Disneyland cancels Eastern Gateway, more parking and hotel

I thought that the City of Anaheim had told Disney that they wanted the east gate closed down for safety reasons with all the people crossing Harbor.

Do you think they will build another park? I use to go to DLR, I have been a AP in the past, but the last 3 times I have gone its way to crowded, and I have gone during the "off" time - AKA while most schools are in secession. now putting up this nice hotel, where are all the people going to go during the day?

I've got a lot of thoughts on this.

1. DLR desperately needs a third park to deal with the stupid-crazy crowds they now have. .... And they build another hotel. Brilliant!!! That'll make EMH absolutely worthless.

2. I do love that at WDW, there's a bubble from all the Disney hotels. Will this bring that bubble feeling to DLR??? Or is it just adding more rooms that we'll NEVER EVER be able to afford?

3. They're taking out Rainforest Cafe??? I really hate this. That's a must do on nearly every trip we take. The food is better than most everything inside a Disney park (not hard), and they do theming there that's better than most DL restaurants. (And Earl was a fave before Celiac disease - hate this for everyone)

4. This will make the DLH a second tier hotel - though the prices will never reflect that. With completely blocked views of the park, and a blocked walk to the parks, DLH should see prices fall to PPH levels. But you know it never will.

5. With 4 hotels, will Disneyland now switch to the WDW method of FPs and allow their hotel guests to book FPs 30-60 days in advance? I'd like to think they wouldn't, but I'd bet money that they will.

6. Could they have at least themed it? I mean, it looks like just another blah hotel like PPH and DLH. They should've taken a page out of WDW playbook and created a resort hotel that provides an escape/bubble feeling. They got it right with Grand Cali. They're getting it wrong here. I'd rather stay at Legoland Hotel than PPH, DLH, or this new one. Why? It's all about THEMING! It's amazing to me that th DL imagineers are missing this.

1. DLR desperately needs a third park to deal with the stupid-crazy crowds they now have. .... And they build another hotel. Brilliant!!! That'll make EMH absolutely worthless.

2. I do love that at WDW, there's a bubble from all the Disney hotels. Will this bring that bubble feeling to DLR??? Or is it just adding more rooms that we'll NEVER EVER be able to afford?

3. They're taking out Rainforest Cafe??? I really hate this. That's a must do on nearly every trip we take. The food is better than most everything inside a Disney park (not hard), and they do theming there that's better than most DL restaurants. (And Earl was a fave before Celiac disease - hate this for everyone)

4. This will make the DLH a second tier hotel - though the prices will never reflect that. With completely blocked views of the park, and a blocked walk to the parks, DLH should see prices fall to PPH levels. But you know it never will.

5. With 4 hotels, will Disneyland now switch to the WDW method of FPs and allow their hotel guests to book FPs 30-60 days in advance? I'd like to think they wouldn't, but I'd bet money that they will.

6. Could they have at least themed it? I mean, it looks like just another blah hotel like PPH and DLH. They should've taken a page out of WDW playbook and created a resort hotel that provides an escape/bubble feeling. They got it right with Grand Cali. They're getting it wrong here. I'd rather stay at Legoland Hotel than PPH, DLH, or this new one. Why? It's all about THEMING! It's amazing to me that th DL imagineers are missing this.

Disneyland needs the parking first and foremost. A hotel takes up much less space than a theme park. I am not against another theme park but they need to fix the parking issues.

Higher levels of DLH will still be able to see the parks/fireworks. The new resort is lower than DLH.

I can't see them going to a FP+ method. Maxpass has been working well for them so far.

I agree its a little blah.

Disneyland needs the parking first and foremost. A hotel takes up much less space than a theme park. I am not against another theme park but they need to fix the parking issues.

Higher levels of DLH will still be able to see the parks/fireworks. The new resort is lower than DLH.

I can't see them going to a FP+ method. Maxpass has been working well for them so far.

I agree its a little blah.

idk though, Disney is about to overload their mickey and friends tram system... its pretty bad as it is now, with a new structure, i cant imagine how the wait time for that would be.
putting the east side structure makes more sense. The Harbor residence probably should have made a better input on that by like making things wide open. people who are on the way home going to the east side parking structure could possibly stop at the local restaurants and maybe eat something before going home.

but with 2 structures on the west side and parking structure, i feel like there would be a ton more traffic keeping the guest within Disney.

idk though, Disney is about to overload their mickey and friends tram system... its pretty bad as it is now, with a new structure, i cant imagine how the wait time for that would be.
putting the east side structure makes more sense. The Harbor residence probably should have made a better input on that by like making things wide open. people who are on the way home going to the east side parking structure could possibly stop at the local restaurants and maybe eat something before going home.

but with 2 structures on the west side and parking structure, i feel like there would be a ton more traffic keeping the guest within Disney.
They didn't have much of a choice. Disney needed parking improvements and Eastern Gateway wasn't happening. I believe it said they would be changing the tram configuration for the new garage.

Do you think they will build another park? I use to go to DLR, I have been a AP in the past, but the last 3 times I have gone its way to crowded, and I have gone during the "off" time - AKA while most schools are in secession. now putting up this nice hotel, where are all the people going to go during the day?
Same 2 parks with one or two more lands. No new park. There is literally no land for it. SWL pushed the boundaries pretty much as far as they could. Marvel land in DCA will be another challenge. They absolutely do not have space for a third park without some serious land grab in the area and that is completely cost prohibitive- they barely ponied up enough to buy the thin little hotel that they did for Eastern Gateway! And that investment was unfortunate, for now at least.

I REALLY see Disney closing the East entrance. That street is where the protestors, panhandlers and the missionaries are. And someone is bound to get hit in that overrun crosswalk. Maybe they will allow people to flow out as an exit at night, but not an entrance with security. That land has great potential for park expansions or restaurants.
It also absolutely strengthens the security to prevent terrorism/shooter getting into a park and...
Frankly, it's a big middle finger for not getting cooperation on their bridge and parking structure.
They close that gate and then three years later say, "can we put a parking lot and bridge there?!!" Not one hotel or restaurant would turn them down. Not one.

It's brilliant really.

Yeah right, but we can dream no? In thinking of the pricing scheme and GCH being the flagship for the resort I'm wondering how they'll price compared to GCH. If GCH remains the GF of DLR it needs to have the highest prices, then MysteryMouse Hotel, then DLH, PPH still bottom. Then Disney leaves MysteryMouse Hotel (got to call it something!) off the discounts. Want the newest hotel? You'll have to pay the highest price.

Love your run-down!
1. Hopefully opening more rides during EMH will help. Having SWL open during EMH and (maybe, it's pretty much a given that in the next couple years they announce this no?) Marvel in DCA will certainly absorb EMH crowds. I'm also wondering if they'll ditch giving away the DL EMH with 3+ day park hopper tickets to decrease DL EMH crowds when SWL opens. I really don't think they need the DL EMH perk to sell people on a 3rd day or park hopper tickets anymore...
2. I do think it will give it much more of a bubble feel. And will have correspondingly choke a horse prices. All the hotel prices should increase with these additions and SWL.
3. Serious bummer! So sad for you guys! I really hope they incorporate RC into the new hotel somehow. Considering it should be all gardeny, greenery, watery themed at least that's going in RC's favor. (And I hope they incorporate Earl, and the 2nd Starbucks...)
4. Yeah right, but we can dream no? In thinking of the pricing scheme and GCH being the flagship for the resort I'm wondering how they'll price compared to GCH. If GCH remains the GF of DLR shouldn't it have the highest prices? Then MysteryMouse Hotel (I gotta to call it something!), then DLH, PPH still bottom. Then Disney leaves MysteryMouse Hotel off the discounts. Want the newest hotel? You'll have to pay the highest price. Although, that only works during discount enforced times so, hmm... raise all hotel prices substantially enough in order to run more "discounts". Jeez, I'm a ray of sunshine today...
5. MP is a money printing machine- when the system isn't crashed. Definitely not gonna change it and then give it away for free to hotel guests. As far as early booking, idk. Imho APs would make a mess of that so fast our heads would spin with the pulled but unused FPs. (Although with the crazy crowd levels these days when APs aren't blocked it sounds like Disney needs to make big $$$$ changes to the whole AP program anyway.)
6. RIGHT? I cannot adequately express my disappointment with the look/theme of this hotel using family friendly language! Hopefully that's one of those minor details they just haven't figured out yet, hence no hotel name!

Last edited:
Some additional thoughts:

Rainforest Cafe & Earl of Sandwich:
I honestly hope that they do NOT put these in the new hotel. Really. Put in brand new restaurants that haven't existed anywhere else before. No chains.

Starbucks:
You bet your bottom dollar that the new hotel WILL have SOME sort of CS restaurant at which you will be able to purchase various types of coffee drinks. BUT I doubt it'll be a Starbucks.

Other restaurant stuff:
They'll probably have:
  • a buffet-based character meal
  • a CS restaurant w/breakfast, lunch, & dinner options
  • a primo signature dining fancy schmancy restaurant along the lines of Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose
  • a lounge-y/bar sort of place where you can sit and have drinks and appetizers off of the fancy restaurant menu
EMH, FP+, etc:
I wouldn't be surprised that when Star Wars Land opens, the ONLY way you will get EMH @ DL is to be staying on site. For about the first year after SWL first opens. EMH every morning @ DL for Star Wars Land wouldn't be out of the question for the first 3-4 months.

I also wouldn't be surprised that in order to not tick off all of the 3+ day park hopper ticket holders, that Disney changes the rule so that at this same time, the only park you can use EMH for is DCA.

THEN at some point after the SWL frenzy subsides a bit (i.e., attraction wait times aren't 8 hr long), they move EMH for 3+ day PH tickets to go back to the current system (DL only).

DL is not going to do FP+ that you can reserve/book before your arrival. It's a model that works fine at WDW, but DL has a different customer base than WDW does and Disney has said that it wouldn't work well at DL. So if you want to book FP+ for Star Wars Land rides, you'll have to go to WDW for that.

What I do think will happen at DL is local So Cal residents who are AP holders will devote whole weekends to standing in line just to go on the 2 attractions in SWL. I also think that even WITH Max Pass, FPs for those SWL attractions will be gone in an hour for the whole day.

So the ONLY way you'll have ANY hope of riding them with FP for the first year after SWL premiers will be:

1. stay at 1 of the 4 on site hotels
  2. line up at the DL main gate 1 hour before EMH opening
  3. walk with purpose to SWL. Go on 1 ride during EMH, be in line for ride #2 before EMH ends if you're lucky.
  4. when regular park opening begins, be on the DL app on your smart phone and use Max Pass to get FPs for 1 of the SWL rides.
  5. Repeat the process the next day, only use Max Pass to get FP for the other ride that you didn't do FP with the previous day.
  6. Be prepared for long FP lines anyway for the first couple of months with frequent ride break downs and cranky guests.
Our family are huge huge Star Wars fans. I would happily plunk down $800/night just to get EMH access to Star Wars Land for the first time we see SWL. Having this 4th hotel available will mean 700 more on site hotel rooms per day.

I have noticed multiple comments on how it will be more crowded with a new hotel. I don’t think it will. SWL opening will create more crowds... but the DL base crowds do not all stay on site like they do at WDW. One more hotel *may* draw some people off Harbor, especially if they reprice the existing hotels... make PHP a little less than it is now... closer to a WDW “value resort”, DLH would be a high end “moderate” and the new hotel and GCH could be the deluxe hotels. There really aren’t too many “Resort” hotels anywhere near DL, so I think the area can handle this addition. EMH may be slightly more crowded after the hotel opens. But really, lots of people stay on site and never use EMH... or fast passes even. The average attendee doesn’t have half a clue... vs all of us on disboards. I am excited to see what happens... I am just still trying to figure out where the pool is going! :beach:

Same 2 parks with one or two more lands. No new park. There is literally no land for it. SWL pushed the boundaries pretty much as far as they could. Marvel land in DCA will be another challenge. They absolutely do not have space for a third park without some serious land grab in the area and that is completely cost prohibitive- they barely ponied up enough to buy the thin little hotel that they did for Eastern Gateway! And that investment was unfortunate, for now at least.

They already have the land for the third gate. It is the Toy Story parking lot. Which is located directly south of the now cancelled eastern gateway.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about the new hotel. Part of me thinks it's a good idea; if nothing else, they really should add more DVC space, and I like the idea of more very good hotel rooms within the resort. The current DLR hotels are fair (PPH), good (DLH), and good+ (GCH) but there really isn't a great IMO. This hotel seems like it's a pretty good mixture and I love the monorail stop like the old DLH had. In fact, it basically IS the old DLH stop. BUT it isn't great. It's another good or possibly good+ but the concept art is rarely what you get in the final product so that remains to be seen.

I am unhappy with what it will do to the DLH. Not sure about all of the repercussions, but obviously it will affect things from view to access as well as remove some of the nice DTD options at that end that were easily accessed from DLH. Perhaps that will be made up for with the dining and shopping options in the new hotel, but that's hard to predict.

On a personal level, I wish they had gone with a Polynesian-type theme. I would love to see something like the Tahitian Terrace show of old and Trader Sam's on a grander scale. It's the perfect place to go with an Adventure or Tropical theme. But maybe that's stepping on DLH toes, though they sure could use another, or larger, tiki bar IMO.

We will be eating at Rainforest on 10/31 before going in for the Halloween Party, I wonder how soon they'll start on the construction project?

I REALLY see Disney closing the East entrance. That street is where the protestors, panhandlers and the missionaries are. And someone is bound to get hit in that overrun crosswalk. Maybe they will allow people to flow out as an exit at night, but not an entrance with security. That land has great potential for park expansions or restaurants.
It also absolutely strengthens the security to prevent terrorism/shooter getting into a park and...
Frankly, it's a big middle finger for not getting cooperation on their bridge and parking structure.
They close that gate and then three years later say, "can we put a parking lot and bridge there?!!" Not one hotel or restaurant would turn them down. Not one.

It's brilliant really.

This is pretty much what I thought when I first read about all of this. They need that land for Marvel Land! and it would be a big middle finger to all those places on Harbor! The Toy Story busses can just deliver everyone over on the West side!

especially with a new bowling alley being put in

Isn't/wasn't there a bowling alley at GardenWalk that NO ONE ever went to? If people wanted bowling they could have walked 10 minutes. I mean, to get to WDW's bowling alley they have to be in a bus for 30 minutes...

it is a bit of a throw back to what Disneyland Hotel used to be - only hopefully, with top level service.

Has Disney shown anything even closer to "top level service" in the last 5 years?

Or is it just adding more rooms that we'll NEVER EVER be able to afford?

Totally. And with DVC being rumored, and the current prices, it'll likely be 200 per point if it has DVC...

PPH is already charging ridiculous prices. I love PPH but it's NOT worth what it's been for a couple years.

Did you hear that WDW is now opening the 60 day to select offsite hotels like near Disney Springs?

Disneyland needs the parking first and foremost.

Why? I really don't get it. Are there scads of people trying to park, finding nothing, and going home?

That street is where the protestors, panhandlers and the missionaries are.

I've only seen protesters outside PPH and I've never seen the latter two. Homeless people, sure, but not actual panhandlers, and never missionaries. And even if we did, who cares?

And someone is bound to get hit in that overrun crosswalk.

Have they yet?

That land has great potential for park expansions or restaurants.

In your first case there won't BE any hotels there, or any current restaurants to say no...

I am unclear as to what happens to the security entrance at that end of DTD?

I am unclear as to what happens to the security entrance at that end of DTD?

It looks like it will be between the DLH and this new hotel. In the picture it's a white tent looking thing in the middle of the new hotel close to the DLH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter