Disneyland and DCA really need to rethink their mobile ordering / cashless system. It's now counter effective

It was me that posted that. I sometimes like to browse the DL jobs site and Indeed.com, where Disneyland posts open positions. Right now there are literally like 6 postings, mostly maintenence/grounds crew full time jobs. Absolutely nothing for park cast members in any capacity. There are usually several of those types of postings up.

From a business perspective, if half the folks you've called back are unhappy and then calling out of work, why not do a big hiring push for new blood? Strange. I'm still guessing they're just running things as bare bones as possible until they reach whatever their target is for a more profitable timeline at DL.

From a business perspective, if half the folks you've called back are unhappy and then calling out of work, why not do a big hiring push for new blood? Strange. I'm still guessing they're just running things as bare bones as possible until they reach whatever their target is for a more profitable timeline at DL.

Maybe it’s because the union has a hand in hiring? My husband’s job is union and companies are required to hire from the union’s “work bench”. Companies lay people off and they go on the “bench” and the union will freeze new hires being allowed into the union until until everyone that is on the bench that wants to work is hired back. Maybe that’s how is works with the DLR unions...

after 2 days here is my experience so far with mobile ordering.
Only a few of the more popular places seem to be an issue as far as filling up their pick up windows early. I haven’t had an issue at all finding something on fairly short notice if I wanted.

Tropical hideaway dole whips is one of those or can be. You will want to order that a few hours before you want to get it for sure. The pick up of the dole whips varied for us. Day one we had a 12:30 pick up time and it was very quick to get it once we hit the we are here button. Day 2 there was a much longer line and it took closer to 20 min after we hit the we are here button.

Jolly Holiday- ate lunch here on day one. We ordered early but didn’t need to. We could have ordered right when we were hungry on this day as they had immediate times available at 11:30 / noonish.

Gibson I cream- this place is a little deceptive. We ordered later and the return windows were readily available on the app for most times including right then. But after hitting we are here, it takes a good while before they call you in to get the order. DD and DW had the same experience on day 2 that I had day 1. So don’t order ice cream there if you are in a hurry to get it and go. We were ready for a break so it wasn’t a big deal for us.

Red rose tavern - we ordered fairly early and got an 11:30 window. I didn’t look at what times were available later so not sure how fast they fill up. getting the food was quick and easy however once we hit we are here.,

Ronto Wraps- Everytime I have looked at their return times they are always wide open. We order early for dinner (early afternoon) but they have always (for us) had almost immediate return times in late after noon. And they have been fast with food pick up as well. DD really likes the ronto wrap so she has had that both days so far.

French Market- I had dinner here on day 2. Ordered a little late and had to get a return time a little earlier than I preferred. I got a 5pm return time at around 3:30 but the next choice was 7pm and I knew I didn’t want to wait that long so I took the 5pm time. was a short wait for food. I had the herb roasted chicken and it was my best meal so far. (the others have been good as well but this was very good).

So for the most part mobile ordering has not been bad for us. And even if we hadn’t ordered early I always see that SOMETHING is available for shorter notice if you are open and not set on a certain item or place. If you have your mind set on something then order it early to make sure you get it.

At red rose tavern when we were looking for a table there was a mom and kids who were very upset while talking to a CM because they couldn’t get food right then. I was picking up our food so I personally didn’t see it. DD said the lady was crying. It was 11:30. I looked at the app and the return times for the tavern weren’t available then but lots of other places had open slots for immediate return times.

I’ve seen several surprised and frustrated people trying to get food on short notice from the popular spots (seems like any place that sells burgers is popular).

Looking for more recent experiences with mobile order. Do you think it is improving at all? We are holding table service reservations but that's not really our "usual".

My family's visits to Disneyland were fine in terms of mobile ordering. We planned a few hours ahead to select a window. Our food was generally ready within 10 minutes of clicking "I'm here" and there was only a short wait to pick up the ready food.

DCA on the other hand was not a good experience for mobile ordering.

I was there yesterday (June 12) and the lunch experience at Paradise Garden Grill was miserable. It took about 30 minutes after clicking "I'm here" for the food to be ready. During that time, we tried to find seating. However, nearly all the seats were taken by people (like us) waiting for food, but not receiving it. I would be happy to stand aside and not claim a seat while waiting if staff were protecting seats for customers with food, but that was not happening. After food was declared ready, there was another 20 minute wait in a very slow moving line in direct sunlight (very hot day) to pick up the food. Overall really unpleasant.

At dinner time, we had a mobile order for Flo's. The wait for "I'm ready" was about 20 minutes. The pickup was basically immediate after that. Not nearly as bad as the lunch experience, but still not great.

Mobile ordering has worked well for the most part for us. I’ve now had three experiences where I clicked “I’m here” and it just wasn’t turning over. I got in line for all of them and the CM just marked it ready and I was able to pick it up no problem.

Last night we mobile ordered ice cream at Cozy Cone, but it showed 30 mins out with nobody standing there. I went over to ask why it was so far out and she didn’t know, but manually overrode it and gave us our ice cream then.

So it’s definitely worth asking CMs about it if it’s taking a long time.

I know of a few people who were laid off entirely who are headed back in June - there was some lag time between them announcing it on social media and when they actually return (two mentioned “June 13” when posting over a week ago) - so they’ve been re-hired, but it’s not affecting anything yet at the moment. One’s a RR engineer, so I wasn’t surprised they

Another CM who was furloughed but never let go still hasn’t been recalled. She used to do attractions and was most recently a character host. She’s dying to go back, has been able to visit twice as a CM, so she’s still in the system... but no word on coming back to work. 🤷‍♀️

It sounds like it’s getting increasingly unpleasant to be a CM. Makes me sad.
My daughter has not been called back. She did entertainment/character hosting. She had auditioned for the AC show just before Covid shutdown and was in the final 6 when it all went away. She did not get called back for the new show. She's not in the union yet and had just received her 1-year pin when she was furloughed and subsequently laid off. Right now she's both wanting to be called back but also afraid of that because she has nowhere to stay until her new apartment lease starts in Aug. She's currently living at home (500 miles away) until she can move back for school. One big plus to being a CM is that she was able to find great options for roommates and apartments on the private CM board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter