Disney World Resorts Struggling

I think the 30 minutes is phenomenal. At Epcot, I waited ten minutes for Remy AND got on Frozen before the 30 minutes was up.

At AK, I rode Dinosaur twice and Everest 3 times in that period.
Same! We walked for test track, did frozen after and were on time to meet Anna and Elsa in exactly 30 minutes (last week!)

As a former multi year out of state Annual Passholder - I would expect Disney resorts to have problems. They've removed most of the incentive for staying on site, plus they are ridiculously overpriced. Just got back from a 5 day (Annual Passholder) trip to Universal where we stayed at a Deluxe resort with free Express passes; we could walk easily (or boat) to the parks and City Walk; and it was $289/night. The pool area was fabulous, the service was wonderful, dining/reservations were super simple, the room was cleaned EVERY DAY, and we had a text number to the front desk where we could request extra towels/toiletries or ask questions...great experience. We also got into parks easily a whole HOUR early.

Without Magical Express, and with all the Genie/Lightning Lane charge more issues, plus needing to be on our phones all day - Disney is a hard pass for us. I get Disney has more parks, better immersion in many areas, plus all our memories and nostalgia - but the ability to relax and have GREAT service for a fraction of the Disney cost - it was amazing. My 17 year old would be fine never going back to Disney. I think there are struggles ahead unless Disney pivots sharply back to being a service leader with real value for onsite guests.

Oh, and we met multiple ex-Disney cast members. The survey they sent after was also pretty telling. They get the complaints of Disney folks and are moving aggressively to be the solution. And it's working.

After staying at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, I’m super jealous. For the price of a moderate, I’m staying in a Hotel that’s nicer than anything at Disney World and they offer a lot more. The meals are cheaper (15 pp for a table service meal), they give me free water, slippers, pajamas, toothbrush and a ridiculously cool Japanese toilet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if bookings are down because compared to Tokyo, they suck and I’m saying that as a DVC member. They really need to step up their game already because revenge travel is going to end eventually.

They get the complaints of Disney folks and are moving aggressively to be the solution. And it's working.

Until Universal gets a lot more attractions that aren’t just coasters or simulator rides, it’s a pass for us. I get motion sick very easily & there is hardly anything I can do at Universal. It doesn’t matter what the hotel is like if I can’t do anything in the parks.

with all the Genie/Lightning Lane charge more issues, plus needing to be on our phones all day - Disney is a hard pass for us.
I don't get the whole - you have to be on the phone all day, especially for AP or DVC people that go often. No need to pay for and schedule everything if you go often enough. Just get on what you can and relax, as AP/DVC's, the only time we need our phone is to do a quick check of ride times or order quick serve, that is all.

Until Universal gets a lot more attractions that aren’t just coasters or simulator rides, it’s a pass for us. I get motion sick very easily & there is hardly anything I can do at Universal. It doesn’t matter what the hotel is like if I can’t do anything in the parks.
Exactly, it is just not the same, currently. If you are not into coaster and heavy motion rides, there's not much for you to do. Hopefully that changes with Epic coming...we shall see.

After staying at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, I’m super jealous. For the price of a moderate, I’m staying in a Hotel that’s nicer than anything at Disney World and they offer a lot more. The meals are cheaper (15 pp for a table service meal), they give me free water, slippers, pajamas, toothbrush and a ridiculously cool Japanese toilet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if bookings are down because compared to Tokyo, they suck and I’m saying that as a DVC member. They really need to step up their game already because revenge travel is going to end eventually.
This might just be a Japan thing because when I was in Tokyo I stayed at a hotel that was priced like a Disney value/moderate (think Riverside or All Star prices at peak times) but was WAY nicer than any hotel at WDW and it wasn't even close.

I don't expect WDW hotels to be a luxury product because they aren't but for the outrageous prices they're charging for cash rooms I expect a bit more than what they're providing right now.

I can see more people passing high end vacations as interest rates and inflation eat more disposable income for at least another year.
We are fortunate to be financially stable enough to go a lot but I am used to top tier passes and on onsite visitors getting lots of incentives. We dropped our Disney passes and just do a couple trips a year since a few years ago when the trend towards lowering the incentive differential started.
My first visit was with ticket books and I wasn't tall enough for Space Mountain. The Disney experience peaked for us in the 2000s.

UO and SW parks have gained a serious advantage for savvy travelers with promotions and discounts for loyal visitors and those who spend a little more.

We were there (BCV) two weeks ago during a supposedly "slow" time by the calendar. MK was shoulder to shoulder everywhere. Long lines in the other parks that have more acres.
Wasn’t that around Presidents’ Day? Definitely not a slow period.

Wasn’t that around Presidents’ Day? Definitely not a slow period.
President's Day weekend was the first time EVER they've stopped selling Genie+. I've been to WDW 4 times since the Covid reopening and this was hands down the busiest it's been- by a mile.

Quick anecdote: I was sitting outside of RnRC because it was closed and I said "to heck with this, I'm just going to sit here and wait" because EVERY ride in the park was closed or had a 2 hour+ wait.

Then, all of a sudden, Tower changes to 45 minutes and I immediately headed over there. By the time I got to the wait time sign (from RnRC!) it was up to 90.

Summer travel is going to be low, noticing similar patterns everywhere. People can't afford it with the cost of everyday life going so high.
I don't believe this. We've swallowed everything they've fed us since reopening, I think it will be a while before we see any dip in reservations. The only thing that might change this is Nintendo at Universal - people will still want a Florida vacation, but they'll spend their money at the cool new thing their kids are bugging them for. It'll be like Harry Potter all over again.

Yes, exactly. I have tried Uni a number of times, but ultimately, it's just not for me. I am a dark ride kinda person. EE is about the most I can handle. I also do not identify as closely with a lot of the IP at Uni except Harry Potter. Until Uni adds more rides that are my type of thing, it's not a question of cost. I can save a ton of money by staying here and going to Six Flags if I wanted roller coasters that do not really identify with me.

I don't get the whole - you have to be on the phone all day, especially for AP or DVC people that go often. No need to pay for and schedule everything if you go often enough. Just get on what you can and relax, as AP/DVC's, the only time we need our phone is to do a quick check of ride times or order quick serve, that is all.

Yeah, also me... I go all the time, and I do not feel like I am on my phone all that much. Mainly, when I want to order food - and to be honest, I find having that available on my phone to be convienent.

Random thoughts for today:

- It never ceases to amaze me that both high demand ("the parks are overflowing!") and low demand ("Disney is hurting!") can be spun as signs that Disney management has failed.

- While I completely respect some people's affection for Universal, not all people view it as a suitable 1:1 replacement for Walt Disney World. Universal is different. It can be cheaper. It's certainly less familiar to someone who have visited WDW 20 or 30 or 300 times. But not all themed entertainment venues are viewed equally. Whatever emotions & preferences draw someone to Mickey Mouse, World Showcase and Galaxy's Edge are not necessarily replicated with Minions, Transformers and Harry Potter.

That is all.

Whatever emotions & preferences draw someone to Mickey Mouse, World Showcase and Galaxy's Edge are not necessarily replicated with Minions, Transformers and Harry Potter.
^This. I consider Universal in the big leagues and a decent alternate, but not repeatable they way WDW is for us. The list of things I love in DisneyWorld dwarfs the UO list.

Epic Universe might change our habits. Maybe we get APs and do UO a few times since 2017 was the last time any of us visited. Giving it a thorough think… if that becomes common and WDW suffers, then they’d likely release some good deals that have me running back :laughing:

Random thoughts for today:

- It never ceases to amaze me that both high demand ("the parks are overflowing!") and low demand ("Disney is hurting!") can be spun as signs that Disney management has failed.

- While I completely respect some people's affection for Universal, not all people view it as a suitable 1:1 replacement for Walt Disney World. Universal is different. It can be cheaper. It's certainly less familiar to someone who have visited WDW 20 or 30 or 300 times. But not all themed entertainment venues are viewed equally. Whatever emotions & preferences draw someone to Mickey Mouse, World Showcase and Galaxy's Edge are not necessarily replicated with Minions, Transformers and Harry Potter.

That is all.
I agree with this. I love universal and can’t wait to go back. But I’ve gone pretty much annually to WDW all my life and I love it as well for its own reasons. To me they’re both great venues with their pros and cons, but it doesn’t need to be a direct comparison as a lot of people make it out to be

^This. I consider Universal in the big leagues and a decent alternate, but not repeatable they way WDW is for us. The list of things I love in DisneyWorld dwarfs the UO list.

Epic Universe might change our habits. Maybe we get APs and do UO a few times since 2017 was the last time any of us visited. Giving it a thorough think… if that becomes common and WDW suffers, then they’d likely release some good deals that have me running back :laughing:
Same. I've been to both Disney and Universal twice since Covid. Outside of the Harry Potter parts of Universal no one is that impressed in my family with Universal, so it's a 2-day, 3 days if we ride the HP rides 5 times each lol, experience for us. We easily spend a week at Disney without getting bored.

We also stayed at Hard Rock at Universal last time, and the rooms were really beat up and dirty. We've had some not perfectly clean Disney rooms but never a combo of stains all over and not cleaned very well.

Universal is great.
Disney is great.
Cedar Point is great.

It's all great. I don't know why it has to be a competition either.

👍🏻 They’re all great for the people who like them & different people like different things. If WDW isn’t for you anymore, just move on. (General you, not you personally @Brian Noble . ) Doesn’t mean it’s not right, great or liked by many others. And those that like it & find value there won’t have their minds changed by others saying other parks are better. Vacation where you want & let others do the same. Gets really old hearing how horrible WDW has become on a WDW fan site. Just move on if you feel that way & leave the rest of us alone.

We also stayed at Hard Rock at Universal last time, and the rooms were really beat up and dirty. We've had some not perfectly clean Disney rooms but never a combo of stains all over and not cleaned very well.

It's been many years since we visited UO and this is part of the reason. The last time we stayed at Portofino, it was disgusting. We had blood drips down the outside of the toilet and a bloody handprint on the door. Chocolate ice cream?? that had dripped and dried down the leg of the table. Missing pages from the in-room menu book. Trash in the hallways that was not touched for days. A green slime at the top of the slide deck that was there for days before being cleaned up before our last day. The cabana we rented was dirty, had a broken mini-fridge, and a very wobbly table. Our calls to Star service were met with indifference. The response email I received after advising management of our issues during our stay was just a standard "apology and our management will look into it." Nothing personalized and no follow up. We decided at that point, that unless we read stellar reviews of Portofino, we wouldn't waste our money there again and would rather commute from our WDW hotel.

We visited WDW Jan 26 - Feb 5 and were planning to visit UO for 2 days but we were having so much fun at WDW, we decided to just spend the time there.

Another factor for our family is the lack of care regarding food allergies at UO. Unless things have changed, we usually were just handed a book to look over the ingredients to decide if it was safe and that was it. No special menus. No visits from a chef. Just indifference. WDW does it right and we feel so blessed to visit and feel comfortable that our daughter has so many allergy safe choices with specialized chefs taking care of her orders when needed.

Are some Disney World Hotels (Disney and non-Disney owned) going to permanently close because of the current financial situation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter