Disneyland cancels Eastern Gateway, more parking and hotel

We will be eating at Rainforest on 10/31 before going in for the Halloween Party, I wonder how soon they'll start on the construction project?
Both projects (hotel and parking structure expansion) are set to break ground in 2018. The structure is to start by February with hopes of completion by early 2019 for it to be ready for Galaxy’s Edge.

Why? I really don't get it. Are there scads of people trying to park, finding nothing, and going home?
Parking has been a serious issue at Disneyland for quite a long time. It’s only going to get worse with more crowds for Star Wars. Mickey and Friends will routinely fill up.

I REALLY see Disney closing the East entrance. That street is where the protestors, panhandlers and the missionaries are. And someone is bound to get hit in that overrun crosswalk. Maybe they will allow people to flow out as an exit at night, but not an entrance with security. That land has great potential for park expansions or restaurants.
It also absolutely strengthens the security to prevent terrorism/shooter getting into a park and...
Frankly, it's a big middle finger for not getting cooperation on their bridge and parking structure.
They close that gate and then three years later say, "can we put a parking lot and bridge there?!!" Not one hotel or restaurant would turn them down. Not one.

It's brilliant really.

This is exactly what I was thinking about today. I would be money on them either closing the eastern security checkpoint altogether or making it nearly impossible to access unless you walk down to Katella and up. From a psychology/organizational psychology perspective, it's playing hardball, but would be extremely effective in the long run.

Parking has been a serious issue at Disneyland for quite a long time. It’s only going to get worse with more crowds for Star Wars. Mickey and Friends will routinely fill up.
@bumbershoot the above is a huge problem. My guess is that you are a DLR visitor that stays at a hotel and walks over? I am a local AP holder and on the regular during this Halloween season Mickey and Friends has shut down for several hours to new people parking. This commonly occurs when local APs are unblocked. Also, hopefully with this expansion of lanes etc it will help with what I experienced to park this past Saturday. On Saturday at approximately 10:30am it took me 30 minutes from the bottom of freeway off ramp to park at Mickey and Friends which is less than a mile distance between the 2 and I used the flyover bridge. Traffic was backed up to the freeway off ramp.

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned this article on the OC Register --> http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...and-be-a-death-blow-for-businesses-on-harbor/

I disagree with the author's theory that this could spell the demise of Harbor Blvd businesses and here's why:

Although I don't think this is the demise of Harbor businesses (unless they close the entrance), I actually had similar thoughts as the article. I think they will continue to have similar customer base as they have always had. However, I never understood the disagreement the businesses had with the parking structure once Disney said they could build direct access to the new gateway. Yes, it was a slightly longer walk to McDonald's, BUT 6500 cars were going to be parking RIGHT behind McDonald's. The businesses were kind of being dumb on this I think. Perhaps some families wouldn't want to walk to McDs for lunch, but hey we'll stop there on our way out of the parks for dinner or ice cream or we'll stop there on our way in for breakfast. It shouldn't have been such a big deal to them. I think it would have meant MORE business for them not less.

I REALLY see Disney closing the East entrance. That street is where the protestors, panhandlers and the missionaries are. And someone is bound to get hit in that overrun crosswalk. Maybe they will allow people to flow out as an exit at night, but not an entrance with security. That land has great potential for park expansions or restaurants.
It also absolutely strengthens the security to prevent terrorism/shooter getting into a park and...
Frankly, it's a big middle finger for not getting cooperation on their bridge and parking structure.
They close that gate and then three years later say, "can we put a parking lot and bridge there?!!" Not one hotel or restaurant would turn them down. Not one.

It's brilliant really.

This could happen. Then those hotels will suffer. I hope it doesn't, but it sure could.

I'm just glad Disney is doing something in regards to parking, even though this will lopside incoming traffic even further into the western side of the resort. Traffic into M&F already gets gridlocked very often on busy weekends, and now adding in even more incoming traffic?

They did say they would add more lanes for better traffic flow. They also are supposed to be doing something to help guests get to the park easier from the structures.

EMH, FP+, etc:
I wouldn't be surprised that when Star Wars Land opens, the ONLY way you will get EMH @ DL is to be staying on site. For about the first year after SWL first opens. EMH every morning @ DL for Star Wars Land wouldn't be out of the question for the first 3-4 months.

I also wouldn't be surprised that in order to not tick off all of the 3+ day park hopper ticket holders, that Disney changes the rule so that at this same time, the only park you can use EMH for is DCA.

I was thinking along these lines too. Move EMH for 3-day tickets to DCA and offer EMH at Star Wars Land initially for hotel guests. Of course, the new hotel doesn't play into this (unless it is a permanent change) because it won't open until 2 years after Star Wars Land.

They already have the land for the third gate. It is the Toy Story parking lot. Which is located directly south of the now cancelled eastern gateway.

True. They could use that land. But I think they would still need another parking structure to replace the Toy Story lot if they used the land.

Not a fan. It already seems very crowded and will only get worse. I was thinking about getting APs again, but maybe I will hold off. We need to use up our ESPN game cards ASAP.

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of onsite guests are families with young children. I would bet that most of these families are staying offsite due to the exorbitant cost of the onsite hotels. And I do not believe that Disney cares much about these folks. They want to attract more adults with money to the resort.

Right. Everyone says it’s a problem. But they aren’t describing the problem. Not even the post below yours really explains it.

We’ve done it all sorts of ways. We’ve found that the enforcement of which way you go is the problem. Once we get to a lot it’s nearky empty. Maybe. We were once directed to gardenwalk where we could wait for a bus or just walk, when others posting about coming in the other way were being sent to other lots. We didn’t want to go to gw. But we weren’t expert enough to go the other way.

But either way we aren’t blocked. We park, we get there. Our fault for not going early enough.

Right. Everyone says it’s a problem. But they aren’t describing the problem. Not even the post below yours really explains it.

We’ve done it all sorts of ways. We’ve found that the enforcement of which way you go is the problem. Once we get to a lot it’s nearky empty. Maybe. We were once directed to gardenwalk where we could wait for a bus or just walk, when others posting about coming in the other way were being sent to other lots. We didn’t want to go to gw. But we weren’t expert enough to go the other way.

But either way we aren’t blocked. We park, we get there. Our fault for not going early enough.
What you are talking about is a separate issue. They will sometimes redirect traffic flow when certain lots are not full in order to fill the less desirable lots first when they know they are going to busy. The bigger problem is not enough spaces overall, where it leads to all of their lots being full or near capacity during the peak times of the years when the locals are out in force. Such as Halloween weekends etc.

I REALLY see Disney closing the East entrance...Frankly, it's a big middle finger for not getting cooperation on their bridge and parking structure....
There seem to be several who agree with this, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think it that closing the East entrance is a big middle finger for all the visitors who can't afford to stay on-site. When the Eastern Gateway was proposed, I estimated that it would add half a mile of walking distance every time we wanted to enter or leave the park, so 1-2 miles each day. That really adds up over a few days! If Harbor is no longer walking distance, are those thousands of visitors going to park in the new parking garage? The non-Disney hotels/motels on all other sides of the resort are not what I would call walking distance either. What good options would be left for guests who don't say onsite?

Hopefully the offsite hotels will provide a shuttle. Otherwise there are no good options and people will have to save longer in order to stay onsite or charge it all on a credit card. Sad.

There seem to be several who agree with this, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think it that closing the East entrance is a big middle finger for all the visitors who can't afford to stay on-site. When the Eastern Gateway was proposed, I estimated that it would add half a mile of walking distance every time we wanted to enter or leave the park, so 1-2 miles each day. That really adds up over a few days! If Harbor is no longer walking distance, are those thousands of visitors going to park in the new parking garage?
I totally agree with you about guests taking the brunt of it. I would imagine Disney or more likely ART could bus Harbor guests to the west entrance.
I am still thinking back to Erin Glover's first Eastern Gateway announcement, they talked about all misc transportation infrastructure at the East gate moving out of its current location to across Harbor. I STILL believe Disney wants to move all the hotel shuttles, ART, taxis, security etc to free up land. Since I am not local my geography is a little (okay a lot) fuzzy but moving the bus areas and closing the gate seems like it opens up land adjacent to both DL and DCA? I believe they had plans for that land.
Why would Disney continue to allow offsite Harbor hotels closer access to their parks? Especially when those hotels have been threatening to fight/sue Disney and threw a big wrench in their master plan. The other thing is while those hotels have premium access, the real estate values are inflated.
Now it seems instead Disney has had to alter their master plans for Downtown Disney, the new hotel, plowing expensive and profitable businesses, etc. I can't imagine this west side plan is remotely plan A. Its like plan D or G. It's a complete cluster. This makes me think Disney is sacrificing to STILL do what they want with land at the East Entrance. They wanted to free it all up and free it all up, they will.
Yes, I am speculating, but I can't fathom why Disney is ripping out so much of their own to move ahead with their plans and keep it on schedule. Would they intentionally hurt Harbor businesses, no. But, if they get hit hard in the process, Disney I think can and should say, "did your business take a hit? We ripped up half a perfectly good mall instead of using land we owned and footing the bill for a bridge for YOUR guests, tough freaking Mickey bars..."

Last edited:
I remember reading something not too long ago about MarvelLand taking up HollywoodLand and also the area where the Toy Story buses and other shuttles let out. If that is the plan, it would make sense that they would close the Eastern entrance. I don't know where all the buses would drop off if they did that. Maybe at the new parking structure? It's hard to imagine and it also sounds like it will be a PITA to stay at DLR without staying onsite.

I am wondering if any DLH floors actually lose their park view? Park view rooms are only floors 7-9 correct? Looking at the mock up, their sight line appears pretty unaffected.
Studying the model I am trying to decide how many of the new rooms will have unblocked fireworks views.
I also just spent a ridiculous amount of time counting the balconies, including the obstructed ones in the other model. I may be obsessed. :sad2:

I am wondering if any DLH floors actually lose their park view? Park view rooms are only floors 7-9 correct? Looking at the mock up, their sight line appears pretty unaffected.
Studying the model I am trying to decide how many of the new rooms will have unblocked fireworks views.
I also just spent a ridiculous amount of time counting the balconies, including the obstructed ones in the other model. I may be obsessed. :sad2:

What is considered park view anyway? Our last trip we were in a standard room on the 5th floor in the Adventure Tower and could clearly see Matterhorn, Mickey’s Fun Wheel and the fireworks.

I imagine it’s like you said, a set level of floors, not the actual view?

@bumbershoot the above is a huge problem. My guess is that you are a DLR visitor that stays at a hotel and walks over? I am a local AP holder and on the regular during this Halloween season Mickey and Friends has shut down for several hours to new people parking. This commonly occurs when local APs are unblocked. Also, hopefully with this expansion of lanes etc it will help with what I experienced to park this past Saturday. On Saturday at approximately 10:30am it took me 30 minutes from the bottom of freeway off ramp to park at Mickey and Friends which is less than a mile distance between the 2 and I used the flyover bridge. Traffic was backed up to the freeway off ramp.

Where I live they have all but given up on making traffic better for people - the future supposedly is not in using cars to get anywhere but to rely on mass transit/bikes etc. I hate it, since I live far enough away that I drive and have seen my commute increase, but issues like this make me see why they're trying this route. Even if they improve access to the lots, more people will just come in cars. Make it pleasant today and in 10 years you'll have to do more and more when they are already running out of land.... and Disney doesn't own the freeways. I don't begrudge civil planners their jobs, that's for sure.

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of onsite guests are families with young children. I would bet that most of these families are staying offsite due to the exorbitant cost of the onsite hotels. And I do not believe that Disney cares much about these folks. They want to attract more adults with money to the resort.

As an adult with money (a little money mind you but enough to vacation a few times a year) I'd love to sit down and talk with Disney about what we'd like to see to get more of our money in their pockets. Our trip to DL last weekend was pretty awful but I don't think they care. I don't think they're after people like us either... I feel like DL is mostly interested in locals who have all the time in the world to stand in line or wait for shows to see a couple things in an entire day and will come back constantly. We had a pretty bad time last weekend due to crowds (so bad they even ran out of room for the RESERVED area of F! for Blue Bayou packages... man we were angry) and I can't imagine that staying at an onsite hotel would have made it any more pleasant with the current perks.

It looks to me like the Adventure Tower premium DTD view will now be a very direct view of the new hotel. That's a bummer.

We had a pretty bad time last weekend due to crowds (so bad they even ran out of room for the RESERVED area of F! for Blue Bayou packages... man we were angry)
That sounds terrible. I wonder if they oversold or if they just had an extreme amount of very large people who took up more space than they expected. That is horrible planning and I can't help but wonder if the area got full of people who didn't have reserved seating, but managed to get in there somehow.

It looks to me like the Adventure Tower premium DTD view will now be a very direct view of the new hotel. That's a bummer.
Yes Adventure Tower suddenly went from most desirable to least. In the short term, while new hotel is under construction, it is certainly going to be less pleasant to be a DLH guest. Getting back and forth through or around the new construction site will not be magical. During the day, they'll be building a huge hotel right next door and so likely midday naps and rest time (especially for those in Adventure T) will be noisy. Monorail will likely be down for some amount of time while they redo the DTD platform to integrate into new hotel.

DLH had been our go-to onsite hotel, but with mega construction project, I am thinking we may return to GCH for the duration. They've spiffed up the rooms over there too. I bet they boost GCH pricing though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter