Disneyland California (DL Tonight!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukstitch

<font color=deeppink>I'm not sure I'm quite your a
I know I've already asked this on the california board, but I'm going to add it here as well, because I know there's a few people who frequent this DLRP board who know quite a lot about the california parks. I hope that's ok with the moderators :)

Basically, I'm trying to add a short stay at Disneyland onto the end of my work trip to Seattle at the start of next month, but don't know where to start.

If anybody here can help, then the main post is linked just below, so if you could go to that post and add any thoughts or advice that you might have, then that would be fantastic. I'd like to keep this post fairly short, to avoid repeating the thread in two places. I might have to bump it occasionally though, once it drops off the front page (assuming that's ok :goodvibes )

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=27546940

Sorry no idea at all but just wanted to say I hope you get it added on as it'll be such a good opportunity to go while you're over there anyhow

Don't know much but I am sure at least one of the airports has a disney bus (like magical express for WDW??) hope you get to go and that we all get a trippie!!:lmao:

If you are able to fly from Seatle to either LAX, Burbank, Ontario or John Wayne airport you can easily get to Disneyland from there. Greyhound do a shuttle service from the airports which you can book via the web. Or we used a town car transfer service. On the California board they offer loads of great advice about hotels. We prefer to stay on site just to keep in the magic, but some of the off site motels are actually closer to the park than the Disney ones! The ones opposite the gates get good reviews, although these are motels. The Hojo hotel across from Disneyland does a dis board discount if you phone up as the manager posts on here.

If you are able to fly from Seatle to either LAX, Burbank, Ontario or John Wayne airport you can easily get to Disneyland from there. Greyhound do a shuttle service from the airports which you can book via the web. Or we used a town car transfer service. On the California board they offer loads of great advice about hotels. We prefer to stay on site just to keep in the magic, but some of the off site motels are actually closer to the park than the Disney ones! The ones opposite the gates get good reviews, although these are motels. The Hojo hotel across from Disneyland does a dis board discount if you phone up as the manager posts on here.

Unfortunately the HoJo seems to be fully booked for when I would be going :sad2:

Having looked at Expedia a bit, it seems that I might be able to get something sorted for just over £200, which seems reasonable :thumbsup2

Unfortunately the HoJo seems to be fully booked for when I would be going :sad2:

Having looked at Expedia a bit, it seems that I might be able to get something sorted for just over £200, which seems reasonable :thumbsup2

Thats good, which hotel are you thinking of staying in?

Thats good, which hotel are you thinking of staying in?

I'm not too fussed where I stay to be honest, because it's only a couple of nights. The America's Best Inn looks the cheapest at the moment. Obviously it's extremely basic, but it's close to DL and has beds, so looks reasonable for what I need.

Super Shuttle are a good charter minibus service that will get you from A-B for a good price!

The LA bus system is very good, as is the metro (although it runs through a pretty limited part of the city). I've never had an issue with LA public transport! :)

LAX definitely has a direct disney bus. :)

Also get a 3 day or more hopper ticket, if you get this you can get 1 magic morning (early entry) even if you stay off site. They are really useful to get Fantasyland done and the Matterhorn as none of those rides have fast pass. I would do Nemo 1st thing on a non magical morning day (magical mornings are Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun). On Magical Mornings Fantasyland is open plus Space Mountain, Buzz, Nemo and Star Tours.

I screamed So loud at the yeti on matterhorn. That ride is so bizarre!

have you ever done a Disney park on your own Mr Stitch? It will be very different to what you're used to I would imagine - all adds to the excitement though

have you ever done a Disney park on your own Mr Stitch? It will be very different to what you're used to I would imagine - all adds to the excitement though

No, but I've Thorpe Park on my own. I also quite regularly do certain rides at DLRP on my own, so I think I have a vague idea what to expect :goodvibes

Beth who joined us on our recent trip to DLP lives in Seattle and when we visited her in 2002 (omg its so long ago) on our Atlanta/Seattle blow out trip we flew down and visited DL. We flew down using Alaska Airlines who were very good. We hired a car for getting between LAX and Disney, not sure I would recommend this as the roads heading in there are mental, I am a US driving veteran and not sure I would want to drive there. We stayed at the Grand Californian which if you feel like splurging is a fantastic hotel, we had a view over Cailifornia Adventure which on a night just looks amazing. The hotel is very much like Wilderness Lodge in WDW. The parks over there are amazing and I would say the atmosphere and feel in Magic Kingdom is the best of the 3 I have visited. Their version of Fantasmic blows the WDW one out of the water. Forgot your original question hope this helps.

steve

I did a DL solo trip as an add-on to a work trip to san Diego in June this yr. I was lucky enough to be able to drive as SD is not too far, but obviously seattle is a bit far for that.

With the offsite hotels being so close DL is very easy when your doing it solo. I was there as a woman on my own and never felt out of place/frightened or anything even when staying offsite and walking back to hotel late at night with a lot of DSLR photo kit and bags full of souvenirs.

Worst part about it was hearing DH moan about the fact i was in DL and he wasn't, especially as we'd only been back from WDW about 3 weeks when i flew out.

I used the fact it was a solo trip to take my time and really explore and take lots of pics without needing to worry about whether i was boring DH by stopping to take photos every 10 paces. We'd actually been to DL about 6 months before so i didn't feel like i had to rush around - whihc was a good job as it was nearly 40 degrees when i was there in June.

I also used being on my own as a reason to stake out a spot for the fireworks really early, just sat and ate dinner (hotdog) with a book and taking in the atmosphere for a couple of hrs.

If you have any specific q's let me know.

I would NOT take SuperShuttle. They no longer guarantee a minimum of 3 stops and you could well be trailing all over the LA suburbs for hours. Last time after 2.5 hours a passenger called his wife to come get him and they dropped me off. I refuse to recommend them anymore, after years of using them.

www.airportbus.com is a good service; you will find schedules and coupons on their site. I've never had any issues with them.

And yes, I would look for what is cheapest from SEA - either LAX or SNA, although I don't think that there is much flying SEA - SNA nonstop anymore. Both are reasonably close to DL although of course SNA is far closer.

As to hotels, I would be careful. There are still a lot of very run down, 1960's motels around the DL area. You can find a reasonable chain location for not much money; check the DL forum. Many of the motels were used as residential locations for people in half-way house type situations, and are really not suitable for tourists. I wouldn't put yourself into that situation.

I have been to DL hundreds of times and have worked in that area as well; please let me know if you have any questions.

As I seem to be getting more responses here than on the California board, I'll ask this here:

Does anybody know much about this hotel:

Hotel Menage Anaheim Boutique Hotel

It seems to get decent reviews on places like Trip Advisor etc and also seems an ok price, as well as being fairly close to DL.

It is a former Holiday Inn; I can't comment on it but the website looks far better than what it used to be as a Holiday Inn.

Edited to add: that location I imagine is VERY noisy; I have been facing the freeway once and never again and I believe that it is between two freeways.

Also remember that anyone can make anything look lovely in a photo, so my comment abou the website looking better may not have any bearing at all! :)

Ok, I thought I'd update this thread with some new details. Hope that Ok with everybody (Cyrano, Ware Bears, Bexx).

I'm planning on keeping all my DL talk to this thread. I appreciate that there are other boards that this would be more suitable on, but I'd be grateful if it could stay here (pretty please), as most of the people that I know and who know me well on the DIS are based on the DLRP boards, so I'd like to share my excitement with them. This will be my sole DL thread on here though and I've marked it OT, so hopefully that's good enough - I'll just add my TR etc to here.

We'll my trip is now completely booked, so I guess it's time to write a pre-TR. :cool1:

The cast:

Me : Rob (23, addicted to Disney films for as long as I can remember and addicted to the parks since I visited WDW back in 1997)

DCroc : Felicity (bought after I became rather attached to the DLRP croc Fern. Unfortunately, there aren't any spare official crocs, so I'm providing my own :) )

DBear : Pooh (limited edition winter pooh from the UK disney stores. a little larger than croc and better suited as a night time friend :rolleyes1 )

So why am I the only human in my party of 3 travelling to a family place like Disneyland?

Well, about two weeks ago, a meeting was held in work which resulted in the decision to send me on a training course in Seattle, Washington, USA. Torsie24 then suggested that I could maybe visit DL (2 states south of Washington) while I was there, but I turned the suggestion down thinking that my company wouldn't be flexible enough to allow me to do it.

A day later, we had a work social, where I was talking to somebody about how I'd like to extend my trip and it was suggested that they actually might be co-operative and that if I asked nicely, then my return flight could possibly be booked slightly later. And so a seed was planted.

Towards the end of last week, it was confirmed that I would be going on the training course, so I then formally requested the extension. Finally, on thursday, my request for an extension was granted and I was provided with vague flight details, which allowed me to make the booking.

As it's an extension to a work trip, I'm unable to take anybody else from my family, which means I will be touring DL alone - not a real issue to me though.

The trip officially starts at 1pm on the 29th September, which is when I leave for Heathrow airport (straight from work and by taxi). I then fly out to Seattle-Tacoma at 17:35 (london time), landing at 19:10 (seattle time). I will then be making my way to hotel number 1 - the homestead in Redmond, which will be my home for

The 30th is a free day, so hopefully I'll be awake enough to travel back to Seattle and have a good look around the city for the day.

The 1st - 3rd will be spent studying my training course, which will take up almost the entire day on the 1st and 2nd (08:30 - 21:00 ish), then the morning of the 3rd (08:30 - 12:30).

Once finished with my training course, I will then be heading back to Seattle-Tacoma, where I will be boarding the 18:30 flight down south to a far more interesting place - John Wayne airport, landing at 21:11 :goodvibes

From John Wayne, I will be heading over to DL via the Disneyland Resort Express shuttle, to the Anaheim Camelot Inn & Suites, which will then be my home for the next 3 nights (3rd - 6th).

Hopefully I'll get to DL in time to pop over the road to the ticket booths and exchange my voucher for my actual ticket before they shut, but it's no disaster if this doesn't happen. If it doesn't happen, then I'll be trying to exchange it in time to attend Magic Mornings on the Saturday morning. If that doesn't happen, then I'll just take my magical morning on the monday one which is replacing Sunday's.

As this is my first trip to Disneyland, I currently have no clue how I'm going to attack the parks. I do know that Sunday night will be spend in California Adventure because the Disneyland park closes at 5pm because of the Miley Cyrus sweet 16 party. I'm hoping to do at least all the rides which are not in Paris or or are majorly different, as well as to generally take in the differences between California and Paris (I imagine there's a few).

I know there's a number of single rider queues which I will be making use of to make my life a little easier, plus I'm aiming to learn the "flaws" in the fastpass system so I can exploit them. I don't really know anything else though.

With this in mind, if anybody has any advice that can help me plan my time in the parks, I'd love to hear it :thumbsup2

What I do know about this trip, is that I'm extremely excited to be visiting the original Disneyland, as it's somewhere I didn't expect to be visiting any time soon.

Once my time at Disneyland finally comes to an end, I will be heading to the main Los Angeles airport for my return flight. My company were kind of enough to arrange my flights as a round trip, so I will be flying straight back to Heathrow from LA, leaving on the 21:15 monday (LA time) flight, arriving back at Heathrow at 15:30 on tuesday (London time). I will then most likely be trying to travel back home to the UK South Coast by coach and train.

All in all, I'm away for about 9 days which breaks down to 1 day visiting Seattle, 3 days training course, 3 days disney and 1 day travelling (I'm aware this doesn't add up right, so I don't know where the other day went :rotfl: )

This works out quite reasonably as I've only had to book 2 days holiday from work and the trip has only cost be about £350 for my tickets and accommodation. I do still need to add on airport travel and food to this though, although I do get an allowance for Seattle through work.

As it also happens to be 9 days until I leave for Seattle, I guess that can only mean one thing:

Single Digit Dance Time

3.gif

2.gif
2.gif

4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

SDD part 2 to come once I reach 9 days to Disneyland :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter