Disney Without a Smartphone? IT'S DOABLE!!!

VolvoManiac850

Let's Go Bucs
So my wife and I decided to NOT use our phones on the trip. This was an incredible decision, as it allowed us to have a digital detox. We had a Nikon camera in the parks and that was it.

"But...what about the app? Isn't it impossible to do it without a phone these days?"

I wanted to share my experience here. The trip felt a lot like a trip from the 1990s aside from the fact my Nikon is digital.

Sure, you can't use Genie or the Lightning Lanes very well, if at all. We didn't bother with them anyhow though; my wife is NOT a rides person and I just duked it out for an hour waiting for Tower. (Plus most of the rides she does like usually have short wait times: think Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz Lightyear).

We had one dining reservation made late in the planning cycle and did walk-up to another, plus we wedged a quick serve in there at MGM. It wasn't really a big deal to not have a phone and the cast members at YC were more than willing to help us try to snag one when we asked them.

We used old-fashioned cards for the parks. We could have bought Magic Bands, but why bother when the cards are complimentary? I've wound up using those cards on all of my recent trips since they're just easier.

The best part? No worries if there was a phone in my pocket going down the slide at Stormalong Bay.

Do I recommend going phone less at WDW? Absolutely. Should you do some advance planning? Probably. Is it beneficial to have one for certain circumstances or people? Perhaps.

Since there were only two of us, we didn't really worry about losing one another. As a bonus, my wife wore bright orange the day we were at MGM (the only park we hit on our little two day trip), so it was easy to spot her. We just did it like the old times..."hey, if you're not riding Tower, meet me where they have the ride photos".

I rarely use mine. I tend to only look at MDE if I want to make a QS order in advance or check to see if there is a TS available somewhere. Otherwise, it's for taking pictures and/or reading my Kindle app while in line. I don't use Genie+ or ILLs, I don't usually care about the posted wait times. I go to the ride and if the line looks too long, I walk away. I rarely even look at the posted wait time sign at the ride, if you go often enough you can usually gage the wait by the line. But, like op we are not ride centric. I like riding rides but they are not the end all for us. There are a number that my (adult) son can not ride because he has nerve damage in his spine so when he is with me, we have to pick and choose. There are a number I'm just not all that interested in, I'll ride them every once in a while but don't have to (EE, FoP, RoTR, MMRR come to mind). I never ride Space Mountain cause it hurts. EE, FoP and GoTG make me a little sick so unless I've remembered to take Bonine, I skip them. RoTR is o.k. but I don't need it and I'm still bitter about GMR.

The rationale is simple. We live in two worlds (three if you're into VR). The first is the physical, tangible world that we use our five senses to explore. The second is the world online, which includes the smartphone.

If you're taking a vacation from the first world you live in, which is your hometown and everything associated with daily life (work, home, activities, and the like), why not take a vacation from the second world? The "always on" nature of the smartphone is my biggest gripe about it. People expect a reply to a text within x minutes or hours even if it's not business-related. There are notifications coming through everywhere. There's the constant influx of emails, not to mention the world of social media that I'm detaching from more and more each day (hence why I decided to go back to old-school forums where we can talk about something fun like WDW).

By not taking the phone into the parks, pools, or restaurants, you're taking the much-needed break from all the demands of modern smartphone life. It's a vacation worth taking, especially when you're in an environment where there are so many little details to go and explore. Go find that Hidden Mickey or look for an old Twilight Zone prop in a line. Talk to your friends and loved ones who you make the trip with. If you're alone, get to know the people around you in line.

Yes, there are some people who need that phone to snag the ride reservation. There are folks who want to livestream every element of their trip. I'm just not one of those people and having a break from the phone, to me, is a vacation in itself since that second world gets left behind entirely.

By not taking the phone into the parks, pools, or restaurants, you're taking the much-needed break from all the demands of modern smartphone life. It's a vacation worth taking, especially when you're in an environment where there are so many little details to go and explore. Go find that Hidden Mickey or look for an old Twilight Zone prop in a line. Talk to your friends and loved ones who you make the trip with. If you're alone, get to know the people around you in line.
My problem is this, somewhere along the line we lost the ability to do both. These things are not mutualy exclusive as people make it out to be. I can't use my phone and enjoy the details around the park?

The rationale is simple. We live in two worlds (three if you're into VR). The first is the physical, tangible world that we use our five senses to explore. The second is the world online, which includes the smartphone.

If you're taking a vacation from the first world you live in, which is your hometown and everything associated with daily life (work, home, activities, and the like), why not take a vacation from the second world? The "always on" nature of the smartphone is my biggest gripe about it. People expect a reply to a text within x minutes or hours even if it's not business-related. There are notifications coming through everywhere. There's the constant influx of emails, not to mention the world of social media that I'm detaching from more and more each day (hence why I decided to go back to old-school forums where we can talk about something fun like WDW).

Yes, there are some people who need that phone to snag the ride reservation. There are folks who want to livestream every element of their trip. I'm just not one of those people and having a break from the phone, to me, is a vacation in itself since that second world gets left behind entirely.
I agree with you. When we go to Universal, I don't even take my phone in with me. I never need it.
I admit I haven't been to disney since they now have so much digital requiring most people to use their phones.
The big difference in using your phone or not is If you are ride centric people or just like to go with the flow. At my age, I like to just go with the flow, and I love that you can do that at Universal.

Loved this! We recently made a trip (Mom, Sis and me . . . three adults) to Disney and went without phones. We're not big into rides, so no Genie or LL was not an issue in our case. We took a digital camera and had an absolutely wonderful time. It was a real vacation, and we had a lot of time to notice things. Nice to hear someone else enjoying the same experience.

I did not use my phone much in the parks except for the Genie+ and ordering food. Photos as well - I just don't want to carry a camera anymore when the phones do such a good job for holiday pix.

There is no reason to be tied to a phone IMO even with G+, set some alarms so you don't miss the VQ or your G+ window and just go and enjoy. There are things you just need the phone for IMO.

Also most importantly - I have a work phone and a personal phone - leave the work phone at home or in the hotel. If you don't have two phones then mute the ringer so you can have the phone and ignore calls.

The other thing is stop looking at tik tok and twitter and enjoy your vacation.

The number of adults with kids I saw glued to there phones watching short videos one after the other really disappointed me. To be clear it was the ADULTS not the kids. You are on a family vacation - spend time with the family. I get kids doing this - they are kids...but the parents - I don't get it.

I agree with you. When we go to Universal, I don't even take my phone in with me. I never need it.
I admit I haven't been to disney since they now have so much digital requiring most people to use their phones.
The big difference in using your phone or not is If you are ride centric people or just like to go with the flow. At my age, I like to just go with the flow, and I love that you can do that at Universal.
It's easy to go with the flow at Disney as well, especially if you aren't ride centric. As I said up thread, we don't use Genie+ or ILLs, we don't make ADRs in advance - just day of if we want them and I don't check the wait times on MDE, I just go to the ride and decide from there. Or better yet, I'll be walking by a ride and hop in line. I never have any plans except a park reservation (I have an AP so still have to make them). I do check my phone for available dining if I'm in the mood but that is all of 2 or 3 min. and usually when I'm sitting on a bench just chilling. I'll also mobile order every once in awhile. I probably have my phone out of my pocket for anything other than reading in line, a grand total of 15 min. a day. I do read in lines sometimes, depends on the line and if I'm solo or with my son and his family, some of them have interesting things to explore, some don't.

I think that's great. But if you have ride centric people in your group, it's sort of like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
With a few exceptions (usually slow loaders like Jungle Cruise) my experience has been that wait times are generally inflated by a third to half. So the time saved with Genie+ may not be as much as one might think.

With a few exceptions (usually slow loaders like Jungle Cruise) my experience has been that wait times are generally inflated by a third to half. So the time saved with Genie+ may not be as much as one might think.
The thread was about doing Disney without a phone, not doing one without G+. The app provides a lot of valuable information for prioritizing rides whether you have G+ or not.

I take my phone in the parks for the camera, and occasionally use it for mobile order, but a lot of the time it will be turned off and in a pocket or bag. I do have a digital camera I could take into the parks, but the phone is lighter and more compact. I don’t buy Genie+ or LL, so I don’t need it for that. I do sometimes like the feeling of being in the parks and being unreachable.

Does anyone else remember when they used to make announcements in the park along the lines of “Will Mr. Samuel Smith, from Anywhere, Indiana, please dial park extension 4777”? They had courtesy phones near the big banks of pay phones for this purpose.

The thread was about doing Disney without a phone, not doing one without G+. The app provides a lot of valuable information for prioritizing rides whether you have G+ or not.
As the OP mentioned not using Genie+, my observation is relevant in concurring that one can do the parks without a phone. The app information is going to give you the posted wait times which may or may not be inflated.
You questioned if not using a phone was cutting off your nose to spite your face when you are ride-centric. If I incorrectly assumed that you were indirectly referring to using Genie+, I stand corrected. Not trying to stir up another Genie+ debate.
I have no objection to Disney having smartphone options, just when it becomes the ONLY option. Like only being able to access a new ride via virtual queue or paid Lightning Lane. Being barred access to a quick service restaurant unless you have a Mobile Order. Having to check in for your ADR on your phone when you are standing at the podium right in front of the Host/Hostess. Having to pull up your Annual Pass on your phone to get your AP discount. Yes, doing the parks without a smartphone is possible, but they certainly don't make it easy.

They still have areas where folks can order in person rather than mobile. Even at the newer restaurants.
When I was there a few months ago there was an Irate women because there was no option except mobile order at Minions. That said I don't think its the case anymore, although they really push you to the app. Problem is the APP does not work with gift cards.

Same at Disney they are really pushing you to use the app and personally I prefer it for food orders. Casey's was so much easier with the app.
Yeah - without a doubt they are inflating the wait times to worst possible case IMO.
I assumed it was half whatever was posted and I never used the app to check wait times.
Talking to other folks there (who come all the time) they said the same thing and never buy G+

They still have areas where folks can order in person rather than mobile. Even at the newer restaurants.
I know that's why I said slowly, everything always starts as a "trial" then if that goes well it makes it's way to everything. Mobile ordering if fairly new to universal just starting a couple of years(ramped up due to covid) however now a majority have it. The next stage they introduced is the table mobile order at a few restaurants, my guess if that goes well you'll see that throughout the parks.

Being barred access to a quick service restaurant unless you have a Mobile Order.
I would LOVE if this came back or have it like fast food now that you can just order via a kiosk outside. It was so nice to go into a quick service restaurant and find a seat without issue.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter