Disney World without the Parks?

Once.Upon.A.Time

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Due to circumstances, we were thinking of doing Disney without the parks. What is your opinion of this? We are a couple in our early to mid-30s. We enjoy going the pools, eating out and sight seeing so I'm thinking it might work? Any input? Thinking of maybe staying at the Swan/Dolphin.

Thank you so much.

Hi all,

Due to circumstances, we were thinking of doing Disney without the parks. What is your opinion of this? We are a couple in our early to mid-30s. We enjoy going the pools, eating out and sight seeing so I'm thinking it might work? Any input? Thinking of maybe staying at the Swan/Dolphin.

Thank you so much.
For going to the pool and eating out swan/dolphin is a great option. Great food all around you at this hotel and the surrounding hotels that are in walking distance. If you want something more laid back look into the cabins at the fort. Lots to do there if you enjoy the outdoors.

We went to Disney Springs, then got on the first bus that came by. From that resort, we took a boat to another, and so went our day. We sometimes just sat in a rocker, wandered the resort, grabbed a snack. or just people-watched. That was before he SkyLiner! that would add a whole new set of adventures!

We are staying at SSR, what is the easiest way to get to the skyline to ride it?

I have done two trips no parks. On nice days, relax by the pool/resort. Evening - dinner at one of the resorts. Or Disney Springs for dinner, dessert and entertainment. Or go to the Boardwalk area (pre-COVID) for dinner, dessert, entertainment (not as much as DS) and a walk around the lake. Jelly Rolls is fun there too a little later.

When the weather is not that great during the day, we also hop to other resorts for lunch. Animal Kingdom Lodge is great for a meal and view of the animals. Pre-COVID - we took the free Boma and Jiko tour too.

Spa, Golf? Some Shopping? Meet up with old friends or family in the area or within one/two hour drive. We have done these things even when we do spend some time in the parks.

Do you like the water parks? Will you have a car?

It can definitely be done. Happy planning!

Thank you all for the replies. I have never done Disney without the parks, so I like to hear people's experiences.

Thank you all for the replies. I have never done Disney without the parks, so I like to hear people's experiences.
We have resort stays at the Poly where we don’t go to the parks.
We love it! The castle is always in view, so you’re reminded where you are. :)
For us, it’s all about the theming and the Poly hits it out of the park for us.

We laze by the pool, grab food form the pool area/Captain Cooks/appetizers drinks in the evening from the Tambu Lounge. We never make a reservation.
Watch fireworks from the pool, watch the electric light pageant each night.
Take the boat to MK for fun! Lol. Check out GF and Contemporary a few times as well on our stays.

I wouldn't stay on property if not planning to do any parks. You pay a premium for Disney hotels since you are closer to the parks and have better access. If not planning to do that, many other great places to stay in the area for far less money.

Last edited:
I've been looking at options, too. Personally, I don't think I'd be happy with a resort only stay at Swan and Dolphin, but I am looking at Fort Wilderness and Polynesian/Grand Floridian. It depends on what you want to do and the type of atmosphere that you enjoy. To me, doing a resort only stay isn't too different than sea days on a cruise line. So, look at the options that you have onsite and see if those are good enough for you for more than a day.

I wouldn't stay on property if not planning to do any parks. You pay a premium for Disney hotels since you are closer to the parks and have better access. If not planning to do that, many other great places to stay in the area for far less money.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many other major hotels located in the area, can probably find them on any of those travel websites. You can also rent a private home on something like VRBO.

I have to agree with other posters when they say, stay somewhere else. We have been going for years and we would not pay WDW overpriced resort prices if we were not going to the parks. There are a bunch of offsite resorts that offer so much more amenities, for much less $$.

We don't go to the parks any longer but have enjoyed our stays at Fort Wilderness. During normal times you can have a great trip without leaving.
That being said, there wasn't enough open last October to make the stay worth while. The restaurants we like were closed. Resort hopping, while using internal transportation was available you're back to not enough open to enjoy. My wife wanted to check out the Skyway which we did. Rode the entire thing. She liked it but it was a one and done. The Meadows pool had limited occupancy but we like the smaller pool anyway. We won't be back.

Hi all,

Thank you so much.
I have been going to WDW without going to parks for over ten years (I have hit the parks if relatives are with me and want to go). Otherwise, I just resort hop for architecture and good for fun. S&D is great, as you are right near so many options for food, and have a great pool area included. I have apent days jumping the bus to WL, eat/drink and look around, and then hit the boat to FW and Contemp. Then hit the monorail for the others. Head to AKL for a day, eat at Sanaa, and animal watch. It gives you the chance to see all the resorts that you want, as you do not have the feeling of dread that you are missing the parks. Have fun.

I have been going to WDW without going to parks for over ten years (I have hit the parks if relatives are with me and want to go). Otherwise, I just resort hop for architecture and good for fun. S&D is great, as you are right near so many options for food, and have a great pool area included. I have apent days jumping the bus to WL, eat/drink and look around, and then hit the boat to FW and Contemp. Then hit the monorail for the others. Head to AKL for a day, eat at Sanaa, and animal watch. It gives you the chance to see all the resorts that you want, as you do not have the feeling of dread that you are missing the parks. Have fun.

Thank you. I just like being in the Disney atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter