• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World in February Questions

The resort pool at CBR was closed last Feb when I was there the week of Presidents Day as well.

It was pretty cold while I was there, and IIRC the forecast changed a lot at the last minute. Thankfully we had our winter coats with us as we were coming from NYC and it was freezing on the way to the airport, or else we would've had to go out and buy coats while there.

The main pool at the WL was closed one cold January day but the quiet pool was open. Our grandkids went swimming in 55 degree weather.

February is our preferred month to visit and my recommendation is to be prepared for everything. One day in February 2004 the high in Orlando was two degrees colder then it was back home in NE Ohio. Other times I was in shorts. I know we went swimming on both of our last February trips in 2014 and 2013.

I'm going around that time and I will start checking the weather to decide what to pack the week before. I don't think it's worth even thinking about until then!! But, yes, I'll be planning on layers and having a bit of everything.

Sunscreen is an always thing - at least on the exposed parts, so my face gets it every day. It won't necessarily get reapplied as often as the warmer months though because we won't be sweating it off (hopefully).

Awesome! See you in WDW! :thumbsup2 Thanks a bunch!

We're going at the end of February and I'm worried. We have one "pool day" and if it's cold, we're sunk. There's not much flexibility anymore with fast passes and dining reservations to change your park days. The kids can't resist a pool but we might need to be ready with plan B.

I'm pretty sure the pools (at least hotel pools, I'm not sure about TL or BB) are heated so your kids should be all set, but if not, maybe window shopping? Or I remember loving to just walk around the hotel and see all of the decorations. Wishing you luck! :shamrock:

We're going the 17-25th! And having lived in FL for the last year, I can assure you that weather can be ANYTHING.
Last year I was a tt, jeans, boots & a lighter sweater and was shivering. However it could still be sweat dripping weather. Keep checking when the 21 day forecast releases and keep your eyes on it!

Sunscreen is ALWAYS mandatory! (imo) Also if it's super sunny & hot you DEFINITELY want it, if you don't want to bring it, buy it when you get there, but it's gonna run you $15

Pools will be open, i believe one of the waterparks is usually down for refurb around that time, and one of the pools at your resort might be, just check the disneyworld website for that info

Hey, I'll see you there! :) Thanks for the great tips, I'll be sure to bring some sunscreen and a variety of clothes! :thanks:

Hello fellow Feb tripper! I'll be there the 1st through the 5th. :flower:I was told it can be 30s-40s in the morning and then warm up to 70s-80s in the afternoon...so I'm planning on getting a couple of hoodies/fleeces to layer with and making use of locker rentals at the parks, haha. I have a winter down coat that squishes down to be really minuscule so I'll probably stuff that in my bag just in case. Aside from those strategies I'll basically be checking and re-checking the weather forecast the week leading up to the trip. I have no problem packing the day before leaving so I can wing it.

Haha, I'm the opposite! I NEED to plan everything! :rolleyes: The weather seems pretty good for February, especially since I'm from MA! Thanks for the tips! Enjoy your Disney trip! :cool1:

Huge fan of the feb trips, its my fav time of the year to go (No, my birthday in feb is not my major motivator :rolleyes1 )

So far all the pp have been steering you in the right direction. It can start as cold as the 30s to low 40's in the am and climb all the way up to the 80's by mid-day. Alot of the reason Disney feels colder than the cold at home is we've got a humid chill (everything in Fl is humid) so it'll get into your bones if you stop moving long enough. We usually opt for at least 1 thing made of wool to take with us, whether it be an over sized sweater or a blanket, its usually enough to keep the chill at bay.

No matter where or when you go in Florida, no matter how grey and cloudy the skies look, you should ALWAYS wear sunscreen. As a fl native, this is something I stress to everyone. Florida is a great big magnifying glass and the clouds and even window glass don't keep the most damaging rays from reaching your skin. For the best protection, find a sunscreen with uva/uvb protection

All the pools and water parks remain open, and a great deal of the resort pool are also heated, so even if its super chilly in the air, the water should be just comfy enough to get in a quick dip. I know I've done the insanity scuffle back to the hotel room a few times when I decided it wasnt too cold (please note: it was most definitely too cold for me lol) But it was super comfy in the pool, I almost didn't want to leave the water

Hey birthday twinnie! :bday: Thank you for the awesome advice!

We go every year in February. Lower crowds and for me, ideal weather. The temps usually range from 68 to 75 but the past several years we have gotten into the 80's. Night time you will need a jacket and long pants as it can get chilly (40-50's) We will be there in 64 days and can hardly wait. The pools are always open at the hotels. I was there for a December trip in 2010 and the temps were 68 for a high. My wife and I were in the pools enjoying the change from our Michigan winters. Funny thing is the lifeguards looked like they were ready to shovel snow with all of the clothing they had on. I asked one of the guards "with all that clothing, how would you be able to save me if I started to drown". He replied, "sir, stand up-the water's only four foot deep. They keep the pools heated to 82 degrees in the winter so enjoy.

Haha, great story about the lifeguard! :rotfl2: Thanks for the advice and maybe I'll see you and your wife in February!

They actually close pools now if it's too cold. we noticed that this January for the marathon weekend.

And in case it wasn't obvious from a previous mention, you're going over Princess Half Marahon weekend. There will be some road closures.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup2

February is our preferred month to visit and my recommendation is to be prepared for everything. One day in February 2004 the high in Orlando was two degrees colder then it was back home in NE Ohio. Other times I was in shorts. I know we went swimming on both of our last February trips in 2014 and 2013.

Thanks so much! :thanks:

We went last February and we were wearing jeans and t-shirts the majority of the trip. We did have a few warmer days where the capris/shorts came out and yes, the pools are open. We spent a full day at the pool because the weather was so nice. I'd be ready to layer during the morning hours but by afternoon, you probably won't need too much in terms of heavy coats or possibly even sweatshirts. Have a great trip!!

We went last February and we were wearing jeans and t-shirts the majority of the trip. We did have a few warmer days where the capris/shorts came out and yes, the pools are open. We spent a full day at the pool because the weather was so nice. I'd be ready to layer during the morning hours but by afternoon, you probably won't need too much in terms of heavy coats or possibly even sweatshirts. Have a great trip!!

Thanks so much! I'm so happy that I have all of these great tips now!

We are also from New England and have been the past 2 years during Presidents Week. 2 years ago, great weather, light sweatshirt at night, shorts, capris, flip flops by day. Last year, ranged from 80 degrees our arrival day, to 34 degrees during our last 2 days! One afternoon/evening of torrential rains as well (made for walk on to 7DMT and quick wait for Anna/Elsa!). Pool at ASSports never closed and you could definitely tell the New Englanders and other cold weather inhabitants as they were still in the water. We had 2 huge snowstorms at home during our trip so even 34-40 degrees in sunny WDW was a treat anyway! I love flying Southwest as they are not only usually the lowest fare, but free checked bags, so packing for layering isn't a problem! Pack like you would for a summer week in New England where "anything goes" and you will be all set!

We are also from New England and have been the past 2 years during Presidents Week. 2 years ago, great weather, light sweatshirt at night, shorts, capris, flip flops by day. Last year, ranged from 80 degrees our arrival day, to 34 degrees during our last 2 days! One afternoon/evening of torrential rains as well (made for walk on to 7DMT and quick wait for Anna/Elsa!). Pool at ASSports never closed and you could definitely tell the New Englanders and other cold weather inhabitants as they were still in the water. We had 2 huge snowstorms at home during our trip so even 34-40 degrees in sunny WDW was a treat anyway! I love flying Southwest as they are not only usually the lowest fare, but free checked bags, so packing for layering isn't a problem! Pack like you would for a summer week in New England where "anything goes" and you will be all set!

Ahh, someone who speaks my language! I'm flying JetBlue so hopefully everything will be fine, but I'm hoping for mostly sunshine! Thanks for the help! :sunny:

I did my first February trip last year. Our temperatures were all over the place! Although we made FPs at our 60-day mark, we ended up flip-flopping our plans at the last minute to take advantage of really warm weather the first three days of our trip. Ended up at Typhoon Lagoon our first day, with 80 degree weather! Went to DHS in the late afternoon, and snagged a Sci-Fi Restaurant walk-up around 5:00 pm. So it's a good idea to be willing to change your plans to take advantage of unexpected things.

We were also glad we'd packed a variety of clothes, from swimsuits to shorts to long pants to gloves. Prepare for everything - you may need it all! Layers are your friend. :)

We're going at the end of February and I'm worried. We have one "pool day" and if it's cold, we're sunk. There's not much flexibility anymore with fast passes and dining reservations to change your park days. The kids can't resist a pool but we might need to be ready with plan B.
We changed our water park day last-minute (the night before), going to Typhoon Lagoon on our first park day. We were surprised to be able to get a walk up for dinner at Sci-Fi later that day (around 5:00 pm). This was the last week of February 2014, on a Sunday.

So don't give up hope, you can change your plans at the last minute that time of year. We actually had our choice of walk-ups at Sci-Fi and Brown Derby - who knew? To us, it was worth losing the FPs we'd scheduled that day to take advantage of the unexpectedly warm weather, and getting to do a water park!

I am only speaking for myself and my own experiences but I have spent a week there in February 2009 and 2 weeks last December and I didn't wear any sunscreen at all and I am super fair and as white as can be and will normally burn in the summer, BUT I did not get any sunburn at all in all my time in Disney in Feb. and Dec. and I didn't wear any sunscreen.

I understand people always say to wear it because you're in Florida, but I decided to at least try not wearing it on my first day in Feb. based on my instinct and perception of how the weather felt to me, and see what happens since there wasn't much sun at all, and I was fine. So for me, it's one of those things where people are being over-protective but it isn't rooted in reality. Feel free to disagree if you're tried not wearing it in Dec-Feb and gotten burned but as a test case of a super fair person who has spent a total of 3 weeks during that time in various fluctuation of weather, I feel pretty confident in saying you are safe without any sunscreen.

I mean, there are people who tell you you "need" to wear sunscreen all year long no matter where you are, England or Alaska, but I am sorry I feel that is ridiculous. Like, today in Orlando, the UV index is only around 4 at the hottest point of the day. If you check out the UV Index online, you will see that 4 is no big deal, really, and you don't need sunblock for it. It's considered "moderate" risk. Most of the day is actually not even in the moderate range but in the 'Low' range.

I have gone to Disney in June and August and seen how bad the sun can be if you don't wear sunscreen on a single part of your body. You will get burned, especially if you are super fair like me. One of the major reasons I now go in the winter months is so I don't have to worry about the sun and the heat ans sunburn. Most sunblocks affect my allergies so I hate wearing them unless I have no choice. I'll take the cooler temps in Dec-Feb, by far.

I did my first February trip last year. Our temperatures were all over the place! Although we made FPs at our 60-day mark, we ended up flip-flopping our plans at the last minute to take advantage of really warm weather the first three days of our trip. Ended up at Typhoon Lagoon our first day, with 80 degree weather! Went to DHS in the late afternoon, and snagged a Sci-Fi Restaurant walk-up around 5:00 pm. So it's a good idea to be willing to change your plans to take advantage of unexpected things.

We were also glad we'd packed a variety of clothes, from swimsuits to shorts to long pants to gloves. Prepare for everything - you may need it all! Layers are your friend. :)
Thank you for the flexibility tip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter