Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** September 2-4, 2011 ** Check-In

Belle Ella

DIS Veteran
DisneylandHalfMarathon.png

September 2 - 4, 2011

Will you be participating in any of the 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend events? Drop by here so we can share tips, encouragement, and planning details with one another!

Announcement!
From the official website for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend as of 8/1:
"Official Race number pick-up/waiver forms are now ready to be downloaded. To pick up your race packet, you must bring a Photo ID and your signed waiver. A waiver must be completed and signed by each participant. If the participant is under 18 years old, the waiver must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian. No exceptions will be made. "
Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Event Information & Schedule:

Friday, September 2nd
Disneyland: 9am-10pm + MM 8am-9am
• Mickey's Soundsational Parade: 4:30pm, 6pm
• Fantasmic: 9pm, 10:30pm
• Magical Fireworks: 9:30pm

California Adventure: 10am-10pm
• World of Color: 9pm, 10:15pm

Disneyland Health and Fitness Expo @ the Disneyland Hotel Exhibit Hall
noon - 8:00pm

Saturday, September 3
Disneyland: 9am-12am

Star Tours 5K @ Disneyland Park & California Adventure Park
6:45am @ Mickey & Friends Parking Structure

Participants:

• austin&pipermom
• BACON (#4175)
• Belle Ella (#743)
• CruzDirectorKaren
• cyberjoek
• jeanigor (#3188)
• kim3339 (#3989)
• ludari
• pyrxtc
• Reep (#411)
• sierranevada
• yanna

Course Map:

StarTours5K_Map-1.jpg

Disneyland Kids' Races @ Downtown Disney near ESPN Zone
10:00am

Disneyland Health and Fitness Expo @ the Disneyland Hotel Exhibit Hall
9:00am - 5:00pm

Pasta in the Park Party @ Disneyland Park Festival Area
6:00pm (advanced reservations required)

Sunday, September 4
Disneyland: 9am-12am + MM 8am-9am

Disneyland Half Marathon @ Disneyland Resort & City of Anaheim
Wheelchair start @ 5:59am - Runner Start @ 6:00am

Participants:

• amyup
• BACON (#3593)
• BealsRwe
• CruzDirectorKaren
• cyberjoek
• DisneyDudet
• Disneyland_emily
• DisneyRunnerGirl
• Embroidery Grandma
• grizbuzz
• HipToBeKyle (#5471)
• JDBlair
• jeanigor (#7921)
• johde
• kim3339 (#7712)
• kolohe_lady
• lapdwife
• ludari
• Maryj
• medievaldale (#6591 & #6582)
• MelindaRuns
• MrsPinup
• MotoXPrincess99 (#5927 & #5434)
• natlovesarielpins
• Padstack
• Pleglech (#204)
• Pollito916
• Qltrgrl2
• Reep (#62)
• Saylan
• SKWDW
• verticalchaos
• wendylady36

Waitlist

• My<3BelongstoMickey

Course Map:

DisneylandHalf_Map-1.jpg

We've done the 5K the last 2 years and it is a lot of fun. If you are running, it's easier to take advantage of all the photo ops that suck time away from the walkers. They change the course a little bit every year due to happenings and construction, so it is always guaranteed to be a bit different!

Register early, because the 5K will fill up by March or so.

Here's the link to the blog I wrote for the DIS after doing the 5K last year.
http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/09/14/unique-way-to-see-backstage-the-disneyland-5k/

and the one I wrote for the Half Marathon:
http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/09/26/keeping-pace-5th-anniversary-of-the-disneyland-half-marathon/

Thanks!! I totally registered for it last night. I'm super excited. I loved reading the blogs that you wrote. They've got me even more excited that I will actually get to particpate this year.

I haven't but my friend and her husband did and loved it! All the characters and encouragers and bands, etc.
I will give this tip. If you are staying at the Grand and arriving during the 1/2 marathon, you CANNOT GET TO THE HOTEL. After the cab driving around for 45 minutes checking with every police officer, CM, traffic director we saw, it was finnaly discovered that you really could not get there from here..so..we were dropped off by the DLH and dragged all our stuff..car seats, pillows, blankets (we had come in by train) luggage etc past all the runners, through DTD and finally to the Grand. The cabbie only charged us for the regular fare, but we gave him a nice tip..very frustrating for us all, so be aware.

I'm biting the bullet this year!! OK, so I totally can't do the full 1/2 marathon just yet but I can easily do a 5K and I just registered for this years!! It will be my early birthday trip!! Has anyone else participated in this before (either the 1/2 or the 5K)?

Yes, we've done the 5k. LOVED every minute of it! It was weird being in one and not being timed. But after going through it, we understood since there were so many stop points with characters.

I haven't but my friend and her husband did and loved it! All the characters and encouragers and bands, etc.
I will give this tip. If you are staying at the Grand and arriving during the 1/2 marathon, you CANNOT GET TO THE HOTEL. After the cab driving around for 45 minutes checking with every police officer, CM, traffic director we saw, it was finnaly discovered that you really could not get there from here..so..we were dropped off by the DLH and dragged all our stuff..car seats, pillows, blankets (we had come in by train) luggage etc past all the runners, through DTD and finally to the Grand. The cabbie only charged us for the regular fare, but we gave him a nice tip..very frustrating for us all, so be aware.

Thanks for the tip. Now, you mean if we were to be checking in the day of right? Our plan is to stay onsite (preferably the GCH) for one night - Friday into Saturday for the 5K.

Thanks for the tip. Now, you mean if we were to be checking in the day of right? Our plan is to stay onsite (preferably the GCH) for one night - Friday into Saturday for the 5K.

Sunday is a mess in the whole city with the 1/2. They get us through the 5k early enough on Saturday for the park to open... It's easy enough to ask for late check out or drop your luggage with the bell guy on your way to the start. We stay Friday to Sunday. I just like being there seeing it all. I strive to be one of the 1/2ers one day so it's fun seeing them go.

;) I'll keep that in mind. So far we're just planning on the one night of staying onsite money wise but it just may be a possibility to do the whole weekend, especially if we want to do DLR again during the weekend.

One day I hope to be a 1/2'er as well!

Yes..you'll be fine..we were trying to check in about 7:00 am the day OF...tons of runners and no way to get anywhere.

I've done the 1/2 twice - the runs are great fun! Well organized and lots of characters. We would come in Thursday pm and spend the day at the park - both years the parks were relatively empty. We would relax on Sat and do the race on Sunday. After the 1/2, we got massages at the Grand - delicious!

I asked the CM's the first year why so few people and they said historically Labor Day is slow for them since most kids are back in school - that is why they are now holding the races that weekend - first year they were in Oct.

Have fun!

I asked the CM's the first year why so few people and they said historically Labor Day is slow for them since most kids are back in school - that is why they are now holding the races that weekend - first year they were in Oct.

Have fun!

Interesting! That's a little fun fact right there.

I'm pretty excited to be doing it myself this year! I kinda wish I was doing the half... But maybe I'll do the 5k around twice? Are you even allowed to do that?

Jazz, next year you're doing the half! :)

Here's a couple pics from last year.
We were just about in the middle of the pack
P9030442.jpg

P9030446.jpg

P9030448.jpg

The tight spots were fun
P9030451.jpg

P9030477.jpg

Aw, thanks for posting the pics!! I can't wait to share my own. Only 9 months to go, right?

The DL Half was my first half last year and I will be back this year :) I am actually running in the Princess Half at WDW next month so I can get the Coast to Coast medal as well. Good luck with the 5k! The Disney races are amazing and so encouraging :cheer2:

So fun! I wish I were brave enough to try the 1/2 but I could barely handle the 10K walk I do with work every year (AIDS Walk SF). I just know I wouldn't be ready for that. So I think the 5K is a great place to start and I can always strive for next year.

So fun! I wish I were brave enough to try the 1/2 but I could barely handle the 10K walk I do with work every year (AIDS Walk SF). I just know I wouldn't be ready for that. So I think the 5K is a great place to start and I can always strive for next year.

Absolutely! I started with a 5K and worked my way up to a half. This year is going to be overcoming the full. Running can be addicting :cutie:

:rotfl: We'll see if I can get into it again! I ran track in junior high but I was always more of a sprinter than a distance runner. I would be tempted to go out and get some running in now but I'm not too keen on doing that in the cold (or sick, lol). Going to be getting more excercise in though, and soon. Hope it will help a little. My dance class starts up again this weekend.

DH and I will be heading to Disneyland for the half marathon in Sept 2011. We just completed our very first half marathon at WDW this past weekend. We cannot wait to be able to complete the Coast to Coast Challenge and get our extra medal for completing a half on both coasts this year.

I am not a runner, I run/walk/run. Thanks to Jeff Galloway (Coach for Run Disney) I mad it through my 1st half marathon without being injured. I loved it! I took his advice from the expo the day prior and went out slow. I can honestly say that his run/walk/run method allows everyone to be able to complete a 1/2 if they want to. I had a lot of bumps in the road with my training last year, and my longest run leading into it was only 6.2 miles. I didn't care that my time was 3:19:07 I enjoyed myself, took pictures along the way, and I can celebrate knowing I completed it wanting to do more. My DH is a runner, and he completed in 2:20:47...he wants to complete the DL one much quicker. I would like to shave some time off mine, and am now working my way to faster pace, but I will still slow down, take pictures, and enjoy.

I booked the Disneyland Hotel this am as we would love to stay on property. I'm thinking we will look to stay off-property close by to save $$$ as we will be traveling from Orlando for this one.

Good luck to you! Be sure to check out www.rundisney.com and www.jeffgalloway.com regarding the training plans and also other tips to completeing your first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter