Disney World Before or After Cruise

We just did 5 days at WDW then a 7 day cruise. I think if we do it again we will do it the other way!! Just seems like it would work better for us. But I will say that even though it took us the first 2 sea days to 'recover' from the parks, it was fun looking forward to relaxing after the whirlwind and heat of doing WDW.

And my little 7 year old 6 time cruiser couldn't quite understand why she didn't get anything she wanted at dinner (extra fries? mickey bar?) since it wasn't included at the parks. I think she prefers her DCL over WDW ;)

I cannot find this topic on the boards, so I was wondering what people's opinions were about going to Disney World... Before or After cruise.

My family and I have always gone on the Disney cruise and then went to Disney World for the rest of the weekend. Last time, I noticed that my parents were a bit tired at Disney World.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
We did WDW first and it is the way to go. It's much more relaxing to do the cruise last

For our next cruise in Sept, we are doing two WDW days before the cruise and one day after. Just enough time in the parks to get a few rides/shows in without getting tired.

I will say that we have been doing 2+ WDW trips per year for almost two decades now. We haven't been park commandos for years now and take WDW at a much slower pace these days. But for us it is DCL after WDW. At the parks it is still getting from A to B and dining reservations at this place or the other. Rush rush rush. When we boarded the cruise this past January after our WDW trip we went into hard core relax mode. We never had far to go to get where we needed to be and everything just feels extra magical. When we got off the cruise we were actually relaxed and dare I say it ready to head back to work. We loved doing this bookend type vacation so much we are doing the same thing for our post Oct WDW trip as well.

Yes, I will echo the "WDW first" opinion. Unless you are deliberately gong to take in WDW at a leisurely pace, touring the parks can be exhausting, even if you're not running commando-style. I would want the cruise to serve as a way to wind down after that. I'm not sure if I could fully relax on a cruise knowing that I was heading back to the craziness of the parks.

We like to fly in early for cruising (cause you never know what might happen) so we usually do 2 days at WDW before. Then, it's such an emotional low to get off that boat that it's nice to head back to WDW for a few days after to acclimate to the real world. We might hit DTD and the resort pool this time and skip the parks.

I'm so excited! This will be our first trip to Disney World! Better find some good walking shoes! haha!

I think you will enjoy noting the similarities and differences between dlr and wdw, at least I always do. But vastly different experiences since wdw is so spread out. Where are you staying?

I think you will enjoy noting the similarities and differences between dlr and wdw, at least I always do. But vastly different experiences since wdw is so spread out. Where are you staying?
I've been trying to tell my 6 year old that Sleeping Beauty's castle is here in California but Cinderella's castle is over there in Florida. She's like "What do you mean??" I can't wait to show her! I booked breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table too.
We have a Finding Nemo fan in my family so I got the Finding Nemo suite at the Art of Animation resort as a surprise!

I'm so excited! This will be our first trip to Disney World! Better find some good walking shoes! haha!
At least two pair, depending on how long you are going to be at the parks!
You will have a great time. Dlr and WDW are similar, but so different. We did DLR last Oct. and WDW in February and had a blast at both.

I chose to do 4 days at WDW and then 3 days at universal AFTER our 7 day western Caribbean cruise this Oct/Nov! I couldn't see spending all that money to fly from Canada, and not slip a visit in to my favourite place in the world!! I am glad I booked for after because now I'll still have something to look forward to after I leave the ship! ( it's our first cruise and just DH and I celebrating our 25 anniversary). I couldn't imagine the depression and sadness I'd feel if I knew we where flying home right after disembarkation! I want to make the magic last and this way by the time we are done we may just be READY to leave after 2 weeks of Disney! ☺️
:wave:
Your trip is coming up!!! I hope you absolutely love it!!

We have done the park after the cruise and we were worn out! This year we are doing the park the day before the cruise. That way by the time we check out and drive over, it will be about time to board. when the cruise is done, we are off and start our 10 hour drive home!

Our first cruise we did before and after and it was a lot! This time we are going before. I figured we'd want to get home and unpacked before we return to the real world.

We have asked this question as well and majority say WDW and then the cruise to relax. Last year we did DL Anaheim first and then flew to Orlando for our DCL cruise and it worked out great. With WDW being much bigger I think we will stick with this as well. Enjoy!!!

I'm looking at this from a very vain viewpoint...sorry. Prior to the cruise I get my nails done, sometimes a spray tan, and I'm dieting and excercising because I'll be in a swimsuit. If we go to the parks first, my nailpolish chips, my spray tan fades and I'm eating tons of junk in the parks. By the time the cruise rolls around I'm not the same woman that walked off the plane...... :lmao:So, my vote is for cruise first, check in to the hotel and do laundry, rest and relax and then hit the parks!

I say park after. Getting off the ship is so awful - it's good to have something to still look forward to.

Exactly this. Parks after the cruise eases the pain of debarking just a bit. Helps us enjoy both parts equally- otherwise during the parks we are just looking forward to getting on the ship!

I love vacation, but at the end I am usually ready to be back in my own bed. I can't imagine getting off the boat with a week's worth of dirty laundry and then heading to the Parks. We are doing a quick park trip - just 2 nights/1 1/2 park days before a 7-day cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter