Disneyland and Eastbound Panama Canal (AKA Patricia who??) **Complete**

ShellB8585

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

:welcome: to my TR for our most recent trip. There is a little Disneyland, a little San Diego and a lot of Disney cruising! Please bear with me, this is only my second TR and I am still finding my way ;)

Let me start with the introductions.

The Who
Myself - Shelley, big Disney fan. Love a lot of the films, fave character is Donald Duck :donald:

DH - Carl, not as big a Disney fan as I am but he does love it and is very happy to indulge my Disney side.

Both from South West England, born and brought up in Plymouth before we moved to Bridgwater over 7 years ago. We have been together 10 years in Feb and married 6 years in Jan of 2016.

We went on our fist Disney cruise in 2012. We were a little apprehensive at first - in the way a lot of people think cruising is only for older people (how wrong) that it can be a little stuffy (not on Disney) maybe even that we'd feel out of place(HA!) but we fell in love with it and this is now our 3rd completed cruise and we have another 2 booked!!

Here is a picture of us at Disneyland Paris in May

I use this photo to not give anything away from the TR ;)

The What the when and the where
We spent 4 nights in Anaheim, 2 nights in San Diego followed by a 14 night Cruise on the Disney Wonder

The Why
We had bought a house in 2013 and it was a bit of a fixer upper (we're still not quite finished) We have worked very hard, stripping it right back, adding new wiring (there was only 1 socket in each room - nowhere near enough for this day in age!!!) We had worked so hard and hadn't been on vacation for quite sometime so we wanted to treat ourselves. Plus it was my 30th birthday in May - the week we went to Disneyland Paris (if anyone is interested there is a link to my first ever TR in my signature) so we wanted to do something special.

I really wanted to do Alaska but Carl isn't so keen on the thought of cruising where it's cold. I will say we spoke to a lot of people on board who told us we MUST do Alaska so his mind may start changing - fingers crossed!

The why to the TR - well what better way to relive your trip!?!?

I have to upload all of the photos so bear with me for a couple days but then we can really get going. Hope you'll all enjoy this TR as much as I have enjoyed all of the ones I have read and as much as we enjoyed this vacation!!

Last edited:

Following along!!! popcorn::::yes:::wave:

My DH wants to do Alaska one day, but my Los Angeles butt isn't ready for the layering of clothes! :lmao:

My dream is to the Panama Canal one day. :love::cloud9::hippie::D

It seems you and I can't seem to get enough DCL and we really miss being in the ship. I've been finding that you've been following the same TR's as me!!! :rotfl2::rotfl::cheer2::laughing::woohoo:

I.Am.Stalking.You!!!:smokin: Also, being that we are both from the West Coast I think we're more obsessed with cruises involving The Wonder than the other ships :goodvibes:goodvibes

I.Am.Stalking.You!!!:smokin: Also, being that we are both from the West Coast I think we're more obsessed with cruises involving The Wonder than the other ships :goodvibes:goodvibes
Ha, ha, ha!!! You're right!!! We are more obsessed because all we have is Wonder and she rarely comes here! I was really bummed that they didn't repeat the Baja cruises or so longer Pacific Coast cruises for 2016. I'm waiting for the itineraries to be released for May 2017 and August/September/October 2017.

Ha, ha, ha!!! You're right!!! We are more obsessed because all we have is Wonder and she rarely comes here! I was really bummed that they didn't repeat the Baja cruises or so longer Pacific Coast cruises for 2016. I'm waiting for the itineraries to be released for May 2017 and August/September/October 2017.

Airfare from the west coast (be it Vancouver or Seattle) is so dang expensive over to Florida, which is why we probably won't end up doing a Caribbean cruise (we briefly considered changing our current Alaska reservation to a Caribbean cruise).

Sorry to go :offtopic::hyper2:

Following! I too am addicted to DCL so looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Welcome everyone!! I am still working on re sizing some photos but I will have the first installment very soon so please stay tuned :-)

Saturday 17th October – Let the magic begin!

Up at 1:30am :scared1: for reference this is 5:30 pm on Friday 16th October at our destination. We showered, put food out for the cat loaded up the car and were on the road and buying coffees at McDonalds by 2:25. Caffeinated we drove to the parking at Bristol airport. Car dropped off we headed to the airport. Unfortunately we were about half an hour early for check in (should have stayed in bed!!) so we grabbed another coffee. Check in and security were a breeze then we had a little while before boarding our first flight so we had a bit of a wander and bought some breakfast at Burger king. Neither of us fancied regular breakfast things so we went for a burger – Crunchy cheese whopper (burger topped with deep fried cheese – I can’t recall which) and it hit the spot.

We boarded at 05:55 (21:55 in LA) and took off at 06:25. This was our first flight of the day to Amsterdam. Not a lot happened, we tried to have a nap but failed miserably. We were served a cheese sandwich which we weren’t fans of.

The sun is rising on our first day of vacation!!

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/ShellB8585/media/EBPC 2015/EBPC20201520006_zpsxg6zr9c5.jpg.html
ETA I know that is a light on the wing and not the sun (my DH thinks I think it was) I was just showing it getting lighter

Once we arrived in Amsterdam we had about an hour wait. We checked the automated machines for our next gate and headed over arriving around 0800 where we read until boarding time. Amsterdam is an hour ahead of the UK but I will keep it to UK timings so as not to confuse matters. We boarded at 0840 taking off at 0920 – Los Angeles here we come!!!!

The flight was uneventful. We tried to sleep

But it was a little too noisy. The food was ok, there were salted cashews and a drinks service, we both went for soft drinks. Then for the meal there was no option only a chicken dish, it was plane food so not the best but I will say the chicken had a really nice flavour. It came with a forgettable cucumber salad, bread roll and a nice lime mousse with berries. The flight was a long one so we also had a second service toward the end which had a tasty spinach flatbread and an ok tiramisu. Otherwise we read and watched a little on the TV.

We arrived in LA and were getting off the plane at 11:50 local time or 19:50 to us so this has been an 18 ish hour day so far.

Our LAX airport experience was the best we ever had! Within 30 minutes of standing up to get off the plane we had gone through the automated ESTA booths, had our ID checked, picked up our luggage and were seated on the bus for Alamo car rental.

We picked up our wheels – This trip was mostly things I wanted truth be told (although DH hasn’t done badly if you ask me) so I wanted to treat him to the car he wanted and we managed to get a convertible black mustang!

Obligatory photo of the temperature to make the folks back home jealous

Then we were on our way! I drove the first part from the airport to Walmart (up the road from Disney) I do most of the driving when we are together and Carl is a much better navigator. We picked up some essentials – beer, snacks ;) and some toiletries I couldn’t be bothered to weigh the cases down with.

We picked up something different for us and we quite enjoyed these which was good as we didn’t know they sold Kona onboard!

We actually ended up not drinking 2 of these and with DCLs new alcohol policy, which I will get into more a little later, we couldn’t take them with us so we left them in the fridge at the Best Western when we checked out in San Diego. Hopefully a hard worker got to keep them!

See I told you essentials!! We were on vacation and don’t usually eat and drink like this. In fact 2 and a half of those packets of chips, half the pop tarts and more than half the cereal came home with us!!

Shopping done we couldn’t check in to our condo until 4 so we headed over to our chosen lunch spot

:cool2: Don’t be fooled – he was happy happy happy. Just tired and is not a fan of my constant photos (although he really had ought to get used to that!!)

We were heading here:

Our cousins love this place and based on that love we decided to give it a go. There was a point I nearly knocked it off the itinerary but I am so glad I didn’t! We think this may have been the best meal of the trip – it’s the one we still talk about. Circumstances will have helped it as we were hungry, we hadn’t had a decent meal for a while (our dinner on Friday was take away). And I am only talking about the food here – the service was really poor but the food made up for it.

Side note; we parked at the Garden Walk multi storey right behind the cheesecake factory. For those travelling from the UK there are no payment stations like you would find here, instead you will pay an attendant when you reach the exit. We paid about $3 I think.

We decided to share an Entrée then have a cheesecake each.

Honestly the best sandwich I have ever eaten – the Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Fries served with ketchup and a tasty marinara sauce

I am already looking forward to my next US trip just for this sandwich!

Now the cheesecakes were a little large and rich for us – we would have been better off if we had shared one of these too as we couldn’t quite finish them. Carl chose the White Chocolate and Macadamia

And I had Smores Galore

I always thought I was a sweet tooth kinda girl but it turns out I am now more savoury. Next time it’ll be a sandwich each and a cheesecake to share ;)

Last edited:
Arrival cont…

Once we were full we headed to our condo, unloaded the car, took some photos (sorry, should have taken these BEFORE unloading the car! Excuse mess…)

Also excuse darkness. I didn’t put the lights or flash on as to my eyes it was light enough (and I was a little tired so didn’t really think about it)

EBPC20201520028_zpss1lfe1go.jpg

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/ShellB8585/media/EBPC 2015/EBPC20201520028_zpss1lfe1go.jpg.html
The living area – the sofa was comfy and is also a double sofa bed

Back to the entrance from in front of the coffee table and sofa

There is a downstairs WC and laundry room opposite the entrance.

The kitchen was very well equipped and had a small dining area behind it. We didn’t really eat here as we were making the most of our time out and about.

EBPC20201520022_zpsyzo3gzzt.jpg

A Little courtyard with seating for 6 and a Barbecue. We only sat out here once but it seems to have the sun in the afternoon.

Then upstairs had 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and an en-suite. I believe it sleeps 8 in total and was very comfortable and I think it would be with more than just the 2 we had. Although it may be a little crowded with 8! They also had DVDs TVs and consoles, games and toys so plenty to keep you occupied on a longer visit. We didn’t get chance to use most of this stuff!

Bedroom 2

Master bedroom (Our room)

Which had a walk in wardrobe although not huge and as we were only there for a few days we just lived out of our cases only hanging our formal wear. The en-suite had a nice big shower though

So all unloaded and things put away we each had showers. By this time it was 5:30 so the 24 hour mark since we got up! But we weren’t quite finished yet. We chilled out for a little while watching some TV and had a nice hot cup of tea before leaving around 6:30 to head to the Honda Center

Before we left we thought about catching a bus or getting a taxi and having a beer at the gig but by the time we were ready we would have been late so I decided to drive. I think it was about $20 to park. BUT beers were about $12 each so we saved ourselves some money.

So why did we go to the Honda Center???? Anyone who read my PTR will know we were going to see one of my favourite bands….

The Foo fighters!!! :rockband:

I knew they were going to be playing a little while ago but it was sold out. Well my wonderful DH noticed a couple weeks before the trip some tickets were up for resale so he bought them :love2:. They were cheap seats (for more than they probably were originally) but you only live once and we thought it’d be a pretty cool start to our vacation!! This was my 2nd time seeing them, the first was actually my first ever gig when I was a teen so it was really nice for me. It was DHs first time.

I didn’t take my camera but DH took some videos on his phone (not the greatest quality) and some photos

We had a cracking time and it really set the vacation up on a great note.

But we didn’t make it until the end unfortunately, we saw over an hour. We were starting to get a little tired and I really did not like the idea of leaving at the same time as everyone else and getting stuck in traffic so we left early for a quick drive home.

Back home I got a bag ready for the following day and crawled into bed at 22:30 – a full but fun 29 hours after I got up!

Last edited:
Destination Disneyland and a Frozen Experience

Day 2 did not start as planned! The parks were opening at 8 and we were supposed to get up at 7, we didn’t know how long it’d take to walk to the parks and we wanted time for showers etc. Carl set his alarm for 7:15 (which I apparently agreed to?) and my clock was still on UK time.

We were ready to leave by 7:45. We had to pick up our tickets at the turnstiles. We were in the park by 8:05 so not bad at all!!!

Can you guess who had which ticket?

Our first port of call was one I had been very excited as I am a HUGE fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas….

It’s Scaaaaaaary…

Most of my ride photos didn’t come out very well so I wont subject you to them but this is my fave with an effect from the camera

This version is so so much better! I loved it. I am glad we got on there as a walk on first thing as it was very very popular (understandably).

Next up is actually our favourite ride of any we have ever been on and it is our favourite version over the WDW one…

Splash Mountain!! And it was a walk on

Everybody has a laughing place

After Splash we went on an adventure with Pooh Bear

Then to another favourite. Now I am sorry America but I do think the Paris version may be my overall favourite of the 3 I have been on. I just love the overall theming of the area..

.. although I wouldn’t mind doing a little more research ;)

I didn’t get any photos, I just sat back and enjoyed. After this we picked up

Then, after a productive start, it was time to head over to Plaza Inn for breakfast with Minnie (the only character we didn’t actually see but that was ok, I’m not her biggest fan)

The food was ok. I was a bad diser and only remembered to get food pictures half way through our second plate (can I blame jet lag??)

I can tell you our first plate was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrown biscuit and gravy for me, sans biscuit and gravy for DH. 2nd was French toast and waffles for both of us which were yummy!

We saw Chip and Dale

Last edited:
…Cont

Captain Hook didn’t seem to be a fan of Carl (I don’t blame him ;) ) but was nothing but a gentleman to me...

And Finally Rafiki

Just as Rafiki got to our table Tigger dragged him away

Tigger had found a walking stick and we had a whole circle of life moment with Rafiki holding up the stick!! V funny.

We decided we didn’t want (need) any more food so didn’t hang around for Minnie and Eeyore (Carls fave Winne The Pooh character)

Full enough we walked over to Space Mountain to pick up some fastpasses by which time our fast passes could be used for Indi.

Quick pic en route

I really enjoy this ride! The Indiana Jones in Paris is an outdoor rollercoaster which is good but I do prefer the one in California. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is the same as Dinosaur at WDW? But the theming is much better here!

Our next plan was Thunder Mountain but it was down when we got there so instead we headed to Big Thunder Ranch which was nicely decorated for my favourite season

I do really like this little area and it’s a shame it will be going in the very near future to make way for Star Wars. I love Star Wars but, in my opinion, it just doesn’t feel right in Walt’s park. I completely get it at Hollywood Studios, i can see the fit. I guess time will tell though, maybe I’m wrong.

Sorely needing Caffeine we headed toward fantasyland and sat in village house where I had a coffee and Carl had a coke. Was nice to sit down as tiredness was creeping in. It was now 11:20 (I know because I updated my notes whilst drinking ;) ) The park had gotten pretty busy by now, in fact I don’t think I have ever been in a busier park than this day.

After our break we had a little wander around fantasyland all the rides had fairly big queues so we kept going into toontown

Which we enjoyed.

Then we left Toon town and headed to a Disneyland Staple

The regular queue was 45 minutes so, as you sit one behind another and there is no picture, we figured we might as well go single rider and we were on only 1 bobsled apart and within 10 mins. Was a bit more rattely than I remember – hurt my back a little.

Next stop was Buzz – I am appalling at this game I much prefer Midway Mania. I do like that they get the scores the other way around on the pictures though ;)

Then did a little window shopping before our Space Mountain return. I quite liked the Ghost Galaxy overlay just something a little different. Once we arrived back on Earth we hot footed it over to New Orleans Square for our late lunch ADR.
TBC...

Last edited:
...cont'd

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/ShellB8585/media/EBPC%202015%20DIS%20TR/b6433931-c928-47be-884c-342418674c23_zpshmji5c9g.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/S...8-47be-884c-342418674c23_zpshmji5c9g.jpg.html
After a lot of research I knew what I wanted – Pomme Frites and the 3 cheese Monte Cristo which I had with a Diet Coke

Do you remember what I said about my new found unsweet tooth? Well the sandwich was just far too sweet for me. I ate it and I’m glad I tried it but I don’t need another. The Pomme Frites however were delicious and I will just order a bowl of those next time ;)

Carl had the Mardi Gras Chicken Sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries which he enjoyed

After we settled the bill we headed straight to the park exit, do not pass go, do not collect $200 you gotta get somewhere....

We were heading back to the condo to pick up the car and head over to the Honda Center. I had a little bit of an annoying experience here. We queued for about 20 minutes to get in the guy then asked me to empty my bag so he can checks it’s interior to only then decide “no backpacks” – I don’t have a problem with the rule, the rules are the rules, but I have a problem with the fact I had spoken with a couple personnel and been passed by several and there was no mention then I had to empty it for no reason :furious:....So we headed back to the car to chuck it in and back to queue again!

Anyway that saga over we could kick back and enjoy the game. Now I am neutral, I do not support either team and this section will be my opinion only (don’t want to upset anyone) I think Minnesota Wild dominated and actually deserved the win but the ducks got their first win of the season – 4-1. We had been to an LA Kings game a few years earlier and the atmosphere was so much better at Kings and the central screens were broken so we couldn’t see any of what the commentator was talking about. Again I am a neutral spectator, Carl is a Hockey fan and he had a great time and that’s why we were there. It was still a good experience and I would go to another game. Anyway we do have a couple photos –

We then drove back home arriving around 8:30. We had planned on going back to Disneyland as it was open until midnight but a few factors stopped us – we were a little tired, how packed it had been when we left and that it was too late to get a decent spot for the parade or fireworks.

Instead we chilled out in the hope we would have a little more stamina to make the most of tomorrow. I did some clothes washing from our first few days and we had our first beer of the trip

When we were lying in bed we could hear the fireworks which was fun, couldn’t see them though unfortunately. I think we were asleep by 10:30

Last edited:
Wow, what a packed first few days!

One day we'll get to Disneyland Paris :smickey: I'm enjoying your comparisons!

Hi! I've just finished reading the part where you eat at Cheesecake Factory. I already need to comment before I go any further!

Congrats on scoring a sweet ride! Carl looks pretty cool behind the wheel!

DH loves Kona Brewing Company!

My have a sweet tooth and I DON'T share my cheesecake!!! We used to go there a lot before the kids just so I can have dessert!

I'm all caught up! I've never been to WDW or DLP. It's interesting to hear your comparisons about the rides.

DH and I don't ride Matterhorn anymore because it hurts our backs. Indiana Jones hurts his back sometimes as well. I guess we aren't getting any younger!

Your condo looks so homey, nice, & spacious! How did you find it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter