I'd change parks on a whim. One day I went to HS, rode all the rides I wanted, and then decided MK was calling my name. One evening I arrived at MK and decided I'd rather be at World Showcase so off I went. Never went to AK because I was never in the mood, though I like all 4 parks. Only fixed events I had was 3 ADRs, and one those I changed at the spur of the moment when I managed a walk-in, and a Tour.

Going again in December for 9 nights. Have done this a couple of times before too--once at CSR and then the Beach Club. This December it's OKW and AKLV. Since I've been to WDW so many times, I am never in a rush to get anywhere in particular--it's very relaxing. I used to always rent a car too, but now I do Magical Express and take the buses--no hurry, no worry. I also like having 8 full days to get to each park twice. Although I usually park hop on any given day if I think things are too crazy in any given park. I'm sure you'll have a great, relaxing time. Have fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun (that's 10)!!!!!!!!!!

I've only ever gone to WDW for the marathon weekends which I've done solo. Since my primary reason for going are the races which can be stressful and tiring I spend the rest of my time there resting and leisurely touring the parks. There are still many attractions I haven't experienced due to my aversion to over-planning, but I try to do at least one new thing each time I visit.

Going again in December for 9 nights. Have done this a couple of times before too--once at CSR and then the Beach Club. This December it's OKW and AKLV. Since I've been to WDW so many times, I am never in a rush to get anywhere in particular--it's very relaxing. I used to always rent a car too, but now I do Magical Express and take the buses--no hurry, no worry. I also like having 8 full days to get to each park twice. Although I usually park hop on any given day if I think things are too crazy in any given park. I'm sure you'll have a great, relaxing time. Have fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun (that's 10)!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for that...I like no hurry,no worry

I only live three hours away, and have a FL resident seasonal pass (why would anyone want to be there when school is out :drinking1?), so sometimes I'll take a camera and a sketchbook and just work on observing paint combinations for a future building project, or take landscape notes for a garden I'm working on. Even something as simple as observing construction techniques can be fulfilling, rewarding and as useful as attending a course. Then there's also the shameful delight of indulging in a little schadenfreude when watching someone deal with screaming, ungrateful children while you're downing a beer and listening to birds chirp.

Last edited:
I live an hour and a half away and have an Annual Passport (used to do the seasonal pass, but realized with parking, five trips and the pass is paid for). I have joined in with some meet-ups and after a couple of hours of group-time I'm ready to go back to solo-tripping. It's easier to get dining reservations for just one. One day I got into BOG for lunch an hour after making the reservation. I talk to just about anybody so I never really feel alone, and I also enjoy just sitting quietly and relaxing and I can do that when I'm solo.

I just came back from 2 weeks solo and I had every intension of going slow...but the only day I succeeded was Sunday (Football).

I hit everything I wanted at all the parks over and over. After the first couple of days I would wake up whenever and go to whatever location had the rides I most wanted to ride on.

After a week or so, I started doing random stuff. Tours (as mentioned above), but there are attraction tours at USO (not sure if there are any at WDW, but I didn't do any).
- I hit every open roller coaster in every theme park in one day...it felt odd to go to The Great Goofini, Flight of the Hippogriff, etc without a kid.
- I looked up the best quick service and table service restaurants around Orlando and ate there.
- Lots of butter beer and watermelon lemon aid.

Everything else I did was mentioned in the second post lol.

My recommendation is do what feels right when you wake up...and don't set your alarm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter